Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eberflus and Leonard bad plays

2 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

I wonder if anyone does this for bad coaching play calls on both the O and D. 

"Frank, Matt, here's your worst play calls of 2018.... lol. Stay grounded guys and peace out."

Hopefully  they studied that jags game

50 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Hopefully  they studied that jags game

Jags and KC are the most glaring, but there are several that were bad on O, and several bad on D that can be studied as well. Luckily, D's likely won't be able to do the same things to us this year with added help at WRs. 

10 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

Jags and KC are the most glaring, but there are several that were bad on O, and several bad on D that can be studied as well. Luckily, D's likely won't be able to do the same things to us this year with added help at WRs. 

Based on what we’ve read and seen from both these guys, I would say, yes, they’ve watched their mistakes on tape too. Let’s not forget, last year was the first time for both of them in their positions. And things were screwy at first but got better. I imagine the prep and learning shall continue

On 5/3/2019 at 4:23 PM, Mitch Connors said:

Says a ton about Leonard that he was willing to listen and was receptive to the feedback. Not everyone can take that, especially after the season he had last year.

I have rental properties.  My tenant "sweet spot" is early twenties... many are first-time renters.  I "train" them to be the tenants i want them to be .  They dont onow any different.  It works out well for me.

When Ballard speaks of culture, it is speaker ng of situations like this one with Flus and Leonard.  We have young guys who dont know another way but the one we show them.  By doing this, soon the first thing players do after an off-season will be to review last years tape, the mistakes, and make a plan to fix them and improve.  Players, coaches, scouts, and management should all do this.  It will become ingrained in our culture.  New guys coming in will just fall in line and except it.  Kinda like driving on the right side of the road here in the states.  It will just be natural. No egos, no argument, no animosity.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, csmopar said:

Based on what we’ve read and seen from both these guys, I would say, yes, they’ve watched their mistakes on tape too. Let’s not forget, last year was the first time for both of them in their positions. And things were screwy at first but got better. I imagine the prep and learning shall continue

agree 100%. super happy with eberflus's first year. mixed emotion on reich, but he had limited tools to work with, so giving him the benefit of the doubt. going to be fun this season.

On 5/3/2019 at 10:15 AM, Barry Sears said:

Just thinkin' about Leonard getting even better is exciting!

I think we really improved our defense in this past draft and with the addition of Justin Houston and just allowing a few  young guys develop (Leonard, Turary, Lewis, several other young LBs/DBs showed a lot of promise at times last year as they were developing).  

I have a feeling we'll have some new wrinkles in the defense next year.  I think due to our age, Flus had to keep everything as elementary as possible.  We a little more experience in the mix, I imagine we'll see some new creativity in the defense and he'll be expecting his players to be more than just athletes.

On 5/4/2019 at 6:47 PM, Irish YJ said:

agree 100%. super happy with eberflus's first year. mixed emotion on reich, but he had limited tools to work with, so giving him the benefit of the doubt. going to be fun this season.

I think Reich had very limited tools  last year.  Doyle was hurt most of the year.  TY had to play w/ a high & low ankle sprain for the last almost half of the season.  Luck was coming off missing over a full season.  

Our WR2 for the last half of the season was Dontrelle Inman (who played admirably, but would not be the WR2 on most NFL teams).  We had a lot of injuries on-and-off throughout the season on the OL.  

Mack missed some time due to injury..... all that aside, Luck still threw for the 5th most yards in the NFL, the 2nd most TDs and we had the 7th overall total offense.

Let's keep our fingers crossed that we can stay healthy (on both sides of the ball) and that the additions of Funchess, Campbell and another year under the belts of Mack, Hines, Wilkins (and addition of Spencer) really pan out for this team.  I think at the end of the day, Reich and Sirianni probably over-achieved with our O last year.

On 5/4/2019 at 6:47 PM, Irish YJ said:

One other area where I thought Reich and Sirianni really excelled last year was keeping Luck healthy.  I forgot until just watching an interview with Luck and Jeff Saturday that Luck was the least sacked QB in the NFL last year..... that was with a rotating OL at many portions of the season due to injuries.

