Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay's Monday Presser Leaves Me With One Question...

In today's media presser, Irsay spoke about Luck's return for next year and him having a "107-Degree Fever" to get back. In one of his quotes though, he said something I find very interesting:

"You put him (Luck) on that field... and all of the sudden you put an Edgerrin James type of player maybe that's bigger, faster, and stronger and let this man continue the job that he's already begun to do." 

Now, the bolded part I find very strange. This is obviously not talking about Luck here, as he is only bigger and maybe, maybe stronger than the Edge, but definitely not faster. This makes me think he is talking about bringing someone in, another running back. One name popped up in my mind, and that's the player in CFB that some scouts are already projecting as a "bigger, faster, stronger Edge: Saqoun Barkley. Could Irsay possibly be hinting towards the Colts looking to draft Barkley, or could it be a terrible misinterpretation? Either way, this is a very strange and interesting comment by the owner.

i would be happy, its way to early to tell, but i think he has the best value at #3, assuming he doesnt go to the Browns or Giants at 1 and 2. I have not really dived in to researching the draft too much yet but i have heard rumors that he is a better prospect than Elliot.

Irsay has a way of putting his foot in his mouth imo. First it was the Star Wars numbers instead of winning Super Bowls when Luck got here taking a swipe at Peyton and Polian and now taking a swipe at Edge. If Barkley even has the same career as Edge he would be HOF worthy. If we take Barkley and he has the same impact that Edge did we could be back in the playoffs...because Edge was awesome! Barkley is similar in size to Edge and definitely more explosive but I wouldn’t say more powerful or stronger. Edge finished runs....my only critic of Barkley is he looks for the home run ball too much and doesn’t grind out those necessary yards. If he is stronger than Edge I’ve not really seen it.

i will say though this might work to our advantage to create trade value at 3 for him that could add to the value we have for qb hungry teams.

It's also a possibility that Irsay was deliberately trying to do a smoke screen.    To deliberatel stir the pot and try and drum up interest in the 3rd overall pick.      This may have been done at Ballard's request.     Or not.

But I don't think it can be ruled out.     Irsay has been around a long, long time and he knows there is lots of smoke put out at this time of year....    and most of it is not a fire....     it's just bluffing to muddy the waters...

They don't call this the Silly Season for nothing....

1 hour ago, esmort said:

Let's hope he is not going to pressure Ballard to take Barkley... what a waste of the #3 pick. Who knows when we will pick that high again, and RB is one of the easiest positions to fill with less valuable picks. 

While I am not to keen on taking a RB at pick three it is not out of the question.

With a high pick in each round and a boat load of cap money to spend it could very well be Barkley at pick three if he still there.

As far as you thinking it would be a wasted pick no one knows that at all.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

While I am not to keen on taking a RB at pick three it is not out of the question.

With a high pick in each round and a boat load of cap money to spend it could very well be Barkley at pick three if he still there.

As far as you thinking it would be a wasted pick no one knows that at all.

I don't think its out of the question it's a possibility they might do it .... but, it would definitely be a wasted pick.  RB in the first round (especially at pick #3) just isn't worth it. Not only is the game impact not as noticeable between the "top tier" backs and the "just good" backs as it is for some other positions; but the off talent drop off from 1st round RBs to RBs acquired in later rounds just isn't enough to justify the pick.

A premium position in the 1st and a RB in the 2nd has a much better chance of giving us a better "bang for our buck" than a RB in the 1st and a premium position 2nd.

Making the pick even worse IMO is this is another deep RB class.

5 hours ago, esmort said:

I don't think its out of the question it's a possibility they might do it .... but, it would definitely be a wasted pick.  RB in the first round (especially at pick #3) just isn't worth it. Not only is the game impact not as noticeable between the "top tier" backs and the "just good" backs as it is for some other positions; but the off talent drop off from 1st round RBs to RBs acquired in later rounds just isn't enough to justify the pick.

A premium position in the 1st and a RB in the 2nd has a much better chance of giving us a better "bang for our buck" than a RB in the 1st and a premium position 2nd.

Making the pick even worse IMO is this is another deep RB class.

