Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ian Rapoport: Colts coaching search down to McDaniels or Vrabel

stitches

6 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

Mike Tirico just said during the halftime that Josh's exit is possible to a team like the Colts, but it isn't as likely as Patricia leaving... wonder why he would say it like that.  I paraphrased btw

Because Patricia is rumored strongly for both the Lions and Giants. McDaniels is only linked to Colts. Patricia is believed to be more likely to leave. There is question surrounding the Colts because of Luck’s uncertainty. Some wonder if McDaniels will decide on Colts even if they offer. If Patricia leaves then Josh is the undisputed heir apparent in New England should Belichick leave. That is better for him than the Colts gig potentially. We might get stuck with Vrabel.  Lmbo. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, csmopar said:

In before people panic 

I’m not panicking. I realize that anything can happen. Hell, didn’t Belichick resign from the Jets at his introductory presser?  McDaniels could have verbally committed to the Colts and then change his mind and go to another team or stay with Patriots.

3 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Because Patricia is rumored strongly for both the Lions and Giants. McDaniels is only linked to Colts. Patricia is believed to be more likely to leave. There is question surrounding the Colts because of Luck’s uncertainty. Some wonder if McDaniels will decide on Colts even if they offer. If Patricia leaves then Josh is the undisputed heir apparent in New England should Belichick leave. That is better for him than the Colts gig potentially. We might get stuck with Vrabel.  Lmbo. 

If Luck is the only reason McDaniels would come here I don't want him.

2 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Because Patricia is rumored strongly for both the Lions and Giants. McDaniels is only linked to Colts. Patricia is believed to be more likely to leave. There is question surrounding the Colts because of Luck’s uncertainty. People wonder if McDaniels will decide on Colts even if they offer. If Patricia leaves then Josh is the undisputed heir apparent in New England should Belichick leave. That is better for him than the Colts gig potentially. We might get stuck with Vrabel.  Lmbo. 

So you would definitely take McDaniels over Vrabel?

Because Patricia is rumored strongly for both the Lions and Giants. McDaniels is only linked to Colts. Patricia is believed to be more likely to leave. There is question surrounding the Colts because of Luck’s uncertainty. People wonder if McDaniels will decide on Colts even if they offer. If Patricia leaves then Josh is the undisputed heir apparent in New England should Belichick leave. That is better for him than the Colts gig potentially. We might get stuck with Vrabel.  Lmbo. 

So you would definitely take McDaniels over Vrabel?

1 minute ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Because Patricia is rumored strongly for both the Lions and Giants. McDaniels is only linked to Colts. Patricia is believed to be 5e more likely to leave. There is question surrounding the Colts because of Luck,s uncertainty. People wonder if McDaniels will decide on Colts even if they offer. If Patricia leaves then Josh is the undisputed heir apparent in New England should Belichick leave. That is better for him than the Colts gig potentially. We might get stuck with Vrabel.  Lmbo. 

Well..... I have a hard time believing that if Josh is who Ballard and Orsay want then  they pretty much know if he is willing to leave or not and wouldn't allow us to be backed into a corner.... just saying.

Note-I am not changing the auto correct again .... if it wants to convert Jim's name to Orsay so be it, lol.... I know I can have it learn the spelling, but it gets old.  The autocorrect on this site is comical at times.

5 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

That’s entirely possible. There are 4 vacancies and I think each one is waiting to hire a coach who is still coaching in the playoffs with Vrabel being a standby for a couple of the teams.  Belichick could have indicated that he’s retiring soon and that may keep McDaniels around. Plus, he’ll be in high demand again after next season 

8 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

I’m not panicking. I realize that anything can happen. Hell, didn’t Belichick resign from the Jets at his introductory presser?  McDaniels could have verbally committed to the Colts and then change his mind and go to another team or stay with Patriots.

You may not be but guarantee you that someone on this forum is

I also think Ballard should have interviewed more of the candidates out there. Several names left on the table that were considered by some of the other teams looking for coaches. 

I agree with that notion too.  I want to trust him, but at times he makes me wonder.  This JM thing could be more smoke too to keep others from going after him, who knows.  

