Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew Luck = New Face Of The NFL

Lucky Colts Fan

4 hours ago, chipster said:

LETS CRY OVER SPILLED MILK...    Does everyone know that if the colts would have punt in that over time game with Houston.. we would have tied and the Texans would be playing us in INDY,. 

You're not using hindsight properly because that play helped set the tone for the season as it created a winner's mentality amongst the players.  Frank made a great call.  

Besides, Andrew plays great in Houston.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, chipster said:

LETS CRY OVER SPILLED MILK...    Does everyone know that if the colts would have punt in that over time game with Houston.. we would have tied and the Texans would be playing us in INDY,. 

In hindsight, it's probably good.  It means if we beat Houston, in Houston (which we just recently did), we go to KC.  They are a very beatable team and never do well in the playoffs.  It means the Chargers/Ravens go to NE, who are both capable of beating NE.  We are very capable of beating any of those 3 teams, but NE would be the last one I would want to face due to Belichek (though, Reich did some offensive play-calling magic against them with Philly last year).

IMO, our road to the SB is easier as the 6 than it would be as the 3.  

As @Clem-Dog said.. the losses early in the season helped this team build character.  We were in the same position against the G-men as we were in Cincy (when Doyle fumbled the ball deep in their scoring territory).  No way do we score with 55 seconds left to win by 1 point against NYG if we were the same mentality that we were when we faced Cincy.

I really want to see Nick Foles or Drew Brees come out as NFC Champions and Indy in the AFC (great story-line either way.. Reich vs. his old team or Indy vs. NO round 2).

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, chipster said:

Old news. We made the Playoffs so it doesn't matter. If we are the better team we should win in Houston anyway. Had we not made the Playoffs, people would have a serious gripe then about that game. Actually what Reich did by going for it was showing trust in his players and the players fed off of that the rest of the season. Players love that kind of stuff. I still agree with his call to go for it.

-Had we missed the Playoffs I would've pointed more toward the Jags game is why. We had no business losing to a Cody Kessler led team that only put up 6 points. That has been the only time in Luck's career he has been shutout. That particular game is when Reich didn't have his best moment by going for it alot, etc..

• Thanks 1

Reich made a bad / very bad / poor call v Texans. Sugar coating it to look loyal or to believe he needeed to lose ground to galvanise the locker room is just tripe. He also made poor decisions vs Jags. Take the points early. He assumed with Kessler in play, Jags were no real threat. 

He is a rookie HC, and he is allowed to make mistakes. No need to cover for him. I was super mad when he made that call, but it is history now. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, chipster said:

That is assuming the decision by Frank had no positive effect on team and coaching staff chemistry. Therefore future wins and losses.  
 Don't you KNOW that? 
And do you know if we didn't have so many players missing so much practice because of injuries our chances of winning would be better?

6 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

That is assuming the decision by Frank had no positive effect on team and coaching staff chemistry. Therefore future wins and losses.  
 Don't you KNOW that? 
And do you know if we didn't have so many players missing so much practice because of injuries our chances of winning would be better?

What people forget about that game was TY Hilton was out in the 4th Qtr and OT. Had we had him, we probably win.

Nah. I like him flying under the radar lol. At the beginning of the season AFTER he had thrown in preseason. People didn't think he could throw haha. Just sliently went about his business. Almost posting career highs. Maybe someone else can be the face while Andrew silent Luck goes about his business!

1 hour ago, braveheartcolt said:

Reich made a bad / very bad / poor call v Texans. Sugar coating it to look loyal or to believe he needeed to lose ground to galvanise the locker room is just tripe. He also made poor decisions vs Jags. Take the points early. He assumed with Kessler in play, Jags were no real threat. 

He is a rookie HC, and he is allowed to make mistakes. No need to cover for him. I was super mad when he made that call, but it is history now. 

Every bit of this^^^^

2 hours ago, braveheartcolt said:

As a player, he made the right call. As a fan/coach, he made the wrong call IN HINDSIGHT. We can armchair QB the whole season but in the end he made the call the players wanted, a large portion of the fans wanted. It just didn’t work out. It’s hard to call plays mistakes when in reality they’re gambles with varying levels of success/payoff.

