Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Defjamz First Post-Super Bowl Mock Offseason

Don’t think the new HC will affect draft plans much. The focus of the draft for Ballard will be defense again and our DC and scheme is already set. The theme here is to add building blocks for the new 4-3 and strengthen the OL once and for all. I’ve let off some needs that will be addressed in 2019 and aren’t as pressing

Colts Re-Sign:

Adam Vinateri, 2 years 

Donte Moncrief, 1 year

FA:

Andrew Norwell OG, 5 years- We have the money to pay him and he’s the day 1 starter at LG

Anthony Hitchens LB, 4 years- A familiar face for Eberflus who can start immediately at MLB and be the defensive captain.

Martavis Bryant WR, 1 year- Ballard seems to like big body, outside receivers as he tried to acquire Alshon Jeffrey last of-season. Bryant has to prove he won’t be a distraction and be a better teammate before any team throws him serious money

Draft:

R1: Bradley Chubb, DE NC State- The foundation of our 4-3 starts here. Relentless motor and great hands. With Simon better suited to play off-ball, I think he would start across from Sheard. Culture changer on defense

R2: Will Hernandez, OG UTEP- Another guy who can bring a culture of toughness and set the tone. He’s a mailer in the run game and plays nasty. He’s 2nd only to Nelson in terms of demeanor. Instant starter at RG

R3: Jerome Baker, OLB OSU- The 4-3 demands for an athletic WILL and Baker is perfect for this role. He’s rangy and super athletic and is today’s NFL LB. He starts.

R4: Josey Jewell, OLB Iowa- One of my favorite players in the draft. He’s been a beast since 2016. His production is crazy. 135 tackles (13.5 TFL), 4 sacks, 11 PBUs, and 2 INTs this past season. He’ll have a pedestrian 40 time but he’s great in zone and has rare instincts. And his pro comparison from Zierlein? Sean Lee. Eberflus will be thrilled. He’ll start at SAM

R5: Josh Adams, RB Notre Dame- And underrated RB who was very productive at Notre Dame. The depth of this class will push him down. But, at 6’2”, 220 he’s a perfect piece to team with Mack. He’s also got some hands in the passing game.

R6: Dane Cruikshank, CB Arizona- a developmental corner with the length that Ballard likes at 6’1”. Impressed at the EWS game. Should be great on STs early on

R7: KC McDermott, OT/G Miami- Zach Banner part 2. He’s 6’7” with long arms but has more technique. Solid depth lineman who will enter the RT competition.

Didnt draft any WRs because I didn’t see the value for the prototype that Ballard likes. I also didn’t sign a RT because I think you let Good, Haeg, Clarke, and McDermott battle it out for the spot. New offense will help the line anyways. I’m hoping to have a Saints-sequel draft and knock the first 3-4 picks out the park.

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Don’t think the new HC will affect draft plans much. The focus of the draft for Ballard will be defense again and our DC and scheme is already set. The theme here is to add building blocks for the new 4-3 and strengthen the OL once and for all. I’ve let off some needs that will be addressed in 2019 and aren’t as pressing

Colts Re-Sign:

Adam Vinateri, 2 years 

Donte Moncrief, 1 year

FA:

Andrew Norwell OG, 5 years- We have the money to pay him and he’s the day 1 starter at LG

Anthony Hitchens LB, 4 years- A familiar face for Eberflus who can start immediately at MLB and be the defensive captain.

Martavis Bryant WR, 1 year- Ballard seems to like big body, outside receivers as he tried to acquire Alshon Jeffrey last of-season. Bryant has to prove he won’t be a distraction and be a better teammate before any team throws him serious money

Draft:

R1: Bradley Chubb, DE NC State- The foundation of our 4-3 starts here. Relentless motor and great hands. With Simon better suited to play off-ball, I think he would start across from Sheard. Culture changer on defense

R2: Will Hernandez, OG UTEP- Another guy who can bring a culture of toughness and set the tone. He’s a mailer in the run game and plays nasty. He’s 2nd only to Nelson in terms of demeanor. Instant starter at RG

R3: Jerome Baker, OLB OSU- The 4-3 demands for an athletic WILL and Baker is perfect for this role. He’s rangy and super athletic and is today’s NFL LB. He starts.

