Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

HAVE WE LOOKED AT GM BALLARD CLOSE ENOUGH

elyanon

4 minutes ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

Weeks is one thing a season is another! Ballard saw lots of tape of Tolzen there is lots of blame to go around on this one!! I am sure Ballard was at almost every practice as well.

I agree.  Ballard traded for Brissett after week 1.   

I don't really place any blame on Ballard for Tolzien.   He was a 5th year backup who played decent in 1 start with the Colts the previous year.  Pagano chose him as his second best QB and would have shown enough confidence in him to fill in for Luck if need be.  Ballard had a new team with holes in every position.   He filled many of them with very little money.    If Pagano would have told him that Tolzien couldn't play before the season, we could have brought someone else in.  

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Myles said:

I agree.  Ballard traded for Brissett after week 1.   

I don't really place any blame on Ballard for Tolzien.   He was a 5th year backup who played decent in 1 start with the Colts the previous year.  Pagano chose him as his second best QB and would have shown enough confidence in him to fill in for Luck if need be.  Ballard had a new team with holes in every position.   He filled many of them with very little money.    If Pagano would have told him that Tolzien couldn't play before the season, we could have brought someone else in.  

Wait right there GRIGSON CHOSE TOLZIEN! Pagano doesn't bring in the tallent! If I was the coach or you were Tolzien was the obvious choice to start a game or 2 or 3 in Lucks absence based on the start he got last year. Its apparent to me that your on the Pagano hate wagon. :panic: I choose not to go for a ride on that one. Based on what Pagano saw prior to the season opener I would bet COLLECTIVELY Tolzien was the guy they thought could guide them threw a few games has Brissett got up to speed. I am sure they didn't plan to put Brissett in not knowing the play book! Whos getting the credit then for that? Honestley I would have started Morris based on the pre season.

22 hours ago, elyanon said:

Ballard wasn't stuck with anyone they were his choices not the couches. or owners that was very clear to everyone. I agree he and the HC had serious problems and both probably didn't want to work together. But the number of players we looked at, cut, traded and kept was Ballards responsobility.

and that number was pretty par for the course for a rebuilding team....  

On 1/8/2018 at 3:56 PM, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

Your high if you don'y think Ballard had input into Tolzien starting!

This is one if those hindsight deals..  

The team thought they'd have Luck back soon.   That he'd only miss a few games.  No doubt Pagano had input as well.   

Tolzein didnt look so bad against a very good Steelers team in 16...    so the decision, made in real time, wasn't as obviously terrible as it turned out to be.

Tolzein, in a small window,  didn't seem like a terrible decision.   Then it all went to Hell.    The problem was the uncertainty around Luck.   That made a mess of everything.   Ballard fixed things as soon as he could.

20 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Of course, lets be clear....    you have no way of knowing that.    None.

This us your hunch and only a hunch.

You can't point to anything that would support your claim, but that's never stopped you before...

Maybe not provable false, but definitely a fake narrative.. 

There was/is a narrative on this forum is that Grigson overruled Pagano.  That was never confirmed as truth, it was just a bunch of media reports.  Anybody who would have known, never went on record as confirming it as fact.

Yet many people, simply because the media reported it......and most importantly....because they wanted to BELIEVE it, took it as the truth.

From that "truth" came a bunch of negative comments about Grigson's influence over Pagano. Some of which are in this thread.  Other read it and view it as truth.  The shear volume of comments lead a person to believe it is true.

Repeating an unsupported fact as fact becomes a narrative.  It is false....at least its a fake narrative. 

As far as Ballard, the man had a track record at KC about what Grigson had at Philly.  Both signed a bunch of stop gap vets, and have had mixed success with their first draft.  Yet Ballard is viewed as much better than Grigson.  People are happy to have him.....for no apparent reason other than they want to be happy.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

There was/is a narrative on this forum is that Grigson overruled Pagano.  That was never confirmed as truth, it was just a bunch of media reports.  Anybody who would have known, never went on record as confirming it as fact.

Yet many people, simply because the media reported it......and most importantly....because they wanted to BELIEVE it, took it as the truth.

From that "truth" came a bunch of negative comments about Grigson's influence over Pagano. Some of which are in this thread.  Other read it and view it as truth.  The shear volume of comments lead a person to believe it is true.

