Frank Reich Expected to Interview

1959Colts

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

and Sean McVay....

John Harbaugh  lots of good coaches  are first timers  , I'm really pumped up about our new DC Matt Eberflus I look at his coaching family tree & a link I posted earlier & as a first time DC I like this Ballard pick & I hope Darrell Bevell is in house soon ..

9 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

Nothing to get twisted..... I don't care if you have Joe Montana and Jerry Rice in their prime, an overall record of 44-19-1 in the regular season, and 5-3 in the playoffs as a head coach is not the result of just providing a little direction.....  the 49er record over the same amount of time directly prior to Harbaugh, with many of those same players?  26-38 regular season, never better than 8-8, no playoff appearances..... the 3 seasons seasons after Harbaugh?   5-11, 2-14, 6-10....  Harbs worst season was his last, at 8-8.....  that's not just a little guidance..... He's a great coach at the NFL level.    

That said, he isn't being hired by the Colts....

He was a great coach for three years with the majority of the core on those teams in the prime of their respective careers.  He did a great job in SF but to state that he is a great coach is a little much don't you think?  Pagano had a successful first three years too.  He left after his worst season as well, who knows if he could have kept that thing going.  I think he is overrated as a coach.  So far he has not brought Michigan to new heights either.  By the way, I didn't state a little direction that was your interpretation.  I said he changed the culture which is something that he is very good at doing.  He played hard nosed physical football which really suited that team very well hence the term direction.

That said, you are right he will not be hired...

12 hours ago, Coltfreak said:

Where does this come from?

Well if I  remembered I would have included it in my initial post. I've digested a lot of Colts related media over the past few days (various podcasts, etc).  I couldn't tell you exactly where I  heard it.  Just responding to your initial question as to why I was also interested in DeFillipio.  Like I said initially I'm good with him or Reich.  Though at this point DeFillipio doesn't seem to be under consideration by the Colts so it's pretty much moot.  The Eagles seem cool with Reich leaving but for some reason they seem inclined to hold onto DeFillipio if possible.  They must see something in the guy.

Good God, I wasn't going to talk about Harbaugh again but that team sucked before he took over. Why weren't they great the year before he took over if they had all these great players? They had Gore in 2010 too. The 49ers sucked before him and have sucked after - Facts. Harbaugh was a Great Coach there, get off your Harbaugh hate. Moving forward I do want Reich out of the reasonable choices we have.

Reich is the guy that makes the most sense. Frazier and Campbell make. O sense.

But I am starting to have a growing fear that Dodds and Ballard are want their boy Bevell as OC. And someone like Frazier or Campbell will gladly let them pick the OC for another shot at a HC gig...something that both would likely never get.

If Reich is willing to go along, he's probably the guy. But if not, he can just wait and see what is out there next offseason, instead of settling for the Colts job.

I hope I am wrong about this. Truthfully, I want to shock everyone and hire Defilippo...but I would be fine with Reich.

Just now, shastamasta said:

But I am starting to have a growing fear that Dodds and Ballard want their boy Bevell as OC. And someone like Frazier or Campbell will gladly let them pick the OC for another shot at a HC gig...something that both would likely never get.

If Reich is willing to go along, he's probably the guy. But if not, he can just wait and see what is out there next offseason.

I hope I am wrong about this. But all of the circumstances around this have been strange and I won't rule anything out...especially with Bevell being connected to the Colts quote often recently.

Truthfully, I want to shock everyone and hire Defilippo...but I would be fine with Reich.

I think it'll be Frank Reich with Bevell as OC, which is what I would prefer. An inexperienced HC needs at least one experienced coordinator. I think the past few years have soured Becell's reputation as an OC, but he was a hot name a few years ago when the Seahawks offense was really good.

I look at it from the perspective of him doing a LOT with nothing. He has been consistently given bottom of the barrel linemen, UDFA WR's, and a QB that can't see over the line and has done really well.