R4: Josey Jewell, OLB Iowa- One of my favorite players in the draft. He’s been a beast since 2016. His production is crazy. 135 tackles (13.5 TFL), 4 sacks, 11 PBUs, and 2 INTs this past season. He’ll have a pedestrian 40 time but he’s great in zone and has rare instincts. And his pro comparison from Zierlein? Sean Lee. Eberflus will be thrilled. He’ll start at SAM

R5: Josh Adams, RB Notre Dame- And underrated RB who was very productive at Notre Dame. The depth of this class will push him down. But, at 6’2”, 220 he’s a perfect piece to team with Mack. He’s also got some hands in the passing game.

R6: Dane Cruikshank, CB Arizona- a developmental corner with the length that Ballard likes at 6’1”. Impressed at the EWS game. Should be great on STs early on

R7: KC McDermott, OT/G Miami- Zach Banner part 2. He’s 6’7” with long arms but has more technique. Solid depth lineman who will enter the RT competition.

Didnt draft any WRs because I didn’t see the value for the prototype that Ballard likes. I also didn’t sign a RT because I think you let Good, Haeg, Clarke, and McDermott battle it out for the spot. New offense will help the line anyways. I’m hoping to have a Saints-sequel draft and knock the first 3-4 picks out the park.

I have a feeling Ballard won't pay Norwell, but this is a very solid off-season IMO

5 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Colts Re-Sign:

Adam Vinateri, 2 years 

Donte Moncrief, 1 year

FA:

Draft:

McDermott?

As far as I can tell, we don't have someone of that name on the roster.

Someone else?

2 hours ago, CopenhagenColt said:

Everyone on this board seems ready to pay Norwell big, and yet everyone seems unwilling to pick Nelson @ #3 despite the fact that all evaluators call him the safest bet in the draft, and a Pro Bowl caliber level plug and play prospect.

I find that strange.

You don`t draft an OG with the 3rd overall pick. Trading down and getting good value in order to draft Nelson is easier said then done. I`ll over pay for a proven need position (OG Norwell) with the Colts cap space and draft an impact player with the 3rd pick every time. 

7 hours ago, CopenhagenColt said:

Everyone on this board seems ready to pay Norwell big, and yet everyone seems unwilling to pick Nelson @ #3 despite the fact that all evaluators call him the safest bet in the draft, and a Pro Bowl caliber level plug and play prospect.

I find that strange.

Because the #3 pick is far more valuable than cap space.

15 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

McDermott?

As far as I can tell, we don't have someone of that name on the roster.

Someone else?

McDermott is the 7th round pick in my Mock. I’m saying he’d be in the RT battle.

18 hours ago, BProland85 said:

CB position is looking pretty bare with your mock scenario. I would hope Ballard resigns Melvin in this case. And even after resigning Melvin, I'd still want to add another talented player in the draft to complete with Melvin and Wilson. 

I actually forget so many of our CBs were FAs. I’d also re-sign Melvin and Desir in that case. The rest of the depth you’d get from pre-season cuts an UDFAs.

I don't think by the time we get to the draft that Will Hernandez will still be a second round selection....I think he is going to sneak comfortably into round 1 he has the talent for it, and there are too many teams needing OL improvement for him not to .....

I don't know, I think Hernandez could land in the second.  He got beat in the one on ones in the senior bowl (once) , and his technique is a little sloppy.  He always has his hands on the outside and never moves his feet much.  These are habits picked up by always being the strongest kid on the block.  Isiah Wynn is the second best guard in this class, but I think Hernandez may have a higher ceiling. 

Point I am trying to make is that apperantly everyone is a first round selection now.  I hear talk of Micheal Gallup, Taven Bryan, Isaih Wynn, Malik Jefferson, DJ moore, etc.  I just don't see 4 guards and 4 linebackers going in the first round.  We will be able to pick one one in the second round if we so desire. 

13 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

He is a free agent.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/martavis-bryant-14529/

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2017/05/03/adjustment-to-nflpa-database-confirms-martavis-bryant-officially-under-contract-until-2019/

Everything ive seen seems to confirm that he isnt. Can you point me in the direction of anything refuting any of this??

