Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew Luck Or Rgiii

deedub75

Not that it seems likely that the Colts and Manning will part ways, we can now debate, argue, or whatever you want to call what we do on this site about Irsay's next move. Will Irsay go with Andrew Luck of RGIII?

Luck is similar to Manning....and if you keep Garcon and maybe Clark...maybe he can form the same bond with them that they had with Manning...

I do not believe RG3 is ready to play in the NFL...

I'm not sure Luck is either..but, as the son of an NFL QB. he's been preparing for this moment most of his life.

A lot of people also said that Cam Newton was not NFL ready and look what he did. RGIII is a more complete QB right now than Cam Newton was so I think RGIII can walk in and do just as well or better than Cam Newton.

Not offense to you..but I dont care what their numbers are.

I want to make the playoffs.....111-5, 9-7..I dont care.

I just want to have a chance..

I dont doubt that if he plays 16 games, Luck will throw for 4,000 yards.

But what will our record be.

Who's the Atlanta QB..Matt Ryan..? Luck reminds me of him

Not offense to you..but I dont care what their numbers are.

I want to make the playoffs.....111-5, 9-7..I dont care.

I just want to have a chance..

I dont doubt that if he plays 16 games, Luck will throw for 4,000 yards.

But what will our record be.

Who's the Atlanta QB..Matt Ryan..? Luck reminds me of him

Who said anything about numbers? All I said was that Newton played well above what anyone expected of him in his first season. I don't care about his rookie passing record even though he had a much better rookie season than Manning had. Had Carolina's defense not sucked they very well might have made the playoffs. Luck and RGIII both have the attributes to be great NFL QBs. You say that RGIII is not ready to be an NFL QB but you have absolutely nothing to back that up. RGIII is just as ready as Luck.

Who said anything about numbers? All I said was that Newton played well above what anyone expected of him in his first season. I don't care about his rookie passing record even though he had a much better rookie season than Manning had. Had Carolina's defense not sucked they very well might have made the playoffs. Luck and RGIII both have the attributes to be great NFL QBs. You say that RGIII is not ready to be an NFL QB but you have absolutely nothing to back that up. RGIII is just as ready as Luck.

I dont think either is ready.....

Luck.

And assuming all reports are correct about Manning today being released, not to be re-signed by the Colts, then I hope that Andrew Luck proves to be even better than Peyton Manning is (was) and I hope that under Luck's leadership, the Colts have even more success for the next ten years than they did for the previous ten years.

That being said, I am dubious. If Manning can play THIS year at 100%, then I think it is a mistake to let him go. If Manning cannot play at 100% THIS coming year, then I guess I am fine with Manning being released. Somehow it just does not seem right to me, though. This is not how I would want a hall of fame career by the face of the team to end.

Without Manning there is no Saturday, there will be no Wayne, Garcon is a free agent, Clark and Collie will injure themselves....Luck has no offensive left to allow him to succeed like the player everyone expects him to be. Why is that a better choice than peyton manning? Allow a new QB to sit behind manning for one year, and learn to be the manning caliber qb he could be. Hello...steve young behind joe montana? That worked out well. I am team RG3! Realistically, he will be way more versatile for our current offensive situation.

Check it to Pancakes@PancakesPodcast

Have now heard 2 respected media types/experts (Greg Cosell and Mike Mayock) say that Luck does not appear to be a once-in-a-lifetime player

LOL and so it began. i hope luck is ready, pressure and comparisions are going to come left and right.

What will happen at 12 noon today is the worst thing that could possibly happen to Andrew Luck.

He's never been under pressure like he will be this fall..

We need a soft early schedule and we need it bad

Luck.

And assuming all reports are correct about Manning today being released, not to be re-signed by the Colts, then I hope that Andrew Luck proves to be even better than Peyton Manning is (was) and I hope that under Luck's leadership, the Colts have even more success for the next ten years than they did for the previous ten years.

That being said, I am dubious. If Manning can play THIS year at 100%, then I think it is a mistake to let him go. If Manning cannot play at 100% THIS coming year, then I guess I am fine with Manning being released. Somehow it just does not seem right to me, though. This is not how I would want a hall of fame career by the face of the team to end.

hate to tell you the reports are correct especially since manning himself was in the press conference talking about it.

I think the only reason Luck is considered a better prospect right now is because the media has hyped him up so much over the last 2 years. Luck was in the spotlight more with Stanford contending for a national championship. RGIII is getting more publicity and I think he is closing the gap between him and Luck. Luck is not a consensus #1 pick as he once was.

Im going with Luck....obviously by the picture lol.

now dont get me wrong in no way am i saying RGIII is a bad qb but these are the reasons why im picking luck

in lucks sports science video they were doing comparisons with luck to manning, rodgers and tebow when they were in college and since we cant judge these two QB's to those 3 QB's in the NFL it was strictly about how they performed in college...

Luck had better accuracy then Manning in college and his completion percentage proved it Luck 66% Manning 62.9%

Lucks vision down field was alot better then rodgers was in college and releases the ball just as fast as rodgers does in the NFL

Luck is able to throw the ball 70 yards when his feet are planted and 50 yards when off balance.

Luck ran for a college career average of 6.6 yards a cary compared to tebows 4.6 yards a carry and Luck also was able to get off to a dead sprint right off the bat at 18 mph and he takes hits (could be costly and im sure the colts will keep him from doing that)

Luck also has the same build as tebow.

now again im not saying RG3 is not going to be good, there is a reason why he is projected to go with the second pick. but RG3 you never really saw read a defense and change a play up that would beat that defense his calls came from the sidelines. Luck is alot like manning as he is always moving around at the line. you want the guy who can be close to bein as good as manning. RG3 is the type of QB youwould see in washington or cleveland running a west coast offense where he can use his legs if he needs to. hes not a pocket passer.

Ryan Leaf was pretty highly rated coming out too..

Can we stop with the Luck/Leaf comparisons? There were plenty of teams who didn't like Leaf in 98, he had attitude/behavior issues, he was a flake at the combine, and there were questions if he would be a good NFL QB.

I don't think I have heard anyone not like Luck, I don't think I have heard anyone question his attitude, work ethic, background, etc. Could he be a bust? Sure he could, but he is about as safe a pick as you could possibly want.

I don't think its fair to expect Luck to be as good as Manning or Elway but he doesn't have to be as good as Manning if the Colts actually put a complete team around him.

Its going to be hard enough for Luck to follow Manning, some of the posts you read on here would make you think they hope he sucks just so it makes Manning look even better. That imo is pathetic.

No comparison. As the previous poster said, many teams didn't even like Ryan Leaf anyways. Ryan was more concerned about going out gambling.

My point is , just because you are good in college doesnt mean you will be good in the NFL.. See: Couch, Tim Carr, David and so on

Ryan Leaf was pretty highly rated coming out too..

haha, Andrew Luck is a much better college prospect than Leaf. If Leaf were that good, he would gone first overall. Luck is considered better than Manning coming out of college, and Manning was better than Leaf coming out of college.

The difference between Luck and Leaf is that Leaf was drafted with so much potential, more than Peyton, and he just didn't live up to it. He wasn't the greatest college QB, but people saw a great talent in him and were willing to take a risk on him. Ryan Leaf is kind of like a better Ryan Tannenhill. He wasn't that experienced, but they saw potential in him, and he didn't live up to it.

Now with Luck, you get a QB that put up fantastic numbers in college with a limited amount of good players (Leaf had some great young players on defense and he had a good guard in McEndo). Luck had a great line, but no defense and no receivers. Luck still has a ton of potential, plus we know what he's done in college. He's a great player who still has a good amount of potential in this league.

My point is , just because you are good in college doesnt mean you will be good in the NFL.. See: Couch, Tim Carr, David and so on

Yep and that is a valid point. However since 2008 the sure fire QB's have been Matt Ryan, Matthew Stafford, Sam Bradford (great rookie year), and Cam Newton. That's a good list of QB's. Luck is much higher touted than them all so I fully expect him to be good, now am I expecting him to be great right off the bat, no, but none the less I expect to see solid play from him.

None of those Qbs that you mention were as good as Luck. I do not know if Luck will end up in the HOF, but he was a better college Qb than Leaf, Carr or Couch.

Check it to Pancakes@PancakesPodcast

Have now heard 2 respected media types/experts (Greg Cosell and Mike Mayock) say that Luck does not appear to be a once-in-a-lifetime player

LOL and so it began. i hope luck is ready, pressure and comparisions are going to come left and right.

Mayock still has Luck as the first pick, the best prospect in this draft, and the most ready. Mayock does, as you point out, not buy into the 'best in the last 30 years' assessment, but Luck is still number one on nearly every draft list, is nearly universally regarded as the most NFL ready now in this draft class. And lets be honest, what matters to the Colts now is who is the person best suited to not only be the first piece in the rebuilding, but the most ready to lead, play successfully now. Because that's what will have to happen.

The answer to the OP's question is Luck.

Can we stop with the Luck/Leaf comparisons? There were plenty of teams who didn't like Leaf in 98, he had attitude/behavior issues, he was a flake at the combine, and there were questions if he would be a good NFL QB.

Yeah he gets mentioned alot but there were clear red flags when you really go back and look.

People forget that the kid was constantly skipping on out film sessions and meetings to play golf. Not like its a huge deal but I remember when he was asked what he would do right after he was the #1 pick...he admitted he would go to Vegas. Obviously that alone is a big deal for a young kid who just got drafted but when you couple with other stuff he did around the time it added to the red flags. I also remember Leaf talking about how couldnt wait to win SBs and have parades in SD. The guy was arrogant and immature beyond belief. He was always consider to be a more raw prospect than Manning too but people fell in love with his arm strength (a trait that has lead many teams to drafting NFL busts). He was also inaccurate in college which is usually an indicator the player isnt ready to be starting immediately.

I have a whole thread on QB busts but typically guys like Couch, Akili Smith, etc...either were one year wonders or came from spread systems. Those guys shouldnt have been taken that high and put into a situation to start right away.

Mayock still has Luck as the first pick, the best prospect in this draft, and the most ready. Mayock does, as you point out, not buy into the 'best in the last 30 years' assessment, but Luck is still number one on nearly every draft list, is nearly universally regarded as the most NFL ready now in this draft class. And lets be honest, what matters to the Colts now is who is the person best suited to not only be the first piece in the rebuilding, but the most ready to lead, play successfully now. Because that's what will have to happen.

The answer to the OP's question is Luck.

I get it, he is highly regarded...i was just pointing out that Luck better be ready...not just phisically, but mentally. THIS will take a toll on him.

What will happen at 12 noon today is the worst thing that could possibly happen to Andrew Luck.

He's never been under pressure like he will be this fall..

We need a soft early schedule and we need it bad

That is my point...I completely agree

Neither TIm Couch or David Carr were ever considered the best QB since Manning or Elway.

Since Elway was drafted, these are the #1 overall QBs taken.

1987 - Vinny Testaverde, certainly not a HOF player but he was a very solid QB who got the Jets to an AFC title game.

1989 - Troy Aikman - SB winner, enough said

1993 - Drew Bledsoe - was a pro bowl caliber QB in New England and took them to a SB

1998 - Peyton Manning - SB winner, enough said

1999 - Tim Couch - Drafted by a terrible Cleveland team and was definite bust

2001 - Michael Vick - Was ATL franchise QB and got them to an NFC champ game

2002 - David Carr - Was a bust, but was also drafted by an expansion team and got pummeled

2003 - Carson Palmer - Was a great QB in cinci for a while and got bit by injuries. Certainly could have been elite

2004 - Eli Manning - SB winner

2005 - Alex Smith - was considered a bust until taking his team to the NFC title game this year

2007 - Jamarcus Russell - Bust for sure, raiders notoriously bad drafters and he made it worse by not caring

2009 - Matthew Stafford - Threw for 5,000yds this season

2010 - Sam Bradford - Had a great rookie year taking a long suffering team to the playoffs

Of those 13 guys

Three are busts (Carr, Couch, and Russell)

Three are HOF worthy or at least close (Aikman, Manning I, Manning II)

Four are quality NFL starters but not elite historically (Testaverde, Palmer, Bledsoe, and Vick)

Three are really too young to know for sure (Stafford, Bradford, and Smith)

Seven took their teams to at least their conference Championship and five went to Super Bowls.

People are making it out to be that #1 overall QBs dont pan out, MOST do.

Luck! I don't think he will be another Ryan Leaf nor I don't think he will be a bust, like Leaf or others. I have all confidence in him. He comes from background of a family like Peyton and Eli did. From a smart football background family. I am excited! Both him and Rgiii are great draft prospects. But I will go with Luck over Rgiii. I think Luck will have a better NFL career then Rgiii. I think RGIII will still have an good NFL career as well. Now I can't wait for the draft so the Colts can make it official for Luck. I hope some fans won't be mad at Luck nor take their anger out on him. Lets all embrace him.

Luck (on paper) has everything that I think Indy should want. I know I want him. He's got a great attitude, work ethic and solid numbers. We need someone who can manage a game.

The problem is he's going to inherit all the problems that Peyton had. We still need to address the defense issues and run/pass blocking. Bringing in Luck is not going to change everything...there has to be some serious rebuilding.