Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew Luck = New Face Of The NFL

Lucky Colts Fan

52 minutes ago, braveheartcolt said:

Sorry, it's my opinion therefore I can't be 'wrong', can I?

He had better opportunities in that game, including the same down, when he tried to draw them offside. He gave away the element of surprise right there.

It's all history now. 

True on both points. I should have added that both sides are just opinions and mean no more than the lint I find in my pockets. Cheers to a Colts win today!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, braveheartcolt said:

There is no correct answer

Correct, this is all just opinion.  But you're trying to say you aren't using hindsight to form your opinion.

If a play-call is good, it's a good play-call regardless of the outcome.  If it's a bad play-call, it's a bad play-call regardless of the outcome.

For example:  my opinion is that going for it on 4th and goal from the 1 yd-line is a good call because you either get the TD or pin the opponent on their own 1.  Kicking the FG is bad call because yes, you may get points, but only half of what you could have gotten, and you miss out on the chance of a safety and getting the ball back for even more points.

Second example:  my opinion is that throwing the ball to a small rookie RB with a small catch-radius on 4th and 3 when that RB has dropped critical passes in the past is a bad play-call, even if it's converted for a 1st down.

But that's not what you're doing.  You're calling the successful conversions good play-calls and the failed conversions bad play-calls. 

4 minutes ago, braveheartcolt said:

And you are being a wee bit rude.

Not trying to be rude, just pointing out that you're using hindsight.  :shake:

Looking at it as a whole, that play really didn't hurt us. We still made the Playoffs. The only difference would've been, we would be at home vs Houston instead. Will them having HFA matter, who knows really. We seem to play good in Houston. Had we missed the Playoffs than I am sure many would go back to that play and game as the main cause. I still think losing to the Jags was worse, JMO. 

19 minutes ago, braveheartcolt said:

Nope, I'm bored with this. And you are being a wee bit rude. I have said my piece already. Cheers.

I start a thread about Andrew Luck.  Somebody makes a random post about Frank Reichs' play-calling and you chime in calling some of his play-calls bad (but only the ones that didn't work).  I disagree with you fairly respectfully (at least more respectfully than your Hogwash rebuttal, which was probably the rudest post in this exchange).  You get "bored", call me rude for calling out your hindsight, then dismiss me with a "cheers"...

Ok!  haha

2 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I start a thread about Andrew Luck.  Somebody makes a random post about Frank Reichs' play-calling and you chime in calling some of his play-calls bad (but only the ones that didn't work).  I disagree with you fairly respectfully (at least more respectfully than your Hogwash rebuttal, which was probably the rudest post in this exchange).  You get "bored", call me rude for calling out your hindsight, then dismiss me with a "cheers"...

Ok!  haha

Goodness. Learn to sift through jokey comments and tongue in cheek comments and you will be fine. Enjoy the game, and hopefully we will not be discussing poor calls in 7-8 hours time.

1 minute ago, braveheartcolt said:

Learn to sift through jokey comments and tongue in cheek comments and you will be fine.

I am fine.  :thmup:

You should take your own advice.  Whatever you thought was "rude" on my part was me being tongue in cheek while respectfully disagreeing with you.  Maybe I didn't use enough emoticons.  :hat:

Hopefully any "bad" calls we're discussing later happened during a win.  Go Colts!  :td:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, braveheartcolt said:

Reich made a bad / very bad / poor call v Texans. Sugar coating it to look loyal or to believe he needeed to lose ground to galvanise the locker room is just tripe. He also made poor decisions vs Jags. Take the points early. He assumed with Kessler in play, Jags were no real threat. 

He is a rookie HC, and he is allowed to make mistakes. No need to cover for him. I was super mad when he made that call, but it is history now. 

Here's an excerpt from an article about this play:

"Looking back, I knew in that moment, and I knew in the press conference after when he owned it, that we had the right guy," Ballard told NFL.com this week prior to his team's wild-card game against the Texans. "He owned it. Like, 'I went for it, and I'd do it again.' He had that conviction. So many times, you see people try to spin it or make excuses. But real leaders don't blame others no matter how hard it is or even if it's not their fault. They just own it and move forward. That's when I knew, that's when the guys in the locker room knew, we had the right guy."

link:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001007815/article/colts-knew-what-they-had-in-head-coach-frank-reich

• Like 1

Man, I just wish we had this offensive system throughout Luck's career. The pick plays, the EP concepts, beautiful to watch!!! 

Now, I truly and honestly believe we can go toe-to-toe with the best offenses in the league like the Peyton era Colts, not get blown out every time we faced teams like the Patriots, Steelers etc. under the Pagano era. We just need a few man coverage beaters thrown in more but I am certain Reich already has some in his head churning now. But then, Luck could do what Peyton could not when defenders have their backs to him, take off on critical moments. This offense plus Luck's legs, if used in a timely fashion, can really provide us a great ceiling if the team is built right methodically. Go Colts!!!

1 hour ago, Clem-Dog said:

Luck even said he and the other players loved the decision:

https://www.colts.com/video/reich-we-re-not-playing-to-tie

Andrew:  "We're not gonna play for a tie.  I think everybody in that locker room frickin likes that, loves that.  I love that."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Man, I just wish we had this offensive system throughout Luck's career. The pick plays, the EP concepts, beautiful to watch!!! 

Now, I truly and honestly believe we can go toe-to-toe with the best offenses in the league like the Peyton era Colts, not get blown out every time we faced teams like the Patriots, Steelers etc. under the Pagano era. We just need a few man coverage beaters thrown in more but I am certain Reich already has some in his head churning now. But then, Luck could do what Peyton could not when defenders have their backs to him, take off on critical moments. This offense plus Luck's legs, if used in a timely fashion, can really provide us a great ceiling if the team is built right methodically. Go Colts!!!

I am so out of likes.  Well said!