Repeating an unsupported fact as fact becomes a narrative.  It is false....at least its a fake narrative. 

As far as Ballard, the man had a track record at KC about what Grigson had at Philly.  Both signed a bunch of stop gap vets, and have had mixed success with their first draft.  Yet Ballard is viewed as much better than Grigson.  People are happy to have him.....for no apparent reason other than they want to be happy.

Again....   your post us based on opinion and not facts.

The reports from the media were comments from unnamed assistant coaches and people in the building.   Anonymous sources...    did you expect people to speak ON THE RECORD and get fired?    Because that's what would have happened.

Those people spoke because they knew Pagano was getting a raw deal.   Why do you think Irsay hired a therapist to try and mend what happened between Grigson and Pagano?    I've never heard of that in more than 50 years of being a sports fan.

I'm not sure why you'd want to side with Grigson over Pagano with all that is known?   This is a mystery to me?   :scratch:

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Disagree with that last part, Ballard has been the target of many teams for the GM job but he wanted to wait for the right job, he is also very respected throughout the NFL. While with Grigson he was pretty much a no name when looking at future GMs and some within the philly front office were surprised by his hire because he didn't put in the work.

So when he decided to go to the Colts people are happy because he chose us as a good place to be a GM, and I emphasize the he chose us because he wasn't going to a organization that he didn't like.

28 minutes ago, Colton Stenger said:

Disagree with that last part, Ballard has been the target of many teams for the GM job but he wanted to wait for the right job, he is also very respected throughout the NFL. While with Grigson he was pretty much a no name when looking at future GMs and some within the philly front office were surprised by his hire because he didn't put in the work.

So when he decided to go to the Colts people are happy because he chose us as a good place to be a GM, and I emphasize the he chose us because he wasn't going to a organization that he didn't like.

That's fine, I'm not saying they're equal.  But the disparity between the two as judged by this Forum is like the colors black and white.  And that disparity was evident the moment Ballard got here. 

IMO, the OP has a point.  A bit long winded and not expressed totally accurate, but yes, why are we so high on Ballard now, and why were we in the beginning? 

The resume just isn't present that would suggest he is anything special.  Even after one season.

Now watch...he'll have a good draft...and his picks will be compared to Grigson's

But they won't really be comparable.  Ballard has the #3 pick in every round and Grigson was always picking on the high 20's....except for pick #18 when he took Kelly, which by everyone's standards was a good pick. 

And Ballard probably won't be having an-owner supported HC saying that players like Werner, Djoun SMith and TJ Green can play and waste his high picks on them. 

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Again....   your post us based on opinion and not facts.

The reports from the media were comments from unnamed assistant coaches and people in the building.   Anonymous sources...    did you expect people to speak ON THE RECORD and get fired?    Because that's what would have happened.

Those people spoke because they knew Pagano was getting a raw deal.   Why do you think Irsay hired a therapist to try and mend what happened between Grigson and Pagano?    I've never heard of that in more than 50 years of being a sports fan.

I'm not sure why you'd want to side with Grigson over Pagano with all that is known?   This is a mystery to me?   :scratch:

Well, golly, the fact that they would have gotten fired for not coming forward doesn't mean we should take what was reported as if they did come forward.

Guy "A" comes forward and guy "B" does not because he might get fired, but we should take their comments as being equally factual.  In what echo chamber are those sources equal?

I would say the consequence of that dynamic is that the reader should never take anything reported in the media as being fact.  Judge for yourself if the reports make sense. 

And judge for yourself if Grigson was really all that adamant that Satele start over AQ Shipley?  And if he did want Jack Mewhort to start at RT that one game in the beginning of the season...he was right...Mewhort should have started.  Mewhort has the body type of a T and not a G, so it made sense to try to find out if he could play there.

The unnamed player was probably Reggie Wayne, because Grigson didn't say "hi" to him in the hallway.

As judgmental as my opinions may seem, they are based on some reasonable connection of dots, not just blind trust in some reporter's unnamed source.  We don't even know if the reporter heard the source correctly or misunderstood, or over exaggereated. 

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

That's fine, I'm not saying they're equal.  But the disparity between the two as judged by this Forum is like the colors black and white.  And that disparity was evident the moment Ballard got here. 

IMO, the OP has a point.  A bit long winded and not expressed totally accurate, but yes, why are we so high on Ballard now, and why were we in the beginning? 