3 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I also think Ballard should have interviewed more of the candidates out there. Several names left on the table that were considered by some of the other teams looking for coaches. 

We don't know for sure how many or who was interviewed 

Just now, #12. said:

Ostensibly, you're against McDaniels because he failed in Denver.

Vrabel hasn't had the opportunity to fail.

I realize that sometimes people need to fail to succeed but it’s the manner in which he failed that’s concerning. Players didn’t want to play for him. He lost that locker room.  

As as far as Vrabel...he is defensive focused and I thought the Colts didn’t interview Wilkes because they want an offensive coach. There are better defensive oriented options in my opinion namely Richard and Wilkes.  

I prefer McDaniels vs Vrabel because he at least lines up with what the Colts said they were after...an offensive mind to go with Luck.  But don’t get it twisted this is a mediocre final 2 in my opinion and I am not enamored with either. 

3 minutes ago, csmopar said:

We don't know for sure how many or who was interviewed 

This is true.  Colts run a tight ship.  

I think McDaniels is who Ballard wants though and he is proceeding accordingly.  The question is does Josh want Indy. Hopefully Ballard interviewed enough.  The Vrabel fallback option is concerning. 

8 hours ago, Dr. T said:

If that's so, then Richards would be my top choice for DC. He's young, an aggressive play caller and helped manage the Legion of Boom. If he is chosen as DC, that might also mean that Minkah Fitzpatrick may be in play for the #3 draft pick. Can you imagine Fitz, Quincy and Hooker in the same backfield?!

I would like more experienced proven talent at those positions, not draft picks and second year guys who did not play much

25 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Watching the game they said, Patricia is likely gone but right now it’s less likely that McDaniels leaves as oppose to Patricia

I wouldn't pay too much attention to them. They're talking heads, but I doubt they have insider knowledge.

1 hour ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Should have followed through with that Wilkes interview huh?  Might have to go defensive coach anyway if Vrabel is the best fallback option.  Smh 

What was to follow through with?

The Colts asked to interview him and he said yes.    There was an agreed upon date.     And for whatever reason, Wilks backed out.

Maybe Wilks asked if we preferred an HC with an offensive background?   Maybe Wilks' other interviews have gone so well that he feels confident he's getting an offer from someone and figured meeting with us is a waste of time?    Dunno?

But once he decided he didn't want to do the interview,  not sure what more we could've done?    

Hey, I prefer the Vikings OC, Pat Schurmur,  and I'm sorry we didn't even ask to interview him.   But I won't be upset with either of the two finalists.   I think they're qualified. 

35 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

If Patricia leaves then Josh is the undisputed heir apparent in New England should Belichick leave. That is better for him than the Colts gig potentially. We might get stuck with Vrabel.  Lmbo. 

If they had Jimmy G waiting in the wings, but with a 40 year old Brady and no groomed QB behind him, they're not exactly a desirable HC spot post-BB. Add in the reported internal conflict with BB, Kraft, and Brady and I can imagine McDaniels would see our HC position as much more desirable.

5 minutes ago, Shive said:

If they had Jimmy G waiting in the wings, but with a 40 year old Brady and no groomed QB behind him, they're not exactly a desirable HC spot post-BB. Add in the reported internal conflict with BB, Kraft, and Brady and I can imagine McDaniels would see our HC position as much more desirable.

I've said this myself!!

2 hours ago, Shive said:

If they had Jimmy G waiting in the wings, but with a 40 year old Brady and no groomed QB behind him, they're not exactly a desirable HC spot post-BB. Add in the reported internal conflict with BB, Kraft, and Brady and I can imagine McDaniels would see our HC position much more desirable.

Who would want to follow Bill?  If you follow Chuck instead, anything you do looks genius.

A step further - who would want to follow Bill with no QB?  It's career suicide.  

Here's the only thing about all of this that worries me. I've been a fan for 50 years. I REALLY liked what Irsay did in the Manning era. that is, he went out and got one of the best (if not THE best), PROVEN GM in Polian. and when he hired head coaches, he hired PROVEN, experienced HEAD coaches in Mora, then Dungy. 