3 hours ago, braveheartcolt said:

I think you’re wrong and so so many others. I still support that decision at that time based on the status of the team at that given time. 1-4 at that time iirc and a team looking forward to competing strong after another draft and FA. Jax looked like it was the best, Titans looked strong. I still feel like Frank felt in order to have any chance for post season stuff, he was going to have to risk stealing a game or two this season. I fully support the decision still from that call. 

As to the Jax game, yeah, there he should have taken the points when he could. That sure was a bad offensive output for such a good team. We didn’t do our best in the coaching, planning and playing on offense that game.  Defense was the bomb though. 

There Re was no guarantee that we would have stopped Texans to gain a tie anyways and how differently would the conversation be today if he had not tried to go for it and instead gave the ball back and the Texans scores anyways? Would the team reacted and responded through the season any differently? We will never know but I think that was 100% the correct call for that situation. 

4 hours ago, braveheartcolt said:

2 hours ago, Pelt said:

Every bit of this^^^^

But they would have been good/very good/great calls had they all worked, right?

Reich threw a slant to a small rookie RB with a small catch-radius (Hines) on a 4th and 3 in Tennessee last week.  I couldn't believe it.  Nobody does that.  That play doesn't work and the Titans have the ball at midfield and the Colts end that drive with no points.  He would have been crucified if that play hadn't worked.

But it did.  So whether a play-call is "good" or "bad" is completely dependent on if it works or not... which seems like backward thinking since the coach can't know if the play will work when he has to make the call.  :dunno:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

But they would have been good/very good/great calls had they all worked, right?

Reich threw a slant to a small rookie RB with a small catch-radius (Hines) on a 4th and 3 in Tennessee last week.  I couldn't believe it.  Nobody does that.  That play doesn't work and the Titans have the ball at midfield and the Colts end that drive with no points.  He would have been crucified if that play hadn't worked.

But it did.  So whether a play-call is "good" or "bad" is completely dependent on if it works or not... which seems like backward thinking since the coach can't know if the play will work when he has to make the call.  :dunno:

You are 100% correct. The same people upset with Reich going for it against Houston are the same people that would be calling him a genius had we got the 1st down and won the game. It's easy to be critical and use hindsight when something fails. If anyone says they would not of praised Reich for being a genius had we got it, I call nonsense. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bluebombers87 said:

As a player, he made the right call. As a fan/coach, he made the wrong call IN HINDSIGHT. We can armchair QB the whole season but in the end he made the call the players wanted, a large portion of the fans wanted. It just didn’t work out. It’s hard to call plays mistakes when in reality they’re gambles with varying levels of success/payoff.

No hindsight involved. You take the half point and move on. It was a stupid call. His gamble should have came on the first OT drive when we had a 4th and 2. 

1 hour ago, Jdubu said:

I think you’re wrong and so so many others. I still support that decision at that time based on the status of the team at that given time. 1-4 at that time iirc and a team looking forward to competing strong after another draft and FA. Jax looked like it was the best, Titans looked strong. I still feel like Frank felt in order to have any chance for post season stuff, he was going to have to risk stealing a game or two this season. I fully support the decision still from that call. 

As to the Jax game, yeah, there he should have taken the points when he could. That sure was a bad offensive output for such a good team. We didn’t do our best in the coaching, planning and playing on offense that game.  Defense was the bomb though. 

There Re was no guarantee that we would have stopped Texans to gain a tie anyways and how differently would the conversation be today if he had not tried to go for it and instead gave the ball back and the Texans scores anyways? Would the team reacted and responded through the season any differently? We will never know but I think that was 100% the correct call for that situation. 

Sorry, it's my opinion therefore I can't be 'wrong', can I?

He had better opportunities in that game, including the same down, when he tried to draw them offside. He gave away the element of surprise right there.

It's all history now. 

19 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You are 100% correct. The same people upset with Reich going for it against Houston are the same people that would be calling him a genius had we got the 1st down and won the game. It's easy to be critical and use hindsight when something fails. If anyone says they would not of praised Reich for being a genius had we got it, I call nonsense. 

What you on about? Two different scenarios. Big difference gambling during the game when you have time to recover, or when the game was on the line. If this was Pagano, no one on here would be saying it was the correct call. Reich is a great prospect, but he is learning. It is ok to be critical.

