Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

That Guy’s Final Mock (full first plus Colts)

1. CLE - Sam Darnold QB

2. NYG - Saquon Barkley RB

3. NYJ - Josh Allen QB

4. CLE - Bradley Chubb DE

5. CHI - Quenton Nelson OG

6. BUF - Baker Mayfield QB

7. TB - Derwin James S

8. DEN - Denzelle Ward CB

9. SF - Minkah Fitzpatrick S/CB

10. OAK - Roquan Smith LB

11. MIA - Josh Rosen QB

12. IND - Tremaine Edmunds LB

13. WAS - Vita Vea NT

14. GB - Calvin Ridley WR

15. ARZ - Lamar Jackson QB

16. BAL - Will Hernandez OG

17. SD - Leighton Vander Esch LB

18. SEA - Josh Jackson CB

19. DAL - DJ Moore WR

20. DET - Marcus Davenport DE

21. CIN - James Daniels C

22. IND - Harold Landry DE

23. NE - Taven Bryan DT

24. CAR - DaRon Payne DT

25. TEN - Rashaan Evans LB

26. ATL - Maurice Hurst DT

27. NO - Dallas Goedert TE

28. PIT - Justin Reid S

29. JAX - Courtland Sutton WR

30. MIN - Mike McGlinchey OT

31. NE - Kolton Miller OT

32. PHI - Mike Hughes CB

33. CLE - Darrius Guice RB

34. NYG - Isaiah Wynn OG

35. CLE - Orlando Brown OT

36. IND - Conner Williams OT

37. IND - Billy Price OG

2 - Carlton Davis CB

3 - Rashaad Penny RB

4 - Fred Warner LB

5 - Bilal Nichols DT

6 - Allen Lazard WR

7 - Brandon Facyson or Michael Joseph CB

Gets us an athletic demon for the middle of our new defense, a pass rusher to make Robert Mathis excited, a new right side for our offensive line, a corner who can do everything we need in our cover 2, a great RB to pair with Mack, a run and chase linebacker who can cover, a DT with some rush traits, an absolute giant with good hands, and a late round CB prospect with upside.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, ColtsGermany said:

I would be ok with that draft. 

But....so excited to watch Thursday to Friday night! 

Love to get Edmunds at 12 and adress the passrush with the trade at 22.

In Ballard we trust :thmup:

I’m looking forward to seeing how it all unfolds!  I want to address LB and pass rush before the second round is over, but this mock let me get it done in the first.  

I think we draft Chubb if he lasts to 6, but I don’t think he’ll make it.

22 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

I thought it was interesting to hear Ballard say the pass rush in this year’s draft was deep.

Maybe it’s not so Chubb or bust” at 6.

Agreed.  There's quite a few worthwhile prospects this year, but I think most of them are on the interior.  I think there's a lot more "pocket pushers" than "edge benders" in this draft. 

7 minutes ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

Mostly agree with the mock but I think SF is more likely to take Edmunds at 12.  Ballard said he sees 8 premium players in the draft.  Assuming 3 in the top 10 like we think then Ballard won’t drop last 11. 

That was one of the difficult ones for me (and BAL, CAR, and NO).  It all depends on how bad things are expected to get for Reuben Foster.  I admit that I don't know a whole lot about his situation, but I guessed that Lynch might double down on his confidence in Foster by getting him help rather than competition. 

7 hours ago, That Guy said:

1. CLE - Sam Darnold QB

2. NYG - Saquon Barkley RB

3. NYJ - Josh Allen QB

4. CLE - Bradley Chubb DE

5. CHI - Quenton Nelson OG

6. BUF - Baker Mayfield QB

7. TB - Derwin James S

8. DEN - Denzelle Ward CB

9. SF - Minkah Fitzpatrick S/CB

10. OAK - Roquan Smith LB

11. MIA - Josh Rosen QB

12. IND - Tremaine Edmunds LB

13. WAS - Vita Vea NT

14. GB - Calvin Ridley WR

15. ARZ - Lamar Jackson QB

16. BAL - Will Hernandez OG

17. SD - Leighton Vander Esch LB

18. SEA - Josh Jackson CB

19. DAL - DJ Moore WR

20. DET - Marcus Davenport DE

21. CIN - James Daniels C

22. IND - Harold Landry DE

23. NE - Taven Bryan DT

24. CAR - DaRon Payne DT

25. TEN - Rashaan Evans LB

26. ATL - Maurice Hurst DT

27. NO - Dallas Goedert TE

28. PIT - Justin Reid S

29. JAX - Courtland Sutton WR

30. MIN - Mike McGlinchey OT

31. NE - Kolton Miller OT

32. PHI - Mike Hughes CB

33. CLE - Darrius Guice RB

34. NYG - Isaiah Wynn OG

35. CLE - Orlando Brown OT

36. IND - Conner Williams OT

37. IND - Billy Price OG

2 - Carlton Davis CB

3 - Rashaad Penny RB

4 - Fred Warner LB

5 - Bilal Nichols DT

6 - Allen Lazard WR

7 - Brandon Facyson or Michael Joseph CB

Gets us an athletic demon for the middle of our new defense, a pass rusher to make Robert Mathis excited, a new right side for our offensive line, a corner who can do everything we need in our cover 2, a great RB to pair with Mack, a run and chase linebacker who can cover, a DT with some rush traits, an absolute giant with good hands, and a late round CB prospect with upside.