Normally I agree totally.  The only exception I would say is when a RB has the talent to take it to the house by himself, without a lot of help from his oline.  Break a tackle, shake the next guy, then outrun the rest.  Very few RBs can do all three and most of the better ones in the NFL can do only two.

Nick Chubb is a round 2 or 3 guy.  While he is a young Frank Gore type and will get his yards, he will get caught from behind if he breaks open.  Lighter guys with speed and wiggle can't break NFL tackles so well, so the blocking has to fall the right way.

If Barkley can truly do all three, then he is a threat to score every time he touches the ball.  Like EJ (pre injury) he would have to be accounted for in a significant way.  

Part of this depends on who the coach is. If it's, say, McDaniels I would be stoked to get Barkley because I know that he would be utilized to his potential using him as a receiver. That would take a ton of pressure off the o-line and QB. 

If we don't get a coach that would maximize his tools, then it would be a terrible pick. 

It's the difference between McVay and Fisher for Gurley. 

Y’know, in the past Irsay’s comments prior to the draft have proven to be closer to misdirection than hints to an early draft strategy.  Don’t have any examples to give, but I think he loves to play draft intel games...

5 hours ago, DougDew said:

Normally I agree totally.  The only exception I would say is when a RB has the talent to take it to the house by himself, without a lot of help from his oline.  Break a tackle, shake the next guy, then outrun the rest.  Very few RBs can do all three and most of the better ones in the NFL can do only two.

Nick Chubb is a round 2 or 3 guy.  While he is a young Frank Gore type and will get his yards, he will get caught from behind if he breaks open.  Lighter guys with speed and wiggle can't break NFL tackles so well, so the blocking has to fall the right way.

If Barkley can truly do all three, then he is a threat to score every time he touches the ball.  Like EJ (pre injury) he would have to be accounted for in a significant way.  

Nick Chubb is similar to Kareem Hunt to me.   Should be a pretty good player. If we don't get Barkley I tihnk Chubb would be the next guy on the list.

I would love Chubb in the 3rd if he's there, if only because he seems like the type of back to pair with Mack. But right now,  with limited info, I get the Hunt vibe from Penny more than anyone. If either is there at the start of the 3rd, I'd definitely be down.

15 hours ago, krunk said:

Nick Chubb is similar to Kareem Hunt to me.   Should be a pretty good player. If we don't get Barkley I tihnk Chubb would be the next guy on the list.

Krunk have you seen Penny play? The kid is 5'10 220 with an extra gear. He has great vision balance and acceleration. He see's the seam and is through it. He runs through arm tackles and has wiggle for a guy his size. He has good hands out of the backfield catching the ball. He's lethal on kick off's and had a punt return touchdown this year. 

The only thing he doesn't do well  is pass block I am not sure what to call his blocking. That will be an issue for us because Mack is lacking in that area as well. I think he's the second best back in this class. We drafted a RB from SDSU not so long ago who ended up being pretty good. 

On 1/1/2018 at 8:22 PM, BOTT said:

Jim likes to ramble. He leaves player acquisitions to the GM.

Honestly I think it's more this or anything.  I don't think it's a tip of any players we are looking at drafting, nor do I think it's some sort of smoke screen or anything like that.

I think it's honestly just him rambling.  

On 1/2/2018 at 1:22 AM, NewColtsFan said:

It's also a possibility that Irsay was deliberately trying to do a smoke screen.    To deliberatel stir the pot and try and drum up interest in the 3rd overall pick.      This may have been done at Ballard's request.     Or not.

But I don't think it can be ruled out.     Irsay has been around a long, long time and he knows there is lots of smoke put out at this time of year....    and most of it is not a fire....     it's just bluffing to muddy the waters...

They don't call this the Silly Season for nothing....

I think you're right.  I could even see them trying to use the uncertainty surrounding Lucks' shoulder to float the idea that the Colts might consider one of the QBs if they're still available at #3.

It only takes that first team to jump the gun on a non-QB with the first pick or two, and all of a sudden the dominoes start to fall and teams are trying to jump up the board to get a QB that nobody thought would be available at #3.

Whether teams are trying to get a QB or Barkley, we could have a bidding war for #3 if the chips fall our way.  :thmup: