Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Any Chance The Colts Draft Rg3?

Hasn't Irsay already said "Andrew" instead of the #1 pick at least once?

IMHO both are going to be excellent players. But (also IMHO) RG3 has more personality and marketability. That may not matter on the field, but who didn't enjoy seeing Peyton in all those commercials?

I can't imagine that the Colts would gamble on Griffin. For one thing, Luck seems like a better fit for the coaching staff that they've assembled. For another, even if their skills sets and mental acuity are identical (which few seem to think), Luck is simply bigger and stronger, and on that basis alone is a better long term QB prospect. Griffin may well have his moments, but he may well get beaten up by routine plays that Luck absorbs with no issues. After releasing Peyton Manning, do you really think that the Colts are going to "go there"?

Ok some may think this is ludicrous and out of left field, as much as I am excited to see Luck in blue and white I feel like taking Matt Kalil to shore up our offensive line and do what they need to do in order to secure Matt Flynn out of Green Bay through free agency would be a better choice. It's anybodys guess whether Matt Flynn will be good or not, but the same goes with either Luck or RGIII. I understand its not going to happen, but I just wanted to pose the question to see what other people would think about my scenario.

It will be Luck. No doubt. Don't listen to the hype, Luck is a better prospect, and he is ready to start from day 1. RG3 will have a steep learning curve, and you never know if he can adjust to an NFL system, even though he is a smart kid.

My greatest fear regarding RG3 is injuries. He doesn't have the bulk Vick has, and look at his injuries. Besides he had an ACL tear that ruined his entire 2009 season, and he had a couple of concussions. This does not bode well, considering that most experts want him to run a lot more to utilize his talent.

I know I know, the scouts rave about Andrew (and I would rather they draft him too). Any chance the Colts pull another curve ball on us and go RG3 in light of his recent hype?

NO!!!!!!!!! Next question now. RG3 = Leaf in hype/bust material. There is no denying it... He is a 1 year fluke, will want to run-first in NFL pressure because he couldn't even handle college 3rd down pressure and ended up having a 15.1QB Rating!!! He is a complete joke and utter waste of time to even consider. Redskins are fools and will be exposed as such in the next couple of years. Let them have the bad science experiment... We all already know the results. Fail = Michael Vick, Vince young, Randall Cunningham, Donovan McNabb

They're taking Luck without a doubt. If they wanted RGIII, they would've traded out of the first spot and tried to ge him at 2 or 3. Instead of the Rams making a huge trade, the Colts would have, and used some of their gains to position themselves to get RGIII. Since that hasn't happened, you can bet they're going with Luck.

Ok some may think this is ludicrous and out of left field, as much as I am excited to see Luck in blue and white I feel like taking Matt Kalil to shore up our offensive line and do what they need to do in order to secure Matt Flynn out of Green Bay through free agency would be a better choice. It's anybodys guess whether Matt Flynn will be good or not, but the same goes with either Luck or RGIII. I understand its not going to happen, but I just wanted to pose the question to see what other people would think about my scenario.

I'll just put it this way jrmitch.... if the Colts take anyone other than Andrew Luck at the #1 overall spot, which in and of itself would be shocking enough.... they will have, at the very least, badly bungled the golden trade-down opportunities that would have netted A TON of extra draft picks. I like Matt Kalil, but from a pure market value standpoint, selecting him #1 overall would be catastrophically foolish in a draft where Andrew Luck is drawing comparisons to HoF QBs.

Short of a trade down bonanza with Cleveland you simply CANNOT do that.

I would like to ask RGIII fans to go back and watch game film on him, or go onto youtube and watch his highlights. Here is what I would like you to do, on every throw, ask yourself "is he throwing to his first read?" you can tell by his head movement. A majority of his throws are to his first read, and you will notice on many occasions that if his first option is not available, he will not look for his second receiver. He will run. This is not good at the NFL level.

If you watch game film on Luck, you will see that he stands in the pocket and surveys the entire field. His head swings from the right to left, and he usually finds the open receiver. He is clearly at a much higher level than RGIII. RGIII has had success because of the system and because of his freakish atheleticism, which is a positive attribute. Luck is the safer and more polished QB of the two.

I would like to ask RGIII fans to go back and watch game film on him, or go onto youtube and watch his highlights. Here is what I would like you to do, on every throw, ask yourself "is he throwing to his first read?" you can tell by his head movement. A majority of his throws are to his first read, and you will notice on many occasions that if his first option is not available, he will not look for his second receiver. He will run. This is not good at the NFL level.

If you watch game film on Luck, you will see that he stands in the pocket and surveys the entire field. His head swings from the right to left, and he usually finds the open receiver. He is clearly at a much higher level than RGIII. RGIII has had success because of the system and because of his freakish atheleticism, which is a positive attribute. Luck is the safer and more polished QB of the two.

well said and my thoughts exactly

I'm not an RGIII fan but I am a fan of correct information and this post is misleading.

1) Most QB the majority of his throws are to the first read.... that is why that player is the first read.