I Like it mostly I think Connor may end up being a better Guard than tackle, I'd still like to draft him though and I would change the guys at rounds 5-7 otherwise It would be a good draft

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Zoltan said:

I Like it mostly I think Connor may end up being a better Guard than tackle, I'd still like to draft him though and I would change the guys at rounds 5-7 otherwise It would be a good draft

Thanks!

I think that’s the reason he falls past Cleveland’s two seconds.  They’re needing a left tackle to replace Joe Thomas, and Williams won’t be that guy.  McGlinchey could maybe play left, Miller can play left, Brown can get in shape and play left, Christian can develop into a left, but Miller should be stuck on the right (where I think he can excel).  If Mewhort gets healthy, he might actually fit at RT in the new scheme.

15 hours ago, That Guy said:

Agreed.  There's quite a few worthwhile prospects this year, but I think most of them are on the interior.  I think there's a lot more "pocket pushers" than "edge benders" in this draft. 

IMO I only see 3 or 4 quality interior rushers in this class, and most of the talent is off the edge. I can’t wait until next year, though, because the entire 2019 draft is chock full of players who rush the passer both from outside and inside!

1 hour ago, WarGhost21 said:

IMO I only see 3 or 4 quality interior rushers in this class, and most of the talent is off the edge. I can’t wait until next year, though, because the entire 2019 draft is chock full of players who rush the passer both from outside and inside!

I think the top of the draft is about equal with inside and outside, but the later rounds have few outside rushers.  Meanwhile Nichols, Fatukasi, Hill, Hall, the NC State pair, etc. all give a decent push and will probably go round 4 or later.  With Anderson apparently losing weight to play strong side DE, Sheard playing outside, and Simon gaining weight to play DE; we might need more push up the middle anyway. 

27 minutes ago, Dr. T said:

The Jets will be picking Baker Mayfield at #3 ...  and that will change everything.

I would love to get Edmunds at #12, but he will be long gone by then.

That doesn't actually change much in my mock.  It pretty much just swaps Mayfield and Allen at 3 and 6.

Edmunds has a lot of teams that might take him.  Chicago will take him if Nelson isn't available, but I had them moving up before us for Nelson. 

TB will probably take a DB.

Denver will probably take a DB.

SF might take him if they think Foster will be gone for a while, but I had them taking Fitzpatrick who is another position of need for them. 

Oakland will take Edmunds or Smith, but I had Gruden taking Smith to play as his Derrick Brooks style linebacker.

Miami might take him unless a QB is available, and I still have a good one on the board. 

I don't think it's that unreasonable to think we can move back to 12 and get a top quality player.  It'll be Ward, Smith, Edmunds, Fitzpatrick, or James.

3 hours ago, rock8591 said:

Would love Edmunds and Landry in the first round.

Landry reminds me of Lance Johnstone a bit...

Situational pass rusher, good for 30-40 tackles, 8-12 sacks a year, but not considered to be a great run stopper.

http://www.nfl.com/player/lancejohnstone/2501465/profile

That’s a pretty fair comp, but I’d hope for more.  Johnstone was a decent second round pick, but I really started liking the idea of Landry learning from Mathis and/or Freeney!  I think he has enough raw ability for them to turn him into a monster!

This would be a great draft. The first 7 would all start given the current state of our roster. We get a top 2 LB (Edmunds) and maybe the best coverage LB who can play any LB position (Warner). Williams and price would both start day 1. Landry is the best pure pass rusher and would likely start day 1 unless Basham/Autry outplay him. Davis would probably be our #1 CB opposite Quincy. Penny will start in a committe with Mack, but I think Penny can be our primary back. Lazard may even start as a WR3. 

• Like 1

One thing: I don’t see a team spending the capital to move up in the 1st round to pick a Guard. Chicago won’t do that for Nelson IMO. Maybe for Barkley or Chubb. I still think one of the Big 3 non QBs will fall to the Colts. Then it’s who wants to give up the bank to move into the 6 slot vs picking a big time difference making player. My guess: the Colts stay put and pick Nelson. And I’d be just fine with that. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hoose said:

One thing: I don’t see a team spending the capital to move up in the 1st round to pick a Guard. Chicago won’t do that for Nelson IMO. Maybe for Barkley or Chubb. I still think one of the Big 3 non QBs will fall to the Colts. Then it’s who wants to give up the bank to move into the 6 slot vs picking a big time difference making player. My guess: the Colts stay put and pick Nelson. And I’d be just fine with that. 

Denver has been pretty vocal about wanting to trade back, and 8 to 5 still lets them get the player they want (Ward).

I think Chicago REALLY wants Nelson; and, you even said yourself that if he’s there at 6, we should take him.  Chicago doesn’t seem to have any qualms about trading up to guarantee getting the player they want.

On the point value chart, its a 300 point difference.  Thats just swapping Chicago’s 2 for Denver’s 3.  Chicago gives pick 8 and their second and sixth for Denver’s pick 5 and their third.

38 minutes ago, Hoose said:

Agreed, that was one of the first things I noticed. It would never happen.

Good mock though , and I appreciate the post. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Trueman said:

Agreed, that was one of the first things I noticed. It would never happen.

Good mock though , and I appreciate the post. 

Thanks, but I’m not so sure the trade is so far-fetched.  We’ve already been linked to Chicago for a trade up.  In fact, we already have a thread on the subject:

There’s a player they want, and they are willing to trade up to get them.  If they’re willing to trade with us, why is it so difficult to imagine them trading up to the spot directly ahead of us?  They don’t need a quarterback, Chubb doesn’t fit their 3-4, they don’t need Barkley; who else is going to be gone by pick 8?  I think they want Nelson, and the move won’t cost nearly as mch as what we stole from the Jets.