Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Potential September 1st Cuts

Scott Pennock

Last year Ballard signed 5 players, two of which are still with the team and are solid contributors: Pierre Desir and Kenny Moore II.

I feel like there may be a WR or OL or LB (though it seems he likes his draft picks and Skai Moore) out there that may be on his watch list.

The trade today was just a preamble to bolstering the depth of this team.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Last year Ballard signed 5 players, two of which are still with the team and are solid contributors: Pierre Desir and Kenny Moore II.

I feel like there may be a WR or OL or LB (though it seems he likes his draft picks and Skai Moore) out there that may be on his watch list.

The trade today was just a preamble to bolstering the depth of this team.

This year there won’t be a partial cutdown.  It is all at once.  It’s going to be hectic.  Can’t wait to see all the moves 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Scott Pennock said:

It was the same last year as well I thought? 90 to 53 on the 1st? Then certain players have to pass thru the waiver process (which we're in excellent position for that) while others just become free agents based off of tenure....

If I'm wrong, please correct me! :)

correct

I wonder if he has any running backs on his list. He probably doesn’t as I’m sure he wants to see what he has in the young guys he drafted the last two years, but I read some articls today on Bleacher Report (I know, I know) that suggested Ameer Abdullah, C.J. Prosise, and Charcandrick West could be roster cuts. Now although none of them are superstars, I think they are all as good as what we currently have. I’d be especially interested in West and Abdullah.

2 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

I wonder if he has any running backs on his list. He probably doesn’t as I’m sure he wants to see what he has in the young guys he drafted the last two years, but I read some articls today on Bleacher Report (I know, I know) that suggested Ameer Abdullah, C.J. Prosise, and Charcandrick West could be roster cuts. Now although none of them are superstars, I think they are all as good as what we currently have. I’d be especially interested in West and Abdullah.

West has already signed with NYJ

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Alex22 said:

correct

Thank you! This is why I view September 1st cuts this year as an extension of the draft and UDFA periods....one or two of the guys our scouts REALLY liked are bound to be cut and since we're number 3 in the waiver process we're likely to land a couple solid depth players.

Who knows, perhaps we find ourselves another couple 'hidden gems' like Desir and Moore II......?

4 hours ago, SanDiegoColt8 said:

I saw somewhere that Doug Martin could be a potential cut. I havent followed him much but I know hes put together a couple good seasons (followed by really bad seasons). Whats the deal with him?

Injuries robbed the muscle hamster of his payoff years during his prime.

10 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

It was the same last year as well I thought? 90 to 53 on the 1st? Then certain players have to pass thru the waiver process (which we're in excellent position for that) while others just become free agents based off of tenure....

If I'm wrong, please correct me! :)

Ugh.  Yes. You’re right.   I’d like to forget last year football wise completely 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

If we get the Notre Dame version of Prosise I'd be all for it.....power back WITH good hands (former receiver) and speed. But since he's been drafted he's been hurt every year.

If he could ever stay healthy I think he could be very productive. I also don't think he or Abdullah are getting cut. 

46 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

Injuries robbed the muscle hamster of his payoff years during his prime.

I'm out on Dougie. 

21 hours ago, Btown_Colt said:

Ameer Abdullah

The Lions signed Blount, drafted Johnson, and have Abdullah and Riddick. They also have Zach Zenner, and a fullback I think they want to keep. Definitely a crowded backfield, and I think two out of Abdullah, Riddick and Zenner don't make it. 

1 minute ago, Superman said:

The Lions signed Blount, drafted Johnson, and have Abdullah and Riddick. They also have Zach Zenner, and a fullback I think they want to keep. Definitely a crowded backfield, and I think two out of Abdullah, Riddick and Zenner don't make it. 

I remember when Theo Riddick had his single greatest game, against who??? The Colts in 2016.

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

Would you like an Abdullah on the Colts? I personally think he would instantly be our best RB and a combo of him and Mack would be pretty good.

I hadn’t considered Riddick, figured he was safe, but I’d take him as well.

1 minute ago, Btown_Colt said:

Would you like an Abdullah on the Colts? I personally think he would instantly be our best RB and a combo of him and Mack would be pretty good.

I hadn’t considered Riddick, figured he was safe, but I’d take him as well.

I like Abdullah and Riddick enough to make either of them RB3. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Superman said:

You make an interesting point. After browsing the Lions blogs... it seems Riddick and Abdullah are expected to make the squad.

However, Zach Zenner is predicted to be the odd man out.

He could possibly be a very good fit in Frank Reich's scheme as a utility RB

https://detroitjockcity.com/2018/07/30/detroit-lions-zach-zenner-longshot-make-roster/

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

He's got talent and an unfortunate injury history. 6'4" & 270 with some giddyup at 4.59 in the 40.

The question is who do we cut on the DLine to make room for him?

Nobody. The D-line is solid. Look for WR; Oline; LB; RB; S. 

I'd love for us to give a look to De'Angelo Henderson if Denver cuts him. Just as young as most of the other potential cuts, with very little mileage, talented and a relative unknown by many.

Not sure if we would do it, but I would rather him and his potential than some of these other guys who have proven over the course of years that they cannot stay healthy or be productive.

3 hours ago, TomDiggs said:

I'd love for us to give a look to De'Angelo Henderson if Denver cuts him. Just as young as most of the other potential cuts, with very little mileage, talented and a relative unknown by many.

Not sure if we would do it, but I would rather him and his potential than some of these other guys who have proven over the course of years that they cannot stay healthy or be productive.

Henderson is small but very good.....but Denver drafted 2 more RBs they really like....

.the cut might come because Henderson is not really a kick returner or special teams player..and they picked up an undrafted Colorado guy...Phillip Lindsey..who is..

..….Henderson's the guy who score a TD in 35 consecutive games in college..

Edited by oldunclemark

On 8/26/2018 at 10:50 PM, Scott Pennock said:

Thank you! This is why I view September 1st cuts this year as an extension of the draft and UDFA periods....one or two of the guys our scouts REALLY liked are bound to be cut and since we're number 3 in the waiver process we're likely to land a couple solid depth players.

Who knows, perhaps we find ourselves another couple 'hidden gems' like Desir and Moore II......?

Moore showed alittle promise at the end of last season. But he has been a huge disappointment early on in camp and pre season.