Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tevin Coleman to hit FA

7 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Would be a solid 1-2 punch with him and Mack, with him filling in for Mack easily during injury situations.

Once the market settles after 2 weeks of free agency and he is still there, I hope Ballard reaches out. He is still an RBC guy, IMO.

The NFL is about RBC but RBC quality varies and dropoffs vary. Rarely do we have a 1 a. and 1 b. in an RBC. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Would be a solid 1-2 punch with him and Mack, with him filling in for Mack easily during injury situations.

Once the market settles after 2 weeks of free agency and he is still there, I hope Ballard reaches out. He is still an RBC guy, IMO.

The NFL is about RBC but RBC quality varies and dropoffs vary. Rarely do we have a 1 a. and 1 b. in an RBC. 

I don't know. If he wanted to be a 1B, he would just stay in atlanta. I can see him going to tampa. 

2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I don't know. If he wanted to be a 1B, he would just stay in atlanta. I can see him going to tampa. 

Atlanta is chin deep against the cap, so they cannot afford even paying him $6 mil. a year, IMO. That is one reason. A 3 year deal for $20 mil. is probably what he is going to get at best, closer to Dion Lewis money with the Titans (which was 4 yrs. for $20 mil.).

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Atlanta is chin deep against the cap, so they cannot afford even paying him $6 mil. a year, IMO. That is one reason. A 3 year deal for $20 mil. is probably what he is going to get at best, closer to Dion Lewis money with the Titans (which was 4 yrs. for $20 mil.).

They can always make room for him if they really wanted him back, but I think Tevin wants a backfield to himself which is why I think Tampa would be ideal for him.

23 minutes ago, CR91 said:

They can always make room for him if they really wanted him back, but I think Tevin wants a backfield to himself which is why I think Tampa would be ideal for him.

Tampa is looking at making Ronald Jones the starter.  The kid from USC whose game is very similar to Mack.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Not when your other RB is making the kind of coin that he is, and you are kinda desperate to resign Grady Jarrett, which ain't gonna be anything near cheap....lol

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

Tampa is looking at making Ronald Jones the starter.  The kid from USC whose game is very similar to Mack.

Jones did nothing this year. Peyton Barber was more effective 

3 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

Not when your other RB is making the kind of coin that he is, and you are kinda desperate to resign Grady Jarrett, which ain't gonna be anything near cheap....lol

very true, but I still think even if the falcons can pay him, he doesn't want to be there because he doesnt want to share a backfield

2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Jones did nothing this year. Peyton Barber was more effective 

Barely got any attempts.  I'm sure they plan on increasing that this year.

He goes to Tampa and that probably ends up being a committee after a while I think. I sort of agree with Chad72.  I'm not sure if Tevin will shake the committe perception.  I wouldn't mind him here if it happened.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

Barely got any attempts.  I'm sure they plan on increasing that this year.

He goes to Tampa and that probably ends up being a committee after a while I think.

I sort of agree with Chad72.  I'm not sure if Tevin will shake the committe perception.

He got plenty of attempts early, but was inefficient. The bucs need a run game to help Winston 

5 minutes ago, CR91 said:

He got plenty of attempts early, but was inefficient. The bucs need a run game to help Winston 

Had 23 attmpts for the whole year as far as I can see.  Arians is looking to give him more opportunities.  Just reading the tea leaves

22 minutes ago, krunk said:

Had 23 attmpts for the whole year as far as I can see.  Arians is looking to give him more opportunities.  Just reading the tea leaves

guess we'll see. Don't get me wrong, Id love to have Coleman as a colt. I think hes dynamic. I just think he wants a backfield to himself

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, YourManBlu said:

Tevin Coleman is the guy I’ve been hoping the Colts get.  Him and Mack would be amazing and would add competition for the starting back which is what Chris Ballard preaches.  Both keep the defenses guessing with the run or pass.

My memories of Mack trying to catch passes that stick with me are the pick six vs the Jets on the opening play that he tipped, and the Watt tip for an INT in the playoff game when Mack was the intended recipient, more of Luck's fault. Mack can catch passes but Coleman is better in that category, IMO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

My memories of Mack trying to catch passes that stick with me are the pick six vs the Jets on the opening play that he tipped, and the Watt tip for an INT in the playoff game when Mack was the intended recipient, more of Luck's fault. Mack can catch passes but Coleman is better in that category, IMO.

I agree Coleman is better in that category as well.  Yes Mack sucked it up that play but I still think overall he’s a threat in the receiving category.  Plus pretty much every player had a play last year where it went off their hands and turned into an INT lol.  I’m just saying they both would complement each other and keep the defenses on their toes and guessing.

32 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Tevin Coleman should have been a Colt coming out of college. It was stupid to draft Dijon Smith over him.

Anyone would have been better then djoun smith :sigh:

• Like 1

I had him in my mock off-season coming to the Colts, but at the end I decided that Ballard probably likes our RB stable enough to let them play another year and not spend big money on another RB and I removed him from my list of potential signings. 

Coleman would be an excellent signing IMO. With the way the RBs did poorly at the combine yesterday, I think Coleman would be a safer bet then drafting an RB in the middle rounds again. There's no one besides Jacobs early, and it's a weak RB class anyway. Mack and Coleman could be our poor man's version of Ingram and Kamara, and we could still use Hines and Wilkins a bit as well. In this case, a FA signing could make RB a HUGE strength for us going forward without breaking the bank.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, krunk said:

Tevin can carry a load if needed I will say that.  He had a bunch of carries as the main RB at Indiana University.

And that was on a bad team. Teams would focus on stopping Coleman and he would go off for 200 yards.

Still disappointed that Coleman was killing it 45 minutes away from Indy and they didn't make him their 2nd round pick.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, shastamasta said:

Yes please. Colts need more of a threat in the passing game. Though it would likely mean few snaps for Hines...which isn't really a bad thing since he's a change of pace guy.

Hines could still get decent snaps in a game. Do a lot of two RB sets. Mack and Hines, Coleman and Hines, even Wilkins and Hines would work a few times a game. You can get really creative with the RBs if we sign Coleman. Probably the only duo that wouldn't be deceptive is Mack and Wilkins.

I think Ballard really likes the backs they have now.  He even mentioned being disappointed in not being able to get Jonathan Williams to the active roster at some point during the season.  Personally I don't see them spending the cash on a FA running back.

Coleman is a better pass catcher than Mack, and as good as

Mack running the ball

but

I dont see us making this move though

This RBC approach is missing a power back as part of the commitee

Coleman is close to being a Mack clone in body style, vs the power back

Mack is good enough in this role

(He has to get more reps and learn the receiver side to be more

of a complete back)

If one of the power backs slide to round 4 or 5 ........  I could see us going that way

That power back is needed

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CR91 said:

Coleman carried the load just fine when freeman was hurt

I'm not saying he can't. I just don't think, or don't know, that he would be reluctant to sign with a team where he has to share carries. Its the way the NFL has been trending for several yrs.

23 hours ago, DougDew said:

I think of him as a one cut then straight ahead runner.  Not much wiggle and not really a power guy.  Not really what the Colts should be looking to spend money on, IMO.

I would like if the Colts signed Coleman. And we can get our power back in the draft. We wouldn't have anyone elite like Zeke but Coleman, Mack, and a young power back would give us a excellent  RBBC.

I could see Coleman ripping off some big ones behind Indy's line.  On the flip side, he will likely be expensive for a part-time player and he underwhelmed as "the guy" in ATL when Freeman was lost for the season.  

If you put Mack and Coleman together, what percentage of a Le'Veon Bell do you have vs. the cost?