Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cory Redding To Colts?

grmasterb

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

on the NFL.com page it still has Wayne having the colts as one of two teams being favored in getting his services. although he would like to go where manning goes he dont plan on waiting until manning signs. so theres still that good chance the colts can bring him back, would be nice to have wayne back since the colts lost Garcon to the redskins, he could help Luck out. and grabbing redding would be an alright fit. pags has coached him so redding will be familiar with his coaching style. what about trying to bring in Carr for CB also? could be a nice fit too. and maybe signing zybikowski

Do you not know the difference between a 3-4 DE and 4-3 DE? The effectiveness of a 3-4 DE does not usually show up on a stat sheet. It rather is observed on game film. A 3-4 DE is supposed to, in most cases (2-gap systems), eat up blockers to create lanes for the aggressive linebackers. Therefore, the fact that he has as many sacks as he does is a testament to how good he is. Not saying he is a stud by any means, because honestly I don't know very much about him, but those stats don't mean anything. You can't compare stats between 3-4 and 4-3 DEs.

Also, I expect the Colts to only sign him if he is going to be cheap. I don't think Grigson wants to break the bank on anybody this year; it being his first year I fully expect him to take extra precaution in trying not to overspend.

He's only been a 3-4 DE for 2 years.

Its funny to me that people come here with a screen name like "LaughingatIrsay" and say stuff like this and yet you apparently do not understand football. Freeney is not a 3-4 DE not even close. Redding is the prototypical 3-4 DE and is a solid player. Freeney does not fit the system and is a good as gone. Redding will know the system and can help the other players on D. You see, if you understand the big picture sometimes its easier to understand what is really going on.

I'm sure I know way more football then you think you may know. I know Freeney is not a 3-4 DE but neither was Redding until he got to the Ravens. He played the same position Freeny played in 7 straight years. I see the bigger picture but if you are rebuilding, why bring in a 31 soon to be 32 yrs old instead of a younger 3-4 DE? He won't be playing beside Ngata, Suggs, Cody or Ray Lewis in Indy! If he's cheap fine but other then that, bad signing & that's just my opinion! & yeah about my name, I changed it because I am laughing at Irsay because he's looking more & more like his father. My name doesn't mean I don't know football. :whatever:

To be fair he played DT in Detroit his first six years (and I believe his seventh in Seattle). That's not a sack-filled position.

No he played DE in Detroit. Idk about Seattle but he was a 4-3 DE in with the Lions.

I just assume he was targeted first because he worked under Pagano. Maybe he would be an easy cheap acquisition, who knows.

That could be true.

So the 1st Free Agent they go after is Cory Redding??.. WOW! Rebuilding?? He's 31 already & the 1st player the Colts target. Smh!!! Let's try & trade Freeney and bring in a guy who's a couple of months younger & not the player Dwight is. I understand Freeney is owed a lot of money but Cory Redding? His play is thanks to Suggs & Ngata.

Cory Redding - 131 games played.. 25.5 sacks

Dwight Freeney - 149 games played.. 102.5 sacks

Yeah he fits the system but it would be a bad signing IMO, especially being the 1st player Colts targeted!

You need to educate yourself on the 3-4 defense and what a 5 technique DEs responsibility is if you're going to compare his stats to Freeney. The Colts had a choice between Freeney and Mathis, they only need one rush OLB, and chose Mathis.

lol, athough this would be a good signing, how does it helps us??????????????????????? Were going to suck for 3-4 years and by then he will be too old to play anymore. Were rebuilding remember. Why the heck would anyone want to come and sign with this team if they want to win and win now. You only have so many years to play and to play 3 of your prime years for a rebuilding team makes no sense.

You need to educate yourself on the 3-4 defense and what a 5 technique DEs responsibility is if you're going to compare his stats to Freeney. The Colts had a choice between Freeney and Mathis, they only need one rush OLB, and chose Mathis.

No maybe you need to educate yourself. I'm comparing the stats because he has only played 3-4 DE for 2 season's and only 7.5 sacks in that time. All 7 years before that he played the same position as Freeney, 4-3 DE! His play only got better when he joined the Ravens & played along side all of those Pro Bowl players (Ngata, Suggs, Lewis). I'm not saying keep Freeney and play him at DE in a 3-4 D. I'm saying if they rebuilding, why not go younger because he may know the system but he may not play how he played along side Ngata, but like I said that's just my opinion. Everyone is intitle to one.

lol, athough this would be a good signing, how does it helps us??????????????????????? Were going to suck for 3-4 years and by then he will be too old to play anymore. Were rebuilding remember. Why the heck would anyone want to come and sign with this team if they want to win and win now. You only have so many years to play and to play 3 of your prime years for a rebuilding team makes no sense.

