Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay cryptic tweet/Bob Lamey (Voice of the Colts) retiring (merge)

Luck 4 president

6 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

Its crazy. None of these people know him on a personal basis. Even if he was just repeating a joke, the fact that he felt comfortable repeating the joke to another person in earshot of others bothers me. Maybe he took too much Ambien. 

He's 80 years old. In his day, doing something like that wasn't considered "wrong" necessarily. In his generation, people wouldn't overreact to something like that because it's a joke. We know not to do it today, but it's hard to change everything that was once ok in your life when you're 80 years old. He was wrong 100%, but he deserves some slack.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

He's 80 years old. In his day, doing something like that wasn't considered "wrong" necessarily. In his generation, people wouldn't overreact to something like that because it's a joke. We know not to do it today, but it's hard to change everything that was once ok in your life when you're 80 years old. He was wrong 100%, but he deserves some slack.

True but he has been a media type in Indianapolis for longer than I have been alive

8 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

He is old, therefore he gets a pass? That's not the way the world works.

It's the way it used to be therefore it's OK for him to act ways that people today find inappropriate? Nope.

The older generation have a responsibility to act like everybody else does and that is the way society should be.  

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, csmopar said:

No one, of any race, should be saying it. Its completely unacceptable.  If anyone is okay with a non-white person saying it, he/she is a HUGE hypocrite. Period

Uh huh. 

I didn't call you a name for what you believe.  I just disagreed

There is a problem when you start name calling.

Just because you don't understand it or agree with it doesn't mean it's wrong or untrue.  It just means you don't agree.

Honestly, I see a lot of benefit in the not too difficult task of avoiding racial slurs and offensive ways of interacting with people.

I don't hate people who use them, of which there are some of all races.

I don't want to be like them though.  

I'm understanding when people of older generation call me 'honey' or 'dear.' But I can tell you I find it enormously offensive when it comes from a younger generation. Especially a man......regardless of his race

I don't want everyone to stop using those words.  I just want them to stop demeaning women with those words.

I don't think there's a male equivalent.........maybe 'boy' but that's one that tends to be used racially as well.  Not a word I would ban either.

People are capable of being civil and I don't absolve them of making an effort........even if they do find that PC.

35 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

You can give him slack if you want. He may deserve yours but I think it is my choice if I don’t want to give him slack. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Nadine said:

Uh huh. 

Just because you don't understand it or agree with it doesn't mean it's wrong or untrue.  It just means you don't agree.

Honestly, I see a lot of benefit in the not too difficult task of avoiding racial slurs and offensive ways of interacting with people.

I'm understanding when people of older generation call me 'honey' or 'dear.' But I can tell you I find it enormously offensive when it comes from a younger generation.

I don't want everyone to stop using those words.  I just want them to stop demeaning women with those words.

I don't think there's a male equivalent.........maybe 'boy' but that's one that tends to be used racially as well.  Not a word I would ban either.

People are capable of being civil and I don't absolve them of making an effort........even if they do find that PC.

im confused.  My comment wasn't in response to anything you posted?  Nor am I calling anyone in particular a name. 

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

im confused.  My comment wasn't in response to anything you posted?  Nor am I calling anyone in particular a name. 

I was reacting to you calling anyone who accepts that black people choose to use the word.  A point I made in this thread.  An opinion you say would make me a hypocrite.

You didn't call anyone in a particular a name.......just anyone who disagrees with you

13 minutes ago, Nadine said:

Uh huh. 

I'm understanding when people of older generation call me 'honey' or 'dear.' But I can tell you I find it enormously offensive when it comes from a younger generation.

Hey, just so you know, I'm a white male, and I've been on the receiving end of 'honey', and 'dear', a few times. Even just last week. And I know they know I'm of the male persuasion.

It always surprises me a bit.

Without actually having heard him say it, there are several possible interpretations:

1.  He repeated it, thinking it was funny.

2.  He repeated it, thinking the guy who said was an *.

3.  He repeated it for the shock value, as in:  can you believe the driver said this in a taped interview?  That's a different kind of laugh, where you are laughing at the * who said it.

If it's #1, he deserved to be fired.  If not, it's hard to say.  In his position, at his place of employment, he should have kept it to himself.

The sad truth: if you're of a certain age, you could have gone anywhere in Indiana 15, 20, 25 years ago and heard similar things or worse said repeatedly.  I often had to warn anyone visiting from out of state.  You're gonna hear things you don't hear in California.

13 minutes ago, Nadine said:

I was reacting to you calling anyone who accepts that black people choose to use the word.  A point I made in this thread.  An opinion you say would make me a hypocrite.

You didn't call anyone in a particular a name.......just anyone who disagrees with you

if a word is a racial slur, bottom line is this, its a racial slur no matter who is using it.  Period. Being accepting of people using it is contributing to the inequality so many are trying to end... It's hypocritical on every level. Period. 

Everyone is equal, and as such, the rules/laws/political correctness needs to be colorblind. Holding one person accountable for saying a word but not holding others of a different skin tone to that same standard is just as unfair, unequal and truly, racist in another fashion. 

But there is also a difference between understanding people say it among themselves, and trying to get them to to understand they need to stop, as you described in another of your posts earlier when you described your family and friends, and flatly saying it doesn't matter if they say it or not, aka dismissing it as being ok because of their skin color.  The former is not being hypocritical, the later is.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Cynjin said:

Are you in favor of banning books/plays like To Kill A Mockingbird or movies like Blazing Saddles or Django Unchained?

