Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Breaking down Pats v Colts..

JimJaime

On 10/1/2018 at 9:39 AM, GoColts00 said:

I honestly believe they hack the playcall signal. That would be why Peyton had 3 plays called out to him and he would pick 1 in the huddle.

That may have happened at some point, but I know Peyton had ability to call plays based upon defense pre snap alignment.  The via Moore and Arians, the playbook was given to him.  But after a time, teams would shift and change D, then line up.  Peyton would then adjust the play call. But then teams began, with about 8 or 9 seconds left, they would shift defense again leaving Peyton no time to make an audible change.  That's when Peyton's 'code words came about.  Howard Mudd and Tom Moore had came up with a one word code(s) that Peyton could use to change the play and even set protections.

That eventually led to the famous "Omaha!"   {which meant something different each week} and also funny pun videos-

• Like 1

On 10/1/2018 at 9:40 AM, Reality Check said:

Here is a simpler analysis....

1) Look at Patriot's performances at home this year (vs. Houston/Watson & Miami/Tanneyhill)

2) Look at Patriot's performance on the road this year (vs Jax /Bortles & Detroit/Stafford)

It is this simple...  Pats cheat at home.  No chance for Indy on Thursday night.

Tuff to sneak those cameras into visited away stadiums.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2018 at 4:03 AM, JimJaime said:

Colts O line v Pats D line:

IMO neither is very impressive, but the Pats D line is healthy and more talented. (Slight edge NE)

Colts WR/TE v Pats Secondary:  Pats secondary is their strength. (Looks worse because the front 7 usually fail get pressure) Also sounds like the Colts WR are injured. (Did I read TY isn’t playing?) edge: NE

PATS O line v Colts dline:  I have not seen many Colts game outside of highlights.. but I know the Pats Oline is like Jekyll and Hyde.. edge Colts

pats WR/te V Colts Secondary: this all depends if Gronk can play or not. But Edelman is back and Gordon looks good hmm edge: (Rose Pats colored glasses in) Pats

prediction: itsnow October and this is in the Razor:  Pats 42 Colts 24... the big difference the Pats are able run the ball with Michel who gets over 100 yards and 2 TDs

Hey Jim - haven't seen you around here much.  No reason to be here I guess :)

My analysis would be a little more simple.  Pats have found their game, like they usually do.  Colts are still searching.  I hope we are competitive and make it a good game, playing for 4 quarters.  If you hang around you never know what can happen.

Be nice if the Pats win this game and go to 3-2.  The Pats do have the advantage of being home on a Thursday night game and have a few play makers on offense now. 

Should be an interesting game.  Odds are in my opinion Pats should win but the Pats have really only had one good game this year and it was this past Sunday, so anything can happen tomorrow night.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Yehoodi said:

Be nice if the Pats win this game and go to 3-2.  The Pats do have the advantage of being home on a Thursday night game and have a few play makers on offense now. 

Should be an interesting game.  Odds are in my opinion Pats should win but the Pats have really only had one good game this year and it was this past Sunday, so anything can happen tomorrow night.  

I hate to say it but Pats will win, I have 30-23 Pats. They are just better. I predicted the Pats would smoke Miami and nailed it.

• Like 1

I would pick the Pats, but it wouldn't shock me if the Colts won.  The Pats aren't all that while the Colts are close to putting it together.  Injuries, though.  

At the very least we shouldn't get Chucked - outcoached by a ridiculous margin.

If the Yankees win tonight, no one in Boston will care about this game.

1 hour ago, Yehoodi said:

Even before you count all the Colts injuries, there's the fact Colts are (I believe) 0-5 last games at the Razor, and road teams are 0-3 on Thursday night.  There's more but suffice to say but not much indicates a Colt victory. Pats 3-2, Colts 1-4.  I just hope it is not a 40 or 50 burger slapped on us...

• Like 1

On 10/1/2018 at 11:35 AM, Reality Check said:

When fans make comments like this, it makes me believe that he Patriots are in their heads.

Who really believes that a regular season game should even be mentioned in the same sentence as winning a SB?

I understand what you're saying. But it is what it is with the history we've had with them.  Winning this game tomorrow would be a big step in lifting the moral and confidence of our team and fanbase.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I hate to say it but Pats will win, I have 30-23 Pats. They are just better. I predicted the Pats would smoke Miami and nailed it.

I see Hilton is out, so that should make it tougher on the Colts.  I was kind of surprised that the Pats would smoke Miami, especially after how they played against the Lions.

The Pats and BB seemed to have Luck's number, at least early in his career.  We will see what happens tomorrow night. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Yehoodi said:

I see Hilton is out, so that should make it tougher on the Colts.  I was kind of surprised that the Pats would smoke Miami, especially after how they played against the Lions.

The Pats and BB seemed to have Luck's number, at least early in his career.  We will see what happens tomorrow night. 

Maybe we'll have BB and Pats number this time..  :)

Good to see you!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Even before you count all the Colts injuries, there's the fact Colts are (I believe) 0-5 last games at the Razor, and road teams are 0-3 on Thursday night.  There's more but suffice to say but not much indicates a Colt victory. Pats 3-2, Colts 1-4.  I just hope it is not a 40 or 50 burger slapped on us...

