Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

So Who Haven't We Cut Yet?

PatMcAfeeFan

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The guys who actually made a solid impact for the team last year. Mathis, Bethea, Angerer, Brown, Conner, Powers, etc. Brackett, Addai and Bullitt were dead weight and Jacob Tamme has become just as good as Dallas Clark for a lot less money.

Everyone... nah seriously, I think the Colts are done their cuts, well at least their cuts to the big name players. We may say Freeney cut, but that's it. If they were going to be cutting more big players, I would assume it would have been today.

Everyone... nah seriously, I think the Colts are done their cuts, well at least their cuts to the big name players. We may say Freeney cut, but that's it. If they were going to be cutting more big players, I would assume it would have been today.

I don't know what other big name players are left to be cut that make sense beyond Freeney.

You could argue cutting Adam but I don't think that makes sense and if we were going to do it I am with you I think it would have been tonight. The others are guys still under their rookie contracts which means they are cheap. The only other one left is Bethea and I think he's young enough and good enough he warrents keeping. Frankly I think he's the new captain and I don't just mean of the defense I mean of the team for now.

This! I believe he is a better blocker, too.

They appear similar because Clark has declined, not because Tamme is just as good. His primary advantage in comparison is salary and health. I've never seen anything to think that he can impact a game like Clark did in his prime.

They appear similar because Clark has declined, not because Tamme is just as good. His primary advantage in comparison is salary and health. I've never seen anything to think that he can impact a game like Clark did in his prime.

The season were he started 8 games he finished with 67 catches for 631 yards and 4 TDs. That's good by any measure. He did have Peyton throwing it to him, but then again Clark did nothing when he didn't have Peyton throwing it to him too.

I don't know what other big name players are left to be cut that make sense beyond Freeney. You could argue cutting Adam but I don't think that makes sense and if we were going to do it I am with you I think it would have been tonight. The others are guys still under their rookie contracts which means they are cheap. The only other one left is Bethea and I think he's young enough and good enough he warrents keeping. Frankly I think he's the new captain and I don't just mean of the defense I mean of the team for now.

Antoine Bethea is a great player, but I don't see him as a captain, he's not that vocal. I could see a guy like Robert Mathis being a captain just like Allen is in Minnesota and Trent Cole is in Phily (but he's not a great captain). You're right that the team has no one else to cut as the big names have been cut or are FAs. The Colts could cut Vinateri. Adam is scheduled to make 4M big ones next year, but I think you need to keep a kicker like him. Freeney is the last big name on the chopping block.

Irsay and Grisgson = enemies

I hate them both with a passion. I can't believe they messed up this team in less than a week.

There is no excuse for what they are doing. This new GM is a joke. A horrible joke that just came in here and messed up our beloved Colts.

I hate you front office and I hate you Mr. Irsay. I wish the worst things for you.

With this said, goodbye people.

Antoine Bethea is a great player, but I don't see him as a captain, he's not that vocal. I could see a guy like Robert Mathis being a captain just like Allen is in Minnesota and Trent Cole is in Phily (but he's not a great captain). You're right that the team has no one else to cut as the big names have been cut or are FAs. The Colts could cut Vinateri. Adam is scheduled to make 4M big ones next year, but I think you need to keep a kicker like him. Freeney is the last big name on the chopping block.

Listen to anyone who has played in our secondary they have said he is the leader of the secondary. They have said that for years and when they get asked how did all those young guys in the secondary always get into poistion on defense they would say it was Bethea who got them lined up. He's a leader.

The savings from cutting Adam is only 1.5 because of his bonus. By the time you sign a new kicker (which you will have to do) or spend one of our draft picks on one you are going to end up saving next to nothing by cutting Adam. I think kicker is a poistion you can replace in a year or two when Adam is done. No need to rush that because you don't save enough to make it worth it IMO.

Irsay and Grisgson = enemies

I hate them both with a passion. I can't believe they messed up this team in less than a week.

There is no excuse for what they are doing. This new GM is a joke. A horrible joke that just came in here and messed up our beloved Colts.

I hate you front office and I hate you Mr. Irsay. I wish the worst things for you.

With this said, goodbye people.

They were messed up before he got here. He just got left with the mess and told okay fix it. As much as I love those older players you can't fix it with them. It stings I know it does but we need cap space saddly you don't save the kind of cap space we need by cutting guys like Curtis Painter. This is all the recent bad drafts and Polian always finding away to keep a player we loved finally coming back to bite us.

They were messed up before he got here. He just got left with the mess and told okay fix it. As much as I love those older players you can't fix it with them. It stings I know it does but we need cap space saddly you don't save the kind of cap space we need by cutting guys like Curtis Painter. This is all the recent bad drafts and Polian always finding away to keep a player we loved finally coming back to bite us.

nothing was messed up. We lost Manning and that's it. There is no reason to lose the whole team and all our stars. What cap space? for what? we had a good team with stars all over the place. What is the point of losing them?

cap space for who? we never had problems with salary cap. You ran Manning out of town because of money. So whats the excuse to run everyone else out of town.

man I wish I never became a Colts fan, This is horse crap

I hate Irsay and I hate Grigson. I can't stand this team.

Edited by Coltssouth
inappropriate

The guys who were cut have been injury prone the last 2 years. They will be missed in out hearts but not as much on the field.

Getting old sucks.........

almost none of them were injury prone. Stop making excuses for Edit like the owner and the GM.

Wayne is injury prone? The other guys been injured a few weeks here and there. None of them are injury prone.

Everyone in NFL gets injured.

Andrew Luck is also gonna get injured. Everyone does.

