Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reece Fountain elevated to the 53-man roster from practice squad

MTC

13 hours ago, pgt_rob said:

Dude, how many times have we re-signed and released Phillip Walker? Is it some sort of voodoo ritual that Ballard does to make sure we get a win on Sunday? lol.

One of the Indy reports last week said that he doesn’t clean out his locker anymore when he gets dropped for the PS. Lol they were being serious.

2 hours ago, bravo4460 said:

One of the Indy reports last week said that he doesn’t clean out his locker anymore when he gets dropped for the PS. Lol they were being serious.

One of these days he is going to get signed to someone else’s PS and he will accidentally show up at colts campus because it’s habit lol. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MTC said:

I hope he gets some PT, I'd really like to see what he can do.  A lot of people here have fallen in love with the 'idea' of Cain but I'm not sure it's a reality, that guys is turning into a cult figure somehow.  Fountain was picked well ahead of Cain for a reason and I think we all agree Ballard can identify talent.  This guy has flashed at practice which is a good sign.  My take is he had to learn how to run routes and understand the complexities of the NFL.  Not everyone adapts as Darius did, so I'm hopeful this kid can be what Ballard thought when he picked him, the WR corps could sure use a boost!

I'm not optimistic.  He was this years Zach Banner.  He failed to make the 53 man squad, and passed clean through the waiver wire. Despite getting a little more consideration -

“Yeah, at some level it would be unrealistic to say that draft choices don’t get a little consideration. I mean, that’s just the way it is in this league. I will say this, that in talking with Chris (Ballard) here, we weigh production of the field for rookies probably more than most teams and draft status isn’t an automatic shoe-in in this organization,” Reich said. “You’ve got to earn it.”

Evidently, he did not. Eventually signed to the P.S.  With a WR corps plagued by miscues, drops, and injury and he hadn't even been called up, until now.  So I don't know what is up there. His measurable stats were off the charts, (like a 4.46 forty, 11'2" broad, and 42'6" vertical). I hope for the best but I just do not expect much, maybe a decent special teamer.  We'll see.

• Like 1

This is a bit like the old "the most popular guy on the team is the backup quarterback" thing, except we have Andrew Luck. For Colts fans, the most popular guy on the roster is whichever practice squad wide receiver is the Flavor of the Month. The reality is that he's just one dropped pass from being a bum, and the guy everyone wants to cut.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Rally5 said:

I hope he gets some PT, I'd really like to see what he can do.  A lot of people here have fallen in love with the 'idea' of Cain but I'm not sure it's a reality, that guys is turning into a cult figure somehow.  Fountain was picked well ahead of Cain for a reason and I think we all agree Ballard can identify talent.  This guy has flashed at practice which is a good sign.  My take is he had to learn how to run routes and understand the complexities of the NFL.  Not everyone adapts as Darius did, so I'm hopeful this kid can be what Ballard thought when he picked him, the WR corps could sure use a boost!

The reason was character issues. Cain is def more polished than fountain.  Foutain is more athletic. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Black0ut117 said:

So I looked on Sunday and saw that he was active but did he make any meaningful contributions to the game yesterday?

I couldn't watch the game wasn't on local tv. Box score showed 0 targets or catches. Was interested to see what he could do. Maybe next week! 

3 hours ago, Black0ut117 said:

So I looked on Sunday and saw that he was active but did he make any meaningful contributions to the game yesterday?

he only played on special teams and for some reason the kneel downs at the end

i got this from 1070 the fan 

A little info from before last years draft:

Fountain was a four-year contributor for the Panthers coming out of Wisconsin, where he was an All-State pick and the Wisconsin State Journal's Male Athlete of the Year for the Madison area as a senior. He played in all 14 games as a reserve in 2014 (10-117, one touchdown). Fountain led the team in receiving as a sophomore (41-604, five touchdowns) for the first of three straight seasons after starting 13 of 14 games played. In 2016, he started all 11 games, catching 33 passes for 413 yards and five scores. Fountain's offense used him to a tee as a senior, allowing him to snare 66 throws for 943 yards and 12 touchdowns and earn first-team All-Missouri Valley Football Conference honors.

One-year wonder with the requisite height, weight, and speed numbers to interest teams looking for a plus athlete to develop. While Fountain should test well, his route running and ball skills aren't where they need to be and the jump in competition will make that transition challenging. However, Fountain's strong showing at the Shrine Game practices likely increased the number of teams who will target him on Day 3.

