Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay cryptic tweet/Bob Lamey (Voice of the Colts) retiring (merge)

Luck 4 president

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

First of all, lets take Lamey's statement at face value and that what he said is true. As a non-american I am having hard time understanding how this is even a story, let alone one that lead to his firing/retirement.

To me context is everything, there are no magical words that automatically make you a racist independent of context. How is quoting someone using the n-word held against you, unless you support the message of the person using the n-word and the message itself is meant as a derogatory slur? 

Would me quoting Martin Luther King using the N-word be considered racist? 

Would me quoting an obvious racist using the N-word be considered racist if I didn't support the message but was quoting simply to relay information? 

I agree. Great Post.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, stitches said:

First of all, lets take Lamey's statement at face value and that what he said is true. As a non-american I am having hard time understanding how this is even a story, let alone one that lead to his firing/retirement.

To me context is everything, there are no magical words that automatically make you a racist independent of context. How is quoting someone using the n-word held against you, unless you support the message of the person using the n-word and the message itself is meant as a derogatory slur? 

Would me quoting Martin Luther King using the N-word be considered racist? 

Would me quoting an obvious racist using the N-word be considered racist if I didn't support the message but was quoting simply to relay information? 

Call it the Pappa John effect

the are certain words or quotes one does not use in public esp. if you are a public figure

I think Lamey made a mistake 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Call it the Pappa John effect

the are certain words or quotes one does not use in public esp. if you are a public figure

I think Lamey made a mistake 

I don't think that is a good comparison. I had to read that article several times to make sense of it. He did not use the word himself to address someone or to describe someone/group of people. He was quoting someone else while telling a story. What's so egregious or offensive about that! Okay, the word is offensive but look at the context.

I agree with Stitches. This should have been a non-story. There are real stories of racism. This is not one of them. 

• Like 7

I hope the one thing that we all can agree on is that Bob Lamey is NOT a racist.    There is no part of me that thinks that.

That said....    these are politically explosive times.   A person in his position simply can not tell the story and not fear that it could blow up in his face.    Note in the story it states that Lamey asked if all recording devices were turned off.   He knew the danger.

At best if you were paraphrasing someone else using that word you’d never ever actually say that word.   At best you’d say...   “the N-word.”  Or say...   “a word I can not say in public.”

But I’d prefer that people just not go there.  Don’t tell that story.   Just don’t.

Not enough to be gained and too much to lose.   John Schnatter should’ve known better too.

I feel bad for Bob Lamey.   A man’s career shouldn’t end like this.   But, right or wrong,  agree or disagree,  these are the times we live in.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I hope the one thing that we all can agree on is that Bob Lamey is NOT a racist.    There is no part of me that thinks that.

That said....    these are politically explosive times.   A person in his position simply can not tell the story and not fear that it could blow up in his face.    Note in the story it states that Lamey asked if all recording devices were turned off.   He knew the danger.

At best if you were paraphrasing someone else using that word you’d never ever actually say that word.   At best you’d say...   “the N-word.”  Or say...   “a word I can not say in public.”

But I’d prefer that people just not go there.  Don’t tell that story.   Just don’t.

Not enough to be gained and too much to lose.   John Schnatter should’ve known better too.

I feel bad for Bob Lamey.   A man’s career shouldn’t end like this.   But, right or wrong,  agree or disagree,  these are the times we live in.

It wasn't in public though. It was a private conversation off air overheard by another non involve employee who reported it. This is gonna get blown up and out of proportion badly. I feel for Bob. I really do. One slip up during a relaying a story shouldn't define you. But it's gonna be remembered for all time that he used it. A word used by many still today, even by those who claim to oppose it. 

Ive worked with at risk youth from the most violent sections of our inner cities for years now. I have to explain to each of them how they shouldn't use that word when referring to their own friends and family when others lose their careers and livelihoods for saying it once. 

• Like 1

I do have some sympathy for Bob Lamey in this instance.  As many have said, it is a private conversation he had off the record.

However, anybody, let alone a public figure, has to know that you absolutely cannot use that word in any circumstance.  It has such a jarring effect (for good reason) you just have to know that, as a white person, that word cannot come out of your mouth.

12 minutes ago, DaveA1102 said:

I do have some sympathy for Bob Lamey in this instance.  As many have said, it is a private conversation he had off the record.

However, anybody, let alone a public figure, has to know that you absolutely cannot use that word in any circumstance.  It has such a jarring effect (for good reason) you just have to know that, as a white person, that word cannot come out of your mouth.

