Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jawaan Taylor, OT

Taylor did not run or jump at the combine. He has very long arms (35 1/8 inches) and looks to have good speed and quickness. He plays right tackle, but could be a guard. He needs to use his hands better. Taylor is strong (24 lifts) and a good run blocker and hard worker. He will be a good NFL player. best bpa left

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Sorry that weight may be wrong. I was thinking Ford

Whether he's 300 or 330, an olineman needs to be able to bench 225 at least 27 times, IMO.  Some people say, well they just need a year or two in an NFL weight program.  But Mudd has stated in all his years he has not seen a lineman get functionally stronger by being in an NFL weight program.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Whether he's 300 or 330, an olineman needs to be able to bench 225 at least 27 times, IMO.  Some people say, well they just need a year or two in an NFL weight program.  But Mudd has stated in all his years he has not seen a lineman get functionally stronger by being in an NFL weight program.

Oh no I agree. Heck I'd even say 30 reps. Maybe I can go show these boys what's up heh. I can hit 35 as a burn out after a workout

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Risner could play all across the line

I wouldn't want him as a long term LT though.

Taylor either, but I think Taylor would be a better LT than Risner.

But I do think Risner can play the other 4 spots as good or better than Taylor.

51 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Not with 35 inch arms its not.....that is A LOT of distance to cover to lock out a proper rep.

Negative. That don't matter. You change up your grip to benefit arm length. I have very long arms for my height. I also compete in powerlifting 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Not with 35 inch arms its not.....that is A LOT of distance to cover to lock out a proper rep.

I also understand they're not competitive lifters. But if you're going against other men where strength is huge. Get your strength up. 

3 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

I think I like Risner a little better. He even played a little C early before taking over the OT spot.

Yep, a swing tackle with the potential to be a starter at LT or RT is what he is, definitely high on my wish list 

Just now, chad72 said:

Yep, a swing tackle with the potential to be a starter at LT or RT is what he is, definitely high on my wish list 

I don't see any legit LTs left, except maybe Roemer, who is a project and head case.

Risner I think would be a good RT, solid backup for LT, good C (we already one), good RG (I'd prefer Braden move back first), and decent LG backup. 

If Glow got hurt this year, I'd move Braden in, and Risner at RT. If we didn't extend Glow, grabbing him would make perfect sense. Regardless, he's a great multipurpose tool.

My only issue with any OL this year, is either they should be 1) a legit LT (non really any left), or 2) capable starter at RT, and a good backup for RG and C. He fits 2 better than Taylor IMO.

I ain't getting caught up in the 35 inch arms stuff.  That was the talking point on Clark when we drafted him.  Still didnt stop him from being a turnstile.   It's nice but only if they put it all together with the other intangibles that are needed.

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

Negative. That don't matter. You change up your grip to benefit arm length. I have very long arms for my height. I also compete in powerlifting 

When you say change your grip are you suggesting widening your grip?  That definitely makes it easier to press but the NFL supposedly enforces a policy that states one's grip must be shoulder width.

At shoulder width is there an advantage to shorter arm length vs longer?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, krunk said:

I ain't getting caught up in the 35 inch arms stuff.  That was the talking point on Clark when we drafted him.  Still didnt stop him from being a turnstile.   It's nice but only if they put it all together with the other intangibles that are needed.

Clark is an enigma.  He gets in great position very quickly, maintains great form, does everything correct and yet the defender doesn't even break stride on his way to the QB.

23 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Clark is an enigma.  He gets in great position very quickly, maintains great form, does everything correct and yet the defender doesn't even break stride on his way to the QB.

Even a turnstile forces you to slow down

5 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Simple Physics. Work = force x distance. Same force for long or short arms , more distance for long arms consequently more work for the longer armed guy.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Clem-Dog said:

When you say change your grip are you suggesting widening your grip?  That definitely makes it easier to press but the NFL supposedly enforces a policy that states one's grip must be shoulder width.

At shoulder width is there an advantage to shorter arm length vs longer?

Not really, you can tick the elbows in more which is proper form. People are to caught up on a length when they don't factor in these dudes have some HUGE barrel bodies at 300+. So doesn't matter how long arms are cause you body is way bigger so still only bringing down to chest. When it comes to the iron I am well above elite status. Been training for 20+ years. 

Bottom line is, he needs to build his strength up. 

37 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

Simple Physics. Work = force x distance. Same force for long or short arms , more distance for long arms consequently more work for the longer armed guy.

Wrong, you're not figuring in a 300+ pound body. I have a buddy who's 300. He barely had to bring down the bar because the size of his body. Even with yes, long arms....

5 hours ago, NewEra said:

I don’t think they let you do that. You grip it where everyone else does. 35 inch arms is a handicap in the bench press.