Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ian Rapoport: Colts coaching search down to McDaniels or Vrabel

stitches

Just now, SLILLINGTON10 said:

Josh called an awesome game tonight. Can't wait for that play calling and offense to come to Indy. I would look for Josh to ask Ballard for a big gronk body type TE. What he has been able to do with Lewis, white, and Blount (previously). I dont think we need a high draft pick RB.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, SLILLINGTON10 said:

Josh called an awesome game tonight. Can't wait for that play calling and offense to come to Indy. I would look for Josh to ask Ballard for a big gronk body type TE. What he has been able to do with Lewis, white, and Blount the (previously). I dont think we need a high draft pick RB.

I just kept imagining that offense running with the Shoe on the side of their lids.......I'm game, sincerely hope McDaniels gets his second shot in Indy.

9 minutes ago, SLILLINGTON10 said:

Josh called an awesome game tonight. Can't wait for that play calling and offense to come to Indy. I would look for Josh to ask Ballard for a big gronk body type TE. What he has been able to do with Lewis, white, and Blount the (previously). I dont think we need a high draft pick RB.

Dion Lewis is a FA...

32 minutes ago, KING. said:

Would anyone on this forum feel confident in Mike Vrabel as the Colts next coach?

The truth?  For whatever reason, and I've noticed this to be true with 10-15 other Colt fans, I have a better instinctual response to Vrabel than McDaniels.  Why?  Who the hell  knows.  I love the Patriot offense.  What McDaniels accomplishes with Brady is amazing, but part of me, instinctually, feels more comfortable with the idea of Vrable as head coach than McDaniels.  I couldn't tell you why. 

If McDaniels is hired, hopefully Luck is protected, the offense takes off and we don't look back.

4 hours ago, Superman said:

Dion Lewis is a FA...

4 hours ago, SLILLINGTON10 said:

Get Luck healthy.

Get McDaniels calling plays

Give Dion Lewis 3/15.

Draft Dallas Goedert, the new Gronk:

Unleash hell upon the NFL! 

4 hours ago, KING. said:

Would anyone on this forum feel confident in Mike Vrabel as the Colts next coach?

I would need, you know, 2-3 years worth of games before I can intelligently answer the question.

Like apparently most other posters here, I am unable to see the future and definitively know one way or the other if a coach will have success before his teams have ever played a down.

Though I would have this in the back of my mind.  Ballard seems to know what he is doing and has a good league-wide reputation.  I believe I would have faith in whoever he selects as the next coach, regardless of who it is. 

16 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

What a stupid thing to say!! Haha You do know how many of the greatest coaches ever failed their first job they got right?

It's not like Cutler has done anything since he left. If he was so good, where the heck is he now? Barely starting for the Dolphins. 

9 hours ago, #12. said:

The truth?  For whatever reason, and I've noticed this to be true with 10-15 other Colt fans, I have a better instinctual response to Vrabel than McDaniels.  Why?  Who the hell  knows.  I love the Patriot offense.  What McDaniels accomplishes with Brady is amazing, but part of me, instinctually, feels more comfortable with the idea of Vrable as head coach than McDaniels.  I couldn't tell you why. 

If McDaniels is hired, hopefully Luck is protected, the offense takes off and we don't look back.

McDaniels looks like a member of the chess club

Vrabel looks like a guy who beat up members of the chess club 

or maybe it's simply latent homosexuality for a good looking 6'4 260lb alpha male. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

1 hour ago, stitches said:

Get Luck healthy.

Get McDaniels calling plays

Give Dion Lewis 3/15.

Draft Dallas Goedert, the new Gronk:

Unleash hell upon the NFL! 

Are we trying to become a cheap imitation of the Patriots around here now?  Dion Lewis? Please...Give me Saquon all day! 

20 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Are we trying to become a cheap imitation of the Patriots around here now?  Dion Lewis? Please...Give me Saquon all day! 

No, we are trying to give mismatch weapons to our QB and our new OC.

Also, you need to spend no. 3 on Saquon if you want him. This is a horrible allocation of resources. I'd much rather draft an elite pass-rusher at 3 and get Lewis at 3/15 than get Saquon and whoever pass-rusher you can get for 5M/year. 

Josh McDaniels seems to be the frontrunner for the HC job in Indy, as far as what the media says. 

I just wonder, will he be able to be that leader and voice in the locker room, that we need to be succesful?

McDaniels don´t struck me as a leader of men and as a possible coach who can bring guys together. 

Yes he´s had a ton of succes in New England, but who could not have succes with Brady, Bill and Bob and a stacked team. 

One thing is I really do like his play calling, and different schemes and trick plays.

But again, he just don´t struck me as the leader and inspirational man who can build a team for the ages.

So, how do you look at McDaniels as a leader and coach? 

13 minutes ago, stitches said:

No, we are trying to give weapons to our QB and our new OC.

Also, you need to spend no. 3 on Saquon if you want him. This is a horrible price to pay. I'd much rather draft an elite pass-rusher at 3 and get Lewis at 3/15 than get Saquon and whoever pass-rusher you can get for 5M/year. 

Number 3 isn’t a horrible price for a generational talent like Saquon. I hear you on the need for pass rush though. Still if we go the pass rusher route I’d prefer to draft our primary running back in the second or third and take pass rusher in the first if the value is there. We still need to have our own identity and not over mimick New England. I’d rather find a way to beat them not imitate them.

8 hours ago, Restored said:

McDaniels could be walking into his press conference to be introduced as the next head coach of the Colts and you’d still be in denial.

