Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why Saquon Barkley should be our 2nd or third pick

horseshoecrabs

16 minutes ago, IinD said:

I honestly wouldn't be opposed to it if we were even average on both the O and D line, but we are far from that.

He wouldn't do much with our guys blocking. 

If Ballard somehow goes out and gets a couple G's (good high priced ones) I could buy the idea. But right now, he'd probably average 50-75 HARD EARNED yds on this team per game. Not exactly getting much return on such high pick.

A pass rusher who even gets 7/8 Saks would be better then what we had this year. Sheard had 5 as our leader.

We used to have double digit guys on both sides on D. We sorely need that again. 

I agree. We add a good pass rusher and the rest of the defense will be a lot better. Teams getting big plays against us are directly related to the opposing teams QB having the time to pick us apart.

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I have said that all along. Even if the Browns don't take him the Giants will. If the Browns do take him they still get their QB with pick #4

Not if some team trades up with the team who is picking 3rd...    I believe that team plays in the state of Indiana... 

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Not if some team trades up with the team who is picking 4th....    I believe that team plays in the state of Indiana... 

Why should the Browns trade either #1 or #4 away? They get the best RB and QB. Basic drafting 101.

I don't see them trading at all.

12 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Why should the Browns trade either #1 or #4 away? They get the best RB and QB. Basic drafting 101.

I don't see them trading at all.

Are you deliberately doing this?

EXAMPLE:

1.Browns take Barkley

2. Giants take Rosen 

3. Colts trade with team who wants Darnold 

4.  Browns take who?   

And this is just one scenario....

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

EXAMPLE:

1.Browns take Barkley

2. Giants take Rosen 

4.  Browns take who?   

that would be so good.  After watching the sugar bowl i'm sold on Fitzpatrick but if that happens the trade options will be too good i think.

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

EXAMPLE:

1.Browns take Barkley

2. Giants take Rosen 

4.  Browns take who?   

They could take Josh Allen or Mayfield, or try and get Lamar Jackson in 2nd...I think it's a good possibility they offer Cousins a boatload of money, and take Fitzpatrick or Chubb at 4....People are sleeping on Jackson he could be the next Mike Vick...

16 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Barkley IMO is going #1 to the Browns or #2 to the Giants. The Colts wont see him.

I wouldn't be surprised if Barkley fell all the way to 5. There's going to be a run on QBs at the top of the draft. I wouldn't be shocked to see 4 QBs go in the first 4 picks.

6 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

They could take Josh Allen or Mayfield, or try and get Lamar Jackson in 2nd...I think it's a good possibility they offer Cousins a boatload of money, and take Fitzpatrick or Chubb at 4....People are sleeping on Jackson he could be the next Mike Vick...

If Cleve signs Cousins or another FA QB that would change EVERYTHING.   

I don't see Allen or Mayfield going that high..   I don't think they're top-5 players...

As for Jackson...   he's a fan-tas-tic athlete...     I'm just not sure he's a fantastic quarterback...

11 minutes ago, Dustin said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Barkley fell all the way to 5. There's going to be a run on QBs at the top of the draft. I wouldn't be shocked to see 4 QBs go in the first 4 picks.

Good to see you posting!    

You've been missed....

Welcome back!        :thmup:

40 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

39 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

EXAMPLE:

1.Browns take Barkley

2. Giants take Rosen 

4.  Browns take who?   

A possible, but not plausible, scenario. Doubtful we trade that pick unless we get amazing value. Something like two 1's and a 2.  Something above what our pick is worth. The only team that is going to jump up to get a QB are the jets at 6. 

So that means that either Williams or nelson will be gone at 5th, and the browns would probably select minkah or chubbs at 4th. 

48 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

EXAMPLE:

1.Browns take Barkley

2. Giants take Rosen 

4.  Browns take who?   

Why are you assuming the Giants are taking a QB?  The owners has already said he wanted Eli to be his starter next season.

On 1/2/2018 at 5:40 PM, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Oh definitely. All I'm saying is that I'm not so sure that Chubb's going to be the slam dunk double-digit sack guy that everyone's projecting him to be. I'm probably just jaded about pass rushers that don't fit our scheme after Bjoern Werner ended up being such a massive bust.

OUR scheme, and the NFL's is a 4 man front on 2nd or 3rd and long. Chubbs strength.
So Chubb doesn't meet your minimum Expectations as a 3-4 end in a standard hybrid D. Hmmm!
I think he will become VERY Difficult to run against. And very good against screens. JMO.