The resume just isn't present that would suggest he is anything special.  Even after one season.

Now watch...he'll have a good draft...and his picks will be compared to Grigson's

But they won't really be comparable.  Ballard has the #3 pick in every round and Grigson was always picking on the high 20's....except for pick #18 when he took Kelly, which by everyone's standards was a good pick. 

And Ballard probably won't be having an-owner supported HC putting a bug in his ear that players like Werner, Djoun SMith and TJ Green can play and waste his high picks on them. 

If you ever met Grigson I think you may understand the detestation for the man. I met him. He was arrogant and a narcissist. Ballard was a breath of fresh air comparatively speaking even though someone of an unknown other than a great reputation throughout the league.

23 minutes ago, DougDew said:

The same reason we were so hign on Grigson after his first year? (Not just we, but the entire NFL. He was the executive of the year.)

Grigson began to screw things up from the beginning of his second year. If Ballard will follow him, we won't be so high on him neither I guess. Hope he wont.

Just now, hoosierhawk said:

If you ever met Grigson I think you may understand the detestation for the man. I met him. He was arrogant and a narcissist. Ballard was a breath of fresh air comparatively speaking even though someone of an unknown other than a great reputation throughout the league.

Yes.  I get it.  Because he's unlikeable, he was the cause of most of the Colts problems.  Because Ballard is likeable, we are well on our way to the Superbowl.  

I've heard that same thing for about a year now.

1 minute ago, Peterk2011 said:

The same reason we were so hign on Grigson after his first year? (Not just we, but the entire NFL. He was the executive of the year.)

Grigson began to screw things up beginning with his second year. If Ballard will follow him, we won't be so high on him neither I guess. Hope he wont.

I think the reason we were so high on him is because we went from 2-14 to 13-3.  Ballard hasn't done that, and didn't have Luck, so its not a comparison.  But it still doesn't support being so high on Ballard.

7 hours ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

Weeks is one thing a season is another! Ballard saw lots of tape of Tolzen there is lots of blame to go around on this one!! I am sure Ballard was at almost every practice as well.

players can look good in practice where there is no real pressure

9 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Well, golly, the fact that they would have gotten fired for not coming forward doesn't mean we should take what was reported as if they did come forward.

Guy "A" comes forward and guy "B" does not because he might get fired, but we should take their comments as being equally factual.  In what echo chamber are those sources equal?

I would say the consequence of that dynamic is that the reader should never take anything reported in the media as being fact.  Judge for yourself if the reports make sense. 

And judge for yourself if Grigson was really all that adamant that Satele start over AQ Shipley?  And if he did want Jack Mewhort to start at RT that one game in the beginning of the season...he was right...Mewhort should have started.  Mewhort has the body type of a T and not a G, so it made sense to try to find out if he could play there.

The unnamed player was probably Reggie Wayne, because Grigson didn't say "hi" to him in the hallway.

As judgmental as my opinions may seem, they are based on some reasonable connection of dots, not just blind trust in some reporter's unnamed source.  We don't even know if the reporter heard the source correctly or misunderstood, or over exaggereated. 

The comments by unnamed sources became CONFIRMED the instant that Irsay admitted he had to hire a therapist to try and fix the rift between Grigson and Pagano.    I'm not sure why why you don't recognize it?

And the story was not about one person who made the claim, it was about a number of people including coaches and other front office staff.

You seriously don't want to believe this.   You're working hard not to believe this.  The dots you connect exist only for you.  The facts would point you in another direction.    But apparently you're not willing to go there.  

6 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I think the reason we were so high on him is because we went from 2-14 to 13-3.  Ballard hasn't done that, and didn't have Luck, so its not a comparison.  But it still doesn't support being so high on Ballard.

GM's does not do records. coaches do. So, that record made us be so high on Arians (and Chuckstrong), not Grigson. We had different reasons to be high on Grigson.

It was 11-5, not 13-3, by the way.

30 minutes ago, DougDew said:

And Ballard probably won't be having an-owner supported HC saying that players like Werner, Djoun SMith and TJ Green can play and waste his high picks on them. 

Ballard had a great reputation before he ever interviewed for the Colts job.   His name was widely reported as one of the hot candidates in the weeks leading up to his being hired.  His hiring drew applause in the NFL circles, there was no head scratching.