Cory Redding could be an indictment against Jamaal Anderson playing DE. Cory's pro day results were: 6-4 274lbs, 4.88F, 29V, 26Reps, 7.09C, 4.28S and 33 inch arms. He is about 20 lbs heavier now and played LDE for the Ravens last year. He was good against the run and not a bad pass rusher. Maybe he is paired with Fili Maola at DEs. Maybe Antonio Johnson has been miscased as a NT and could be moved to a rotational DE.

This is not a big surprise. Like I reported yesterday in the Paul Soliai thread, the Colts are interviewing a lot of DTs/NTs for that new NT and DE spot. You should expect to see more free agents come in.

we cannot afford Freeney unless he re-structures, then of course we have to play a hybrid to turn him loose on pass plays which means we would have to have Mathis over playing two positions, bla bla bla.......dont like it. i hope they dont try to re-sign him....no offense Dwight, love ya to death.

You don't judge defensive linemen in a 3-4 by their stats.

True, the LB's get all the press and stats! I hope this happens plus I read where there was some "play" on Somali(sp?) from the Fins....gotta have a real NT to make this thing work ;)

You don't judge defensive linemen in a 3-4 by their stats.

Exactly look at Justin Smith or JJ Watt. Both players didn't have that many sacks or an outstanding amount of tackles, but look at their impacts.

Redding would be a solid addition as a 3-4 DE and I think that Jamaal Anderson could play the other end and then slide inside when they go to a 4-3. Where does this leave Mathis? Like Suggs with the Ravens, he'll play up in the 3-4, which fits him much more than Freeney, and he'll put his hand on the ground from the left side when they go to the 4-3. So they need a nose tackle (FA, middle round draft pick, or maybe Antonia Johnson can add 15 pounds and get up around 325?) and another pass rushing end (maybe Hughes?). Moala, Brayton and others can provide depth.

Redding would be a solid addition as a 3-4 DE and I think that Jamaal Anderson could play the other end and then slide inside when they go to a 4-3. Where does this leave Mathis? Like Suggs with the Ravens, he'll play up in the 3-4, which fits him much more than Freeney, and he'll put his hand on the ground from the left side when they go to the 4-3. So they need a nose tackle (FA, middle round draft pick, or maybe Antonia Johnson can add 15 pounds and get up around 325?) and another pass rushing end (maybe Hughes?). Moala, Brayton and others can provide depth.

Jamaal Anderson is too small to play a 3-4 DE. He would have to play 3-4 OLB, which isn't the greatest fit. Look for him and Foster to not be coming back. This is however, a great opportunity for Jerry Hughes. Also, how does this fit him more than it fits Freeney, both of them have never played that spot before, so it's equally as difficult and new. Moala has played 3-4 before at USC, and Nevis needs to learn how to play, but has perfect size and smarts to play it. He could be one of those 3-4 DE guys that can get to the QB. Kinda like Cullen Jenkins when he was with the Packers, or Darnell Dockett and Calais Campbell with the Cards. You're right though, they need a NT and even if Johnson gains 100 pounds, he's still a a starter. He's a backup at best.

Anderson is 6-6, 289. Maybe he doesn't have as much bulk as some 3-4 DEs but he's strong against the run. But you may be right and the new staff decides he isn't what they're looking for and cut him. Regarding Freeney versus Mathis playing up, Mathis really is built much more like a LB and Freeney like a DE. While both are exceptionally fast in getting to the QB, my impression based on watching a lot of games over the past several years is that Mathis is more athletic and agile and would have an easier transition to LB. If Anderson is too small for the 3-4 DE, then both Freeney and Mathis a way too small.

Anderson is 6-6, 289. Maybe he doesn't have as much bulk as some 3-4 DEs but he's strong against the run. But you may be right and the new staff decides he isn't what they're looking for and cut him. Regarding Freeney versus Mathis playing up, Mathis really is built much more like a LB and Freeney like a DE. While both are exceptionally fast in getting to the QB, my impression based on watching a lot of games over the past several years is that Mathis is more athletic and agile and would have an easier transition to LB. If Anderson is too small for the 3-4 DE, then both Freeney and Mathis a way too small.

Sorry bud, 6'6 272 pounds is listed on his NFL.com profile (http://www.nfl.com/player/jamaalanderson/2507165/profile)

Still too small for 3-4 DE and not that fast for a 3-4 OLB.

You must understand that a 3-4 OLB is not your typical linebacker. A typical linebacker are the Ray Lewis' or the Brian Urlachers or the Patrick Willis. These guys are big, fast and are great pass rushers. They are standing up defensive ends.

Who said Freeney + Mathis would be playing 3-4 DE. It is confirmed that they would be playing 3-4 OLB, which is the perfect spot for them on this 3-4 defense.

