Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Let's not forget

10 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Colts dont make me miserable. If anything bothers me its the ignorant naive homers that cant see whats gping on.

I'm sorry to tell you, but the fans that want to throw crazy money at free agents during the time that above average players are getting paid like elite players are the ignorant naive ones...

To sell a free agent, you're using money, location, playing time, chance to win...With top level free agents, i think we can agree playing time is a wash across all franchises...I love Indy personally, but selling a free agent on living here as opposed to say Florida isn't exactly easy

So let's isolate the Norwell signing...Our pitch is "come to a team that went 4-12 last year instead of a team that went the AFC Championship game last year.  The weather and the night life sucks compared to other NFL cities, but that's ok, because we have a QB that hasn't thrown a football in over a  year. And sure we have a state income tax,(how's that for being a homer?)

Bottom line, to get Norwell at equal money, we have to pay 15-16 million a year for a non-premium position to a player that's had exactly one above average season...And that's if we get him to ignore all the other factors...

Posts have been edited & removed. Remember political posts are are not allowed in the forum. That is also clearly stated in the forum rules & expectaions that all posters sign off on to become a member. Not sure why this is so difficult. There is no shortage of places to debate politics on the intenet. 

This is a place to debate & argue about football & the Colts!!!

So lets get back to pounding the table about free agency!!!

:rock:

2 hours ago, jlid said:

I'm sorry to tell you, but the fans that want to throw crazy money at free agents during the time that above average players are getting paid like elite players are the ignorant naive ones...

To sell a free agent, you're using money, location, playing time, chance to win...With top level free agents, i think we can agree playing time is a wash across all franchises...I love Indy personally, but selling a free agent on living here as opposed to say Florida isn't exactly easy

So let's isolate the Norwell signing...Our pitch is "come to a team that went 4-12 last year instead of a team that went the AFC Championship game last year.  The weather and the night life sucks compared to other NFL cities, but that's ok, because we have a QB that hasn't thrown a football in over a  year. And sure we have a state income tax,(how's that for being a homer?)

Bottom line, to get Norwell at equal money, we have to pay 15-16 million a year for a non-premium position to a player that's had exactly one above average season...And that's if we get him to ignore all the other factors...

I get your point on Norwell and agree.

However, if Cleveland can attract Free Agents going 0-16, with their history, and their city, well then there's no excuse for Indy.

4 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Well exactly what developed talent do the Colts have at this point under Ballard?  What developed talent is he trying to keep? He has only been here a year and no one he drafted really looks like a sure fire hit.  Hooker has promise but also an ACL injury now.  Mack isn’t a franchise back...but a nice change of pace.  Colts need to infuse this roster with more playmakers by all means available to them and that includes free agency. Just because Griggson and some other GMs were bad at using free agency doesn’t mean it can’t be utilized effectively to establish a young talent base for a rebuilding franchise. 

Exactly. Times have changed and unfortunately, J'Ville gets it and is doing it the right way.  Coughlin knows what he is doing. It will be tough to compete with them for the next 4 or 5 years.

7 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Well exactly what developed talent do the Colts have at this point under Ballard?  What developed talent is he trying to keep? He has only been here a year and no one he drafted really looks like a sure fire hit.  Hooker has promise but also an ACL injury now.  Mack isn’t a franchise back...but a nice change of pace.  Colts need to infuse this roster with more playmakers by all means available to them and that includes free agency. Just because Griggson and some other GMs were bad at using free agency doesn’t mean it can’t be utilized effectively to establish a young talent base for a rebuilding franchise. 

He's only had one draft so we will learn what he can develop in the next 2-3 years. Aside from that Hairston seems to be a steal since he started Nickel and was drafted 5th round, Hooker looked fantastic before his injury and Wilson and Basham weren't used right, and fit the new defensive scheme better than the old scheme, So we will see if they take a step up this season. Ya'll need to chill

21 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

He's only had one draft so we will learn what he can develop in the next 2-3 years. Aside from that Hairston seems to be a steal since he started Nickel and was drafted 5th round, Hooker looked fantastic before his injury and Wilson and Basham weren't used right, and fit the new defensive scheme better than the old scheme, So we will see if they take a step up this season. Ya'll need to chill

hooker needs to do more to be fantasitc

he had like three good plays and a lot of poor/bad ones 

20 hours ago, MightyLucks said:

Little different. Those guys were aging vets. The guys most of us are talking about are young and have the prime of their careers ahead of them. 

You mean like Samson Satele, Winston Justice, Mike McGlynn, Laron Landry adn Trent Richardson?

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

hooker needs to do more to be fantasitc

he had like three good plays and a lot of poor/bad ones 

You are just looking for reasons to be negative, He brings a dynamic playmaking ability that we don't otherwise have, before his injury, and when you look at some of his stats theirs great promise, when he played single high safety his coverage was targeted 8 times out of those 8, 3 of them were intercepted and 1 was defended. So as a rookie I would call that fantastic because you know he is gonna get better also with his short amount of time playing he still tied for most interceptions on the team.

6 hours ago, jlid said:

.I love Indy personally, but selling a free agent on living here as opposed to say Florida isn't exactly easy

A conclusion like this is usually drawn from ones own personal view of what is attractive. How would anyone know what any player wants or doesn't want? FA's are usually vets who might have a family, and that weighs in on their decision. 

I would not live in Florida for any reason. But that doesn't mean that I use that as a filter as to what someone else might want. 

20 hours ago, Zoltan said:

Are you crazy Personally I would rather have a hitter that got on base than go for the HR every time and get struck out most of the time.

If you want Grigson back because he tried and failed miserably that's just ridiculous, you might want to try being a fan of Miami who make a lot of big FA signings, lose there developed talent because of those big signings and end up cutting the big names 1 or 2 years into the contracts.

Maybe it felt wrong not to swing. 

No we weren't. And I don't understand why anyone would think we were. We signed a bunch of old guys that were past their prime. Winning FA would be like (Using guys from this years class) if we'd brought in like.... Andrew Norwell, Allen Robinson, Malcolm Butler, and Avery Williamson to go along with a couple vets that still balled out like Josh Sitton.