Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Second Round, Coby Fleener

That was also what i was thinking. The only problem is will he be there. He is ranked #1 in TEs if im not mistaken

It only takes one team to fall in love with a player and take him earlier than his grade. Fleener has a late first/early second round grade and as unusual as it is for us Colts fans to be picking that early, there is a good chance he is still available when we pick

I've been watching him for awhile now, but it wont happen. His stock went up after the combine and I'm positive he will be the first TE off the board. He will be taken by New York at 32; didn't anyone see what happened to their two TE's in the Super Bowl?

I don't mean to break up the love connection, but am I really the only one that thinks we can do much better than a TE at #34? Think about some of the guys that might be there. Mohamed Sanu, Alshon Jeffery, Mark Barron, Alfonzo Dennard, Stephen Gilmore, Devon Still...

If we can resign Tamme, I don't see TE as a huge concern over other positions such as the ones listed above, WR, SS, CB, DT.

If we get a TE in the draft, I don't think it comes until the 4th round. Ladarius Green would be a good pick there.

Not saying Fleener isn't a great player with instant chemistry between himself and Luck, but I don't want two good TE's and Austin Collie as my number 1 WR. That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

I don't mean to break up the love connection, but am I really the only one that thinks we can do much better than a TE at #34? Think about some of the guys that might be there. Mohamed Sanu, Alshon Jeffery, Mark Barron, Alfonzo Dennard, Stephen Gilmore, Devon Still...

If we can resign Tamme, I don't see TE as a huge concern over other positions such as the ones listed above, WR, SS, CB, DT.

If we get a TE in the draft, I don't think it comes until the 4th round. Ladarius Green would be a good pick there.

Not saying Fleener isn't a great player with instant chemistry between himself and Luck, but I don't want two good TE's and Austin Collie as my number 1 WR. That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

when you're as bad as the colts you try to take the best player available....as much as you can...obviously the colts aren't taking another qb at 34 even if he is the highest on their board.

I've been watching him for awhile now, but it wont happen. His stock went up after the combine and I'm positive he will be the first TE off the board. He will be taken by New York at 32; didn't anyone see what happened to their two TE's in the Super Bowl?

the only thing he did at the combine was lift. i don't think he ran or did any of the drills, so i don't know how his stock went up that much...

the only thing he did at the combine was lift. i don't think he ran or did any of the drills, so i don't know how his stock went up that much...

It's not so much what he did as much as what the other tight ends didn't do. Dwayne Allen, who was #1 on a lot of mock drafts, slipped to #2 because his combine performance wasn't spectacular.

http://www.orangeandwhite.com/news/2012/feb/27/dwayne-allens-489-combine-40-damaging-flop-or-insi/?partner=RSS

It's not so much what he did as much as what the other tight ends didn't do. Dwayne Allen, who was #1 on a lot of mock drafts, slipped to #2 because his combine performance wasn't spectacular.

http://www.orangeand...si/?partner=RSS

that doesn't move him up the boards much, it just makes him the number 1 te. wouldn't be surprised if he moves up after his pro day though.

He will absolutely not be there in the second, and even if he is, there are more pressing needs for the Colts than taking him. It would be a much better move for the Colts to resign Jacob Tamme to be a serviceable tight end, and draft a DT with the second round pick.

that doesn't move him up the boards much, it just makes him the number 1 te. wouldn't be surprised if he moves up after his pro day though.

It moves him up enough and into the first round for the Colts not to be able to grab him, so... he will either get drafted by the 49ers or the Giants.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2012/02/26/SPN81NCN4H.DTL

http://www.bigblueview.com/2012/3/7/2852271/mel-kiper-todd-mcshay-mock-drafts-version-3-coby-fleener-new-york-giants

With Tamme as the probably new TE (even though he's a FA), it looks like Fleener would not be the greatest pick. He's a great young kid who has tremendous upside. We have more needs on the team and the 2nd round pick should be used on those needs.

when you're as bad as the colts you try to take the best player available....as much as you can...obviously the colts aren't taking another qb at 34 even if he is the highest on their board.

I don't see the talent in Fleener that warrents an emergency grab at 34.

If it was Greg Olsen yes, or Vernon Davis Heck yes. Unless this guy is running a 4.5 forty and has a 37 inch vertical it's not worth passing up on Zach Brown, Ta'Amu, Stephon Hill maybe, just maybe Dre Kirkpatrick.

Too many physically talented proven Play makers are gonna fall our way to take Fleener.

Besides, have you seen a Stanford Game. My grandma could put up those stats. Fleener was consistently wide open all season. Half the games Stanford played they scored at least 50 points.

Ugh, yeah I think he'd be great but it's going to be tough for him to last until the second round.

How? This TE honestly is terrible in comparison to recent years. If you saw the combine, then you know you're looking at a much lower overall quality of TEs coming in this draft. It will not be a surprise to see none taken in the 1st round at all.

With Tamme as the probably new TE (even though he's a FA), it looks like Fleener would not be the greatest pick. He's a great young kid who has tremendous upside. We have more needs on the team and the 2nd round pick should be used on those needs.

