Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Frank Reich Rejects the Notion of a Rebuild

NannyMcafee

On 3/29/2018 at 3:01 PM, braveheartcolt said:

Is that the joke Grigson team that went to the playoffs 3 years on the bounce. Haters forget the good times, as they revel in the bad. 

That wasn't a good team. Yes, they made the playoffs 3 years in a row but mainly because of Luck. The good times were good but let's not forget that he's the same guy who took Phillip Dorsett over Landon Collins.

20 hours ago, Peterk2011 said:

If your questions are for the right now, I say no. No game changers on defense, and lact of game changers on offense.

But right now is right now, and things can change very quickly. I believe Hooker is a game changer in the making. I think Wilson will be waay better than most expect. I think Anderson is still a hidden gem, who was unlucky so far in his carreer, but now he has the potential for a huge breakout season. (In his 3-4 games befose his injury last year he was fantastic. I hope he can build on that.) Geather's is a risky bet because of his history of injuries, but if he can stay healthy, I believe he can be one of the better strong safeties in the league.

On the offense, I think Doyle is an undervalued assett to this offense. And our oline - altough far from being elite - is not as bad as it looked last year. Injuries decimated them. Having 6 people starting at center tells everything. If they (well, most of them) can stay healthy, I can imagine a nice jump in on field performance. 

If Ballard can find a good #2 WR (Meredith, maybe trading for Martavis Bryant, or drafting a guy who fits), and can find a Hunt / Howard / Kamara - which is not impossible with such many picks and soo many good RB prospects, I think there is a realistic chance that we will see a number of game changers on both defense and offense by the end of the season.

Agree and have said before that we arent as stinkin bad as many say. I think this season will be telling from an injury standpoint what we have. If Geathers misses time again, writing on the wall for him. Hooker, well, probably only see his rookie contract with us. Oline imo will be a crapshoot once again and holding faith some will stay healthy. I think depth at oline, wr, and lb will be addressed in draft. Someone mentioned a Kamara type back, that guy is Hines from NC State this year. I like StBrown and Cobbs at wr. LB corp needs a stud with losses of Mingo n Bostic. Get er did C Ball.

On 01/04/2018 at 5:48 AM, colt18 said:

That wasn't a good team. Yes, they made the playoffs 3 years in a row but mainly because of Luck. The good times were good but let's not forget that he's the same guy who took Phillip Dorsett over Landon Collins.

So bad teams get to the playoffs 3 years on the trott. Ok. Oh, and Luck is a part of the team. It's like saying the Patriots only won 5 because of Brady. Change your moniker to Hindsight18.

On 3/31/2018 at 6:59 PM, oldunclemark said:

Coach Frank is right...'rebuild' is a built in excuse if you go 8-8.

.....you have to be looking to be a playoff team every year if you have the QB...and we do..

Besides, , other than Mr. Irsay, a lot of folks talking about a 'rebuild'; wont still be here if it takes 2 or 3 years.

Translated:? If we don't make the playoffs the next 2 years..we'll have a new GM and coach..and they both know it.

Breh it took Irsay like 15 years to fire Grigson....what makes you think he's gonna fire Ballard after 2 if they don't make the playoffs?

5 hours ago, braveheartcolt said:

So bad teams get to the playoffs 3 years on the trott. Ok. Oh, and Luck is a part of the team. It's like saying the Patriots only won 5 because of Brady. Change your moniker to Hindsight18.

Bad teams get to the playoffs every year. 

The Colts and Pats are two completely different situations. Not one person would say that Brady is the sole reason for winning 5 SBs when he had a good infrastructure around him. The Colts clearly overachieved with his terrible infrastructure, I don't think there is one person who believes we would have won a SB with Pagano.

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 5:06 PM, Alex22 said:

Coaching will play a big part in creating that game changer you speak of. 

Really? How is that known?  I have news for you. Taking for granted a change in a whole coaching staff automatically makes a team better is something way too pre mature to know. It could just as easily turn for the worse. I been around long enough to see it happen.

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 12:48 AM, colt18 said:

I have some earth breaking news for you. Luck did not take us to three 11-5 seasons by himself.

