Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

So Who Haven't We Cut Yet?

PatMcAfeeFan

Everyone should try and realize that a rebuilding does not happen overnight. It is going to take time. A new defense, new rookie qb. New people everywhere. That stuff takes time. I realize change is hard but it needed to happen. I know a lot of people are upset and I understand all the things happening at once is hard. I think true fans will still be here through all this and we will see another great team emerge. This is a true rebuild, give it 2-3 years everyone. Support our team and its leaders and have faith in them and know they are doing what is best for the franchise.

I love Pagano. I mean I think he's going to be a great coach in the NFL if given the time to grow into the job and it sounds like Irsay is on board with giving him time.

I think some Colts are finally going to get their wish and we are going to have a really good defense when this is all said in done. I also think we are going to have a really good QB to go with it.

I bought Luck years ago because I watched him at Standford because of Harbaugh and have just been a big fan of Luck. So much of what he does and sees reminds me of Manning but even more athletic than Manning. Also for those questioning his arm strength remember people questioned Peyton's coming out of college too. How did that work out? It's not always about having he best arm sometimes it's about knowing how to use it.

As for Pagano I watched him during the playoffs and thought I think in a couple of a years he'll be next the Ravens DC to leave to be a good HC some place. When we hired me wow he sold me in the presser. He just sonds like a guy I want coaching my football team as silly as that might sound. I think he's going to turn our defense into something like the Ravens and if that happens and we have a star QB to go with it it's very realistic to think we could surpass some of the Manning Colts team records down the road.

The only guy I am not crazy about going forward is Grigson and that could just be he isn't good at handling the media. I know all the NFL people I hear talk about him say he's great and people around NFL teas tell them Grigson is going to be a great GM once he grows into the job. I am willing to give Grigson a chance I am just not buying him completely yet but I do support him.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

nothing was messed up. We lost Manning and that's it. There is no reason to lose the whole team and all our stars. What cap space? for what? we had a good team with stars all over the place. What is the point of losing them?

cap space for who? we never had problems with salary cap. You ran Manning out of town because of money. So whats the excuse to run everyone else out of town.

man I wish I never became a Colts fan, This is horse crap

I hate Irsay and I hate Grigson. I can't stand this stupid team.

Take a deep breath. They decided to rebuild, and everything follows from that. Manning was NOT "run out of town" because of money. Considering the direction of the team, it was the kindest thing they could have done for him. I'm more enthusiastic about his prospects next year than I am about the Colts, and fully expect to still be able to follow a team that's trying to win it all. The Colts are just going to have to plug away in the background for awhile. It happens to EVERY great team eventually.

A) They evaluated the roster and decided that there were too many holes to compete for the championship. If you can't compete for the championship, than what is the point? Time to make changes, and Andrew Luck is sitting there waiting.

B) Once you commit to taking Luck, what is the point of keeping Peyton Manning? He'd help your aging, injury prone, overpaid, and declining roster win a few more games than they would otherwise, but that's just sad after where he's been the rest of his career. And he'd cripple your salary cap in the process. And who knows for sure if he'd even be "himself". And every snap he played (with little chance of getting to the Super Bowl), would be one more snap wasted that Luck could have been taking. He needs to play in order to develop.

C) And once you commit to releasing Peyton Manning, what's the point of keeping the rest of the aging, injury prone, overpaid, and declining players. 30 year olds don't want to babysit a 22 year old QB, they want to win. And Bracket was essentially replaced by Angerer last year (and probably won't make a good ILB in the 3-4), and Clark is slipping badly, and Adaii is just taking carries from Carter and Brown, and Bullit has barely played in two years. All of these guys would be taking roster spots and playing time away from younger cheaper talent that needs to be on the field. By the time Luck is ready to win, they will all be ready to retire, so what is the point of keeping them? Even if they could win the team a few more games next year than their replacements, that only means getting a lower draft pick, not a chance at the super bowl.

In short, this is painful, but it's the right thing to do. If you are going to rebuild, rebuild all the way. I'd be more upset if they were just picking away at the edges trying not too hurt anyone's feelings. That just gets you a lot of 8-8 seasons, and more years spent rebuilding.

