Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

That Guy Mock Offseason 1.0

Cap numbers not included because we're in a position where using all of our CAP is impossibly unlikely.  Front-load all of our contracts to take advantage of our current situation and make sure we'll have enough space in future years to retain our youngsters.

Priority Re-Sign:

Mark Glowinski - OG - Solid starter who helped us out when called upon.  Pay him a moderate contract.

Clayton Geathers - SS - I don't care what PFF says; this man is worth more to our defense than what their rating shows.

Likely Re-Sign:

Dontrelle Inman - WR - Solid veteran

Evan Boehm - C - Great backup to have

Adam Vinatieri - K - I don't mind going younger here, but keep him if he wants to play

Margus Hunt - DT - I get the feeling this is who will be able to play for years, and he'll just keep getting better

Pierre Desir - CB - Pay him even if we only plan to use him against Houston

Luke Rhodes - LS - I guess we need him

Matthias Farley - FS - Forgotten due to injury, but a great third safety to have

Free Agents:

Grady Jarrett - DT - Falcons - If he hits the market, we pay him what he wants.  Front-loading the contract should benefit both of us, and we should be a fairly attractive destination this offseason.  He's a young difference maker, and he would help cover our lack of a true edge rusher (I don't see Lawrence, Clowney, or Ford hitting the market; and I don't want Clark due to his domestic violence arrest).

Bradley Roby - CB - Broncos - Would be great in our primarily-zone defense.  Still young and shouldn't demand too high a price considering he's never been the best CB on his own team (backup plan is Jason Verrett).

Shaquil Barrett - Edge - Broncos - Under-utilized in a crowded edge rotation with Miller, Chubb, and Shane Ray (who is also a FA and a backup plan).

Adam Humphries - WR - Buccaneers - Great slot weapon, and we need to give Luck more help (backup plan is Devin Funchess for the outside and get a slot in the draft).

I also want to make an attempt for KJ Wright - SLB - Seahawks, but I don't think we get him.

Draft: 

We're gonna go BPA throughout the draft, but my mock is going to be a little more targeted.  Ideally, we leave the first two rounds with an edge rusher, a CB, and a WR.  I was hoping for Sweat, Byron Murphy, and Deebo Samuel; but that's no longer an option.

Round 1:  Byron Murphy - CB - Washington - An excellent zone-cover CB.  I know this position isn't necessary for our defense to run effectively, but he'll make the whole team better.

Round 2A: Jaylon Ferguson - DE - Louisiana Tech - He knows how to get to the QB.  Would pair well with Turray after a few years of both of them learning under Robert Mathis.

Round 2B: Parris Campbell - WR - Ohio State - Has the potential to be great, but needs a better QB.  Slips because of his hands, but that problem isn't new for Andrew Luck.

Round 3: Amani Hooker - SS - Iowa - I love how our defense played when we had three safeties on the field, and I want to strengthen that formation.

Round 4A: Trayvon Mullen - CB - Clemson - Definitely has the skills to develop in our system.

Round 4B: Terrill Hanks - SLB - New Mexico State - I like Walker love Leonard, but we need a strong-side playmaker.

Round 5: Olisaemeka Udoh - OT - Elon - Tackle project who could become a great RT.

Round 6: Hunter Renfrow - WR - Clemson - Slot WR with a lot of talent.

Round 7: Lanard Bonner - OG - Arkansas State - Ballard loves to build the trenches, and he wants 10 starter-quality players.  After a few years, this guy can be number 6?  7?  Point is, we're getting there.

Roster:

QB:  Luck, Brissett, Kaya

RB:  Mack, Wilkins, Hines

WR1:  Hilton, Inman, Fountain

WR2:  Campbell, Cain

WRS:  Humphries, Renfrow

TE:  Ebron, Doyle, Alie-Cox

LT:  Castonzo, Clark

LG:  Nelson, Haeg

C:  Kelly, Boehm

RG:  Glowinski, Bonner

RT:  Smith, Udoh

DE:  Sheard, Turray

NT:  Hunt, Ridgeway, Stewart

UT:  Jarrett, Autry, Lewis, Ward

DE:  Barrett, Ferguson, Muhammed

SLB:  Hanks, Adams

MLB:  Walker, Franklin

WLB:  Leonard, Moore

CB1:  Murphy, Wilson, Mullen

CB2:  Roby, Desir, Hairston

CBS:  Moore

FS:  Hooker, Farley

SS:  Geathers, Hooker, Odum

• Like 4

Really like that mock tho! Think Ferguson is a gem, and will slip not being from one of the football factories. Would prefer Oruwariye/Baker at CB, but Murphy is a stud. 

And yeah, Sweat is increasing his stock by the minute, unfortunately. I hope the Colts move up and get him, I think he's gonna be a Pro Bowl edge rusher at the next level, the kid is an athletic specimen. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Really like that mock tho! Think Ferguson is a gem, and will slip not being from one of the football factories. Would prefer Oruwariye/Baker at CB, but Murphy is a stud. 

