Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck addresses questions about his arm.....

NewColtsFan

53 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Its been like that for 5 years.  I remember when folks were giddy about signing Hakeem Nicks, then AJ, then I thought the Dorsett pick at least was an attempt to finally address the issue, but that didn't work out.  Its been nobodies ever since then.

Not all fans.  I thought Dorsett would be a good pick and he ended up not being very good but I was never excited about Nicks or AJ or the other receivers they tried to replace Wayne with.

I do like Grant though.  As Grant gets comfortable with the offense and the team and as Luck gets his timing down with Grant he is going to become a big part of the Colts offense.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Not all fans.  I thought Dorsett would be a good pick and he ended up not being very good but I was never excited about Nicks or AJ or the other receivers they tried to replace Wayne with.

I do like Grant though.  As Grant gets comfortable with the offense and the team and as Luck gets his timing down with Grant he is going to become a big part of the Colts offense.

Agreed, on all points.

57 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I agree, I thought Dorsett had a chance to help take the double teams off of TY.  I wasn't sure about Nicks, but I did believe AJ was going to be a much better acquisition than he turned out to be. 

• Like 1

Steve Young said on Pardon The Interruption yesterday Luck is pushing the ball as opposed to firing the ball as he used to. He pointed to some passes in the Eagles game and two stood out to me as I watched that game. My thought was how slow the ball traveled. One of those was intercepted and the second nearly intercepted. Ironically, it was said on one of the pregame shows  (Rams /Viks) that the NFL is becoming a short pass game. This idea was also brought out in the LeVeon Bell discussions as to why he would be a good fit for Indy. To me, I am not worried about Luck. Be patient and lets see how the season pans out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, King Colt said:

Steve Young said on Pardon The Interruption yesterday Luck is pushing the ball as opposed to firing the ball as he used to. He pointed to some passes in the Eagles game and two stood out to me as I watched that game. My thought was how slow the ball traveled. One of those was intercepted and the second nearly intercepted. Ironically, it was said on one of the pregame shows  (Rams /Viks) that the NFL is becoming a short pass game. This idea was also brought out in the LeVeon Bell discussions as to why he would be a good fit for Indy. To me, I am not worried about Luck. Be patient and lets see how the season pans out.

The real odd thing is.  He didn't throw any interceptions in the eagles game

4 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I never thought much of the Nicks/Johnson signings either, but many seem to be infatuated with the idea of a physical receiver, instead of route runners who can get separation.  I think Grant is fine, and he is more like the type of WR the offense needs, but the corps as a whole needs upgrading.   There needs to be enough talent to where it helps Luck improve his timing and accuracy. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, King Colt said:

His motion has always had more of a push to it than a whip, which is what is different than other top flight QBs.  This is nothing new, IMO.

31 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I never thought much of the Nicks/Johnson signings either, but many seem to be infatuated with the idea of a physical receiver, instead of route runners who can get separation.  I think Grant is fine, and he is more like the type of WR the offense needs, but the corps as a whole needs upgrading.   There needs to be enough talent to where it helps Luck improve his timing and accuracy. 

Yeah, I thought Rogers would be that #3 guy but he's been disappointing so far.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

That's really funny because both squads are several years in the making of the WR corps.  The Rams are made up of other teams cast offs and a lot of talking heads and fans thought Josh Reynolds would be better than Cooper Kupp.

The Vikings have a 5th round pick and an UDFA as their primary receivers.  And again it's been 5 years in the making.

The LAR did build their WR corp in two years. Signed Woods as a FA in March 2017. Drafted Kupp in the 3rd round of the 2017 NFL Draft. Traded for Cooks in April 2018.

Would love to be able to do what MIN has done...but the odds are very much against being able to do that .

Colts will likely need to fall somewhere in between those teams.

Here are four short video's from Steve Young.

He basically says Luck's arm is not the same.    He encourages the Colts to be patient with Luck, even if it means sitting him down while he builds up strength off the field.    He wants the Colts to think long term.

The video's are all on one page from ESPN.     Click on the link,  and the first four video's should be Young talking Luck.     I've never linked like this before,  so please tell me if it doesn't work!

http://www.espn.com/search/results?q=steve young%2C andrew luck#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=steve young%2C andrew luck

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

He basically says Luck's arm is not the same.    He encourages the Colts to be patient with Luck, even if it means sitting him down while he builds up strength off the field.    He wants the Colts to think long term.

The video's are all on one page from ESPN.     Click on the link,  and the first four video's should be Young talking Luck.     I've never linked like this before,  so please tell me if it doesn't work!

http://www.espn.com/search/results?q=steve young%2C andrew luck#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=steve young%2C andrew luck

I trust Steve Young, but instead of simply making statements, I'd like to see video comparison of what he sees before and after surgery.  Regular fatigue over the course of a game is understandable in his situation, but the insinuation seems to be that the surgery has cost him something.  Mostly others are making this and not Young.