Strengths

Explosive athlete

State champion hurdler and long jumper in high school

Crosses up slot corners with effective outside-in release

Accelerates quickly leaving defenders playing catch up

Plays with a bounding energy in space

Pushes hard up the field to set up stop routes

After separating on vertical routes, uses clever off-hand push when ball comes out to keep the window as wide as possible

Shows off explosive leaping ability when climbing the ladder on jump balls

Mid-air adjustments come easily

Flashed physical ability to make acrobatic finishes

Always knows where the first down marker is

Capable playmaker after the catch

Weaknesses

Had games where he just disappeared

Level of cornerback play in his conference was subpar

Needs to improve release angle against press to survive in NFL

Relies on explosiveness over technique as route-runner

Looks like a step-counter

Needs excessive settle steps to stop and open on some intermediate routes

Ball skills are below average

Picks the deep ball up too late and struggles to win 50/50 balls due to mistimed leaps

Has unorthodox running style with feet swinging way outside of his frame when turning in space

Prospect Grade

NFL Backup or Special Teams Potential

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/daurice-fountain?id=32462018-0002-5599-2117-e58ea472cb97

• Thanks 1

On 12/8/2018 at 4:27 PM, krunk said:

What I'm hoping here is Fountain goes out there and shows out.  Then maybe we'll get rid of Pascal.  I'd really like to see us be able to make more use of Fountain and Ishmael to be honest. 

I thought Pascal looked good Sunday. That route he ran on the TD was A++ 

1 hour ago, Myles said:

A little info from before last years draft:

Fountain was a four-year contributor for the Panthers coming out of Wisconsin, where he was an All-State pick and the Wisconsin State Journal's Male Athlete of the Year for the Madison area as a senior. He played in all 14 games as a reserve in 2014 (10-117, one touchdown). Fountain led the team in receiving as a sophomore (41-604, five touchdowns) for the first of three straight seasons after starting 13 of 14 games played. In 2016, he started all 11 games, catching 33 passes for 413 yards and five scores. Fountain's offense used him to a tee as a senior, allowing him to snare 66 throws for 943 yards and 12 touchdowns and earn first-team All-Missouri Valley Football Conference honors.

One-year wonder with the requisite height, weight, and speed numbers to interest teams looking for a plus athlete to develop. While Fountain should test well, his route running and ball skills aren't where they need to be and the jump in competition will make that transition challenging. However, Fountain's strong showing at the Shrine Game practices likely increased the number of teams who will target him on Day 3.

Strengths

Explosive athlete

State champion hurdler and long jumper in high school

Crosses up slot corners with effective outside-in release

Accelerates quickly leaving defenders playing catch up

Plays with a bounding energy in space

Pushes hard up the field to set up stop routes

After separating on vertical routes, uses clever off-hand push when ball comes out to keep the window as wide as possible

Shows off explosive leaping ability when climbing the ladder on jump balls

Mid-air adjustments come easily

Flashed physical ability to make acrobatic finishes

Always knows where the first down marker is

Capable playmaker after the catch

Weaknesses

Had games where he just disappeared

Level of cornerback play in his conference was subpar

Needs to improve release angle against press to survive in NFL

Relies on explosiveness over technique as route-runner

Looks like a step-counter

Needs excessive settle steps to stop and open on some intermediate routes

Ball skills are below average

Picks the deep ball up too late and struggles to win 50/50 balls due to mistimed leaps

Has unorthodox running style with feet swinging way outside of his frame when turning in space

Prospect Grade

NFL Backup or Special Teams Potential

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/daurice-fountain?id=32462018-0002-5599-2117-e58ea472cb97

After reading this, it makes me wonder why we would have taken in this much of a project in round 5? Ball skills being one huge issue and playing in a conference with inferior corner play. Is he a Da’Rick Rogers kind of player? Maybe those ball skills he lacks is something wry teachable, idk as I think you either have that or you don’t. I sure hope he pans out but I’m now a little Leary after reading this and knowing he took forever to get up to the nfl team after once being cut and sent to the PS because nobody else thought he was worth a gamble as a 5th rounder. Let’s hope CB seen something he knows he can develop. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jdubu said:

After reading this, it makes me wonder why we would have taken in this much of a project in round 5? Ball skills being one huge issue and playing in a conference with inferior corner play. Is he a Da’Rick Rogers kind of player? Maybe those ball skills he lacks is something wry teachable, idk as I think you either have that or you don’t. I sure hope he pans out but I’m now a little Leary after reading this and knowing he took forever to get up to the nfl team after once being cut and sent to the PS because nobody else thought he was worth a gamble as a 5th rounder. Let’s hope CB seen something he knows he can develop. 

Ballard must have seen something.   

2 hours ago, Jdubu said:

You are approaching this wrong in multiple ways.

First of all in the 5th round about all that is available is project players and guys who are pretty athletically limited so as they won't amount to much NFL wise.

As far as other people thinking he's worth the gamble.  From what I've heard when it gets this late in the draft this is where individual scouts start to fall in love with a "value pick" and try to convince their GM to get their guy.  If that guy pans out as a value pick (say next year Fountain puts up 1,200 yards and 8 TD's) than the scout that recommended him is likely someone who's going to be looked at for more important assignments, promotions, etc etc.

So basically the day 1 and 2 of everyone's draft boards are going to have nearly all the same guys in it, Day 3 draft boards are going to look very different because it becomes all about if someone within the organization noticed the kid and felt like they could make them into something that will help the team out.  

Ultimately he is a project player like a lot of players that get drafted in the 5th round.  Most of them probably 90+% of them don't make a big impact on the NFL.  

• Like 1