Incorrect. He played DE for 3 years for Detroit, then was moved inside to DT where he played for 3 years.

He started at DE because he was 274 lbs and was fast. He balloned up to about 300 lbs but he is still agile and can play both DE and DT. If we could sign him he helps our run defense at DE and becomes an inside rusher as a 4-3 DT. This versatility allows the team to pass rush from both formations when teams run a no huddle,

http://www.stampedeb...-visiting-colts

looks likely redding will sign

So, he's just visiting, doesn't mean he'll sign. Manning is visiting the Titans tomorrow, does that mean he'll sign with them, NO! However...

I would like to see him on the team. He could provide a nice immediate impact at DE and let Moala and Nevis rotate at the other 3-4 spot. This would be a very nice signings that I would love. Remember, quality players, not superstars.

So, he's just visiting, doesn't mean he'll sign. Manning is visiting the Titans tomorrow, does that mean he'll sign with them, NO! However...

I would like to see him on the team. He could provide a nice immediate impact at DE and let Moala and Nevis rotate at the other 3-4 spot. This would be a very nice signings that I would love. Remember, quality players, not superstars.

article mentions the exceptions are he will sign

article mentions the exceptions are he will sign

Well that's the blogger's opinion. I think he probably will, but I can't say that he probably will because I have no points to back it up. One of the most important rules in sports journalism is to: Never announce or write opinions if you don't have points to back it up. I only announce things when I have confirmation from my league source.

Cory Redding could be an indictment against Jamaal Anderson playing DE. Cory's pro day results were: 6-4 274lbs, 4.88F, 29V, 26Reps, 7.09C, 4.28S and 33 inch arms. He is about 20 lbs heavier now and played LDE for the Ravens last year. He was good against the run and not a bad pass rusher. Maybe he is paired with Fili Maola at DEs. Maybe Antonio Johnson has been miscased as a NT and could be moved to a rotational DE.

Nevis is getting forgotten here. I think Nevis would probably be an end with Moala coming off the bench to spell them. We need a NT AJ is big for the Colts but he's not a 3-4 NT.

Nevis is getting forgotten here. I think Nevis would probably be an end with Moala coming off the bench to spell them. We need a NT AJ is big for the Colts but he's not a 3-4 NT.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised at all if they put him in at NT. I'm not saying thats his best spot, but to be a good nose, you don't have to be tall. You win the leverage battle, and you can be a successful NT. Drake is what, 6'0? He is definitely smaller and if he can get up under these centers, who knows.

Maybe he doesn't get moved to NT, but I'm just saying, I wouldn't be surprised.

No maybe you need to educate yourself. I'm comparing the stats because he has only played 3-4 DE for 2 season's and only 7.5 sacks in that time. All 7 years before that he played the same position as Freeney, 4-3 DE! His play only got better when he joined the Ravens & played along side all of those Pro Bowl players (Ngata, Suggs, Lewis). I'm not saying keep Freeney and play him at DE in a 3-4 D. I'm saying if they rebuilding, why not go younger because he may know the system but he may not play how he played along side Ngata, but like I said that's just my opinion. Everyone is intitle to one.

Actually Redding was an UT in Detroit for a while after starting at DE.

Also 3-4 DEs typically are 5 technique players and they are relied upon to control 2 gaps (as most 3-4 lineman do). Their primary job is to occupy blockers to free the LBs to make the plays. Obviously youd love for them to get pressure but its not the #1 focus for the position.

He's not going to be a pro bowler but he's a vet who knows the 3-4.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised at all if they put him in at NT. I'm not saying thats his best spot, but to be a good nose, you don't have to be tall. You win the leverage battle, and you can be a successful NT. Drake is what, 6'0? He is definitely smaller and if he can get up under these centers, who knows.

Maybe he doesn't get moved to NT, but I'm just saying, I wouldn't be surprised.

AJ struggled at times against single teams in a 4-3 front he would get destroyed in a 3-4 front at NT. We have to go get a NT either in the draft or free agency.

I was talking about Nevis

I think Nevis would be suited at a DE in a 3-4 or if we leave him as a NT in a 3-4 I am not sure if he is a guy you want starting. He might be able to float between the two spots a little bit and spell a starting 3-4 NT. I think Nevis will work very will in whatever defense we use.

Nevis could fit at DE in the 3-4 but not at NT unless we run a one gap system. He's strong but probably not strong enough to hold up against double teams consistently.

He's a talent so im sure the coaches can find a place for him.

I think Nevis would be suited at a DE in a 3-4 or if we leave him as a NT in a 3-4 I am not sure if he is a guy you want starting. He might be able to float between the two spots a little bit and spell a starting 3-4 NT. I think Nevis will work very will in whatever defense we use.

Nevis is too small to play 3-4 NT.