Jump to content
Mel Kiper's Hair

Interesting ESPN article about the dysfunction of the Cleveland Browns

Recommended Posts

Here is a very interesting piece about the Cleveland Browns. It really describes why they are in the shape they are in. The next time people start complaining about Jim Irsay I'm going to to pull this article up and repost it. I am so thankful that Mr. Irsay is our team owner.

 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25797430/inside-cleveland-browns-front-office-where-hope-history-collide 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

Here is a very interesting piece about the Cleveland Browns. It really describes why they are in the shape they are in. The next time people start complaining about Jim Irsay I'm going to to pull this article up and repost it. I am so thankful that Mr. Irsay is our team owner.

 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25797430/inside-cleveland-browns-front-office-where-hope-history-collide 

 

I just finished reading about that a little bit ago.

 

If I was John Dorsey and Hue Jackson told me to "get the F out of my office" after I fired him, I'd be like "Well, Hue it's not your office anymore.  So you get the F out."

 

:lol:

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Goodness. That article paints the picture of an uncommitted, meddlesome owner who can't get out of his own way.

 

For everyone who calls Jim Irsay impetuous, impatient or meddlesome, read this article and understand just how bogus that claim is. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Well.... Irsay still has had his moments.

 

After a 11-5 season the previous year the Colts opened the preseason with the Bills. 

Remember 11-5 playoffs previous season and the Bills in the very first preseason game.

 

https://nypost.com/2013/08/12/colts-owner-blasts-crap-effort-after-preseason-loss-to-bills/

 

And then he fired his coach and GM and undid the progress they had previous made, right?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yea, this gives me an appreciation for Jim Irsay even more. I remember when Irsay drove Peyton Manning to the airport after Peyton was leaving the team and the news crew asked some brief questions to Peyton about his departure, and Irsay was holding back tears.

I also love Irsay in the post-game locker rooms. Occasionally, he will try to dance with the team (one time, he almost fell over!). 

I also find it funny Irsay and coach Reich took that newspaper photo together to cement the fact Reich was signing with the team after the McDaniels snub.

I could go on forever, but he's a fabulous owner. Yea, sure, he did drugs, but whatever. The guy is human, and he likely regrets several things he did. At least he loves the team and knows how to build a consistent winner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 2:35 PM, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Well.... Irsay still has had his moments.

 

After a 11-5 season the previous year the Colts opened the preseason with the Bills. 

Remember 11-5 playoffs previous season and the Bills in the very first preseason game.

 

https://nypost.com/2013/08/12/colts-owner-blasts-crap-effort-after-preseason-loss-to-bills/

So an owner can't have a problem with the lack of effort his team shows?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

I remember when Jim Irsay drove Peyton Manning to the airport after Peyton was leaving the team and the news crew asked some brief questions to Peyton about his departure, and Jim Irsay was holding back tears.

I also love Jim Irsay in the post-game locker rooms. Occasionally, he will try to dance with the team (one time, he almost fell over!). 

I also find it funny Jim Irsay and coach Reich took that newspaper photo together to cement the fact Reich was signing with the team after the McDaniels snub.

I could go on forever, but he's a fabulous owner. Yea, sure, he did drugs, but whatever. The guy is human, and he likely regrets several things he did, like all of us.

I wouldn't trade him for any other owner in the league.

I been a Colts fan since Jim Irsay was Jimmy in the locker room.

There is not an owner in the league that has more passion for his team than Jim.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Haslam Browns sounds more like the late 70’s early 80’s Baltimore Colts of Robert Irsay. The disfunction of those  Colt teams made the current Brown’s issues look like a picnic. 

 

Jim is a good owner that occasionally makes bombastic statements and tweets, but has it all over his dad’s Colts and Haslam’s Browns. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

The Haslam Browns sounds more like the late 70’s early 80’s Baltimore Colts of Robert Irsay. The disfunction of those  Colt teams made the current Brown’s issues look like a picnic. 

 

Jim is a good owner that occasionally makes bombastic statements and tweets, but has it all over his dad’s Colts and Haslam’s Browns. 

I think Jim had to learn to be a good owner. He was ill prepared to be the GM when it was thrown on him.  He has gone way out of his way not to make the mistakes his father made.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, apparently the writers at ESPN feel comfortable revealing their bigoted stereotypes.

 

"Haslam looks like what he is: a rich, well-tailored Southerner who wears a suit well but might seem most comfortable in shorts at a University of Tennessee tailgate." 

