Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts only team to dominate and random wildcard facts

The colts are the only team this weekend to blow out and dominate their opponent.

Some other random facts

Cowboys only team to win home games

Young quarterbacks in first season still have trouble winning playoff games. Dak doesn’t count because he has a little more experience.

No matter how good your defense you  have to put up points to win playoff games.

I would agree.  Although Mahomes was stupendous this year, this is the playoffs and sometimes these first-timers get a little "tight" and start short-hopping throws or over-throwing.  It happened to Luck in Baltimore.  We will know pretty quickly if the playoff jitters are getting to Mahomes or not.  IMHO, the best thing the Chiefs could do for him is get him some confidence by throwing short and getting him a rhythm before they try to go long.

Both teams aren't going to get much pressure on the QB.  Colts only allowed 18 sacks and the Chiefs were close with just 26 given up.  Both teams run the ball pretty well but the Chiefs were better.  And the Colts were the best 3rd down team with the Chiefs 2nd.  So expect the ball to move in this one.  And of course they were both top 5 in scoring.  Offenses are going to do their thing.

Defensively, the Chiefs and Colts are fairly even in defending the pass.  Both have their strengths and weaknesses there as the Chiefs get more sacks but the Colts give up less 3rd downs.  But the run defense is where the glaring weakness is for the Chiefs.  They rank near the bottom of most run defense categories while the Colts are mid to top tier in the same.  

If the Colts are smart, and they appear to be, they will try to establish the ground game early in this one.  If they can be effective with it, I like their chances much better on Saturday than if they have to throw it 50+ times.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

The colts are the only team this weekend to blow out and dominate their opponent.

Some other random facts

Cowboys only team to win home games

Young quarterbacks in first season still have trouble winning playoff games. Dak doesn’t count because he has a little more experience.

No matter how good your defense you  have to put up points to win playoff games.

Yeah we won by 14.  But we're u nervous that 10 mins or so of the game? I was, so I wouldn't say it was a total game domination. First half yea,but  late in the 2nd half I was stressed.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

You know what I meant. Having a great defense but only scoring a few points isnt going  to win in the playoffs. Offense will win out. This is a offensive league.

I was only joking.

but I think this weekend contradicts your view.  The highest scoring team this weekend were the Cowboys with 24.

1 minute ago, BOTT said:

I was only joking.

but I think this weekend contradicts your view.  The highest scoring team this weekend were the Cowboys with 24.

Yes but the two best defensive teams are out because they could barely get a touchdown. Not talking having to score 50. Just have to beable score a few touchdowns.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Brazilian Ninja said:

Dak Prescott wasn't playing his first playoff game. In 2016 he made his debut versus the Green Bay Packers.

So all first timers lost actually.

Watson, Jackson, and trubisky lost. I was referring to them and Mahomes

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, krunk said:

I cant believe it, but even Deion Sanders is giving respect to the Colts. So much so that he doesn't even know who he is picking. He said man the Colts can play! Prime said he's been slipping on us all season long. Said Luck looked phoenomenal.

https://youtu.be/dJhA-0VtW2c

I never thought I would hear can the colts be stopped running the ball. Never thought we would have a team like that.

Seems like everyone is agreeing. Run the football and limit KC offensive opportunities.

9 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I never thought I would hear can the colts be stopped running the ball. Never thought we would have a team like that.

Seems like everyone is agreeing. Run the football and limit KC offensive opportunities.

I never thought I'd hear Prime give us any credit. He's always lukewarm on Luck and the Colts.

• Like 2

Just now, Tsarquise said:

I heard them say Luck can't get in scoring match with Mahomes. 

Everyone forgets that Luck is a gunslinger, too. 

Yes but I agree we don’t want to get into a shootout with them that makes us one dimensional. They have bigger threats if we do that.  If we stay balanced Luck should be able to stay upright.

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Yes but I agree we don’t want to get into a shootout with them that makes us one dimensional. They have bigger threats if we do that.  If we stay balanced Luck should be able to stay upright.

Oh, yeah, I agree, too. If we can run and go on long, methodical scoring drives, we have a great chance to win. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Do we think that KC has a better pass rush or the Texans? 

I don't think we will have major problems dealing with them. We should be able to keep them off balance with play action. They are bad at stopping the run.

46 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

Andy Reid knows better that's for sure. He knows Luck can for damn sure do a shoot out.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

The chargers and Cowboys were in full control of their games until both teams tried to rally in the fourth quarter.  Really only the eagles and Bears game was competitive all the way through. 

Maybe but they didn’t score hardly any points. They were never ahead by three touchdowns like we were. We were dominate on both sides of the ball. 

12 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Do we think that KC has a better pass rush or the Texans? 

I don't know what "we" think, but I think the Chiefs pass rush will be more effective against the Colts than the Texans pass rush because of speed.

As much as I like JJ Watt (he is one of my favorite non colts players to watch) his game is strength effort and football intelligence.  While Clowney is quicker than Watt, his game is very similar.  

KC has Houston and Ford both are speed, agility guys.  Then add to that a strong/fast DT in Jones means that Smith and AC are going to have to handle Ford and Houston a lot man on man.

I think the Colts oline will win most of the battles, but I do think KC will pressure/hit and sack Luck more than the Texans were able to.

12 hours ago, Tsarquise said:

Luck and this entire team has evolved this season from a different approach than they have during his career so far. Now, the team is a take what you’re giving approach as opposed to telling Luck, here is the ball, go win it. They are actually playing complete team football and it definitely helps to see the defense hold up their end of the bargain game after game. Both sides can feed off each other.  Now we need the special teams to break off a couple big returns without flags. ST is the anchor of the team now (sarcasm)

• Like 1