Just relax and accept the fact that 2003-2009 is done. But this won't be like the 80's or 90's either. This should be like 1974 or 1998 - not a lot of wins, but lots of potential. If memory serves, those were pretty fun years too. And you need years like that to truly appreciate it when you start winning again.

Take a deep breath. They decided to rebuild, and everything follows from that. Manning was NOT "run out of town" because of money. Considering the direction of the team, it was the kindest thing they could have done for him. I'm more enthusiastic about his prospects next year than I am about the Colts, and fully expect to still be able to follow a team that's trying to win it all. The Colts are just going to have to plug away in the background for awhile. It happens to EVERY great team eventually.

A) They evaluated the roster and decided that there were too many holes to compete for the championship. If you can't compete for the championship, than what is the point? Time to make changes, and Andrew Luck is sitting there waiting.

B) Once you commit to taking Luck, what is the point of keeping Peyton Manning? He'd help your aging, injury prone, overpaid, and declining roster win a few more games than they would otherwise, but that's just sad after where he's been the rest of his career. And he'd cripple your salary cap in the process. And who knows for sure if he'd even be "himself". And every snap he played (with little chance of getting to the Super Bowl), would be one more snap wasted that Luck could have been taking. He needs to play in order to develop.

C) And once you commit to releasing Peyton Manning, what's the point of keeping the rest of the aging, injury prone, overpaid, and declining players. 30 year olds don't want to babysit a 22 year old QB, they want to win. And Bracket was essentially replaced by Angerer last year (and probably won't make a good ILB in the 3-4), and Clark is slipping badly, and Adaii is just taking carries from Carter and Brown, and Bullit has barely played in two years. All of these guys would be taking roster spots and playing time away from younger cheaper talent that needs to be on the field. By the time Luck is ready to win, they will all be ready to retire, so what is the point of keeping them? Even if they could win the team a few more games next year than their replacements, that only means getting a lower draft pick, not a chance at the super bowl.

In short, this is painful, but it's the right thing to do. If you are going to rebuild, rebuild all the way. I'd be more upset if they were just picking away at the edges trying not too hurt anyone's feelings. That just gets you a lot of 8-8 seasons, and more years spent rebuilding.

Just relax and accept the fact that 2003-2009 is done. But this won't be like the 80's or 90's either. This should be like 1974 or 1998 - not a lot of wins, but lots of potential. If memory serves, those were pretty fun years too. And you need years like that to truly appreciate it when you start winning again.

I have to say. This is a great post. It does suck, but I think this will be an exciting off season and a very exciting regular season.

I love Pagano. I mean I think he's going to be a great coach in the NFL if given the time to grow into the job and it sounds like Irsay is on board with giving him time.

I think some Colts are finally going to get their wish and we are going to have a really good defense when this is all said in done. I also think we are going to have a really good QB to go with it.

I absolutelty love Pagano. I love everything he has said about the defense. He said he wanted to make it physical, tough, and exlplosive, I love that! I like that he seems to have a fire, shows some emotion. I think Jim Caldwell was just not head coach material and could not stand how he just stood there. He always seemed to wear the same expression no matter what was happening. Drove me absolutley crazy. I'm excited about Pagano. When we were waiting to see who they hired I was still on direct site. I kept saying I hope we get soneone defensive minded, never even thought of Pagano though. I was rooting for Mike Zimmer from Cincy.

I absolutelty love Pagano. I love everything he has said about the defense. He said he wanted to make it physical, tough, and exlplosive, I love that! I like that he seems to have a fire, shows some emotion. I think Jim Caldwell was just not head coach material and could not stand how he just stood there. He always seemed to wear the same expression no matter what was happening. Drove me absolutley crazy. I'm excited about Pagano. When we were waiting to see who they hired I was still on direct site. I kept saying I hope we get soneone defensive minded, never even thought of Pagano though. I was rooting for Mike Zimmer from Cincy.