And yeah, Sweat is increasing his stock by the minute, unfortunately. I hope the Colts move up and get him, I think he's gonna be a Pro Bowl edge rusher at the next level, the kid is an athletic specimen. 

Think Marcus Davenport from last year. He didn't really show much at the Shrine game last year and he still went in the first. I think the same thing happens to Ferguson and he goes around the end of the first. He's been killing it this past week.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Two Hookers playing safety? Sounds like the start of a bad joke...

Al Michaels: Watson lets it go...he has Hopkins deep...and it's nearly picked off. 

Collinsworth: Wow. What a play by the Hookers to tag team Hopkins there. 

There are so many possibilites.

11 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

That is a lot of WR depth. I do think we could see a double dip though...but not in addition to a FA signing. 

It's definitely true that I made it a focus, but I think our roster warrants it.  We only have Hilton, Cain, Pascal, and Fountain under contract right now (not counting practice squad).  Inman deserves to be re-signed, and I see three players coming in to compete for the spots opened up by Rogers and Grant.  I'm not against switching a WR acquisition for a TE acquisition, but I definitely want to add more weapons on offense.

1 hour ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

I wouldn't mind Baker or Oruwariye, but I still think Murphy is the best fit for what we showed last year.  I'm still not sure if 'Flus was fitting his scheme to our talents or if he wants to play zone 90% of the time.  If we're staying with our scheme from last year, I think Murphy is the perfect corner.

And when I started researching for this mock (maybe two weeks ago), Sweat was my first target (and a realistic option)!  That all went straight out the window.

1 hour ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Two Hookers playing safety? Sounds like the start of a bad joke...

39 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Al Michaels: Watson lets it go...he has Hopkins deep...and it's nearly picked off. 

9 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

You tell yourself you're only gonna pick up one Hooker but next thing you know you're picking up a Hooker every couple years. Definitely a slippery slope.

What can I say?  I'm a fan of Hookers, and I'd kindly ask you all to stop judging me.

4 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

One thing about having two Hookers at safety, they will make the opposing team pay!

But do we want hookers that make our opponents pay on the back end?  Wouldn't it be better if they made them pay up front?  Where are all the Hooker D-linemen?

57 minutes ago, That Guy said:

But do we want hookers that make our opponents pay on the back end?  Wouldn't it be better if they made them pay up front?  Where are all the Hooker D-linemen?

One's got the underneath stuff, and the other covers the deep threat.

• Like 1

I really like this mock.  I think you resigned the correct dudes and Jarrett and Roby would be awesome signings.  From your draft, I think Murphy, Campbell, Hooker, and Renfrow.  However, there's very little chance that Mullen drops to the 4th especially after the showing he had against Bama.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

Think Marcus Davenport from last year. He didn't really show much at the Shrine game last year and he still went in the first. I think the same thing happens to Ferguson and he goes around the end of the first. He's been killing it this past week.

Davenport broke out late week and in the game at the senior bowl though. I heard the director of the senior bowl on Sirius NFL yesterday and he was talking about how they are using Davenport as motivation for some of the smaller school guys and guys who may not have lit it up in practice, but could still improve their draft stock with a good showing in the game. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

I'm worried that if the Colts have two Hookers at safety, the pass defense is going to blow.

8 hours ago, coltsnation said:

I really like this mock.  I think you resigned the correct dudes and Jarrett and Roby would be awesome signings.  From your draft, I think Murphy, Campbell, Hooker, and Renfrow.  However, there's very little chance that Mullen drops to the 4th especially after the showing he had against Bama.

Thanks!  I'm worried that both my 4th rounders won't make it.  Apparently Hanks is doing well in the practices this week.  I'll probably have to choose new prospects for my next try.  That's part of the fun of these, though; it's fun to see how players rise and fall.  I think a lot of us wanted Leighton Vander Esch in the third this time last year (I know I did).

On 1/24/2019 at 2:08 PM, shastamasta said:

See the thing is that’s EXACTLY what collinsworth would say haha 

8 hours ago, That Guy said:

Thanks!  I'm worried that both my 4th rounders won't make it.  Apparently Hanks is doing well in the practices this week.  I'll probably have to choose new prospects for my next try.  That's part of the fun of these, though; it's fun to see how players rise and fall.  I think a lot of us wanted Leighton Vander Esch in the third this time last year (I know I did).

I don't think we get him at the end of the 4th. A caller called into Movin the Chains on Sirius NFL asking about him and Pat Kirwin said Hanks was fast and very good in coverage and had probably put himself easily in the rnd 3/4 range. I think a good combine and he probably is a 3rd round lock that some team may even fall in love and reach for him end of 2nd.