36 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

If Cleve signs Cousins or another FA QB that would change EVERYTHING.   

I don't see Allen or Mayfield going that high..   I don't think they're top-5 players...

As for Jackson...   he's a fan-tas-tic athlete...     I'm just not sure he's a fantastic quarterback...

If the Browns do take Barkley just because you don't think Allen or Mayfield are not top 5 that don't mean the Browns wont take them anyway does it?

Maybe this has been posted, but I just watched it and WOW!!!  This guy has IT ALL...speed, power, pass catching, breaking runs with or without blocks in front of him...he even passed for a TD.

If we take him, I don't consider it a wasted pick.  Would give our offense a weapon we haven't had for many years and would take a lot of pressure off Luck.

https://youtu.be/gtBKDkgVVMY

30 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

A possible, but not plausible, scenario. Doubtful we trade that pick unless we get amazing value. Something like two 1's and a 2.  Something above what our pick is worth. The only team that is going to jump up to get a QB are the jets at 6. 

So that means that either Williams or nelson will be gone at 5th, and the browns would probably select minkah or chubbs at 4th. 

I think there's a better chance of trading back not as far for a smaller deal...   I don't think we want to trade back so far that big a haul...   we'd miss out on the top players....

Another team that might trade up for a QB is Denver...    and depending on what Cleve does at 1 they might want to move to 3 to get who they want...

All sorts of plausible possibilities....

28 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Why are you assuming the Giants are taking a QB?  The owners has already said he wanted Eli to be his starter next season.

Because teams don't get to pick 2nd very often..   they could pick Rosen and sit him for a year..     

You could put the name CHUBB theee if it would make it easier to understand...   it was just one example...   

The point is we will have trade options and Cleve may have to trade to get the two players they want and not just stand pat and wait...

29 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

If the Browns do take Barkley just because you don't think Allen or Mayfield are not top 5 that don't mean the Browns wont take them anyway does it?

Now you're just being argumentative....

You could make the same claim for any QB in the draft.   No way to know for sure until the announcement is made.

Come on now...   

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Because teams don't get to pick 2nd very often..   they could pick Rosen and sit him for a year..     

You could put the name CHUBB theee if it would make it easier to understand...   it was just one example...   

The point is we will have trade options and Cleve may have to trade to get the two players they want and not just stand pat and wait...

A stronger point is that none of this is nothing but opinion. From the past NFL drafts they never go what the popular opinions are. The are so many different scenarios guessing what will happen is next to zero.

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Now you're just being argumentative....

You could make the same claim for any QB in the draft.   No way to know for sure until the announcement is made.

Come on now...   

Argumentative? Any more than you?  It don't matter anyway. Things never go as people in a forum thinks they will including me.

41 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

OUR scheme, and the NFL's is a 4 man front on 2nd or 3rd and long. Chubbs strength.
So Chubb doesn't meet your minimum Expectations as a 3-4 end in a standard hybrid D. Hmmm!
I think he will become VERY Difficult to run against. And very good against screens. JMO.

I'm not opposed to taking Chubb, at all, I just don't think that if it's him or Barkley that the decision will be as cut & dry as many seem to think. And as far as my expectations go, taking an EDGE at #3 overall, I'd like to see 10ish sacks & potentially DROY. Anything less would be kind of disappointing for a prospect coming into the league with as much hype as Chubb has surrounding him.

26 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

Maybe this has been posted, but I just watched it and WOW!!!  This guy has IT ALL...speed, power, pass catching, breaking runs with or without blocks in front of him...he even passed for a TD.

If we take him, I don't consider it a wasted pick.  Would give our offense a weapon we haven't had for many years and would take a lot of pressure off Luck.

https://youtu.be/gtBKDkgVVMY

I saw this one today... there's a lot to be said about a guy who's highlight reel is 14 minutes long LOL.

3 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I saw this one today... there's a lot to be said about a guy who's highlight reel is 14 minutes long LOL.

Although he probably  wont be there for our pick, if he was, unless some team offered a boat load of picks to move up, I don't see how you pass on a guy of that talent. He would sure make the offense exciting again, not just running but catching screen passes

43 minutes ago, horseshoecrabs said:

Although he probably  wont be there for our pick, if he was, unless some team offered a boat load of picks to move up, I don't see how you pass on a guy of that talent. He would sure make the offense exciting again, not just running but catching screen passes

Saquon Barkley and Marlon Mack would make for such a lethal RB tandem.