Apples & oranges. People have the choice to see those movies or read those books. The person that was offended by Lamey's comments worked with him on a daily basis, & shouldn't have to encounter hearing racial slurs in a professional environment, regardless of context. If I said that at my job right now 12:41pm MT, I'd be fired by the 1:30pm. It really isn't that difficult, nor is it some deep philosophical concept, it's common sense.

21 minutes ago, buccolts said:

Hey, just so you know, I'm a white male, and I've been on the receiving end of 'honey', and 'dear', a few times. Even just last week. And I know they know I'm of the male persuasion.

It always surprises me a bit.

If you didn't feel like it was intended to be demeaning, it probably wasn't

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nadine said:

I don't have an issue with not using that word.  I literally never have thought of using that word.  It's just not ok and hasn't been my whole life. I think what's happened with the word in the black community is up to them.  I am not confused at all by it and I don't understand how anyone could be. I don't think anyone actually is confused by it.  They just don't like it or feel it's not fair.

2 hours ago, Nadine said:

I hear people say racist and sexist and religiously intolerant things all the time.  I hear a lot of it from people I love.  My dad was a terrible sexist and so are my brothers.  I try to call them out on it and they just double down.

It's all around us all the time.  We should all do the best we can to remind people not to use slurs.  

23 minutes ago, Nadine said:

The bolded, go along with what I said, you feel its not ok to use those slurs for anyone while understanding those in the black community will.  That's not being hypocritical. Being hypocritical would have been if you said it was ok for those in the black community to use that slur. Hope that helps clear things up.

6 minutes ago, csmopar said:

if a word is a racial slur, bottom line is this, its a racial slur no matter who is using it.  Period. Being accepting of people using it is contributing to the inequality so many are trying to end... It's hypocritical on every level. Period. 

Everyone is equal, and as such, the rules/laws/political correctness needs to be colorblind. Holding one person accountable for saying a word but not holding others of a different skin tone to that same standard is just as unfair, unequal and truly, racist in another fashion. 

But there is also a difference between understanding people say it among themselves, and trying to get them to to understand they need to stop, as you described in another of your posts earlier when you described your family and friends, and flatly saying it doesn't matter if they say it or not, aka dismissing it as being ok because of their skin color.  The former is not being hypocritical, the later is.

Disagree. 

It has a completely different meaning among black people.  

It's demeaning and intended as demeaning from white people

Honestly, I truly do not understand why some people feel so strongly that if they can't use the word.......another group of people who use the word in a different way cannot either.

I don't even get how it's on your radar at all much less why you have such a strong opinion on it.

Words have meaning and intent and that varies depending on who uses the word and in what context.

I leave it to black people to decide how they want to use that word.  For myself, I know it's not ok.

So I disagree with your view completely.  I defer to the people who have been on the receiving end of the word.

• Like 1

When a black person says it, they are mocking the racists who have used it for centuries.  The following would be something similar:  for years, Pats fans called Manning a choker.  Manning wins Super Bowl.  Colts fans then say:  good job choker, way to go choker!  "Choker" just threw another TD.  

You think he's a choker?  You think I'm worthless?  You think I'm a "n"?  *.  That's basically what it is.

That said, should everyone stop using it?  Probably.

Just now, Nadine said:

that's weird and also wrong if you are white

im not... I must not display enough blackness on this forum.  You're the second one today to suggest that I am white.  Would you all like to meet me in person to verify my skin tone?

I wonder what it would be like to live through the 50s-60s and hear someone say the n-word today. Would I be desensitized, because white people said it and “it wasn’t a big deal” or would I understand it’s social context even moreso and why it shouldn’t be uttered?

Bob Lamey was a young man when Jim Crow laws were in full swing. Black people being denied access to public restrooms because white people thought they were dirty and carried diseases...That was his generation.

I’m not crucifying Bob Lamey, btw. It’s just something I’ve been thinking about with so many “it’s his generation” comments. 

The word should not be used by anyone.   The best way to make that happen is to make it wrong for anyone of any race to use it.   Otherwise it does get confusing for people.   I'm waiting for the first lighter skinned African American to get fired for using it.  At some point the line will need drawn if we allow it to be OK to be used by African Americans.  

That said, any white person needs to know it is unacceptable language. 

8 minutes ago, csmopar said:

im not... I must not display enough blackness on this forum.  You're the second one today to suggest that I am white.  Would you all like to meet me in person to verify my skin tone?

strange question

OH BOY I typed in Bob Lamey on the internet 2 hours ago and 4-5 stories about this came up. Just typed it in again now it is up to 25-30 stories on the internet (and growing ) about this ……... Is this what he will be remembered for ?????

11 minutes ago, HOF19 said:

OH BOY I typed in Bob Lamey on the internet 2 hours ago and 4-5 stories about this came up. Just typed it in again now it is up to 25-30 stories on the internet (and growing ) about this ……... Is this what he will be remembered for ?????

Sadly, yes. at least in the short term.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DaveA1102 said:

He is old, therefore he gets a pass? That's not the way the world works.

It's the way it used to be therefore it's OK for him to act ways that people today find inappropriate? Nope.

The older generation have a responsibility to act like everybody else does and that is the way society should be.  

What pass did Lamey get?    None.

He lost the job he loved.   He’s humiliated in the city he lives in and now the story has gone national.

All people are asking for is a little compassion and understanding.   That’s what being 80 years old and having a spotless record up to now should get you....

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

What pass did Lamey get?    None.

He list the job he loved.   He’s humiliated in the city he lives in and now the story has gone national.

All people are asking for is a little compassion and understanding.   That’s what being 80 years old should get you....

public figures don’t get to play the “age” card