Exactly. There are WRs, DBs and D-lineman that are better picks at 34 than Fleener.

I think Dwayne Allen is better then Fleener actually and according to cbssports he is to

I agree, I like Fleener and all but Allen has a good chance to be there at 34 as well. If we go TE early I'd rather it be Allen than Fleener.

maybe Fr33upFr33n3y could get a video analysis on AllenvsFleenervsGreen since I see Green's name in a lot of mocks...just a thought

If he's there take him. The only player I'd take in front of him would be Dontari Poe, Michael Floyd, Kendall Wright, or possible a great guard prospect like Cory Glenn or Kelechi Osemele.

I don't think any of those guys are going to be available at 34 except the guards though. A good corner might also fall to us. Truth is there are so many good players and we have so many needs it's hard to lock in on one player.

well I was all for defense before these last few releases combined with free agents to be come tomorrow, but we need a balance of both offense and defense in the draft, Tamme I think can take over for Clark, I came away as impressed with him as I have been with Clark, but I agree bringing in someone that Luck is familiar with is a good idea, we also need a number one receiver, a corner or two, a defensive Tackle or two, need I go on? cause I can

I still can't see us taking him if we resign Tamme. Unless we let Tamme walk, I see no point in taking him at 34 unless he's the BPA at that time. There's prospects just as good at other positions that are of a more important need than TE. Makes no sense to get him if a better play at a position we actually need is available, which at this rate I'm starting to find more likely.

I don't think Fleener or Allen will be available with our 2nd round pick.

Honestly, neither of of them are particularly elite (like a Vernon Davis or Rob Gronkowski), but teams will over-reach for them based on what TE's are doing in the league right now.

I would concentrate on getting a TE in later drafts. This year's crop isn't particularly that impressive.

I don't see the talent in Fleener that warrents an emergency grab at 34.

If it was Greg Olsen yes, or Vernon Davis Heck yes. Unless this guy is running a 4.5 forty and has a 37 inch vertical it's not worth passing up on Zach Brown, Ta'Amu, Stephon Hill maybe, just maybe Dre Kirkpatrick.

Too many physically talented proven Play makers are gonna fall our way to take Fleener.

Besides, have you seen a Stanford Game. My grandma could put up those stats. Fleener was consistently wide open all season. Half the games Stanford played they scored at least 50 points.

not sure why this was directed towards me. i wasn't advocating taking fleener, unless the colts feel he is the best player. i just can't stand when people say the colts have to get "x position" in this round and "y position" in this round. the colts were 2-14 last year.....they need good players period.

Honestly, neither of of them are particularly elite (like a Vernon Davis or Rob Gronkowski), but teams will over-reach for them based on what TE's are doing in the league right now.

I would concentrate on getting a TE in later drafts. This year's crop isn't particularly that impressive.

actually i would be stunned if allen wasn't available at 34

Some people thought about that with Kyle Rudolph saying out of all the TEs he'd be the one drafted in the 1st round. Dude ended up going in the 2nd round to the Vikings at pick number 40 something. This TE class is not that deep and I doubt teams will reach this year if they didn't reach last year which probably had a better TE class overall than this one. I just don't get why any of these teams would reach at TE of all positions when they know the TE class isn't that good in comparison to years past. While Fleener and Allen are both good TEs, to see both of them at 34 wouldn't be a surprise at all. Who knows what will happen, but it won't be a surprise to me to see either or both at 34.

Why not pass on Fleener since CB and NT are more critical and we know good athletes will be there at CB and NT in rounds 2 and 3. We could take a WR in round 4 and look for a TE in round 5. James Hanna TE from Oklahoma might still be there in round 5. He is 6-4, weighs 252 with a 36.5V. He ran 4.42 and 4.49 forties at the combine. He had 4.11S, 6.76C and 24 Reps. He has 33 in arms and almost 10 in hands. His numbers are similar to Dallas Clark when he came out and he is expected to last to round 5 or 6 in a deep draft.

I would be happy with Fleener or the best available WR, CB, or NT (if their is a legitimate NT available). Since we might struggle this year and have another high first rounder next year, perhaps we can get a stud WR next year.

Yup, watch us go 2-14 or 3-13 and draft Robert Woods.

Why not pass on Fleener since CB and NT are more critical and we know good athletes will be there at CB and NT in rounds 2 and 3. We could take a WR in round 4 and look for a TE in round 5. James Hanna TE from Oklahoma might still be there in round 5. He is 6-4, weighs 252 with a 36.5V. He ran 4.42 and 4.49 forties at the combine. He had 4.11S, 6.76C and 24 Reps. He has 33 in arms and almost 10 in hands. His numbers are similar to Dallas Clark when he came out and he is expected to last to round 5 or 6 in a deep draft.

Look beyond the numbers. His game tape is not that good. He'd be a fine project, but he wouldn't be reliable enough to start early. I think they either need a guy in FA to hold the line or be the guy for a while, or they need a more pro ready TE.