2) RGIII completed 776 passes in his college career. If those were to his first read, then I wish the Colts would hire that OC because that is incredible to have the first read be open that often.

3) RGIII, in the bowl game really went through his progressions well. But most of the other highligts I've seen he would look at one, at two and then run.

Luck is the more polished of the two (I won't say safer because there is no such thing as a safe pick) and the biggest advantage for Luck that I have seen his Luck ability to place the ball in the correct position for the receiver that I have not seen consistently from RGIII. I'm not just talking about accuracy (the ability to throw the ball in an area for the receiver to make the catch.) I'm talking about placement... the ability to throw the ball away from the defender while still putting it in a position for the receiver to make the catch, for example consistently throwing the the left shoulder of a receiver when the defender is on the receivers right side. Putting the ball down low when the defender is running coming from deeper down the field, putting air under it when the defender is trailing the receiver.

That is Luck's advantage and that is what makes him a better pro prospect than RGIII.

I'm not an RGIII fan but I am a fan of correct information and this post is misleading.

1) Most QB the majority of his throws are to the first read.... that is why that player is the first read.

2) RGIII completed 776 passes in his college career. If those were to his first read, then I wish the Colts would hire that OC because that is incredible to have the first read be open that often.

3) RGIII, in the bowl game really went through his progressions well. But most of the other highligts I've seen he would look at one, at two and then run.

Luck is the more polished of the two (I won't say safer because there is no such thing as a safe pick) and the biggest advantage for Luck that I have seen his Luck ability to place the ball in the correct position for the receiver that I have not seen consistently from RGIII. I'm not just talking about accuracy (the ability to throw the ball in an area for the receiver to make the catch.) I'm talking about placement... the ability to throw the ball away from the defender while still putting it in a position for the receiver to make the catch, for example consistently throwing the the left shoulder of a receiver when the defender is on the receivers right side. Putting the ball down low when the defender is running coming from deeper down the field, putting air under it when the defender is trailing the receiver.

That is Luck's advantage and that is what makes him a better pro prospect than RGIII.

Thanks for the discussion on RGIII and Luck. I'd like to mention that the system that RGIII plays in makes a huge contribution to his success.

1. Your first statement is accurate. Most plays are designed with a first read in mind and RGIII will usually know exactly when to go to his first read. He doesn't however, very often look for his second read. This is something that we may debate, as you feel that he does, and I feel that he does not. Considering that RGIII rushed more times this past year than either of our starting runningbacks, Addai or Brown, this would indicate that RGIII has a propensity to tuck the ball and run far more often than to sit inthe pocket and go through hs progressions.

2. Yes RGIII has completed numerous passes. You attribute that to his ability to go through his progressions, while atribute it to the system. Let's examine Case Keenum who had a 71% completion percentage, and Graham Harrel, who also had a 71% completion percentage. Is it no coincidence that these three quarterbacks have nearly the same completion percentage and run the spread offense? That's why they run this type of offense in college. It's highly effective and takes advantage of 1-on-1 match-ups against the defensive coverage. If you give a good receiver a 1-on1 match up, it's usually always to the receiver's benefit. This of course would not work in the NFL, so we don't need RGIII's coordinator.

3. RGIII did play well in the bowl game, I agree with you there, however, he was outplayed by the Washington QB in that game.

Thanks for the discussion on RGIII and Luck. I'd like to mention that the system that RGIII plays in makes a huge contribution to his success.

1. Your first statement is accurate. Most plays are designed with a first read in mind and RGIII will usually know exactly when to go to his first read. He doesn't however, very often look for his second read. This is something that we may debate, as you feel that he does, and I feel that he does not. Considering that RGIII rushed more times this past year than either of our starting runningbacks, Addai or Brown, this would indicate that RGIII has a propensity to tuck the ball and run far more often than to sit inthe pocket and go through hs progressions.

Comparing RGIII rushes to two Colts RBs who neither played a full season is not an effective comparison.
2. Yes RGIII has completed numerous passes. You attribute that to his ability to go through his progressions, while atribute it to the system. Let's examine Case Keenum who had a 71% completion percentage, and Graham Harrel, who also had a 71% completion percentage. Is it no coincidence that these three quarterbacks have nearly the same completion percentage and run the spread offense? That's why they run this type of offense in college. It's highly effective and takes advantage of 1-on-1 match-ups against the defensive coverage. If you give a good receiver a 1-on1 match up, it's usually always to the receiver's benefit. This of course would not work in the NFL, so we don't need RGIII's coordinator.

That is one reason why I don't look(closely) at completion percentage of college QBs because so much of it is based on the system. That is why I look at things like placement, who they decide to throw the ball to, how much of the catch is the receiver and how much is the QB and how they play in the last two minutes of a half.

You mention Keenum, I was watching highlights of Patrick Edwards (WR, Houston) and I became really impressed with Keenum. Yes, it's a spread offense and their is the whole level of compeition but if this guy gets a chance to play in the NFL he is going to do well. I was watching those things that I mentioned above and thought he has all the tools and then I looked at his stats and it pretty much confirmed what I thought.