Yep Zimmer was my first choice as well but Pagano was my number two pick. I always thought Caldwell was just an average coach and that was all he was ever going to be and I did think think he was growing into the job just as I think Pagano is going to grow into his job as well. With that said I think Pagano could end up being one of the better coaches in the NFL once he does. I can't explain it or put my fnger on it but something about Pagano just screams "it" factor to me. I could be completely wrong though I don't thnk I am though.

the main fact of the matter is this..last year..the colts basically showed everyone that without peyton manning they had no identity..then out of desperateness the colts finally won two games..which in the end didnt really matter. the point is..that with the manning blanket over the colts..there was really no reason for the polians to worry even when they brought in mummble jummble players to fill the void.however once the curtain was lifted, the whole word witness why the colts will never be as good of a team if it werent for manning. that being said, this new GM and new head coach..i am truly thankful to them for what they are doing..because i believe the time has come for the colts to grow from being a toddler team ..into a team that can be as elite as the patriots, saints, and packers..and instead of a one demision..they will be complete. and to all of the band wagon folk who dont even know what there talking about. you just watch our team in the years to come. youll wish you hadnt insulted the colts then.

Yep Zimmer was my first choice as well but Pagano was my number two pick. I always thought Caldwell was just an average coach and that was all he was ever going to be and I did think think he was growing into the job just as I think Pagano is going to grow into his job as well. With that said I think Pagano could end up being one of the better coaches in the NFL once he does. I can't explain it or put my fnger on it but something about Pagano just screams "it" factor to me. I could be completely wrong though I don't thnk I am though.

Thats funny, I feel the same way. I don't know why but I just think he is going to be awesome. As you said its just something about him, I don't know. I love everything he says though, its like he reads my mind, haha.

the main fact of the matter is this..last year..the colts basically showed everyone that without peyton manning they had no identity..then out of desperateness the colts finally won two games..which in the end didnt really matter. the point is..that with the manning blanket over the colts..there was really no reason for the polians to worry even when they brought in mummble jummble players to fill the void.however once the curtain was lifted, the whole word witness why the colts will never be as good of a team if it werent for manning. that being said, this new GM and new head coach..i am truly thankful to them for what they are doing..because i believe the time has come for the colts to grow from being a toddler team ..into a team that can be as elite as the patriots, saints, and packers..and instead of a one demision..they will be complete. and to all of the band wagon folk who dont even know what there talking about. you just watch our team in the years to come. youll wish you hadnt insulted the colts then.

Manning makes everyone around him look better then what they really are. He is amazing. The Polians should have been more prepared for something like this. Even with Peyton playing making things look good , I always said if we lost him our team would be terrible. It was always there to see and I guess they just chose to be blind to it.

Manning makes everyone around him look better then what they really are. He is amazing. The Polians should have been more prepared for something like this. Even with Peyton playing making things look good , I always said if we lost him our team would be terrible. It was always there to see and I guess they just chose to be blind to it.

I think the Polians always understand no back up QB could do what Manning could do so at best they were going to be a band aide. The problem was that the team had gotten to a point that even with Manning they probably were no longer a contender.

Posted · Hidden by Peytongirl, March 10, 2012 - duplicate of post in another thread
Hidden by Peytongirl, March 10, 2012 - duplicate of post in another thread

Hmm - so if the Colts did not end up with the top pick, would any of this have happened? Irsay signed Manning to a 5 yr deal just a year and a half ago. He knew that there was a salary cap. So, if we didn't get the top draft pick and Manning came back, would we have still cut all of these players. We were 14-0 just 2 years ago and in the Super Bowl. I don't believe talent drops off that quickly.

Also, just because you have draft picks and young players does not make you a winning team. We will need to have incredible draft picks like Polian did in order to build a great team. Remember that in the Manning era, we had these first round draft picks: Marvin Harrison, Tarik Glenn, Edgerrin James, Reggie Wayne, Dwight Freeney, Bob Sanders, Dallas Clark, Joseph Addai. So, sure we can rebuild with Luck, but we're going to need great draft picks to avoid being Cleveland and Detroit (remember Detroit was bad for many, many years prior to last year). We just got rid of Polian, so our new GM/scouts better be very good.

