Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay/Ballard presser at 4pm

RockThatBlue

3 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

This presser is hilarious, Ballard tries to play it coy and conservative and spin a narrative and Jim contradicts him with his exuberance every other question.

Yup, Jim just can’t help himself. He’s harping on Andrew Luck coming back and I can only imagine what’s going on in Ballard’s head right now haha

Also, I think Irsay wants a top RB. Anyone else catch that?

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, CamMo said:

Yup, Jim just can’t help himself. He’s harping on Andrew Luck coming back and I can only imagine what’s going on in Ballard’s head right now haha

Also, I think Irsay wants a top RB. Anyone else catch that?

Yep, sure made it sound like he loves him some Saquan Barkley.

Chris Ballard starts off talking about expectations. Said Chuck never lost the locker room. The players never lost focused, and never tanked. They showed up every week. Without a great locker room it is hard to win in this league. We have to have high standards. Our young players grew as the season went along. 

A lot of job openings. We will keep everything internal (in house). It will be a wide-open search. We are going to get the right fit for the Indianapolis Colts. 

Now Chris is taking questions. 

It is not a requirement for the new coach to have prior NFL head coaching experience. We want a staff full of teachers that can develop players. 

Jim was asked what led to making the change of head coach.

It was not any secret that we were evaluating Chuck last year. We wanted to have continuity. In the end it came down to the final day, and making sure we were doing the right thing. The decision was made, and it was tough to let a good man go. We were leaning towards making a change as the season went on. The Jacksonville game was very disappointing. We have to give Chuck a lot of credit. In the end, we felt we needed to make a change so we did. 

Chris: We are going to take our time to make sure we have the right fit for this organization. At the end of the day it will be the gut feeling of when it is the right guy. After we spend enough time with the person then we will know. Anytime you are a GM and you don't have a short list of names you better always have a running list of the available coaches. 

The new head coach will make the decision to keep the current coaches. He does not need to be offensive or defensive minded. I don't want someone to come here for just Andrew Luck. If a candidate is concerned about Andrew Luck then he is not the right fit.

Jim: Andrew is coming back, and he makes this job that much more enticing. The great fan base we have. The great tradition we have. The incredible stadium we have. 2012 was absolutely incredible. We had an Executive of the Year award. If you come around the horseshoe then you are coming to something special. Jacoby really did some special things. The commitment we have in winning. This is something that should last for decades and decades.

I am thankful, Chris acknowledged to me that he really wanted to come to the Colts. Peopl are going to be excited about coming here and having a chance to get this job. You don't know the fire that is burning in #12's eyes. He ahs a 110 fever. You put him on that field with and Edgerrin James type "BARKLEY! WHOA"... That last part was me. But he said it. LOL

Jim continues... Ideally we would like to have someone we can have success for 10-12 years, but we are not ruling out older coaches who might not plan to coach that long either. 

I don't have super powers. I cannot see through concrete walls. I can say that from being around football for half a century, that this thing just took longer than we thought it would. The surgery was a success. When I made the comment about being 3-4 inches between you ears, I was talking about myself. I was injured, and questioned should I train or not train. I am not trying to sell something that I don't believe in. This horseshoe is bigger than us all, and it will prevail without me, Chris or Andrew. I do believe that from talking to the doctors that he can come back. My optimism was absolutely genuine. One of the finest shoulder doctors in the world said the shoulder surgery was outstanding. Each case is different. It just longer for the shoulder to heal.

I am an optimist, but I am also a realist. I am not going to nonsense anyone. I am telling you that I have no doubt in my mind that Andrew is going to come back. That kid is a special kid. He was born to do great things in the NFL and he will do great things in the NFL! That is coming form someone who has been in this game for half a century. And that is coming from someone that was brought into this game by Johnny Unitas, who slapped my butt in the locker room and said get out of the way kid.

Irsay continues:

Whether we trade the pick or keep the pick, it is a tremendous asset. The type of equity we have with this type of draft pick, plus we were in every game this year. We could have been in the wildcard weekend. That's how close we are.

God rest his soul Ron Meyer, he had a car salesman aspect to him and he was fun. I feel that Andrew is going to be back and he will write his name into the NFL in a very important way. If you told me that he was going to miss the entire year last year then I could not have believed you. 

Continue on..... Irsay continues... Time will tell, but I am sincere when I tell you Andrew will be back. 

Chris: We will continue to add competition. We will start throwing soon and that will tell us a lot. 

Press Conference over. 

Sorry for the typing mistakes. I was doing this on the fly, :D 

Irsay is hard to listen to anymore. Honestly wish he would just stop speaking altogether.  I feel he does more harm then good anymore.  Ballard did not want this to be about Luck that was obvious in how he answered the question about guys wanting to come here because of Andrew.  Then Irsay goes and rambles for 10 minutes all about Andrew. I personally don't believe a word Irsay says anymore anyway.

9 minutes ago, indy1888 said:

Maybe, but he was right about Irsay, he hasn't been right on the Luck issue yet.

So what? It's well known that the Colts expected Luck to be able to play in 2017, and he had a setback. Does anyone really think the Colts are even remotely considering giving up on Andrew Luck at this point? 

What we all recognize is that no one will be confident in Luck returning and playing at a high level until he actually suits up and plays well, so we might as well stop grilling the owner about it. Just wait and see what happens.