I agree with you except for one part. That word should be strictened from EVERYONE's vocabulary. White, Black, green, yellow, pink, orange, brown, purple, red etc. doesn't matter. If the word can cause anger, hate, vile and cause the people used by it as a description as well as  person who used it themselves to suffer, then nobody should be using it. Period.

It shouldn't matter if a white person said it or a black person. It still shouldn't be used by anyone. Saying it's ok for one group to use said word but not another is actually a racist notion. Why?

Because one group of people is being told what they can or can't say based on the color of their skin, which essentially is controlling a group of people based on skin color, the very definition of racism.

:rantoff:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Ive worked with at risk youth from the most violent sections of our inner cities for years now. I have to explain to each of them how they shouldn't use that word when referring to their own friends and family when others lose their careers and livelihoods for saying it once.

While I think this was overblown and someone should not have lost his job over this, I disagree with your comment above. There is a difference between someone calling a member of his/her group a derogatory word and someone from outside the group using the same word. I'm sure you can understand that. Don't you get upset when a non-Americans criticizes your country? I know I do.

In addition, you probably are not from that group ("risk youth from the most violent sections of our inner cities").  If you're not, those youth probably will not appreciate what you're telling them, as they can dismiss that as coming from someone who cannot relate to them. On the other hand, if a member of their own group tells them they should not use the word, that will resonate with them more. 

5 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

In addition, you probably are not from that group ("risk youth from the most violent sections of our inner cities").  If you're not, those youth probably will not appreciate what you're telling them, as they can dismiss that as coming from someone who cannot relate to them. On the other hand, if a member of their own group tells them they should not use the word, that will resonate with them more. 

I am actually. 

5 minutes ago, csmopar said:

It shouldn't matter if a white person said it or a black person. It still shouldn't be used by anyone. Saying it's ok for one group to use said word but not another is actually a racist notion. Why?

I think a black public figure would get in trouble for using that word. Young people using that word amongst themselves is repugnant but what are you going to do to them? Arrest them? 

5 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

You're from the inner city and you are "youth"?  I thought you were about my age. :sorry: 

No, in my youth I was. I enlisted at 17, got the freak out of there and never looked back. Used the GI bill and a full time job to get myself through college and earn a masters degree and go on to have a career. I dont and didn't let ancestorial history and actions define me.  

The only  way to heal a wound is to let it be and let it heal. Picking at it and constant reminders of those heinous days will only make it continue.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

11 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I agree with you except for one part. That word should be strictened from EVERYONE's vocabulary. White, Black, green, yellow, pink, orange, brown, purple, red etc. doesn't matter. If the word can cause anger, hate, vile and cause the people used by it as a description as well as  person who used it themselves to suffer, then nobody should be using it. Period.

Because one group of people is being told what they can or can't say based on the color of their skin, which essentially is controlling a group of people based on skin color, the very definition of racism.

:rantoff:

I don't disagree that the word should just be removed from all vocabulary, but I think its connotations with being used by white people against black people for centuries mean it is especially jarring when from a white person.

Although it is true to say this is a type of racism, as a white male, I understand that I don't really get to complain about racism against me in comparison to literally every other social demographic. 

Its like Bruce Wayne moaning about the cost of milk in the poverty stricken Gotham City......come on Bruce, perspective. haha

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

This is important IMO. 

As you say, he knew what he was about to say was not appropriate.  That should have been enough for him to know he shouldn't say it, whether recording equipment was on or not.

• Like 1

Bob made a mistake by using the N word but he isn't racist and he was telling a story so it doesn't make him a bad person either. He is old, not in good health, and wasn't thinking. The guy is human - we all make mistakes. I don't look at him any less, he is still a radio legend and deserves to be in the Ring of Honor. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

White people cannot use the "N" word ever. Period. End of story. Does not matter the context at all. Bob Lamey was very foolish for saying this word, and should be ashamed of himself

That's absurd. He did not call anyone the N-word. He was telling a story. That is a big difference. Why is it that folks can't make the distinction. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, DaveA1102 said:

I don't disagree that the word should just be removed from all vocabulary, but I think its connotations with being used by white people against black people for centuries mean it is especially jarring when from a white person.

Although it is true to say this is a type of racism, as a white male, I understand that I don't really get to complain about racism against me in comparison to literally every other social demographic. 