If we lose Freeney, as great as Mathis is, Mathis' effectiveness drops without Freeney on the other side. And, then our defense goes from bad to really bad. I'm excited to watch Luck, but with a receving corps of Collie, Blair White, Jacob Tamme, cmon, that is a joke compared to Wayne, Garcon, Collie, and Clark.

This is a trying time for Colts fans, but like or hate it, these moves will help define a new Colts era. A lot of these notable players we're cutting are our beloved old-reliables, but they are older veterans and not part of the new rebuilding plan.

number28 - these players being released aren't necessarily considered unwanted or unproductive (well, Painter is, but that's an exception), but they're older and a liability with the amount of salary they carry. We need a younger crew that we can carry around for years to go with the new Andrew Luck era.

At this point with the amount of players being released, the more we release now, the easier it will be going forward. Expect a poor season for the next year (or two/three), but we should hopefully have a very solid team in 3 or so years once we have the new talent and some experience playing together as a team.

Hmm - so if the Colts did not end up with the top pick, would any of this have happened? Irsay signed Manning to a 5 yr deal just a year and a half ago. He knew that there was a salary cap. So, if we didn't get the top draft pick and Manning came back, would we have still cut all of these players. We were 14-0 just 2 years ago and in the Super Bowl. I don't believe talent drops off that quickly.

If we didn't have a high draft pick where we could get Manning's eventual replacement, no I don't think this would have happened. For one thing, we wouldn't have the opportunity to get that new replacement (and that salary that would go against us).

Second, a better record would indicate that our team's performance was not as bad as a 2-14 team and not shown as many issues as ours did this past season (which ultimately was the big wakeup call that Irsay saw this year).

I think the Polians always understand no back up QB could do what Manning could do so at best they were going to be a band aide. The problem was that the team had gotten to a point that even with Manning they probably were no longer a contender.

Good point! No one could do what he did. I think if Tom Brady had to work with what Peyton had he would not have all those rings. One reason why I say Peyton in the GOAT.

i cant wait to find out who are next running back is gonna be..because replaceing addai will be one tough cookie..

Brown and Carter.

Brown finally showed flashes of being a number one back last year the Colts will give him that shot this year. The plan was to let Addai walk last year but Brown hadn't proved enough that they felt good about that so they brought him back. Now that Brown has I think it makes sense. Also Addai I think was just a Manning guy. With no more Manning I don't know if the Colts need a RB whose biggest strengths are in the passing game.

i cant wait to find out who are next running back is gonna be..because replaceing addai will be one tough cookie..

Addai was average at best, and getting old. I am not worried about RB position at all. Plus many other positions that need more attention right now. Brown and Carter will be fine for now I think. Not great but fine, eventually we will need to get a RB though.

Irsay and Grisgson = enemies

I hate them both with a passion. I can't believe they messed up this team in less than a week.

There is no excuse for what they are doing. This new GM is a joke. A horrible joke that just came in here and messed up our beloved Colts.

I hate you front office and I hate you Mr. Irsay. I wish the worst things for you.

With this said, goodbye people.

Are you not even going to give him at least a few years to prove if he is a good or bad GM?

Brown and Carter.

Brown finally showed flashes of being a number one back last year the Colts will give him that shot this year. The plan was to let Addai walk last year but Brown hadn't proved enough that they felt good about that so they brought him back. Now that Brown has I think it makes sense. Also Addai I think was just a Manning guy. With no more Manning I don't know if the Colts need a RB whose biggest strengths are in the passing game.

If Brown can show it this year then I am happy with him. I think this is his year to prove himself.

Addai was average at best, and getting old. I am not worried about RB position at all. Plus many other positions that need more attention right now. Brown and Carter will be fine for now I think. Not great but fine, eventually we will need to get a RB though.

we should be fine at rb for a while. I think brown and carter will be a nice random for a while in this new era an it's no like we need to a Adrian Peterson of RB.

we should be fine at rb for a while. I think brown and carter will be a nice random for a while in this new era an it's no like we need to a Adrian Peterson of RB.

Yeah Adrian Peterson is a freakin beast! ha! Would be pretty awesome. Yeah thats why I said eventually though, wait and see if Brown proves himself and Carter to not fumble.