People like Bill Polian are saying good things about Ballard --- now, not just when he was hired.    Polian gave an interview to this website that is posted now saying Ballard is good at his job and will hire a good head coach.   He's not required to say that.

Ballard enjoyed a good free agency.   He had a good draft.   We went 4-12 because of no Andrew Luck and a roster that has to be completely overhauled.   It was old, unathletic and lacked playmakers.   Ballard said when he got the job that this was not a one year turnaround.

Ballard is not perfect.   No one is.   He gets the benefit of any doubt because there's no reason not to.   He hasn't done anything not to get the benefit of the doubt.

And I have posted a number of times that one year on the job does not prove Balllard will be great.   And I note Grigson was the NFL GM of the Year in 12.   So I'm aware of what could happen.   But until things go wrong, Ballard has earned respect and trust.

8 minutes ago, Peterk2011 said:

GM's does not do records. coaches do. So, that record made us be so high on Arians (and Chuckstrong), not Grigson. We had different reasons to be high on Grigson.

It was 11-5, not 13-3, by the way.

You're not the first person to say this, but I don't know why you think GMs don't get records.   Of course they do.   If they don't have a good record, a GM gets fired.   People keep score in this business.   Winning counts, for GMs as well as coaches.

Personally, I think we need to give Ballard some time before making any judgments on the job he doing. He's barely been on the job a full year. The biggest problem Grigson had was the Colts stopped winning at the level that Irsay and all of the fans have come to expect the Colts to win at. He could have been Satan incarnate as long as the Colts kept winning the AFC South and advancing past the first round of the playoffs. In the end, in doesn't matter if Ballard is as nice as Mr. Rogers if the Colts don't win he will be gone. We aren't the Bengals. It's a pretty simple formula win and you're in lose and you're out.

41 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The comments by unnamed sources became CONFIRMED the instant that Irsay admitted he had to hire a therapist to try and fix the rift between Grigson and Pagano.    I'm not sure why why you don't recognize it?

And the story was not about one person who made the claim, it was about a number of people including coaches and other front office staff.

You seriously don't want to believe this.   You're working hard not to believe this.  The dots you connect exist only for you.  The facts would point you in another direction.    But apparently you're not willing to go there.  

I'm talking about unconfirmed reports about Grigson meddling in the starting lineup.  

If there was a rift between RG and CP, that doesnt mean it was RGs fault does it? 

Oh, I forgot, RG is mean so it must have been.  Maybe the rift was due to one being smart and the other one stupid.

3 minutes ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

Personally, I think we need to give Ballard some time before making any judgments on the job he doing. He's barely been on the job a full year. The biggest problem Grigson had was the Colts stopped winning at the level that Irsay and all of the fans have come to expect the Colts to win at. He could have been Satan incarnate as long as the Colts kept winning the AFC South and advancing past the first round of the playoffs. In the end, in doesn't matter if Ballard is as nice as Mr. Rogers if the Colts don't win he will be gone. We aren't the Bengals. It's a pretty simple formula win and you're in lose and you're out.

I agree. Right now it's time to step back and put ourselves into a wait and see mode.

A one year GM, a new head coach and staff and virtually a new roster turnover is something that can explode just as easily as be successful.

Grigson had so much success his first couple of years none of us had a clue it would implode the way it did. It is way too early to claim that Ballard is our great savior and wont know that till three years down the road if not longer.

There were drafts and free agent signings that were attempts to make things better that failed and spiraled down fast.

I have always been one of the most optimistic posters in here but I am in no means too optimistic about what this team is facing coming up.

As a long time Colts fan I have seen this scenario before.

8 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I'm talking about unconfirmed reports about Grigson meddling in the starting lineup.  

If there was a rift between RG and CP, that doesnt mean it was RGs fault does it? 

Oh, I forgot, RG is mean so it must have been.  Maybe the rift was due to one being smart and the other one stupid.

That off handed insult is unwarranted on both sides.

8 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

That off handed insult is unwarranted on both sides.

Well, lets say an unworkable disparity in IQs.  If you believe reports, one was clever enough to cause deflategate by a phone call at half time of a game, the other one oversaw Griff Whalen snapping the ball on a fake punt.

If I were RG and saw what I saw, I'd meddle every week.

Well, lets say an unworkable disparity in IQs.  If you believe reports, one was clever enough to cause deflategate by a phone call at half time of a game, the other one oversaw Griff Whalen snapping the ball on a fake punt.