 

Gotta wonder if anybody would get into trouble if they stereotyped what Hue Jackson looks like?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, DougDew said:

Wow, apparently the writers at ESPN feel comfortable revealing their bigoted stereotypes.

 

"Haslam looks like what he is: a rich, well-tailored Southerner who wears a suit well but might seem most comfortable in shorts at a University of Tennessee tailgate." 

 

Gotta wonder if anybody would get into trouble if they stereotyped what Hue Jackson looks like?

He looks like he "...might seem most comfortable in shorts..." .  Might.  Has the biased writer ever seen Mr. Haslam in shorts? Is it "bad" to be comfortable in shorts? Is it bad to be a rich, well-tailored Southerner who wears a suit well?

 

You are 100% correct.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/26/2019 at 7:41 PM, crazycolt1 said:

I think Jim had to learn to be a good owner. He was ill prepared to be the GM when it was thrown on him.  He has gone way out of his way not to make the mistakes his father made.

 

The most important decision Jim Irsay made as a new owner was to hire a football pro to run football ops. He said he knew he wasn't a good GM and needed someone to run the team, so he hired Polian, gave him the resources he asked for, and let him do his job. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

The most important decision Jim Irsay made as a new owner was to hire a football pro to run football ops. He said he knew he wasn't a good GM and needed someone to run the team, so he hired Polian, gave him the resources he asked for, and let him do his job. 

:agree:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Irsay is a little crazy in his personality and probably had a problem with painkillers, but his football decision making is sound.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This might be a dumb question. But when Irsay passes away who is the new owner? Does he have kids?

 

Irsay might have a lot of personal issues but he is a great owner. He lets everyone do their jobs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

This might be a dumb question. But when Irsay passes away who is the new owner? Does he have kids?

 

Irsay might have a lot of personal issues but he is a great owner. He lets everyone do their jobs.

I am guessing his oldest daughter will take over the team.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I heard a story the other day that Irsay sent his personal plane to pick up someone’s dog. The guy has a huge heart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • I was wondering about his 40 time. Says here it was 4.75 which is not blazing but considering he was 6’5-1/2” and 262 lbs at the time, it’s respectable.   He may not be able to run away from some defenders but he can certainly box them out.   It also said a few teams were interested in him.   https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.richmond.com/sports/college/schools/virginia-commonwealth-university/alie-cox-wows-nfl-scouts-will-visit-several-teams-in/article_8e0b8492-ce06-555f-85df-2232443fe8c5.amp.html
    • I’m not a big fan of trading for Conley. His injury history worries me. I do think PG is the position we must up grade this off season.     One would think New Orleans will  want to move Jrue. He’s 29 yrs old and doesn’t fit with the youth movement going on down there. I’d love to bring him to Indy to play next to Vic.   Theres a rumor that the Spurs want to trade DeRozan for Bogy McDermott and the 18th pick.  I am a big Bogy fan but that’s a deal we’d have to take a long look at. 
    • Seems odd in general that it took so long.  Outside of the guy in SD, we rarely hear why someone holds out this long on a mundane contract with so little to quibble over. 
    • One thing I’ll say about Bob though, his small size & Wolverine (comic book character) mentality made him a terror against the run.  With him already being short, when he went submarine on a RB, they really risked their careers if their feet were planted when the Colonel was coming for them.  He turned so many guys into tip toe bandits or sent them helicoptering into the air.  No wonder our run defense was so stout.  Usually only took 1 “meeting” with Bob in the hole, to put fear in the RB’s head the rest of the game...  You had to know where he was at all times or kiss your knees goodbye.
    • I have to disagree with the last sentence. I think Sean Taylor (The former Hurricane & Redskin safety) was and would have statistically been better than all 3 had he not been murdered.  That dude was what you’d get if you created a cyborg safety. Big. Fast. Physical. And immaculate receiver level ball skills...  I still love the other 3, especially the Colonel, but Taylor was on another level.  A combination of all 3.
  • Members

    • ColtJax

      ColtJax 72

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • newb767

      newb767 27

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • lincolndefan

      lincolndefan 2

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • jchandler7

      jchandler7 239

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Nick93

      Nick93 24

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Moe

      Moe 42

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Indyfan4life

      Indyfan4life 1,142

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Fourstar40

      Fourstar40 2

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • coltsfansince65

      coltsfansince65 1,261

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Shive

      Shive 1,505

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...