Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts trading up?

This would be interesting because it seems to contradict Ballard's value for draft picks comment, but I do remember him saying how he wants blue chip prospects. Colts have met with Brian Burns a number of times as reported. I see him going anywhere in the 15-25 range. Eagles are rumored to want Burns as well.

I think everyone misunderstands Ballard’s comment on liking picks. Having a lot of picks gives you a lot of options. Not just getting more players for the dart board.

On draft day if a stud is available at DE I can see him trading up. It’s the one piece we really need. If he feels comfortable with who we already have on the roster I can see him doing it.  But I don’t see a team wanting to pass on a good DE since they are rare.

4 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

The article that mentioned they will move up was on Bleacher Report and it contained nothing factual. It simple suggested that since they have an extra 2nd round pick, they'll likely move up. Just baseless spitballing at this point.

That would make sense, but if the colts are as high as the reports say they are on Burns and they don't think he'll be there at 26, trading up is not out of the question

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think everyone misunderstands Ballard’s comment on liking picks. Having a lot of picks gives you a lot of options. Not just getting more players for the dart board.

On draft day if a stud is available at DE I can see him trading up. It’s the one piece we really need. If he feels comfortable with who we already have on the roster I can see him doing it.  But I don’t see a team wanting to pass on a good DE since they are rare.

With the signing of Houston, I'd argue a stud DT is more of a need than DE. We still have Turay who has tons of talent. 

DE is still a need, but I would just say DT may be a bit more of a need is all. 

• Like 1

Just now, BProland85 said:

With the signing of Houston, I'd argue a stud DT is more of a need than DE. We still have Turay who has tons of talent. 

DE is still a need, but I would just say DT may be a bit more of a need is all. 

Agreed. And it's not like Burns is an elite can't miss guy. He's got upside, but also a lot of questions about his frame, weight, and strength. While he might be worth a 26+59 or 26+89, I would not give 26--34. iDL is a much bigger need given we just picked up Houston.

Who knows what Ballard will do, other than what he actually says

He has continually preached about the need for pass rush

He has continually said that he will build the lines FIRST

MAYBE.......  Call me crazy....... he may do.... JUST THAT

If he believes Burns (As DE) is the guy that he wants, he may do what it takes to go get him

Burns is a very good pass rush candidate....... unless something happens....... he would seem to go in the mid to late teens

The "cost" according to the value chart that many teams supposedly use to ensure they get value, isnt 26 AND 34........ its  26 AND 56 

I think the odds of trading up would seem to be significantly less than sitting put, (or even trading down if the player you want isnt there)

If he moves up to take Burns, he may take Tillary  or Lawrence (at 34)

We would go with BPA rounds 3 on (Maybe Isabella, or one of the 4, decent SS are still around)

6 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

If Baldigner's rumor about the Colts and Eagles liking the same guy is true, then that seems reasonable. Would likely cost the comp 4th rounder.

If that rumor is true than the likelihood of that player being an ER at 25 would be hard to believe.  The player I am seeing being mocked to the Eagles most often is Jacobs.  Ballard has been quoted as saying he loves those 2nd. rd. picks.  If he moves up I would expect it to be a just few spots not a big jump.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Not another Florida State pass rusher for the Colts in Round 1, cough Bjoern, cough!!! :) 

LOL

Burns is on a different planet than Bjoern

I would love to have Burns......

He seems like a 15 sack a year type of guy.........

I dont think we have that talent on our roster today....

(MAYBE Houston)

I dont see a 15 sack guy from the 26th pick

Lastly... we NEED a 15 sack guy on this roster....

Little work on pass rush moves, his quickness should make a differnce

IMHO, probably .... NOT going to happen.... but I would be cheering

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Not another Florida State pass rusher for the Colts in Round 1, cough Bjoern, cough!!! :) 

Thats like comparing a perfectly cooked steak from a 5 star restaurant to a 5 dollar steak from a gas station haha 

People are focusing on "what Ballard will do" in the draft. I'm curious about the discussions between Chris Ballard, George Li, and John Park, who've hopefully done their homework with the coaching and scouting staff. The draft becomes a rapidly evolving strategy optimization problem. It's not your grandfather's draft day "gut feel" kind of football anymore.

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

Thats like comparing a perfectly cooked steak from a 5 star restaurant to a 5 dollar steak from a gas station haha 

Actually is more like comparing a McDouble to a Big Mac being both players came out of the same system...

• Like 1

That is why the Eagles, whose GM that I am, in our mock draft, moved up to No.18 with the Vikings. 

Eagles' GM is not shy about moving up and down or making trades in real life, so I thought I might simulate that a bit as mock draft GM. :) 

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

They have 5 dollar gas station steaks?  Have I been missing out?

I bet Bjorn Werner gets them on his 18-wheeler routes through Texas.