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Really? How is that known?  I have news for you. Taking for granted a change in a whole coaching staff automatically makes a team better is something way too pre mature to know. It could just as easily turn for the worse. I been around long enough to see it happen.

I don't care how long you been around. 

It is proven that a change in coaching staff, culture, scheme will change  player. 

I could sit here all day and quote teams that have dominated after a coaching change. 

3 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I have some earth breaking news for you. Luck did not take us to three 11-5 seasons by himself.

Oh?

Was it the stellar defense?

Or the spectacular running game?

Or the great coaching by Pagano?

lmao

18 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Here are the rules:

When we win, it's because of  1) our QB,  2) our weak division,  3) weak opponent

When we lose, it's because of  1) bad coaching,  2) lack of talent,  2) we suck

When we acquire a FA, it's.... 1) they suck,  2) we overpaid,  3) just a camp body

When we don't acquire a FA it's....1) We didn't try,  2) we're too cheap  3), no one wants to come here

Once you assimilate the rules, you will join the zombie legion of frustrated fans. (numbers are swelling)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Alex22 said:

I don't care how long you been around. 

It is proven that a change in coaching staff, culture, scheme will change  player. 

I could sit here all day and quote teams that have dominated after a coaching change. 

I don't have to go past the Colts themselves to show you wrong. Take a good look at the Colts history.

21 hours ago, braveheartcolt said:

Yes. The division was by all means, Braveheartcolt, appalling.

Take that same team and run it through the current state of the division and the results will not be the same.  

Luck put the team on his back, yes, just like Greg Jennings. 

Trott on by my friend :FlamingoDancing:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

I don't have to go past the Colts themselves to show you wrong. Take a good look at the Colts history.

When was the last time we had an offensive minded HC??

Oh we went to the SuperBowl. 

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

What has that have to do with a coaching change not automatically bringing wins?

The Colts history of coaching changes? 

Caldwell coached us to a Superbowl. 

To get to a Superbowl you need to win.

IT was almost an undefeated season

I'm not sure what else I can say that means wins??

Everytime you beat someone on the scoreboard you win?

26 minutes ago, Alex22 said:

The Colts history of coaching changes? 

Caldwell coached us to a Superbowl. 

To get to a Superbowl you need to win.

IT was almost an undefeated season

I'm not sure what else I can say that means wins??

Everytime you beat someone on the scoreboard you win?

I said the history of the Colts. They have a lot more history than Caldwell.

Would you like me to list of all the head coaches of the Colts and show you my point?  I have news for you. The list of the coaches just for the Colts with a losing history is longer than those with winning history.

If you dig deeper into the NFL you will see coaching changes does not mean automatically more wins.

33 minutes ago, Alex22 said:

Yes. The division was by all means, Braveheartcolt, appalling.

Take that same team and run it through the current state of the division and the results will not be the same.  

Luck put the team on his back, yes, just like Greg Jennings. 

Trott on by my friend :FlamingoDancing:

The Division last season was weak and our 2014 team would've won the Division last season because Luck had a career year. The Jags went 10-6 and it was a 2 team race between them and a mediocre team in Tennessee who went 9-7. The Colts and Texans both weren't even in the equation due to not having their starting QB's. So are you saying a 2 team Division is worth bragging about winning? The Pats team that the Jags played last season wasn't near as great as the one Colts played either in 2014. The Pats were much more focused in 2014 and their Defense was stacked. So the Jags playing them better is irrelevant as well. Our 2014 team has been the best team in the Division all decade actually. Whether people want to acknowledge that, that is their problem. People want to keep protecting Blake Bortles like he's Johnny Unitas or something and think they have a Defense like the 2000 Ravens lmao. It's really quite hilarious. :billiejean:

2 hours ago, Four2itus said:

Here are the rules:

When we win, it's because of  1) our QB,  2) our weak division,  3) weak opponent

When we acquire a FA, it's.... 1) they suck,  2) we overpaid,  3) just a camp body

When we don't acquire a FA it's....1) We didn't try,  2) we're too cheap 3),  no one wants to come here

Once you assimilate the rules, you will join the zombie legion of frustrated fans. (numbers are swelling)

Terrific Post and very true. We win it's because the Opponent's stink by the opinions of some, Jags win it's because they are Great lmao. Hell anyone that had a half a team could've won our Division last season by default when 2 teams were eliminated early(Colts/Texans) and the other team doesn't even have the capability to win 10 games(Titans)

50 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I said the history of the Colts. They have a lot more history than Caldwell.