Grigson/Pagano/etc. almost got Luck killed in the first 5 years of his career.  I really, really like that Ballard/Reich/etc. came in and really emphasized keeping Andrew upright and getting the ball out of his hand quick.... with another year behind our OL, I expect we'll only improve from here.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

I think Reich had very limited tools  last year.  Doyle was hurt most of the year.  TY had to play w/ a high & low ankle sprain for the last almost half of the season.  Luck was coming off missing over a full season.  

Our WR2 for the last half of the season was Dontrelle Inman (who played admirably, but would not be the WR2 on most NFL teams).  We had a lot of injuries on-and-off throughout the season on the OL.  

Mack missed some time due to injury..... all that aside, Luck still threw for the 5th most yards in the NFL, the 2nd most TDs and we had the 7th overall total offense.

Let's keep our fingers crossed that we can stay healthy (on both sides of the ball) and that the additions of Funchess, Campbell and another year under the belts of Mack, Hines, Wilkins (and addition of Spencer) really pan out for this team.  I think at the end of the day, Reich and Sirianni probably over-achieved with our O last year.

Agree with all of that. 

My biggest beef, is play calling late in the season. Seemed very predictable. More tools should help. With what we've signed and drafted, I expect a very good year. If Cain comes back to form too, I expect a lot.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Irish YJ said:

Agree with all of that. 

My biggest beef, is play calling late in the season. Seemed very predictable. More tools should help. With what we've signed and drafted, I expect a very good year. If Cain comes back to form too, I expect a lot.

Yes, I think Reich can be very creative in play calling, given the right tools.....

You can already tell how excited he is to have Funchess and Campbell for Luck to work with.  If Cain comes back to form, we should have 4 WR's who could be WR2 or better on this team, compared to last year when we had TY at 3/4 speed and a bunch of guys who likely wouldn't be a top 3-4 WR on most other teams.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

One other area where I thought Reich and Sirianni really excelled last year was keeping Luck healthy.  I forgot until just watching an interview with Luck and Jeff Saturday that Luck was the least sacked QB in the NFL last year..... that was with a rotating OL at many portions of the season due to injuries.

Grigson/Pagano/etc. almost got Luck killed in the first 5 years of his career.  I really, really like that Ballard/Reich/etc. came in and really emphasized keeping Andrew upright and getting the ball out of his hand quick.... with another year behind our OL, I expect we'll only improve from here.

I think Brees was the least sacked of starters, but yes, it was awesome to keep him out of harm's way. I give Ballard more credit than the other guys though for drafting Q and Smith. Glad we have both locked up on cheap deals for the next 3 years. I think we'll hit OT high next draft.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CurBeatElite said:

Yes, I think Reich can be very creative in play calling, given the right tools.....

You can already tell how excited he is to have Funchess and Campbell for Luck to work with.  If Cain comes back to form, we should have 4 WR's who could be WR2 or better on this team, compared to last year when we had TY at 3/4 speed and a bunch of guys who likely wouldn't be a top 3-4 WR on most other teams.

IMO, we have two WRs that can be a legit WR2 (Cain and Campbell). Funchess is just really limited as a true X. I love what Funchess brings in the slot, and in short yardage and RZ. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

IMO, we have two WRs that can be a legit WR2 (Cain and Campbell). Funchess is just really limited as a true X. I love what Funchess brings in the slot, and in short yardage and RZ. 

Funchess doesn't have elite speed, but I do think he's got the size and the capability of being very dangerous in this offense (both outside and in the slot/RZ).  The fact that we've got burners in TY/Campbell should allow the coaches to be even more crafty with their use of Funchess.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

Funchess doesn't have elite speed, but I do think he's got the size and the capability of being very dangerous in this offense (both outside and in the slot/RZ).  The fact that we've got burners in TY/Campbell should allow the coaches to be even more crafty with their use of Funchess.

If Cain comes back, or even if they run Campbell on the outside, I don't see Funchess on the outside too much. I see him used a lot more in the slot (than the 15% usage in Carolina), and at X going across short to intermediate (the routes he showed successful in). 

He'll be like having a second TE on the field in 3WR sets, and one in 4WR sets. We really have so many great options this year. 

• Like 1