Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What do we do at edge?

This edge class is really disappointing with guys like Landry, Key, and Armstrong failing to meet expectations and the two Clemson guys returning to school.  Should we reach on a guy on day 2 when I think no one is really worth the pick if we miss out on Chubb?  If so who?

Roll with what we have.  We need a disruptive 3-tech more than an edge anyway.  Edge's take too long to round the corner and get gassed too quickly.

Edit:  Picking up a rotational player is always a good move.  I'd like to see what our current players can do in the new defense before we commit a high draft pick on an edge, since we have other needs that are more visible.

9 minutes ago, coltsnation said:

This edge class is really disappointing with guys like Landry, Key, and Armstrong failing to meet expectations and the two Clemson guys returning to school.  Should we reach on a guy on day 2 when I think no one is really worth the pick if we miss out on Chubb?  If so who?

Checkout the Joe Ostman link, might be a good late rd

Four good possibilities IMO:

1) Do nothing, except maybe a late guy like Ostman.

2) Take Chubb, if he magically falls to us.

3) Trade down in the 1st and target Landry (the only other guy I really like as a solution).

4) Take Lorenzo Carter in the 2nd.  I kinda like him.  He’s a little more of a project, but he has the athletic traits...

That’s pretty much my order of preference.

22 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

and be near dead last in sacks again?  this draft is not ideal to fix the problem, but we should be open to taking an edge rusher at any point 

Agreed.  Any point has to be justifiable.

Its a rotational position since there's so much passing in the NFL, they get gassed.  Look at the big play in the SB, I don't think the guy who caused the sack fumble late in the game isn't considered elite, but I think he probably had fresh legs.  He also rushed from the inside and didn't waste time running around the T.

If we secure Buffalo's picks 12 and 22 I would use 22 to secure Landry if you think he would fall there.  Personally I think he goes before 22 so if I were Ballard I would trade up from 22 to get him.   It's a premium position and this would be the ideal time to get one when we have the picks to do so.  I think Landry and Davenport will go quickly. 

Pray that Browns take Josh Allen, Giants take Sam Darnold, Jets take Baker Mayfield, Browns take Saquon Barkley, Broncos take either Josh Rosen or Quenton Nelson and Bradley Chubb falls to the Colts. Other than that, let's see how the board falls and what trades take place. As others have said, it's a fairly weak draft for edge rushers.

Lot of exaggerators on here.   Some good names will still be on the board.You can't expect every prospect to be Chubb and Landry level.  What's left after the 1st round is usually guys like this in most drafts.  This draft isn't much different.

Hubbard, Rasheem Green, Josh Sweat, Dorance Armstong, Lorenzo Carter, Ogbonnia Okoronwo,  Javon Rolland Jones, Kemo Turay, Joel Ostman, Arden Key.  And there are others I haven't mentioned.    Stop trying to play like it's bone dry.  There are guys that fit this scheme and guys who can play well who will be left.

• Like 1

In a weird way I don't think it's a huge problem for this year. We have bodies there - we have Sheard who played well last year, we have last year's 3d round pick Basham who will be getting back in a system that suits him better than last year's, we are switching Henry Anderson to a more pass-rushing role, Simon is going to be DE too... I'm not saying we are great or even good there... we are not but we have passable rotational players(something we cannot say about LB or RT for example)... Next year's draft is insane with D-line talent and I would be targeting heavily that one, especially if we can trade back this year and get Miami or Buffalo or Arizona's next year first round pick. 

If we want to add more competition or even high end talent I think there are some nice players that might help - if we trade back to 11-15 and Landry is there I wouldn't mind picking him. In the second  - if we pick Sweat I wouldn't mind it... 3d Turay, Okoronkwo... 5th+ Aruna, Kylie Fitts.... There are good high upside players. 

• Like 1

I say we stick with what we have if we don’t land Chubb. We have too many other needs at positions with good talent in the draft. If we can fix our Guards and LBs, which are both very strong this year, then it will be a success. We can improve in sacks with a new LB core and a stud DT. Sheard is good but the other side is a question mark.

12 minutes ago, Track Guy said:

Josh Sweat is an option. He's got ridiculous athleticism. 

Sweat is a guy I hope we look at later in the draft. I think he could be steal if he develops and takes advantage of his natural ability. 

• Like 1

With our new 4-3 I like Sheard, Basham, Simon, Anderson, and the addition of Autry as pass rushers. 

The biggest need this season is MLB IMO. I hope we draft two in the first three rounds. 

I would love Edmunds or Smith to team with Jewell or Jefferson either of those combos would sure up things at LB for a long while. 

I'm not sure a pass rusher is as big of a need as some of us think. Or, I am not sure that Chris Ballard views it that way.

We were spoiled for so many years with two elite pass rushers in Freeney and Mathis. I'm not sure that Ballard is aiming to find two great rushers like they were. I think Ballard is looking to build depth.

I looked through the Bears and Colts status during the Lovie Smith and Tony Dungy/Jim Caldwell era for those franchises when they ran the same type of defense as the Colts are moving to now. I noticed something about both teams.

Most seasons Freeney/Mathis got the majority of the sacks for the Colts. Raheem Brock had a couple years where he got 5-6 but outside of that I don't think anyone else got over 5 outside of Freeney and Mathis.

The Bears typically had 4 players with 5-10 sacks. Mark Anderson had 12 one year and Julius Peppers had 11 each of the last two years of Lovie's time in Chicago. Chicago had more balance, in terms of getting sacks, compared to the Colts.

I think Ballard will look to get pass rush with balance/depth. That is not to say that he will turn down an elite rusher I just am not sure he views it as the only way they can have good pass rush.

There are some good prospects the Colts can get in rounds 2, 3, and maybe even 4 that can help with the rush. Not likely to find a Dwight Freeney but I don't think they need to.

4 hours ago, krunk said:

You really expect we'll be that bad this year to get guys like that?  I don't

No. That’s not what I meant. I’m just saying those guys are pass rushers who could be available at some point. It’s too early to automatically right them off as guarantor top 10 picks. But next year has a better crop of edge rushers for sure.