11 minutes ago, braveheartcolt said:

No hindsight involved. You take the half point and move on. It was a stupid call. His gamble should have came on the first OT drive when we had a 4th and 2. 

Of course hindsight is involved. Had it worked he’d be called gutsy.

Reich is aggressive. I’m sure if you asked the players, they would’ve said go for it. I’m sure a large portion of the fans would say go for it. I’d rather have a coach that risks it and as someone said earlier “steal a win” when we’re 1-4 and jumpstart our season.

Gutsy call from someone who isn’t afraid, unlike some others.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, braveheartcolt said:

What you on about? Two different scenarios. Big difference gambling during the game when you have time to recover, or when the game was on the line. If this was Pagano, no one on here would be saying it was the correct call. Reich is a great prospect, but he is learning. It is ok to be critical.

We will have to agree to disagree. You clearly thought it was wrong to go for it and because we did not get it you look good in the situation for being critical. I was ok with him going for it. My point was had it worked you would've praised him for going for it.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, braveheartcolt said:

Gutsy or Foolish. We see t differently. Why wasn't he gutsy when we had a 4th & 2 on the first drive in OT wwhen Watt and Co were on their knees? Answer me that sir?

Because he was in field goal range?

The 4th and 4 (which both Saturday and Clark agreed with but what do they know) was near enough mid field (43) that would’ve ended the game had the Colts got four yards. Defense had been gashed all game and Reich felt he had a higher success in his offense performing and getting four yards then his defense stopping their offense.

Again, the players and most football people agreed with Reich for going for it, including (as mentioned before Saturday and Clark). Those that were against it are a few fans and Bob Kravitz. What storied company, sir.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, braveheartcolt said:

Read my previous. Posts before boarding the Hogwash Express.

Care to elaborate?

I'm seeing you criticize the plays where Reich went for it on 4th down and didn't get the 1st/TD, like in the first Texans game and second Jags game.  But I haven't seen any criticism of the plays where he went for it on 4th down and did get the 1st/TD, like the ill-advised 4th down pass in Tennessee last week to a RB that's dropped critical passes earlier this season.

Feel free to point those out Captain Hindsight, cuz I don't see 'em.  :hat:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We will have to agree to disagree. You clearly thought it was wrong to go for it and because we did not get it you look good in the situation for being critical. I was ok with him going for it. My point was had it worked you would've praised him for going for it.  

I was very much for going for it on the 4th & 2. I would have been less annoyed if he had called up the 4th & 4 play when everyone thought it was just a ruse to draw them offside. Once he took the time out, he should have accepted an almost certain tie. Perhaps the Texans go 50 yards in 27 seconds, but perhaps we pin them on the 1 yard line and force a safety.

I was very much for going for it on the 4th & 2. I would have been less annoyed if he had called up the 4th & 4 play when everyone thought it was just a ruse to draw them offside. Once he took the time out, he should have accepted an almost certain tie. Perhaps the Texans go 50 yards in 27 seconds, but perhaps we pin them on the 1 yard line and force a safety.

Or maybe we get 25 yards and Vinny wins the game?

You make good points so I hope you do not feel like you are being ganged up on but I still didn't mind him going for it. Yeah it backfired but it was nice seeing a Coach trust his players and be aggressive. Pagano would've never went for it IMO. I just like the fact we were going for the win. To your defense, of course a tie is better than a loss.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, braveheartcolt said:

Exactly. There is no correct answer, but some folks only see it their way.

I see it as we go for it, either we control the game to the end (tie) or we get our HOF kicker a chance to do what he does, win games with his foot. Punting it there removes any chance for a win and goes with a tie. Personally I prefer the aggressive mindset after too many years of playing it safe.

12 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Care to elaborate?

I'm seeing you criticize the plays where Reich went for it on 4th down and didn't get the 1st/TD, like in the first Texans game and second Jags game.  But I haven't seen any criticism of the plays where he went for it on 4th down and did get the 1st/TD, like the ill-advised 4th down pass in Tennessee last week to a RB that's dropped critical passes earlier this season.

11 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Care to elaborate?

Nope, I'm bored with this. And you are being a wee bit rude. I have said my piece already. Cheers.