Edited by Coltssouth
Namecalling

nothing was messed up. We lost Manning and that's it. There is no reason to lose the whole team and all our stars. What cap space? for what? we had a good team with stars all over the place. What is the point of losing them?

cap space for who? we never had problems with salary cap. You ran Manning out of town because of money. So whats the excuse to run everyone else out of town.

man I wish I never became a Colts fan, This is horse crap

I hate Irsay and I hate Grigson. I can't stand this stupid team.

No this was a team that clearly had a lack of talent which is why when Manning went down we couldn't win. There were games this past season where Painter and Orlovsky played well and we still lost. We had more issues than just QB. This was an older team whose window finally closed.

Wow, I'm so glad I am not the only one who thinks this was the right thing to do. I know people are sad about it but I have seen it coming.

I agree with these cuts. Bullitt and Brackett did not produce enough. Clark and Addai, both getting old and injuries. I always liked Clark. I think he was great but it is the right thing to do. I know its not the most popular opinion to have here but they are doing the right thing here.

Its great to be able to keep players we all know and love but that does not equal a championship caliber team. With Peyton they could keep all these people and we would go to the playoffs every year and usually be one and done. We would always have a good season but always cut short. I am not happy at all with losing Peyton, I am as sad about that as anyone else.

This is a hard time for Colts Nation but give it a couple years and they will get the pieces in place. They know what they are doing. Besides Peyton, I agree with all the moves.

Wow, I'm so glad I am not the only one who thinks this was the right thing to do. I know people are sad about it but I have seen it coming.

I agree with these cuts. Bullitt and Brackett did not produce enough. Clark and Addai, both getting old and injuries. I always liked Clark. I think he was great but it is the right thing to do. I know its not the most popular opinion to have here but they are doing the right thing here.

Its great to be able to keep players we all know and love but that does not equal a championship caliber team. With Peyton they could keep all these people and we would go to the playoffs every year and usually be one and done. We would always have a good season but always cut short. I am not happy at all with losing Peyton, I am as sad about that as anyone else.

This is a hard time for Colts Nation but give it a couple years and they will get the pieces in place. They know what they are doing. Besides Peyton, I agree with all the moves.

I am sure Peyton knew that these moves would be done as part of the rebuilding effort.

I am sure Peyton also knows that if he stayed with the Colts, he would not be in a position to win a SB within the time he had left before he retired.

Hence, it was the right mutual and joint decision for Peyton and the Colts to part their separate ways.

It's hard I know it really is but this was the right thing to do. This team is not going to the playoffs next year or anytime in the near future so freeing up the cap space so we will have money to spend is 100% the right thing to do. With that said saying good bye to people's favorite players (and in some cases the only players some fans have ever known) is never easy. That's why I keep telling the Harbaugh story. i've watched this team give away my favorite player before (and now that Clark is gone I've seen it happen twice) it's not fun but if you stck with the team it's what makes things like that Super Bowl run in 2006 so special when they happen. Things will get better and this too shall pass.

Everyone should try and realize that a rebuilding does not happen overnight. It is going to take time. A new defense, new rookie qb. New people everywhere. That stuff takes time. I realize change is hard but it needed to happen. I know a lot of people are upset and I understand all the things happening at once is hard. I think true fans will still be here through all this and we will see another great team emerge. This is a true rebuild, give it 2-3 years everyone. Support our team and its leaders and have faith in them and know they are doing what is best for the franchise.

I am sure Peyton knew that these moves would be done as part of the rebuilding effort.

I am sure Peyton also knows that if he stayed with the Colts, he would not be in a position to win a SB within the time he had left before he retired.

Hence, it was the right mutual and joint decision for Peyton and the Colts to part their separate ways.

I agree with you on that 100%. I am still sad to lose him, it's hard not to be. I want him to get a chance at another SB though, he deserves that and I understand it.

It's hard I know it really is but this was the right thing to do. This team is not going to the playoffs next year or anytime in the near future so freeing up the cap space so we will have money to spend is 100% the right thing to do. With that said saying good bye to people's favorite players (and in some cases the only players some fans have ever known) is never easy. That's why I keep telling the Harbaugh story. i've watched this team give away my favorite player before (and now that Clark is gone I've seen it happen twice) it's not fun but if you stck with the team it's what makes things like that Super Bowl run in 2006 so special when they happen. Things will get better and this too shall pass.

I agree with you. I am sad about Peyton. I saw the rest coming and even commented on direct about some of these things needing to happen. Did not get many fovorable responses about it there. Many disagreed with me but I guess I was right now that this is all happening. I think it could actually be fun to watch a team rebuild and grow into something great. I'm trying to look at it in a positive light. Maybe we will win SB's eventually and no more one and done every year.

Cutting Clark was still a mistake. People just have too much faith in Tamme and I feel it is misplaced. The stats are misleading. I hope I am wrong but Tamme is not the same caliber as Clark. When you use him for a lot of snaps as a starter, people will start realizing that. Till then, let everyone and their mother & father glorify this cut.

Addai, yes, it was a money thing but then, when healthy, he does not fumble, blitz blocks at an elite level, and like any RB, give him a lane and he will get you the necessary yards, and he catches well too. Yep, he is injured more often - so why not restructure? Same thing with Clark - why not restructure?

I have seen Bullitt taking bad angles consistently, I have seen Brackett getting washed out even in his prime vs TEs and OLs, and I agree with both of those and I think we have enough people not paid as much to miss tackles and take bad angles, so I am perfectly fine with those cuts.

Painter, that was too obvious a cut not to happen. It would have surprised me if it did not happen :).

Nope, I dont think this season is down the toilet or anything. I am just here to argue that both Addai and Clark still had some value we could have tapped into for a rookie QB.