Perhaps you are in denial believing McDaniels is clearly a done deal with Indy?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/good-morning-football/0ap3000000905750/Rapoport-Mike-Mularkey-future-with-Titans-still-unclear

7 hours ago, KING. said:

Don't worry, on this forum, there's some that think Curtis Painter should be brought back and Luck traded... so I'm sure there's at least 1 that thinks Vrabel is the next Lombardi

2 hours ago, Narcosys said:

Here's a thought, we wait too long to get vrabel and then mcdaniels goes elsewhere, then here we are without a chair when the music stops.  

tenor.gif

I'd be lying if I said that wasn't worrying me too. But I honestly think that Ballard would have a good read on that long before the media does and would go a different direction with a plan C

8 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Titans aren't going to fire Mularkey. Not after taking them to the 2nd round of the playoffs...

Maybe they should.  Seems like they have the bases covered on the line and the skill guys to be better.  Let's be real , they got some cheap wins because of QB injuries this year and got another cheap win to get in last game of the season when Jags had nothing to play for.  

59 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Number 3 isn’t a horrible price for a generational talent like Saquon. I hear you on the need for pass rush though. Still if we go the pass rusher route I’d prefer to draft our primary running back in the second or third and take pass rusher in the first if the value is there. We still need to have our own identity and not over mimick New England. I’d rather find a way to beat them not imitate them.

You never draft need over talent.  Ballard has already said as much. 

22 minutes ago, mahagga73 said:

Maybe they should.  Seems like they have the bases covered on the line and the skill guys to be better.  Let's be real , they got some cheap wins because of QB injuries this year and got another cheap win to get in last game.  

Tennessee is in a tough spot.

I think they realize Mularkey is a bad coach (and many of their fans)

I believe they would have fired him, but because of KC's historic collapse in the wildcard game, the Titans won. That put them in a predicament.

If they fire Mularkey, the managment will be poorly perceived. Or he if stays, and the team flounders, Mularkey will be a lame duck coach.  So the Titans ownership is cornered. 

I remember a few weeks ago, when the coaching predictions were being made, some had Tennessee listed as the top team to land McDaniels. 

I am not trying to lobby against the Colts hiring Josh McDaniels. 

I just think it's foolish, especially with the Colts dysfunction the past few years, to automatically assume McDaniels is so sure to be hired in Indy.

The Giants are still in the mix, and maybe, just maybe? Tennessee or even he stays in NE?

Perhaps Ballard pulls another rabbit out of his hat? 

Should make for a very interesting next few weeks!

9 minutes ago, mahagga73 said:

You never draft need over talent.  Ballard has already said as much. 

Agreed.  I entered the off-season thinking we needed to trade down to get as many picks as possible.  After seeing Saquon's film, I want to take him if he is there at three.  He looks special and has good size with amazing speed. He is a game changer and we don't have many on the Colts.  If Saquon is gone by our pick then I am all for trading down if possible. 

7 minutes ago, Indeee said:

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Lions are expected to hire Patriots DC Matt Patricia as their next head coach.

Related: Lions

Oh crap, let's hope Giants sign Wilks

The Giants were looking at Patricia. Also Pat Shurmur was mentioned.

https://www.newsday.com/sports/football/giants/giants-head-coach-search-1.16143809

It will be interesting if Minnesota loses. Shurmur will be available (Arizona, Giants?)

Don't be surprised if NY now sets their sights on Josh McDaniels

Just now, Coltsman1788 said:

Agreed.  I entered the off-season thinking we needed to trade down to get as many picks as possible.  After seeing Saquon's film, I want to take him if he is there at three.  He looks special and has good size with amazing speed. He is a game changer and we don't have many on the Colts.  If Saquon is gone by our pick then I am all for trading down if possible. 

You start picking because of need you will be picking top of the draft every year.  I'm worried about the Browns at 1 taking Barkley.  They have the flexibility to take him there and still get Allen or even the USC Qb , who's just as good a QB prospect at 4 or whatever . I would be surprised if the Giants pass on Rosen . 

1 minute ago, 1959Colts said:

The Giants were looking at Patricia. Also Pat Shurmur was mentioned.

It will be interesting if Minnesota loses. Shurmur will be available (Arizona, Giants?)

Don't be surprised if NY now sets their sights on Josh McDaniels

At this time, ALL Colts fans should be hoping this McDaniels deal is rock solid. If Vrabel is a fallback, god help us. Might as well interview Monachino as HC.

Unfortunately, this is the problem when you have to wait for coaches who are still playing, coupled with a sit down between the top 3 Pats guys after the season. No one knows how that may turn out and McDaniels may be interested to see what becomes of that before jumping ship in the event BB steps down giving McDaniels a shot to coach NE

3 minutes ago, mahagga73 said:

You start picking because of need you will be picking top of the draft every year.  I'm worried about the Browns at 1 taking Barkley.  They have the flexibility to take him there and still get Allen or even the USC Qb , who's just as good a QB prospect at 4 or whatever . I would be surprised if the Giants pass on Rosen . 

Yes it is very possible that the Browns are even the Giants may take Saquon ahead of us.  He is the best player available regardless of position. 

Just now, Coltsman1788 said:

Yes it is very possible that the Browns are even the Giants may take Saquon ahead of us.  He is the best player available regardless of position. 

Stop talking draft possibility in the Coaching section. There is enough going on here without draft topics. plenty of other posts elsewhere for that, utilize those for draft discussions