Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What Resolution Will We Have Thursday?

shakedownstreet

Either way Thursday will involve alot of people talking way more than they normally do....Going to have to bring out the "Wrap it up" box and the "Shut yo mouth" box on ESPN, NFL, ABC, NBC, Fox and anyone else who talks about the situation for the entire day and repeat the same thing over and over and over till they pass out from exhaustion.

none. the opposite even

i see the colts quietly not paying the $28 million dollar bonus. then a frenzy of speculation will build up leading up to & into the free agency period

the media circus hasn't even begun

There will be nothing quiet about anything that happens Thursday.

Albert Breer made a good point on the NFL Network today. He said a big part of the negotiations, maybe more than money, will be that Peyton would have to agree to letting Luck get snaps in practice. Normally, #2 got maybe one series if he was lucky.

I love and respect Manning as much as anyone on this board, and so I can't understand why anyone wants us to keep him so badly. Does anyone really think we can actually win a Super Bowl before he retires? We have the worst roster in the NFL, and it's not even close. Outside of maybe Costanzo, is there anyone on this team that anyone can confidently say will be a significant contributor 3 years from now? Why slowly kill his career here, when he can flourish elsewhere while we go through our necessary rebuilding? I want him to win a Super Bowl or 2 elsewhere, because neither he or anyone else has a snowball's chance in heck to do it here in the next 3 years. We can be great again, as long as we're not obsessed with clinging to the past

none. the opposite even

i see the colts quietly not paying the $28 million dollar bonus. then a frenzy of speculation will build up leading up to & into the free agency period

the media circus hasn't even begun

I think on Thursday the reality of being back where we were in 1998 will hit us all like a ton of bricks. Hope and promise and building it all back up is what we'll have to yell about - I mean civilly discuss - come Thursday.

It was for a really dumb skit they did for Jimmy Fallon's show back in February

I thought it was great because they had fun with their images and dressed like that. The week Jimmy Fallon did his show from Indy was great! And back on topic, nothing may happen, the Colts may re-sign Peyton immediately after cutting him, or another team may swoop in with baskets of money and take him away.......

Like Tom Petty says "the waiting is the hardest part."

I love and respect Manning as much as anyone on this board, and so I can't understand why anyone wants us to keep him so badly. Does anyone really think we can actually win a Super Bowl before he retires? We have the worst roster in the NFL, and it's not even close. Outside of maybe Costanzo, is there anyone on this team that anyone can confidently say will be a significant contributor 3 years from now? Why slowly kill his career here, when he can flourish elsewhere while we go through our necessary rebuilding? I want him to win a Super Bowl or 2 elsewhere, because neither he or anyone else has a snowball's chance in heck to do it here in the next 3 years. We can be great again, as long as we're not obsessed with clinging to the past

I kinda vomit in my mouth a little each time someone says something like this with a straight face.

I kinda vomit in my mouth a little each time someone says something like this with a straight face.

OK, convince me how this team can get anywhere near a Super Bowl in the next 3 years. Because if you do, I'll happily get on board with keeping Manning. But a healthy Manning and this roster would be lucky to get to the playoffs, let alone the Super Bowl. Are we all really that happy with mediocrity after all these years of excellence? Because that's what the dissenters are trying to cling to. The only thing Manning can do for the Colts before he retires is carry us to 8-8, thereby killing the rebuilding process with no rewards. Even if I didn't care about the Colts' long term future, I'd want the team to release Manning for HIS gain

FJC, you should know the answer to my question.

When they fail to pay the option and release him, do the Colts have to wait until the 13th to resign him to another deal (assuming they have worked one out by then)?

If they release him and decline the options he's an unrestricted free agent. If he and Irsay have been working on a new deal. They could release him, decline the option, and sign him all in the same meeting. They don't have to wait till the 8th..

I also wouldn't count on a deal like that.

The roster is better now with a healthy Manning then it was during the 2010-11 season stretch and by a wide margain in fact. O line much improved,that O Line waa awful, running game much better as Donald Brown finally got it last year. Collie is able to play, Clark will be able to play, We finally have a good DT in Nevis, a LB who lead the NFL in tackles in Angerer. DB improvemnt by way of the coming draft and I havent even started on a much improved coaching staff 9Hell most of us on here could do better then Cookie wuss, his time management was the worst i have ever seen and sad thing is he caled the t.o.'s on prurpose which % wise was a proven loser.

Sorry but this team is not only ready to win the South ( Houston is awful and Tenn and Jacks are worse in fact a good NCAA team could win the south) but winning being in the thick of the AFC title race is not only a possibility but a reality (Denver with no QB in the final 4 ? Really).