Its like Bruce Wayne moaning about the cost of milk in the poverty stricken Gotham City......come on Bruce, perspective. haha

I get it. I'm just saying that if we truly want to end racism, then we have to move on and the use of that word completely deemed unacceptable. But yet it's used everywhere, in songs, movies, books, amongst friends. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, csmopar said:

No, in my youth I was. I enlisted at 17, got the freak out of there and never looked back. Used the GI bill and a full time job to get myself through college and earn a masters degree and go on to have a career. I dont and didn't let ancestorial history and actions define me.  

The only  way to heal a wound is to let it be and let it heal. Picking at it and constant reminders of those heinous days will only make it continue.

Okay. Thanks for sharing. I don't disagree with most of that. I just think that for some, it may be harder to move on from than others. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I call this the Post of the Day!!!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

White people cannot use the "N" word ever. Period. End of story. Does not matter the context at all. Bob Lamey was very foolish for saying this word, and should be ashamed of himself

i love the high and mighty...

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, DaveA1102 said:

oh godddddd

• Thanks 1

On 8/19/2018 at 3:55 PM, Coltsman1788 said:

Iconic call...

Edit..click on  the word "YouTube" to view it if it doesn't play here.

It never gets old... !!

This is the first time seeing this that I realized the Pats had 8 seconds and a timeout left. 

It would have taken a miracle like the Vikings had last year  and I doubt it would have changed the outcome, but it’s a little surprising they didn’t try.

Nevertheless, probably my favorite Colts game.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

As a person of color I strongly disagree with this. No one should use the “N” word. If what is said is true and he was quoting someone then I don’t see the problem.  

You have rappers and athletes use the “N” word. Rappers profit off of the excessive use of the “N” word.

you can’t be offended by an old white guy saying the “N” word when he is quoting someone and then go listen to you’re favorite rapper and jam that crap. 

I hate talking about this in a football forum but it needs to be said. The “N” word is horrible and should not be used by anyone including black people. 

All one needs today is to be offended by something and bam career ruined. Rant over I have to get to work. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, DaveA1102 said:

This is important IMO. 

As you say, he knew what he was about to say was not appropriate.  That should have been enough for him to know he shouldn't say it, whether recording equipment was on or not.

Again - it depends on the context. It might be as bad as @NewColtsFan suggests, but it also might be as innocent as a seasoned radio professional regular check that he's off air before he starts talking freely to his coleagues off-topic during an ads block and that he does that every time he starts talking off-air whether he's using controversial language or not. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaveA1102 said:

Are you in favor of banning books/plays like To Kill A Mockingbird or movies like Blazing Saddles or Django Unchained?

8 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

Are you in favor of banning books/plays like To Kill A Mockingbird or movies like Blazing Saddles or Django Unchained?

Banning it from books and songs and other things already in existence? No. Banning it from future use for publication or profit, yes.  Why? Because while I believe we have to move on and away from racism, those books are reminder not to allow history to repeat itself, which it can if we allow it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Banning it from books and songs and other things already in existence? No. Banning it from future use for publication or profit, yes.  Why? Because while I believe we have to move on and away from racism, those books are reminder not to allow history to repeat itself, which it can if we allow it.

So no one could ever put on the on the play To Kill A Mocking Bird or show the movies again?

31 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

So no one could ever put on the on the play To Kill A Mocking Bird or show the movies again?

no.  I'm saying we still allow those.  I am saying that if we're going to try to hold people accountable for using that word, Papa John, Bob Lamey, that celebrity chef from a few years back, then publishers need to stop allowing that word in NEW songs, NEW books and New movies etc. Existing can be kept as a reminder of where we came from and the painful history involved.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

no.  I'm saying we still allow those.  I am saying that if we're going to try to hold people accountable for using that word, Papa John, Bob Lamey, that celebrity chef from a few years back, then publishers need to stop allowing that word in NEW songs, NEW books and New movies etc. Existing can be kept as a reminder of where we came from and the painful history involved.

Okay, gotcha.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Censorship is a slippery slope. I think that people can and should police their own language and in this case, the language of others. Language evolves and it should.

But we cannot sanitize history.  Movies and books that show how people were, what people said are an important part of remembering history correctly.

I think also there's a benefit to looking back to see how things really were.  Came across this story on sexist ads this week https://www.buzzfeed.com/briangalindo/17-ridiculously-sexist-vintage-ads?utm_term=.ysp88oqlZr#.aoz55nm3xd

Sent it to my daughters.  You don't see that sort of thing anymore but, it wasn't so long ago

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1