The guy looks great that's for sure.  But how would he look behind our o-line?  I still feel like we need improvements on both the O and D line and that is where I would start. 

Everything else looks easier when the lines are popping.

2 minutes ago, gspdx said:

The guy looks great that's for sure.  But how would he look behind our o-line?  I still feel like we need improvements on both the O and D line and that is where I would start. 

Everything else looks easier when the lines are popping.

The Colts have so much cap space and several draft picks after the first round... they can draft Barkley and still make the offensive line a focal point in the offseason, they're not mutually exclusive.

14 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

The Colts have so much cap space and several draft picks after the first round... they can draft Barkley and still make the offensive line a focal point in the offseason, they're not mutually exclusive.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. I'm going to wait until FA starts and see what happens. If we somehow make a couple big splashes for O-Line talent, then I could maybe see Ballard picking Barkley. But I have a bigger feeling that he will like to grab more picks and trade back.

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

A stronger point is that none of this is nothing but opinion. From the past NFL drafts they never go what the popular opinions are. The are so many different scenarios guessing what will happen is next to zero.

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Argumentative? Any more than you?  It don't matter anyway. Things never go as people in a forum thinks they will including me.

So far,  there are almost no reputable projections of Mayfiled or Allen going in the top-10.    

The one prediction I read that made my eyes pop out is one unnamed NFL exec predicts Cleveland, with Dorsey as the GM,  will take Allen first overall.     Said the Browns have a scout who loved Carson Wentz and wanted the Browns to take him first,  and the same scout loves Allen just as much.    That's the one and only prediction from someone reputable that I've seen.

Otherwise,  Mayfield and Allen are viewed as guys who should likely go in the middle of the first round.    Could they go higher?    Sure.    It's possible.    But as of today,  it's not likely.    Yes, it could change between now and the draft.

Remember,  Watson and Mahomes were highly thought of.    I think Watson went roughly 12th last year,  and Mahomes around 20th or so.      The top QB's don't always go at the top of the draft.    Sometimes they slip a bit and teams get them a little later.

We have the #3 overall pick and early picks in the subsequent rounds. We also have roughly 78 Million in cap money.

This allows us to fix the O-line through the draft or through FA. If we choose to fix the O-line through FA, then there is no reason why we cannot draft Barkley at #3, unless it goes against some philosophy you have about positions and their draft value.

Due to Luck's immediate impact on this team, we never really had a shot at a rebuild through the draft, having to pick in the 20's, or near. Now, we have a shot at building the O-line, improving the offense and further strengthening the defense through both the draft and FA. I'm excited for this off season.

39 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

So far,  there are almost no reputable projections of Mayfiled or Allen going in the top-10.    

The one prediction I read that made my eyes pop out is one unnamed NFL exec predicts Cleveland, with Dorsey as the GM,  will take Allen first overall.     Said the Browns have a scout who loved Carson Wentz and wanted the Browns to take him first,  and the same scout loves Allen just as much.    That's the one and only prediction from someone reputable that I've seen.

Otherwise,  Mayfield and Allen are viewed as guys who should likely go in the middle of the first round.    Could they go higher?    Sure.    It's possible.    But as of today,  it's not likely.    Yes, it could change between now and the draft.

Remember,  Watson and Mahomes were highly thought of.    I think Watson went roughly 12th last year,  and Mahomes around 20th or so.      The top QB's don't always go at the top of the draft.    Sometimes they slip a bit and teams get them a little later.

WalterFootball and USA Today have Mayfield at 6 - the Jet's are that other top 10 team in need of a QB (we presume, since they never bothered to play Hackemberg).  But your point is well taken, and isn't disproved by a couple of articles forcing a move by the Jets.  I think all of the QBs in this draft are flawed, but I will say that 2019 looks like a wasteland compared to 2018, so teams better get what they can now.  I mean, the top names might be Eason, Litton, Stidham????   And the long free agent list this year will all be signed long term.  My point is, I wouldn't be shocked to see someone try to move up this year out of panic. 

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think there's a better chance of trading back not as far for a smaller deal...   I don't think we want to trade back so far that big a haul...   we'd miss out on the top players....

Another team that might trade up for a QB is Denver...    and depending on what Cleve does at 1 they might want to move to 3 to get who they want...

All sorts of plausible possibilities....

I don't see Denver getting a QB, but sure.