12 minutes ago, Shive said:

I think it'll be Frank Reich with Bevell as OC, which is what I would prefer. An inexperienced HC needs at least one experienced coordinator. I think the past few years have soured Becell's reputation as an OC, but he was a hot name a few years ago when the Seahawks offense was really good.

I look at it from the perspective of him doing a LOT with nothing. He has been consistently given bottom of the barrel linemen, UDFA WR's, and a QB that can't see over the line and has done really well.

Here's one concern I've developed about Bevell, and I could be WAAAY off base here, but......

From what I understand he runs a WCO, which should include getting the ball out quickly, right?

One of the things people liked about 'that other guy' was his offense got the ball out quickly, so 'that other team' didn't need premier OL.

I've heard, more than once, that Bevell's offense went down hill because the Seahawk's OL wasn't being attended to.

How come 'that other guy' could do it, but Bevell couldn't?

8 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Luck getting his serious injuries was because he played with a line backers mentality. Yes he was sacked a lot but he never played to protect himself. Big difference.

Complete nonsense. Every QB who played during the Chuck era took a beating.

20 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

But I am starting to have a growing fear that Dodds and Ballard are want their boy Bevell as OC. And someone like Frazier or Campbell will gladly let them pick the OC for another shot at a HC gig...something that both would likely never get.

If Reich is willing to go along, he's probably the guy. But if not, he can just wait and see what is out there next offseason, instead of settling for the Colts job.

I hope I am wrong about this. Truthfully, I want to shock everyone and hire Defilippo...but I would be fine with Reich.

You fear Bevell who has been a successful OC in minn and Seattle, but you're attracted to DeFilippo. Why?

3 minutes ago, BOTT said:

You fear Bevell who has been a successful OC in minn and Seattle, but you're attracted to DeFilippo. Why?

I don't fear Bevell as OC. I fear him being OC could be a requisite and might impede the process...hence the underwhelming candidates like Frazier and Campbell. 

If Reich or Defilippo is onboard with that. that's all good by me. 

23 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Complete nonsense. Every QB who played during the Chuck era took a beating.

So it was Chuck's fault that every O-lineman either drafted or was signed in free agency were bust? 

What is nonsense is you call it the Chuck era when it was not him that brought players in that wasn't good enough to protect the QB. Just how many different starting offensive lineups started during what you call the Chuck era?  Too many to count.

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

So it was Chuck's fault that every O-lineman either drafted or was signed in free agency were bust? 

What is nonsense is you call it the Chuck era when it was not him that brought players in that wasn't good enough to protect the QB. Just how many different starting offensive lineups started during what you call the Chuck era?  Too many to count.

That's why you don't run a vertical offense.  Hell, he knew the Oline was going to be bad yr one and who did he hire? Bruce Arians...who had just gotten fired for getting Big Ben killed.....and got Tim Couch killed in Cleveland prior to that. Best part, the fool coached against Arians for yrs as a member of the Ravens, yet he still hired the guy whose motto is "no risk it, no biscuit".

Harbaugh is overrated on this board. People were worried about how McDaniels would get along with others; Harbaugh has an abrasive personality as well. There were rumors coming out before he left SF that a lot of players were getting tired of him. 

I don't think he is the sure fire home run many here think he is... a lot of people default to him because of nostalgia and Luck, and gloss over his obvious shortcomings. 

3 minutes ago, BOTT said:

That's why you don't run a vertical offense.  Hell, he knew the Oline was going to be bad yr one and who did he hire? Bruce Arians...who had just gotten fired for getting Big Ben killed.....and got Tim Couch killed in Cleveland prior to that. Best part, the fool coached against Arians for yrs as a member of the Ravens, yet he still hired the guy whose motto is "no risk it, no biscuit".

Let me ask you a question?  Why do you still feel the need to rag on Pagano when everyone knows he was a lame duck coach and was set up to be to fall guy for all the Colts problems?  He got fired. Isn't that enough for you? Dragging all this up serves no purpose but to satisfy your need to continue to whine about Pagano.

This team is moving forward, but not you it seems.