I like Addai, but we've survived without him for multiple games, and he's pretty easy to tackle once you get a hand on him given how small he is. Remember when we lost Marshall Faulk, and then when we lost Edge? Both were very productive players, but we managed to find good replacements eventually.

Irsay and Grisgson = enemies

I hate them both with a passion. I can't believe they messed up this team in less than a week.

There is no excuse for what they are doing. This new GM is a joke. A horrible joke that just came in here and messed up our beloved Colts.

I hate you front office and I hate you Mr. Irsay. I wish the worst things for you.

With this said, goodbye people.

If you are looking for an enemy. Blame Chris Polian. He single-handedly created this mess. Think about it, had he drafted well don't you think Manning would still be around because if a backup QB had won 6 games we wouldn't even be talking about blowing up and starting over.

If you are looking for an enemy. Blame Chris Polian. He single-handedly created this mess. Think about it, had he drafted well don't you think Manning would still be around because if a backup QB had won 6 games we wouldn't even be talking about blowing up and starting over.

Well Curtis Painter helped just a little bit...

I would even go as far to say Addai was horrible. He bounced out sideways and always lost a yard EVERY dang play. He was versatile enough to catch a pass from Manning and block, but besides that, he wasn't that great.

I would even go as far to say Addai was horrible. He bounced out sideways and always lost a yard EVERY dang play. He was versatile enough to catch a pass from Manning and block, but besides that, he wasn't that great.

Yes, I agree. I was trying to be nice I guess but I never thought he was that great either.

marshall faulk and edge were probably the only best choices made by the polians..ever

Really Peyton Manning wasn't a good choice?

Trading back not once but twice and getting Reggie Wayne wasn't a good choice?

Garcon hasn't been a steal for a sixth round pick?

Dallas Clark wasn't a good pick?

Wasn't Joseph Addai a key part to a Super Bowl WIN?

Didn't Bill Polian find Jeff Saturday and Gary Brackett as undrafted free agents?

Snagging Brock when the Eagles ran out of money to sign draft picks wasn't heads up?

Finding Mathis as a fifth round pick wasn't a good pick?

Reachng on Freeney and Angerer weren't good picks?

Bethea wasn't a steal for a sixth round pick?

Sure he's questionable picks but to say Edge and Faulk (who wasn't Polian's pick) were his only good picks is not true.

Didn't Bill Polian find Jeff Saturday and Gary Brackett as undrafted free agents?

Snagging Brock when the Eagles ran out of money to sign draft picks wasn't heads up?

Sure he's questionable picks but to say Edge and Faulk (who wasn't Polian's pick) were his only good picks is not true.

I tried to like this but it said I reached my quota for the day lol. Glad you posted this though, now I don't have to.

oh i was merely talking about there choice at running back after the edge era..

If everyone hasnt figured out yet, we are already deep into the rebuilding process. The most recent team that has shown a nice few rebuiding years are the seahawks. They cut over 80% of their veterans and brought in a ton of free agents and young players. This youth is what has helped them. This is what the colts are trying to do. Get rid of the old guys who only have a few years left and sign younger players. This equals less of a cap hit. The seahawks did this very efficiently. They kept the fans in it. Why? They kept talent around signed "cheap" talented players and with the money left from the veterans they cut were able to sign a few bigger name players. This allowed the team to compete. Unlike we were able to last year. Its going to be a tough few years but its the start of new era. I feel the front office will be able to do a quality job of this. I am staying true blue!

If Brown can show it this year then I am happy with him. I think this is his year to prove himself.

I thought that he proved himself last year. The RBs are fine, they just need to finish rebuilding the offense line, get some wide receivers, and develop a QB (the last two items seeming pretty ironic considering where we've been).

If you want to blame someone for the sucktitude this year, blame Chris Polian.

Off-Season Priorities -

- Draft/sign Andrew Luck

- Re-sign Jacob Tamme

- Trade Freeney IF the value is right, not just to do it.

- Go after a YOUNG free agent that will be around for a while, not a filler.

- Start a support group for season ticket holders that watch the value of tickets plummet through 2013.