1 hour ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

Ok scratch that the only steelers free agent at receiver is Justin hunter.

7 hours ago, crunked said:

I don't think by the time we get to the draft that Will Hernandez will still be a second round selection....I think he is going to sneak comfortably into round 1 he has the talent for it, and there are too many teams needing OL improvement for him not to .....

I doubt it. Nelson is a 1st round guard because he's the highest graded guard in the last decade and scouts are saying he's better than Martin. Last year they were calling Lamp a 1st rounder and he slipped to the 2nd. I think Hernandez will be there. Guards don't go in the 1st round like that. The last one that did was Laken Tomlinsen If I'm not mistaken and he hasn't been great from what I've heard. There's Scherff but he was technically an OT coming out.

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I doubt it. Nelson is a 1st round guard because he's the highest graded guard in the last decade and scouts are saying he's better than Martin. Last year they were calling Lamp a 1st rounder and he slipped to the 2nd. I think Hernandez will be there. Guards don't go in the 1st round like that. The last one that did was Laken Tomlinsen If I'm not mistaken and he hasn't been great from what I've heard. There's Scherff but he was technically an OT coming out.

Not sure Nelson is higher rated than chance Warmack/John Cooper were.

21 hours ago, MPStack said:

You don`t draft an OG with the 3rd overall pick. Trading down and getting good value in order to draft Nelson is easier said then done. I`ll over pay for a proven need position (OG Norwell) with the Colts cap space and draft an impact player with the 3rd pick every time. 

Maybe we have a different definition of the verb "impact", but adding a pro bowl caliber player to the worst O-line in the league would, in my definition, have an impact on the teams ability to compete.

I would take Nelson at number 3 and be thrilled

19 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I suggest Hernandez won't be high on Ballard's board because he is a big, slow, fatty that will always have issues pass blocking at the next level. Let alone traps, pulls, screens, 2nd level pickups. Please No.
Pass blocking ability is greater than run blocking all day every day in this NFL. JMO

16 hours ago, CopenhagenColt said:

Maybe we have a different definition of the verb "impact", but adding a pro bowl caliber player to the worst O-line in the league would, in my definition, have an impact on the teams ability to compete.

I would take Nelson at number 3 and be thrilled

Taking chubb at 3 and getting Norwell in FA is the best scenario we could ask for I don't understand your logic of taking a rookie expecting him to be pro bowl caliber when he has never played a down in the NFL over a guy who is a proven All-Pro

5 hours ago, lance_m8 said:

Taking chubb at 3 and getting Norwell in FA is the best scenario we could ask for I don't understand your logic of taking a rookie expecting him to be pro bowl caliber when he has never played a down in the NFL over a guy who is a proven All-Pro

I would be happy to grab both Norwell and Nelson, and then take the best defensive edge rusher in the second round.

Fixing the O-line is, in my opinion, much more important than getting the best edge rusher in this years draft. It's not even close.

On 2/9/2018 at 7:21 PM, CopenhagenColt said:

I find that strange.

I was thinking the same thing yesterday. Fans would have no problem with an OT that potentially can be an All-Pro, but an elite OG that potentially can be an All-Pro  that protects #12 and opens holes for the run game doesn't get the same value... 

On 2/9/2018 at 2:36 PM, gnet550 said:

I have a feeling Ballard won't pay Norwell, but this is a very solid off-season IMO

I think Norwell is a must. I will be very disappointed if any other team(except if panthers tag him or something) get him. We had 3 dissapointed season, because our franchise QB had multiple injuries and our bad o-line is the one to be blamed. If Luck is healthy, with a good o-line, This team can be a super bowl contender. We are one of the top 3 teams with the most cap available. Recently, 49ers signed Garapollo making us probrably 2nd, Only behind the Browns who has a good O-Line, so I think we are in 1st place to sign Norwell, but like you say Ballard has to be on the same page.

On 2/9/2018 at 7:21 PM, CopenhagenColt said:

I find that strange.

It is strange, but I think it speaks to our cap situation.  We'd rather pay the money to get the proven guard and save our draft picks for another position.  I have us getting both in my mock.