6 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Friendly Reminder from TigerTown

Colts(any NFL Franchiseneed a Character Guy and anyone who would leave for greener pastures the day after promising the world to 25+ guys has no character

Reminder

JMO

The Patriots don't need a character guy.  Just saying.  lol

2 minutes ago, RomanianColtsFan said:

Ballard lost a lot of credibility with me because of his gross misjudgment of character. I hope Jim Irsay steps in this time and hires Frank Reich. 

I don't think it's fair to lay this all on Ballard. Dungy, Polian, and others who are well respected gave McDaniels their stamp of approval. Ballard took the bullet, but it wasn't all him. 

I would rather have a GM who was willing to take risks than one who always played it safe. 

15 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Let me ask you a question?  Why do you still feel the need to rag on Pagano when everyone knows he was a lame duck coach and was set up to be to fall guy for all the Colts problems?  He got fired. Isn't that enough for you? Dragging all this up serves no purpose but to satisfy your need to continue to whine about Pagano.

This team is moving forward, but not you it seems.

I brought it up to show your inconsistency....duh.

For what it's worth:

1. Was also told that Manning was not onboard with the McDaniels hire in Indy, and that Frank Reich is not necessarily Ballard’s choice.

2. Source: Though the interview is tomorrow, the Colts job is Frank Reich’s if he wants it. Also told that Peyton Manning has offered advice to the Irsays on the head coach and endorses Reich.

3. I asked around. Those hoping that Jim Harbaugh suddenly wants the Colts job after the McDaniels debacle can forget it. He’s not leaving Michigan.

Brad Wells Retweeted Kevin Bowen

Dave Toub is the 4th candidate.

Brad Wells added,

Kevin Bowen @KBowen1070
    Dan Campbell, Frank Reich and Leslie Frazier are 3 names for the #Colts. Who else could they be looking at in their new head coaching search? …

2 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

For what it's worth:

1. Was also told that Manning was not onboard with the McDaniels hire in Indy, and that Frank Reich is not necessarily Ballard’s choice.

2. Source: Though the interview is tomorrow, the Colts job is Frank Reich’s if he wants it. Also told that Peyton Manning has offered advice to the Irsays on the head coach and endorses Reich.

3. I asked around. Those hoping that Jim Harbaugh suddenly wants the Colts job after the McDaniels debacle can forget it. He’s not leaving Michigan.

Brad Wells Retweeted Kevin Bowen

Dave Toub is the 4th candidate.

Brad Wells added,

Kevin Bowen @KBowen1070
    Dan Campbell, Frank Reich and Leslie Frazier are 3 names for the #Colts. Who else could they be looking at in their new head coaching search? …

Dabo Swinney or Urban Meyer at least need to be called...Reich could be next Don Shula or next Pagano 50/50..

1 hour ago, BOTT said:

Let me answer this since I have the same feelings.  I don't know how much influence DeFilippo had on Philly's O, but Phily seemed to be an O that got the most out of its players...rookie Wentz and cast off Foles....without having top name players. 

Bevell could be a product of Wilson's superior mobility and Marshawn Lynch in his prime.  When those two players lost a step, the O felt it. 

54 minutes ago, esmort said:

I don't think it's fair to lay this all on Ballard. Dungy, Polian, and others who are well respected gave McDaniels their stamp of approval. Ballard took the bullet, but it wasn't all him. 

I would rather have a GM who was willing to take risks than one who always played it safe. 

I haven't attacked this line of reasoning because anything I say will just be met with 'I knew he was scum all along, people don't change, blaaaaaaahhhh,', but I very much agree with you.

McDaniels sold a lot of good people who are good judges of character. If Tony Dungy endorses someone, you should be good to go. They all got tricked.

Thinking that we are better at judging a person's character from afar than experienced, respected people like Dungy, Polian, etc., etc., is pretty dumb. 

13 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

And now for something completely different...

JMV1070 Retweeted Tom Skowron

Really? I didn't see it.

JMV1070 added,

Tom Skowron @RealTomSkowron
@JMV1070 schefter just said on sportscenter Dan Campbell is the favorite for the colts job 

Meh. Guest it depends on who the OC is.