Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

R-E-L-A-X!

Rally5

Colts fans, a few things we should keep a modicum of perspective on as it relates to Monday nights game. 

1. Luck has always been a slow start / finish strong QB, not surprised he didn't come out like a flamethrower, relax.  It won't take him long to get sorted out.

2. There are three irreplaceable people on this team, two didn't play last night and both directly impact Luck.

3. You don't game plan your opponent in the pre-season.   

4. We are not showing our hand on offense (per Coach) as to gain a competitive advantage for the actual games.

5. We've yet to play to our two starting safeties together, this defense may be really interesting once we settle on a starting 11.  I think we could use some muscle at LB and a corner but otherwise, I'm fairly encouraged.

6. I think we're all noticing a lot of guys flashing and showing potential, I'm kinda excited for the first time in many years about the young talent on the field, including Ridgeway, the 4-3 suits him really well!

So. let's be smart Colts fans and not buy into the media overreaction that we suck, that we have no talent,  that the Colts can't compete this year, or Luck won't be his old self.  Nobody can possibly know that at this point.  We have two new coordinators and a new HC that haven't shown us their full install nor a starting lineup as of yet.  

This is why we play pre-season games!  Just wait...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

TY often disappears when double covered so its not like his return would significantly improve things if other aspects of the O don't improve.

The play calling looked a bit vanilla, almost Chud-ish, so I expect a full transition to the new O would have a bigger impact. 

2 things that bother me. The "old Luck" sometimes forced throws and sometimes had them "sail" high on him. Its early, he's rusty so trying not to read too much into. That ability to run for his life and throw with lazer sharp accuracy is still there though, might still need that   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m not freaking out over preseason. Never do. Most of the Colts best seasons came from losing every preseason game.

However it seems that some people are expecting the Colts to over achieve this year. There will be plenty more dissapointed on this board throughout the season.

I get being excited, as am I. Just trying to be realistic. 

I do however hope this team is competitive, because I feel as if Ballard thinks the Colts are close to playoff or Super Bowl contention then he will be more inclined to spend some of that FA money on some promising players.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, bravo4460 said:

I’m not freaking out over preseason. Never do. Most of the Colts best seasons came from losing every preseason game.

However it seems that some people are expecting the Colts to over achieve this year. There will be plenty more dissapointed on this board throughout the season.

I get being excited, as am I. Just trying to be realistic. 

I do however hope this team is competitive, because I feel as if Ballard thinks the Colts are close to playoff or Super Bowl contention then he will be more inclined to spend some of that FA money on some promising players.

The preseason didn't matter before because we had a healthy Peyton Manning with Harrison, Wayne and Clark during the regular season. Luck is hurt and he has Hilton, Doyle and Ebron as his top guys. We also can't just say Luck will be fine because the only sample size Luck has had post-recovery is training camp and two preseason games. So we have to put a lot of emphasis on that. The majority of the team is also young 1st and 2nd year players, so the preseason sample size is very important in judging them as well.

It may not seem important and just preseason, but we don't have much of a sample size besides these two games to judge these players on.

• Like 2

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

The preseason didn't matter before because we had a healthy Peyton Manning with Harrison, Wayne and Clark during the regular season. Luck is hurt and he has Hilton, Doyle and Ebron as his top guys. We also can't just say Luck will be fine because the only sample size Luck has had post-recovery is training camp and two preseason games. So we have to put a lot of emphasis on that. The majority of the team is also young 1st and 2nd year players, so the preseason sample size is very important in judging them as well.

It may not seem important and just preseason, but we don't have much of a sample size besides these two games to judge these players on.

I can agree with that.

However if we are putting a lot of emphasis on this preseason then the Colts look to have a long season ahead.

So glass half full, preseason doesn’t matter. Haha

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Exactly. That's why it is better not to judge, or at least not to be dramactically over angst about this 'small sample size'. Etc.

I am relaxed.  I don't get any more shook about a performance like this in the preseason than I would about a win in the preseason.  Really doesn't mean much.  Too many guys out, likely on both teams, to really determine how good your team is.  Schemes are vanilla too.  Nobody wants to show too much.    And did anybody REALLY expect Luck to light the world on fire at this point?  And if so, why?

6 hours ago, Rally5 said:

So. let's be smart Colts fans and not buy into the media overreaction that we suck, that we have no talent,  that the Colts can't compete this year, or Luck won't be his old self. 

I do agree that there is a danger in overreacting or believing that Luck isn't crisp enough yet. As for the media dismissing INDY or creating the tired old narrative that we are a substandard team, I'm used to it & it doesn't even faze me anymore.

Turnovers bother me. I won't lie about that. But, given his prolonged time rehabbing to get back on the field, no QB is gonna re-emerge with pinpoint accuracy & it's human nature that anyone might force a few throws because you're trying so hard to make a good impression & reassure your fanbase that the mojo can & will be recaptured. As PrincetonTiger always says "everything will be okay." 

I'm just glad to see Chewbacca taking licks, getting back up, & smiling. When you think something you enjoy doing is gone forever & you get it back, it's an awesome thing to see man. It truly is.

1 hour ago, Coltsman1788 said:

We just need him to shake off the rust and regain his confidence so the many good traits he has start manifesting in games again.

Yeah, that's exactly where I'm at too C1788. I don't see us winning our division or even landing a Wildcard slot this yr. All I care about is Andrew getting his NFL legs under him again, establishing a rapid release rhythm with the ball, & better ball security. Honestly, if Andrew can do that, I'll be happy.

Yeah, I know. It's way too early to predict what our record will be. I just think that Luck needs time to know he can trust his protection to hold up & gel with Eric Ebron & other new faces & establish a rapport with as the season progresses.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, CR91 said:

so you're saying there's hope :woah:

"Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi; you're my only hope." --Princess Leia

So, who is Obi-Wan in this scenario then? Frank Reich who protects Luck from pushing himself too hard too fast or Chris Ballard for keeping Chewy's jersey clean once games really matter?

Just pulling your leg CR91. You swung the door wide open & I merely walked through it. haha

Ugly game, yes.  No denying that.  But there are lots of people that saw some silver lining in some of the individual play, especially on Defense (Simon, some of the DTs, Wilson, etc).  

This season is going to be ups and downs as this young team goes through growing pains and tries to find its identity.  Should be fun and infuriating to watch. LOL

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Rally5 said:

Colts fans, a few things we should keep a modicum of perspective on as it relates to Monday nights game. 

1. Luck has always been a slow start / finish strong QB, not surprised he didn't come out like a flamethrower, relax.  It won't take him long to get sorted out.

2. There are three irreplaceable people on this team, two didn't play last night and both directly impact Luck.

3. You don't game plan your opponent in the pre-season.   

4. We are not showing our hand on offense (per Coach) as to gain a competitive advantage for the actual games.

5. We've yet to play to our two starting safeties together, this defense may be really interesting once we settle on a starting 11.  I think we could use some muscle at LB and a corner but otherwise, I'm fairly encouraged.

6. I think we're all noticing a lot of guys flashing and showing potential, I'm kinda excited for the first time in many years about the young talent on the field, including Ridgeway, the 4-3 suits him really well!

So. let's be smart Colts fans and not buy into the media overreaction that we suck, that we have no talent,  that the Colts can't compete this year, or Luck won't be his old self.  Nobody can possibly know that at this point.  We have two new coordinators and a new HC that haven't shown us their full install nor a starting lineup as of yet.  

This is why we play pre-season games!  Just wait...

To the bolded I'm assuming you meant Castanzo and Hilton.  It seemed like Luck had no one to throw to on deep routes, and the left tackle had some issues but there were many times when there was time in the pocket, just no one to throw to.  I'm not too worried yet.  I will also say even though it was against the twos/threes, I saw Adams in on a lot of tackles, making hits at the point of contact and driving people back, which was good.  I agree Ridgeway is showing his potential, but our linebacker core is young, so will take some time to develop.  Overall I think the defense showed a good effort and the 1st team offensive receivers were the most disappointing.  Just my two cents! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, southwest1 said:

I'm just glad to see Chewbacca taking licks, getting back up, & smiling. When you think something you enjoy doing is gone forever & you get it back, it's an awesome thing to see man. It truly is.

I saw his neck beard is growing back when he was being interviewed.  Very interesting....'ol Chewbacca! :)

• Thanks 1