Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL Salary Cap and Jacksonville

Shepman

12 hours ago, Shepman said:

Wow even with $10 million being added to 2019 salary cap Jacksonville sits at -$2 million dollars.  Looking to see how that magic works out.  Colts still at top obviously with $106 million.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001020137/article/nfl-salary-cap-for-2019-season-set-at-1882m

They were *s and went all out in Free Agency to win it all within two years and it blew up in their faces!

• Like 2

It didn't blow up in their face. They knew the projected cap and knew they'd have to make adjustments. They just restructured Dareus to create $5m, they'll probably make a move with Hyde and Jackson to create another ~$15m, and they'll do something with Blake Bortles also. They'll be tight this year, but they'll still be able to add their QB and be in decent shape in 2020.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

It didn't blow up in their face. They knew the projected cap and knew they'd have to make adjustments. They just restructured Dareus to create $5m, they'll probably make a move with Hyde and Jackson to create another ~$15m, and they'll do something with Blake Bortles also. They'll be tight this year, but they'll still be able to add their QB and be in decent shape in 2020.

They are amazing and smarter than everyone else then lmao because they are literally Cap room strapped and I have been reading Foles is wanting around 20 mill a year where he goes. If they sign Foles, I will definitely be curious to see how they cunningly pulled that off. 

1 hour ago, Superman said:

When I said the Jags blew up I wasn't referring to their cap.

Just how they played last season after the season they had before. They gambled Bortles would improve and he played worse.

2017-3,687 yds., 21 tds., 84.7 rate

2018-2,718 yds., 13 tds., 79.8 rate in 13 games.

3 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

When I said the Jags blew up I wasn't referring to their cap.

Just how they played last season after the season they had before. They gambled Bortles would improve and he played worse.

2017-3,687 yds., 21 tds., 84.7 rate

2018-2,718 yds., 13 tds., 79.8 rate in 13 games.

Doubling down on Bortles was a dumb decision. I'm just saying I don't think they are falling apart because they spent too much money. They have a recalibration to do, but if they can add a decent QB they'll still be in the mix. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

They are amazing and smarter than everyone else then lmao because they are literally Cap room strapped and I have been reading Foles is wanting around 20 mill a year where he goes. If they sign Foles, I will definitely be curious to see how they cunningly pulled that off. 

It's not even hard. They can give Foles three years, $65m, and his Year 1 cap hit can be $10m. 

And like I suggested a few weeks ago, a team can take Bortles on if JAX is willing to give up a pick in exchange for some cap space. I would like to see the Colts do that. 

• Like 3

Just now, Superman said:

It's not even hard. They can give Foles three years, $65m, and his Year 1 cap hit can be $10m. 

And like I suggested a few weeks ago, a team can take Bortles on if JAX is willing to give up a pick in exchange for some cap space. I would like to see the Colts do that. 

Makes sense but they will have to do a lot with other players contracts to get that done. Foles will want at least 20 mill a year. 

13 hours ago, Superman said:

that would be an interesting move, what kind of pick do you think it would be worth?

If we have an extra 20 million after we spend what we need to I wouldn't mind seeing us take Blake and his 1 year cap hit for a 2nd round pick, like what the Browns did. Blake is a decent back up anyway and the second round pick would come in handy in 2020..

6 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

If we have an extra 20 million after we spend what we need to I wouldn't mind seeing us take Blake and his 1 year cap hit for a 2nd round pick, like what the Browns did. Blake is a decent back up anyway and the second round pick would come in handy in 2020..

So you would then attempt to get a 3rd or 4th for Brissett in that scenario?  

I guess if FA is cleaned out and we had the extra cash it would be OK.   

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

that would be an interesting move, what kind of pick do you think it would be worth?

1 hour ago, Myles said:

So you would then attempt to get a 3rd or 4th for Brissett in that scenario?  

I guess if FA is cleaned out and we had the extra cash it would be OK.   

1 hour ago, ColtJax said:

I don't see it yielding a second rounder. The Browns took on $20m for Osweiler, Bortles' guaranteed money in 2019 is only $6.5m. I would say a fourth, so this year that would be #109.

And I see it independent of anything involving Brissett. Trade for Bortles, and drop him before his $1m roster bonus comes due on 3/17. We'd be paying $6.5m to add an extra fourth rounder in this year's draft.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Makes sense but they will have to do a lot with other players contracts to get that done. Foles will want at least 20 mill a year. 

Yeah they need to restructure a few other guys -- Bouye, Smith, Gipson, etc. But they can work that out over the next couple weeks. They have their work cut out for them, but I think the plan is obvious.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't see it yielding a second rounder. The Browns took on $20m for Osweiler, Bortles' guaranteed money in 2019 is only $6.5m. I would say a fourth, so this year that would be #109.