Calling Cleopatra because thinking Colts aren't competitive is Queen Of Denial talk from an underbridge dwelling creature.

If they release him and decline the options he's an unrestricted free agent. If he and Irsay have been working on a new deal. They could release him, decline the option, and sign him all in the same meeting. They don't have to wait till the 8th..

I also wouldn't count on a deal like that.

So if that doesn't happen in the same meeting (which like you I seriously doubt) the soonest the Colts could then ink a deal with Manning would be the 13th, correct?

I'm just wondering how many days we'll be going through this will they get a deal done or won't they noise

I think that Thursday comes, the option isn't exercised but Irsay says "we're still negotiating" and this drags on and on and on

Except, as it's been pointed out like 6 times in tihs thread already, that can't happen. They MUST either pay the bonus or release him otherwise they take a huge cap hit.

So if that doesn't happen in the same meeting (which like you I seriously doubt) the soonest the Colts could then ink a deal with Manning would be the 13th, correct?

I'm just wondering how many days we'll be going through this will they get a deal done or won't they noise

He could sign with anyone at any time once he's released. I was just using the meeting as an example of how "quickly" it could happen.

He could sign with anyone at any time once he's released. I was just using the meeting as an example of how "quickly" it could happen.

OK, I was just under the assumption that he would have to wait until free agency began but I guess his situation falls under different guidelines

OK, I was just under the assumption that he would have to wait until free agency began but I guess his situation falls under different guidelines

He'd be like Oakland DB that they cut, and has already signed with KC.

Using Reggie as an example. We could resign him right now, but Miami/Arizona or anyone else can't talk to him till the 13th.

The difference is that Reggie's contract expired. Manning's would be terminated if he's cut.

He'd be like Oakland DB that they cut, and has already signed with KC.

Using Reggie as an example. We could resign him right now, but Miami/Arizona or anyone else can't talk to him till the 13th.

The difference is that Reggie's contract expired. Manning's would be terminated if he's cut.

Gotcha, thanks for letting me pick your brain!

OK, convince me how this team can get anywhere near a Super Bowl in the next 3 years. Because if you do, I'll happily get on board with keeping Manning. But a healthy Manning and this roster would be lucky to get to the playoffs, let alone the Super Bowl. Are we all really that happy with mediocrity after all these years of excellence? Because that's what the dissenters are trying to cling to. The only thing Manning can do for the Colts before he retires is carry us to 8-8, thereby killing the rebuilding process with no rewards. Even if I didn't care about the Colts' long term future, I'd want the team to release Manning for HIS gain

Why would I need to do that?

The topic is 'We have the worst roster in the NFL, and it's not even close'.

Or did you want to change the topic because you don't believe it yourself?

...Does anyone really think we can actually win a Super Bowl before he retires?...

Yes. He's done more with less, and now he won't have pain. He took this same team, with a worse offensive line, to 14-2 and a trip to the Super Bowl. He could do it with a bevy of top-of-the-round draft picks and REAL coaches.

Except, as it's been pointed out like 6 times in tihs thread already, that can't happen. They MUST either pay the bonus or release him otherwise they take a huge cap hit.

I understand that. I am saying he'll be cut and then Irsay will say "we're negotiating with Peyton on a new deal"... Pretty clear that's what I was saying.

Even if he's released on Thursday, it's STILL not over. They could simply sign him to a new deal on the 13th. The next 10 days will be ridiculous.

Let me get this straight. If we release him by Thursday we still have until the 13th to work a new deal until other teams come knocking? If Peyton signs with us before the 13th(after being released) he won't know what the other teams would be offering? Seems more likely to me if he is released he would wait until after the 13th to get other offers so he can weigh all his options? If I understand this right:)

Let me get this straight. If we release him by Thursday we still have until the 13th to work a new deal until other teams come knocking? If Peyton signs with us before the 13th(after being released) he won't know what the other teams would be offering? Seems more likely to me if he is released he would wait until after the 13th to get other offers so he can weigh all his options? If I understand this right:)

If I were PM or Tom Condon, as soon as PM is released I would listen to any and all offers, immediately, and take my time deciding on which is most attractive to me, according to the criteria I decide are best.

This can happen immediately because I will have been cut, and my contract will have been terminated, and I won't have to wait until it expires.

If I were PM or Tom Condon, as soon as PM is released I would listen to any and all offers, immediately, and take my time deciding on which is most attractive to me, according to the criteria I decide are best.

This can happen immediately because I will have been cut, and my contract will have been terminated, and I won't have to wait until it expires.

So many teams will be all over him come Thursday? I say that with confidence because I still say no way we are picking up the 28 mil.