Would you like me to list of all the head coaches of the Colts and show you my point?  I have news for you. The list of the coaches just for the Colts with a losing history is longer than those with winning history.

If you dig deeper into the NFL you will see coaching changes does not mean automatically more wins.

Nfl ain’t the same as it was 100 years ago boi.

No team makes the AFC championship game by being a bad team. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Four2itus said:

Here are the rules:

When we don't acquire a FA it's....1) We didn't try,  2) we're too cheap  3), no one wants to come here

This is a hilariously short minded post.

With a healthy Luck, we usually beat terrible teams (divisional rivals) and lose to good teams. (Steelers/Pats) Every now and then we beat good teams. (Seahawks/Broncos) I've never seen a game where we won due to Pagano's coaching, although I have seen him lose games for us. I have seen few FAs work out for us (Erik Walden. Frank Gore), I've seen many fail (Andre Johnson, Kamar Aiken, LaRon Landry...). 

I don't understand why some of you refuse to admit that that 2014 Colts team was bad, even if Luck took them to the AFCCG to get blown out. It just doesn't make sense.

16 minutes ago, colt18 said:

This is a hilariously short minded post.

With a healthy Luck, we usually beat terrible teams (divisional rivals) and lose to good teams. (Steelers/Pats) Every now and then we beat good teams. (Seahawks/Broncos) I've never seen a game where we won due to Pagano's coaching, although I have seen him lose games for us. I have seen few FAs work out for us (Erik Walden. Frank Gore), I've seen many fail (Andre Johnson, Kamar Aiken, LaRon Landry...). 

I don't understand why some of you refuse to admit that that 2014 Colts team was bad, even if Luck took them to the AFCCG to get blown out. It just doesn't make sense.

Your definition of Bad is strange. Any team that makes the AFC Title Game is Good if not Very Good. As much as I dislike the Jags I have to admit they are Good now. In 2015 we had a ton of injuries including losing Luck and it set us back, not to mention Grigson signing old guys like Andre Johnson and Trent Cole that did nothing. Even if you think Chuck stunk up the joint, that Roster wasn't that bad in 2014. We still had Reggie who was Good, TY was a Beast that season as well. On Defense Redding was a quality D. Lineman, Vontae was Great back then too, and Mike Adams was Great. We also had the best SPTeams in the league with Vinny and Pat. We beat Denver in MileHigh as an 8 point underdog in the Divisional Round, a place Denver rarely loses and Peyton even got them a 7-0 lead. Von Miller was healthy too. We didn't have a Running game was the Bad part of our team so Luck had to carry us more than he should've. A guy like Russell Wilson for example was lucky because he had Lynch.

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Your definition of Bad is strange. Any team that makes the AFC Title Game is Good if not Very Good. As much as I dislike the Jags I have to admit they are Good now. In 2015 we had a ton of injuries including losing Luck and it set us back, not to mention Grigson signing old guys like Andre Johnson and Trent Cole that did nothing. Even if you think Chuck stunk up the joint, that Roster wasn't that bad in 2014. We still had Reggie who was Good, TY was a Beast that season as well. On Defense Redding was a quality D. Lineman, Vontae was Great back then too, and Mike Adams was Great. We also had the best SPTeams in the league with Vinny and Pat. We beat Denver in MileHigh as an 8 point underdog in the Divisional Round, a place Denver rarely loses and Peyton even got them a 7-0 lead. Von Miller was healthy too. We didn't have a Running game was the Bad part of our team so Luck had to carry us more than he should've. A guy like Russell Wilson for example was lucky because he had Lynch.

False. Just because you made the title game, it doesn't make you good (ESPECIALLY IF YOU GET BLOWN OUT). You might have had a point if we won, but we didn't and you don't.

The Jags weren't good. They had a good defense, good RB, below average QB. 

Lets take a look at the teams we played:

Bengals: typically overachieving team, this was the 4th (!!!) opening round loss in a row for them, Andy Dalton sucked like usual

Broncos: literally the beginning of the end for Peyton, his struggles were the main reason we won. Yes, we played well but this was a terrible game from Peyton, not an amazing game from us.