Yah i was just looking at Hilton being out and a few more guys.  TNF is tough on the road team and also Luck's Colts have struggled in Foxboro, i do like our chances, but anything can happen. 

I still got that Detroit loss in my head. 

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It sucks being 1-3 but we are so close to being 4-0. Football is a game of inches and we just can't close. I think tomorrow we will hang tough but winning will take a miracle, no TY either.

Yes it is a bummer that you guys are so close to being 4-0.  I have not really followed the colts as much, but i heard that you guys have been leading in 3 or all of your games in the 4th qtr.

The good news is that you have been close and just need those play or two, to get you over the hump and you can start to post Ws.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yehoodi said:

Yes it is a bummer that you guys are so close to being 4-0.  I have not really followed the colts as much, but i heard that you guys have been leading in 3 or all of your games in the 4th qtr.

The good news is that you have been close and just need those play or two, to get you over the hump and you can start to post Ws.  

It's the turnovers that has killed us. Cut those down and I think the wins will come. The defense has played better than they have in a while.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

It's the turnovers that has killed us. Cut those down and I think the wins will come. The defense has played better than they have in a while.

Turnovers .... yes.

But 4th quarter defensive penalties, ESPECIALLY on 3rd down, has beat us late in games.  Usually on the "game -losing" drive by their offense.. (game-losing for us)

We have been killed by ill-timed penalties.

We are a beat-up and TIRED team after that physical divisional game.  There is usually an emotional dip after a game and loss like that.

I have hope, but obviously expect the loss.  I will be happy (and impressed) if the team can stay physically and mentally in the game for 4 quarters and fight until the end.  They have been able to do this all 4 games thus far, which speaks highly of their heart,  commitment and also about the coaches i think.

The losses have been frustrating, but the under the circumstances, i dont see how anyone doesnt see the potential here, and the growth of many of these young players which are building blocks of future success.

I'm gonna keep some perspective in my thoughts and emotions during tonights game.

I'd also like to admit (tho embarrassing) that when we came back and tied thecTexans last week, i was SINGING and DANCING (alone) to that stupid " bang on de drum all day" song.

And i HATE that song !!!!!!!     Intensely !!!!!!!!

2 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Turnovers .... yes.

But 4th quarter defensive penalties, ESPECIALLY on 3rd down, has beat us late in games.  Usually on the "game -losing" drive by their offense.. (game-losing for us)

We have been killed by ill-timed penalties.

We are a beat-up and TIRED team after that physical divisional game.  There is usually an emotional dip after a game and loss like that.

I have hope, but obviously expect the loss.  I will be happy (and impressed) if the team can stay physically and mentally in the game for 4 quarters and fight until the end.  They have been able to do this all 4 games thus far, which speaks highly of their heart,  commitment and also about the coaches i think.

The losses have been frustrating, but the under the circumstances, i dont see how anyone doesnt see the potential here, and the growth of many of these young players which are building blocks of future success.

I'm gonna keep some perspective in my thoughts and emotions during tonights game.

I'd also like to admit (tho embarrassing) that when we came back and tied thecTexans last week, i was SINGING and DANCING (alone) to that stupid " bang on de drum all day" song.

And i HATE that song !!!!!!!     Intensely !!!!!!!!

We will win when we quit beating ourselves.  That is what is frustrating.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I hear yah.  Sometimes when one is close between a loss and a win, all it takes is a play or two and the loss is turned into a win or vice versa.  Turnovers, penalties, mental mistakes and such are all examples of single plays that can flip a game. 

Hopefully, you guys can turn it around as there is still a lot of games left in the season. 

• Thanks 1

If Castanzo plays, I think it will be an INSANE boost to our offensive line (assuming he is close enough to 100% which he would have to be if they sent him out there to start). Luck, with a little bit time, has the ability to shred pretty much every defense in this league, much less the Patriots and their ehh defense. 

Not having TY obviously hurts but I think last weekend was a nice test-run where Luck was forced to play without TY down a bunch of points and he responded without an issue. As long as we don't have drops, Luck should be fine playing with the likes of Pascal, Grant, and Rogers. We spread the ball enough that I am not too worried. In the red-zone, we have Ebron and the running backs. If anything, this prevents Luck from staring down TY every time we play the Patriots. He will be forced to spread the ball around and when he does, he does it really well and usually doesn't throw any bone-headed picks. 

Not having Leonard will HURT A LOT. I know they recalled Moore so I am thinking that if Leonard doesn't play, walker slides into his role and Moore takes over Walker's role. But its not as clean cut and dry that Leonard is definitely out. They might just limit the number of plays that he is in.

My problem is with the cornerback depth. If Hairston can't play, we might as well accept that NE will score close to 40 ATLEAST. If he can, then its not all that bad. Play him and Desir at the edges, and bring Geathers up to play against Gronk while Farley fills in as the extra safety in the back. I really don't want to see any of the other cornerbacks play that much in this game because you know that Belicheck and Brady will attack that depth (or lack there of lol). Our defensive game is ultimately going to determine what happens. I have enough confidence in Luck and his ability that we will atleast come out neutral on that front. How much the defense allows is a whole other ball game.