Possible mutual interest between colts and Josh Mcdaniels

CR91

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

McDaniels.

I'm coming around on Toub, if he's the last man standing. I'm okay with Shurmur or Reich, more hesitant on DeFillippo and Nagy. Wilks is an interesting candidate, but it's hard for me to get behind a defensive guy when I don't know what kind of offense he wants. If we bring in another Coryell coordinator, I'm going to scream.

I also want McDaniels. Wilks is a 1 year DC isn't he? I'm a little worried about going that route again. 

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

As long as we get Barkley in the second round, I'm on board with that. ;)

Lol he could easily be the Edge equivalent for Luck that he’s never had.

3 minutes ago, SLILLINGTON10 said:

Or maybe an offensive line.

Offensive scheme and free agency and the draft could really help turn that around and still allow the Colts to get a superb RB that this team hasn’t had in a long time.

3 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I also want McDaniels. Wilks is a 1 year DC isn't he? I'm a little worried about going that route again. 

He is, but he's been moving up and handling more and more responsibilities over the last few years. To me, he's a little more prepared for the big job than Pagano was, but I don't know that for sure.

But my main reason for being more interested in the offensive guys is because I know what their approach will be on that side of the ball. And specific to coaching, I think how we've run our offense has been the biggest schematic shortcoming in recent seasons. 

2 minutes ago, Restored said:

Lol he could easily be the Edge equivalent for Luck that he’s never had.

I think the NFL has changed dramatically in the last 20 years. I also think you can get a quality RB in later rounds. I'm watching Derrius Guice show out against Notre Dame right now, I wouldn't mind him in the second. He's not as good as Barkley, but he could be a lead back for a good offense also.

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

He is, but he's been moving up and handling more and more responsibilities over the last few years. To me, he's a little more prepared for the big job than Pagano was, but I don't know that for sure.

But my main reason for being more interested in the offensive guys is because I know what their approach will be on that side of the ball. And specific to coaching, I think how we've run our offense has been the biggest schematic shortcoming in recent seasons. 

I definitely want and offensive minfdes coach that's why I'm not big on Toub or Wilks. And the thought of Luck in a system that Brady runs is great I think he would protect him better as well and we need that more than anything. 

4 hours ago, Superman said:

I think the NFL has changed dramatically in the last 20 years. I also think you can get a quality RB in later rounds. I'm watching Derrius Guice show out against Notre Dame right now, I wouldn't mind him in the second. He's not as good as Barkley, but he could be a lead back for a good offense also.

Look I’m not advocating for Barkley because he’s a “good” RB like the rest of the players could easily be. I’m advocating for him because he’s a special talent on the lines of Zeke Elliott with the Cowboys. The era of the every down back is fading yes, but the impact of having a truly special RB has not.

1 minute ago, Restored said:

Look I’m not advocating for Barkley because he’s a “good” RB like the rest of the players could easily be. I’m advocating for him because he’s a special talent on the lines of Zeke Elliott with the Cowboys. The era of the every down back is fading yes, but the impact of having a truly special RB has not.

I think it has faded. Zeke is a stud and all, but demarco Murray was league MVP under similar circumstances.

2 minutes ago, BOTT said:

I think it has faded. Zeke is a stud and all, but demarco Murray was league MVP under similar circumstances.

Look at what Gurley has done as well. The problem is that the talent level of RB’s has leveled along with offenses in the NFL not requiring the running game to be the focal point. But a back like Barkley could be beneficial to Luck in more ways than one.

4 hours ago, Restored said:

Imagine for a moment a Colts offense with Luck, Hilton, Landry and Barkley with McDaniels running the system.

If he is the head coach he might not be running the offense as much as some might think. Whoever he picks as offensive coordinator would likely be doing that. As head coach McDaniels would have more responsibilities and will have to give his attention to all areas of the team. Similar to when Pagano was hired how many of us expected he would transform the Colts defense into the Ravens lite and be heavily involved on that side of the ball.  Didn’t quite happen that way and Pagano ended up mostly entrusting his defenses to his various DC’s. I think McDaniels would have some involvement in the offense but to be effective in a head coaching capacity he probably won’t be able to be as involved in the offense as he currently is in his role with New England. 

1 minute ago, Coltsman1788 said:

If he is the head coach he might not be running the offense as much as some might think. Whoever he picks as offensive coordinator would likely be doing that. As head coach McDaniels would have more responsibilities and will have to give his attention to all areas of the team. Similar to when Pagano was hired how many of us expected he would transform the Colts defense into the Ravens lite and be heavily involved on that side of the ball.  Didn’t quite happen that way and Pagano ended up mostly entrusting his defenses to his various DC’s. I think McDaniels would have some involvement in the offense but to be effective in a head coaching capacity he probably won’t be able to be as involved in the offense as he currently is in his role with New England. 

Yeah but I certainly think part of his draw would be the type of offensive system he wants to run. The EP system he runs in New England could easily be run with a different OC but it’s more predicated on the QB and his ability to dissect a defense and run concept plays in which Luck could easily be one of the best at given his level of talent.

I would like Josh Mc a lot but I would be most interested in his OC and OL coach that they are on the same page. That was a large problem in my opinion since Chudzinski and Philbin have been together. I think our OL personnel is better than they appear but scheme doesn't fit them either. Please, I am not saying we have great OL personnel, but again better than they appear with a better scheme.

On 1/1/2018 at 12:02 AM, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

I don't know??  McDaniels reminds me of a short punk guy who want to be tough smart butt guy like  Bellaick but has no pelts on the wall! He might be good for the offense but the team?? I hope we talk to more people maybe MacDaniels has changed we will see? I would like to see Pat Shumer get a look see!

Yeah, I'm on board with Shurmur I hope they interview him. 

On 12/31/2017 at 9:54 PM, csmopar said:

Question is if we were to bring in a offensive minded coach, who would we want at DC?

Well, we hired the last guy assuming he would bring a much needed jolt to the defense and how did that work out? Whoever we hire needs to be capable of managing the whole enchilada. While McDaniels is an OC, I don't think we should assume that means he is weak on or disinterested in a strong defense.