I love the fact that McDaniels has been a head coach and a PROVEN offensive coordinator, and that Vrabel seems to be highly regarded as an up and comer. 

i just miss taking the "sure" thing, rather than betting on the come.

i feel like Jim, after Polian, decided he wanted to "find" the next great guy, rather than trust tenured guys. I think being a head coach is really different than being a coordinator.

with all that said, I'm happy that the guys they're looking at are at the top of people's lists.

20 minutes ago, Shive said:

It may only be more desirable if Luck is healthy which is unknown as of right now.

5 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

It may only be more desirable if Luck is healthy which is still an unknown right now. 

If it turns out that he's not in the time leading up to the draft, we still have the 3rd overall pick and a chance at one of the top QBs this year.

4 minutes ago, Gigc said:

Here's the only thing about all of this that worries me. I've been a fan for 50 years. I REALLY liked what Irsay did in the Manning era. that is, he went out and got one of the best (if not THE best), PROVEN GM in Polian. and when he hired head coaches, he hired PROVEN, experienced HEAD coaches in Mora, then Dungy. 

I love the fact that McDaniels has been a head coach and a PROVEN offensive coordinator, and that Vrabel seems to be highly regarded as an up and comer. 

i just miss taking the "sure" thing, rather than betting on the come.

i feel like Jim, after Polian, decided he wanted to "find" the next great guy, rather than trust tenured guys. I think being a head coach is really different than being a coordinator.

with all that said, I'm happy that the guys they're looking at are at the top of people's lists.

I get what you are saying, but the reality is....there are no sure fire coaches available. They are all in the booth, or unavailable or retired. We just have to trust that Jim and Chris get this as right as possible given the choices available.

1 minute ago, Shive said:

If it turns out that he's not in the time leading up to the draft, we still have the 3rd overall pick and a chance at one of the top QBs this year.

True...but the Pats ownership and Brady also expect that 12 will be under center for 5 more years as crazy as that sounds.  Josh could feasibly believe that 5 more years of Brady trumps a rookie QB who could just as easily fail as succeed.  Neither of those QB prospects are can't miss guys like Luck was supposed to have been.

Why don’t you tell me and I don’t want to hear about the Belichick failed in Cleveland crap.  It’s friggin Cleveland...their culture is to fail.  McDaniels bombed with a respectable NFL franchise with decent tradition in Denver.  He wanted too much power and thought he knew it all until he found out he wasn’t Belichick. 

When BB was there it was a different franchise.....now known as the Ravens.

True...but the Pats ownership and Brady also expect that 12 will be under center for 5 more years as crazy as that sounds.  Josh could feasibly believe that 5 more years of Brady trumps a rookie QB who could just as easily fail as succeed.  Neither of those QB prospects are can't miss guys like Luck was supposed to have been.

Brady isn't playing 5 more years...not at an elite level anyway, and I don't see him sticking around as a back up. 

Just now, esmort said:

Brady isn't playing 5 more years...not at an elite level anyway, and I don't see him sticking around as a back up. 

I don't think he will either.  But it doesn't matter what we think.  The point is Brady and some in the Pats organization seem to think he will. 

FWI Mike Florio said in the pre game that McDaniels is a big Andrew Luck fan and mentioned the possibility of him to the Colts.

7 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

I get what you are saying, but the reality is....there are no sure fire coaches available. They are all in the booth, or unavailable or retired. We just have to trust that Jim and Chris get this as right as possible given the choices available.

It wouldn't be popular because I'm sure people believe "he sucks",  but I would have considered Mike Shanahan.

Touche.  Nicely done. CF12 couldn't come up with anything.  lol

It's already been said numerous times that coaches fail them try again and are great hell late Carroll even did it himself and now he's a SB champ all you do is whine and complain about everything 

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

FWI Mike Florio said in the pre game that McDaniels is a big Andrew Luck fan and mentioned the possibility of him to the Colts.

Well we will see then.  I was just presenting an argument for why Josh might consider staying with the Pats.  No one knows what he will do at the end of the day until a final decision is made.