If I were RG and saw what I saw mid-season too, I'd meddle every week.

IQs?  There is another unwarranted insult.  Just stop DD.

It's all water under the bridge at this point so why even dredge up stuff like this?

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

IQs?  There is another unwarranted insult.  Just stop DD.

It's all water under the bridge at this point so why even dredge up stuff like this?

Because I keep getting quoted. 

I think my first response was isolated, but got quoted (by a noted quoter and argument picker)

27 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Look how hard you're working NOT to believe this?

"If there was a rift...."      If?      IF?!?  

"Doesn't mean it was RG's fault, does it?"        Who got fired?      Did Ryan Grigson get fired, or did Chuck Pagano?

The amount of effort you're putting in to delibately NOT connect the dots is very impressive.

Beyond this,   I don't know what to tell you....

BTW, if Ballard's former and highly thought of OC rejected an offer from the Colts because of concerns over the future roster, does that say anything about his confidence in Ballard?

I guess it must be a poor reflection on Nagy......... 

Oh.......

Now THERE'S a rumor you want to believe!

It's amazing how you pick and chose what to believe and what to casually dismiss......

You live in an interestig world.......    population 1.

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Look how hard you're working NOT to believe this?

"If there was a rift...."      If?      IF?!?  

"Doesn't mean it was RG's fault, does it?"        Who got fired?      Did Ryan Grigson get fired, or did Chuck Pagano?

The amount of effort you're putting in to delibately NOT connect the dots is very impressive.

Beyond this,   I don't know what to tell you....

What report even mentioned the oline players involved back then?  Did a reporter report that a source specifically said that RG that wanted Satele over AQ?

Or did a bunch of people on this forum choose to connect the dots because they believe RG bullied working-class-hero Pagano in order to "save face" over signing Satele?

Who reported that RG wanted Satele to start over AQ?  What report ever mentioned those names?

BTW, In the other thread, "sources confirmed" that the Colts were all in on Nagy but that he rejected the Colts. That's a fact you know.

Matt Nagy's departure from the Chiefs felt so much like John Fox's departure from the Broncos, on the heels of a one-and-done at home, one foot out the door, and the irony was Nagy replacing Fox. Adam Gase, Kyle Shanahan, Sean McVay, Matt Nagy, that is the sexy trend of OCs jumping ship now.

I still think we go with Josh McDaniels or Dave Toub, that is where things are heading. The Falcons had to wait till after the SB to hire Dan Quinn in 2015, didn't they? It has worked out well. I hope that is not the case here with McDaniels (you know what I am doing here). :thmup:

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

What report even mentioned the oline players involved back then?  Did a reporter report that a source specifically said that RG that wanted Satele over AQ,

Or did a bunch of people on this forum connect the dots because they believe RG bullied working-class-hero Pagano in order to "save face" over signing Satele?

Sources.  Who reported that RG wanted Satele to start over AQ?  What report ever mentioned those names?

BTW, In the other thread, "sources confirmed" that the Colts were all in on Nagy but that he rejected the Colts. That's a fact you know.

I don't know why your latching on to specific assignments.    As I recall the comments were more generic...   along the lines that questionable lineup decisions were not Pagano's fault.   That they were made by someone else.   And everyone knew who that was.    Those kind of comments.

Again....    Who?   Got?   Fired?

Right now you are spitting into the wind, but you're telling yourself it's rain.   I don't think you've made a good argument yet.

12 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don't know why your latching on to specific assignments.    As I recall the comments were more generic...   along the lines that questionable lineup decisions were not Pagano's fault.   That they were made by someone else.   And everyone knew who that was.    Those kind of comments.

Again....    Who?   Got?   Fired?

Right now you are spitting into the wind, but you're telling yourself it's rain.   I don't think you've made a good argument yet.

What is it that you're arguing? 

I simply said that unnamed sources aren't fact, and you get all over me about it.

Its sounds more likely to me that the reporter was selling copy to the working-class-hero crowd and said it in such a way they connected the dots....and bought more.....without ever actually reporting a fact.

And Irsay said that Grigson got fired for meddling in lineups?   I don't believe he said that. 

The only way starting a 6'6 310 pound LG who played RT in college at RT is "questionable" to a fan, is because the fan didn't like it.