What I hear is folks nitpicking the motion, then saying its surgery related, when I have stated for years that his motion was always different than most elite QBs.  Also, he's always had ball placement issues relative to the other elite QBs, IMO.  And in this dink and dunk offense, any ball placement issues are going to show up more often compared to the Chud system.  Again, I won't be able to attribute that to the surgery as easily as others can.

On 9/27/2018 at 7:51 AM, IinD said:

Probably read our forum and was like 'let me just say something to shut this forum up'.. Lol

Don’t say it, show it.

With that said, no one expected MVP Andrew. But a glimpse of  the future will help ease concern. Currently the Colts are 1-2 in spite of Andrew not because of.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, DougDew said:

His motion has always had more of a push to it than a whip, which is what is different than other top flight QBs.  This is nothing new, IMO.

His motion, often criticized for resulting in high throws has been a rotary motion releasing the ball too high. He has never whipped a football. Farve and Brees maybe but not Luck. 

15 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Sure it was by every definition. It was negated so taken off the record the same as every play that gets negated by a penalty. 

I disagree with this logic.  So a CB could push  WR down, catch the pass for an "interception" and gets flagged for PI. That is NOT an interception.

3 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

I disagree with this logic.  So a CB could push  WR down, catch the pass for an "interception" and gets flagged for PI. That is NOT an interception.

It is not logic. He threw a ball. That ball (the same ball) was caught by a defender. The flag (not for PI) negated the play. Who caught the pass? Would the QB in the actual play regret his throw? Yes he would. Technically, not an INT but it is to the coaches and QB.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, King Colt said:

It is not logic. He threw a ball. That ball (the same ball) was caught by a defender. The flag (not for PI) negated the play. Who caught the pass? Would the QB in the actual play regret his throw? Yes he would. Technically, not an INT but it is to the coaches and QB.

Yes...I have a feeling Luck and the coaches would agree with you here. Would-be interceptions (ones negated by penalty) or even passes that a defender drops...are basically treated as interceptions.

Interestingly, if this situation were different...like Luck throwing a TD that was negated due to an OL hands to the face penalty...I assume plenty of people here would say Luck threw for that TD...but it was negated by a stupid penalty...and spin it as a positive (which it would be).

That same standard should be applied here. But at this piont, it seems like saying anything remotely not positive about Luck is akin to heresy. 

25 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Fair enough. 

Nice article, but I have watched all his games (Sunday Ticket), and he does not have the same velocity on his throws that he had before the injury. He may be able to make all the throws, but the ball gets to the target slower than it used to...the DBs have that extra split second to react. He only looks the same on the short throws.

• Thanks 1

On 9/29/2018 at 8:16 AM, NewColtsFan said:

Dear Andrew, apologies, maybe I got it wrong.

Best regards,

Steve

• Like 1

1 minute ago, K-148 said:

Is there any chances Reich will push for his own young QB on a draft day? Not because Luck's arm strength, but because Luck's age, Reich's system and so on?

I don't think so, not at this stage.  Luck is only in his 7th year, really 6th if you count the lost last season, and he still has plenty of mileage in the tank if his arm if fully healed.  Drew Brees is about to break some all-time passing records on a repaired shoulder done about a decade ago.  Luck can do it too.

6 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

I don't think so, not at this stage.  Luck is only in his 7th year, really 6th if you count the lost last season, and he still has plenty of mileage in the tank if his arm if fully healed.  Drew Brees is about to break some all-time passing records on a repaired shoulder done about a decade ago.  Luck can do it too.

Colts won't play for SB even in 2019. And Luck will be 31 september 2020. Pretty tight window. Why not take new QB to grow with this new team? Right now there are not a lot of teams in a desperate need of a QB, so it is possible to get a QB in 2019 draft without trading up.

3 minutes ago, K-148 said:

Colts won't play for SB even in 2019. And Luck will be 31 september 2020. Pretty tight window. Why not take new QB to grow with this new team? Right now there are not a lot of teams in a desperate need of a QB, so it is possible to get a QB in 2019 draft without trading up.

2019 is somewhat of a bad year for QB's. I'm all in favor of getting more draft capital if we got a huge offer, but we can't replace Luck in next year's draft. Not only that, it's a huge draft for D-Line and O-Line, which we should be loading up on.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

2019 is somewhat of a bad year for QB's. I'm all in favor of getting more draft capital if we got a huge offer, but we can't replace Luck in next year's draft. Not only that, it's a huge draft for D-Line and O-Line, which we should be loading up on.

Wait a minute... don't you have some crow to cook so you can eat it while watching the Denver game tonight? 

5 minutes ago, Lucky1 said:

Wait a minute... don't you have some crow to cook so you can eat it while watching the Denver game tonight? 

It was up to Luck to prove me wrong, not for me to put blind faith that he would return from an injury and miraculously heal up. He has done so, and I'm giving him props. End of story.

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Mighty big talk from the man who posted here that Luck's arm is shot.

Steve doesn't say that.     I don't say that.   

Only you say that.

I think he was being sarcastic when he said his arm was shot.  I'm not positive but that's how i read it.  (considering in context after the 4 td and over 350 yard game.)