Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Talk about Eye Candy...

LJpalmbeacher2

31 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

I cut my football teeth watching this guy at Memorial stadium.

On the playground, I "was" Bert Jones, complete with #7 jersey.

My older brother had a girlfriend that worked in a shop that made T-Shirts. So he had some custom made for me with #7 and 'Jones' on the back. In colts blue and good quality material. I would play in the park with my other brother and cousin. I was QB of course. I don't even think I even knew authentic team jerseys were available then lol.

Man that was my childhood.  When my dad didn't take me to the game I would listen to the radio and daydream.  We played tackle in the streets running into people cars and breaking antennas.  I was a "big boned" black kid with a Roger Carr jersey living my fantasy....lol

2 minutes ago, cgi4life said:

Man that was my childhood.  When my dad didn't take me to the game I would listen to the radio and daydream.  We played tackle in the streets running into people cars and breaking antennas.  I was a "big boned" black kid with a Roger Carr jersey living my fantasy....lol

Had the Bert Jones uniform! Would put it on with all the equipment and go out and play ball with my cousins all day! Best of times. We had a Steve Bartkowski,Earl Campbell,Harold Carmichael, Franco Harris,Ken Stabler, Steve Largent, Art Monk, and Roger Staurback! I always rocked the shoe though!!

18 minutes ago, cgi4life said:

Just curious... Baltimore roll-call.  Any other members born in Bmore.  Myself south Baltimore (Hamberg/Sharp street, later we moved to Park Height/Riestertown Rd area

I was born, raised, and lived in West Palm Beach my whole life. But my mom was raised in Baltimore and was her hometown. We went for visits when i was younger. I onced stayed there for 6 weeks AND once for 10 months!

Stayed in Towson area on York Rd. If you drove toward downtown York Rd. turned into Greenmount Ave. and you would pass by old Memorial Stadium on 33rd St. I watched lots of Orioles games there but sadly never a Colt game.

There was a Red Light district called "the Block" downtown. There was a place called Polock Johnny's and they had the greatest hot dogs & sausages. Oh my God how great they were. 

2 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I was born, raised, and lived in West Palm Beach my whole life. But my mom was raised in Baltimore and was her hometown. We went for visits when i was younger. I onced stayed there for 6 weeks AND once for 10 months!

Stayed in Towson area on York Rd. If you drove toward downtown York Rd. turned into Greenmount Ave. and you would pass by old Memorial Stadium on 33rd St. I watched lots of Orioles games there but sadly never a Colt game.

There was a Red Light district called "the Block" downtown. There was a place called Polock Johnny's and they had the greatest hot dogs & sausages. Oh my God how great they were. 

Yes the "Block" and Polock Johnny's was the best. Alot of memories.

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

My older brother had a girlfriend that worked in a shop that made T-Shirts. So he had some custom made for me with #7 and 'Jones' on the back. In colts blue and good quality material. I would play in the park with my other brother and cousin. I was QB of course. I don't even think I even knew authentic team jerseys were available then lol.

In 6th grade shop class we did silk screening one week.  I did #7 shirts, jerseys...: heck, i even did a pillow case with an image of him throwing . I screened images on anything not nailed down it seems.  I still have that pillowcase.  I also found a report i did in 3rd grade (i think) that was a "what i wanna do when i grow up" type thing.

my report was that i wanted to be one of two things when i "grew up."

1. Play QB for the Baltimore Colts.

2. Truck Driver

what i didnt realize at the time is that i could have incorporated both had i went to work for the Mayflower Company.

3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Even Bill Belichick said Bert was the best pure passer he has ever seen.

Not meaning to bring anything Patriots into the thread but that is some pretty high praise from Belichick. He has been around a few good ones so I do respect his opinion on QBs.

When asked who was the Best QB he ever saw(reporters thought he would answer brady, montana, elway etc..) he said "Bert Jones was tough to beat". So Belichek not all bad.lol 

3 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Ok, ok. Here's some eye candy you guys expected:https://goo.gl/images/UnaufV

You're alright in my book LJ2. Seriously though, it's cool to hear about what Jones meant to you growing up. I like the background stories & momentoes you & others made honoring Bert when you were in your formative yrs. Great video at the beginning too. Nice summary on how great & tough he really was. 

You've got a tremendous eye for QB excellence & your attention to detail for desserts ain't too shabby either. 

All kidding aside, well done LJ. 

Thoughts:

As stated by others, Belichick called Jones the best pure passer he ever saw.

Those darn Steelers!

I miss the C-O-L-T-S COLTS! Chant (didn’t they do it in Indy for a bit but added COLTS COLTS COLTS at the end) ? 

Bert said he would always regret missing a wide-open Chester in that double overtime game.

I was at that NE game when they were down 21-3 but came back to win).

Saw Bert throw a LASER across his body to Raymond Chester, man he had a rifle!

Roger Carr used to chase dear to build up his speed and cuts.

Can’t forget the Sack Pack!!!

I wanna hang out in this thread. I love hearing the old time stories. Since my mom was only 1 when Burt Jones was drafted I had no idea who that was until I watched those highlights. Man what a player. The game looked soo much different from what I'm used to seeing. The game is so, clean now lol.  I can only image what the NFL will look like when in 40 years..

This is why I loath GOAT arguments - especially when it comes to football and specific positions. Too many variables to take into account. 

They called the game too differently back then. There are QBs today that would not have survived back in the 60's and 70's.

1 minute ago, Pelt said:

This is why I loath GOAT arguments - especially when it comes to football and specific positions. Too many variables to take into account. 

They called the game too differently back then. There are QBs today that would not have survived back in the 60's and 70's.

Exactly. I was into the whole Brady vs Manning thing ten years ago. Because it was about the "best now." for 3 years now the media has been on this tear of GOAT. Lets talk about the now

55 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

I wanna hang out in this thread. I love hearing the old time stories. Since my mom was only 1 when Burt Jones was drafted I had no idea who that was until I watched those highlights. Man what a player. The game looked soo much different from what I'm used to seeing. The game is so, clean now lol.  I can only image what the NFL will look like when in 40 years..

Now you can get an idea of why us "old timers" sometimes scoff at todays games. I miss those games played in the mud and snow on natural grass. (or what was left of it)  QBs were not protected like today. The players of today are a lot more athletic but the players of then were tougher.

The first player ever to sign a million dollar contract was Bruce Matthews in 1983 (a tackle who played 19 years) no less. The first QB who signed a million dollar contract was John Elway in 1883 after Bruce Matthews signed.

1 hour ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

I wont be around in 40 years but it could very well be played by robots. I know it sounds crazy but the days of violence in sports are slowly going away.

12 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

I cut my football teeth watching this guy at Memorial stadium.

On the playground, I "was" Bert Jones, complete with #7 jersey.

In 1978, had a Colts T-shirt with number blue 7 sewed on. I don't like seeing any Colt player wearing that number.

11 hours ago, coltsfan77 said:

Had posters of Jones on my wall as a kid!! My favorite QB by far at that time. He was Elway before Elway but better. Career cut short, would have been great to see what could have been! 

Had those nice 70's poster of him in Blue uniform and Lydall Mitchell.

Wow, thank you so much!  I watched the colts on TV when possible, but was too young to really appreciate his talent at the time.  What an amazing arm and the dude could run, too.  I'm sure that reckless abandon contributed to shortening his career, but how cool to watch a QB take on a tackler instead of skipping out of bounds.

That video brought back lots of great memories of great Colts players.  I miss the big pads, the mud, the grass, the shoulder stripes that went under the arms, too...