Pats: We got destroyed in every facet of the game. We lost 45-7, couldn't even hang from the beginning.

We pretty much got lucky with the Bengals/Broncos and get smashed by the Pats. This was bad team that got carried much further than they would have without Luck, much like Peyton towards the end of his tenure with us.

2 minutes ago, colt18 said:

False. Just because you made the title game, it doesn't make you good (ESPECIALLY IF YOU GET BLOWN OUT). You might have had a point if we won, but we didn't and you don't.

The Jags weren't good. They had a good defense, good RB, below average QB. 

Lets take a look at the teams we played:

Bengals: typically overachieving team, this was the 4th (!!!) opening round loss in a row for them, Andy Dalton sucked like usual

Broncos: literally the beginning of the end for Peyton, his struggles were the main reason we won. Yes, we played well but this was a terrible game from Peyton, not an amazing game from us.

Pats: We got destroyed in every facet of the game. We lost 45-7, couldn't even hang from the beginning.

We pretty much got lucky with the Bengals/Broncos and get smashed by the Pats. This was bad team that got carried much further than they would have without Luck, much like Peyton towards the end of his tenure with us.

You cant say it was a Bad team because you have to include Luck being on the Roster. The QB is the most important position on the field and he had a career season in 2014. I also just gave you 7 other names that were Good - Great players that season too. Were we a Great team - far from it but we were a Good team that just got manhandled by the Pats who were a Great team that went on to win the SB. JMO

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You cant say it was a Bad team because you have to include Luck being on the Roster. The QB is the most important position on the field and he had a career season in 2014. I also just gave you 7 other names that were Good - Great players that season too. Were we a Great team - far from it but we were a Good team that just got manhandled by the Pats who were a Great team that went on to win the SB. JMO

Maybe not a bad team but not a good team either. And FYI, just because you have a good QB, it doesn't mean you have a good team.

You named 2 WRs, a CB, a S, a DL, a K and a P and are trying to tell me that makes a good team....sorry man. It doesn't because we weren't. A good team is more than 8 players, it takes an entire infrastructure to really make a good team (look at the Eagles last season, good players and coaches everywhere). 

4 minutes ago, colt18 said:

Maybe not a bad team but not a good team either. And FYI, just because you have a good QB, it doesn't mean you have a good team.

You named 2 WRs, a CB, a S, a DL, a K and a P and are trying to tell me that makes a good team....sorry man. It doesn't because we weren't. A good team is more than 8 players, it takes an entire infrastructure to really make a good team (look at the Eagles last season, good players and coaches everywhere). 

I get what you are saying there but to me Philly has a Great team. There is a huge difference between Good, Very Good, and Great IMO. Ok I gave you only 8 players but just imagine had Robert Mathis (he was on that Roster) been healthy and played in that AFC Title Game? Or just add 1 more player like a Good RB to that Roster? I bet the Pats don't beat us 45-7. That is basically just having 10 solid players.

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I get what you are saying there but to me Philly has a Great team. There is a huge difference between Good, Very Good, and Great IMO. Ok I gave you only 8 players but just imagine had Robert Mathis (he was on that Roster) been healthy and played in that AFC Title Game? Or just add 1 more player like a Good RB to that Roster? I bet the Pats don't beat us 45-7. That is basically just having 10 solid players.

Even then, that's still just 10 solid players out of 53 total players...plus an average coach/front office. We can't win a Super Bowl with that unless we get lucky like the 2012 Ravens.

7 minutes ago, colt18 said:

Even then, that's still just 10 solid players out of 53 total players...plus an average coach/front office. We can't win a Super Bowl with that unless we get lucky like the 2012 Ravens.

I have learned in sports over the years a lot of winning it all, luck is involved. I have, like you have seen better teams lose in a lot of games. Lucky bounces/breaks, etc.. A team can have a Great Roster and still lose to a team that is basically just Good in a lot of area's. Case in point Pats/Giants in 2007. Also Colts/Steelers in 2005.

1 hour ago, colt18 said:

That is completely irrelevant to what I said.

Your very words.