And I see it independent of anything involving Brissett. Trade for Bortles, and drop him before his $1m roster bonus comes due on 3/17. We'd be paying $6.5m to add an extra fourth rounder in this year's draft.

I'm with you.   With our extra cap space, buying a draft pick would be wise.  

I only brought up Brissett because ColtsJax mentioned "Blake is a decent back up anyway".    No way would we keep both.   I agree with dropping him.   

23 hours ago, Myles said:

I'm with you.   With our extra cap space, buying a draft pick would be wise.  

I only brought up Brissett because ColtsJax mentioned "Blake is a decent back up anyway".    No way would we keep both.   I agree with dropping him.   

I agree with you on dropping Blake.  

His guaranteed money cost to us would be 6.5M if done before the roster bonus.  You keep him on board and you are paying him 16M to be your backup that season.  

Trading away Brissett isn't worth the 9.5 M extra we would have to pay Bortles.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

I agree with you on dropping Blake.  

His guaranteed money cost to us would be 6.5M if done before the roster bonus.  You keep him on board and you are paying him 16M to be your backup that season.  

Trading away Brissett isn't worth the 9.5 M extra we would have to pay Bortles.  

Ballard will, or at least needs to, judge how desperate the Jags are to free up Bortles money.   Is a 4th round pick all we can get for $6.5 million?   

41 minutes ago, Myles said:

Ballard will, or at least needs to, judge how desperate the Jags are to free up Bortles money.   Is a 4th round pick all we can get for $6.5 million?   

I feel we can try to get a 3rd but then, we are within their division, so typically all bets are off right off the bat because of that, with regards to playing hard ball in negotiations.

I can see a team like the Bills or Jets do something like that, to gain a 3rd rounder and a backup QB.

• Like 1

The Jags are now up to about $30m in cap space, having released Malik Jackson, Tashaun Gipson, Jermey Parnell, and the most painful cut of all, Carson Tinker (their long snapper lol). 

And they can still restructure Norwell, Smith, Bouye, Campbell, etc., if they wish. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Superman said:

The Jags are now up to about $30m in cap space, having released Malik Jackson, Tashaun Gipson, Jermey Parnell, and the most painful cut of all, Carson Tinker (their long snapper lol). 

And they can still restructure Norwell, Smith, Bouye, Campbell, etc., if they wish. 

Anyone there worth grabbing? Jackson at the right price maybe?

• Like 2

On 3/3/2019 at 4:03 AM, DarkSuperman said:

They were *s and went all out in Free Agency to win it all within two years and it blew up in their faces!

What Blew up in their face?

They came within 1 game of the Super Bowl and this year year they are adding a proven SB WINNING QB to a still good roster.

They may be major players in 2019.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

What Blew up in their face?

They came within 1 game of the Super Bowl and this year year they are adding a proven SB WINNING QB to a still good roster.

They may be major players in 2019.

They still have the core of that 'D'  guys like Calais Campbell..

…..If they get Nick Foles...and a WR....for him to play with

..and if Leonard Fournette wanst to play...they're a threat

• Like 2

On 3/8/2019 at 1:17 PM, Superman said:

People wouldn't believe they could do it.  I knew they could, and would.  I've heard Polian, Savage, Dominik, etc say they can always make (cap) room for guy, especially (what they feel is) an upper level QB.

Bortles isn't on the list, yet.  Question is, will he become a post June 1 release? That move would add about another 5 million in cap savings on top of the 4.5 million releasing him (now) prior to June 1 would net.

• Like 1

On 3/3/2019 at 6:46 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

As of today they have $28.3M of cap space and still carry Bortles.
 T Gibson was a good safety, and Carlos Hyde a good backup RB, but both are replaceable.
 And drafting 7th each rd. they are fine.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Hoose said:

I wouldn't do anything to help the Jags. I know it might net a decent draft pick but they are the enemy. Do not smooth their path back from cap hell. 

Was this in response to Superman's comment-

"And like I suggested a few weeks ago, a team can take Bortles on if JAX is willing to give up a pick in exchange for some cap space. I would like to see the Colts do that. " (I think it was but you didn't quote it)

Bortles is going to be gone off their roster (to sign Foles) at some point (either pre or post June 1 release) in any event.  Taking one of their draft picks isn't helping them.

On 3/3/2019 at 1:42 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Foles to Jags, 4 years, 88 million, 50 million guaranteed.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26231282/source-foles-jags-88m-50m-guaranteed

• Like 1