Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rapoport: Irsay already making calls, plus names to watch for

RockThatBlue

44 minutes ago, BOTT said:

I think it's key for any HC to get top coordinators.  Even the offensive minded head coaches that call plays have the OC come up the the game plan.

i have no opinion on Toub, but I think people make a too big of deal about what side of the ball a potential HC should come from. It's more about leadership, building culture and hiring a good staff imo.

Yeah the only reason I want an offensive guy is because I only really like the offensive minded candidates. Toub's the only non-OC that I kind of want. Not high on any DC's or any other ST's guys out there. 

I agree with most everything you said but I think I'd quibble with the first sentence. Guys like McVay/Shanny, I think it was more important who they hired as DC than OC. Sure, if their OC leaves that sucks, but they still have the same system and even more, the same playcaller. It's my opinion, whether right or wrong, that Toub would rely more on both coordinators than most coaches around the league would. It's just a reason for concern for me though, it's not enough for me not to want him, just healthy skepticism.

EDIT: What's funny is I didn't even worry about this stuff with Toub until I saw a bunch of Bears fans on reddit talking about the potential of hiring Toub. Maybe I shouldn't listen to Bears fans.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Dowhower:  A dim bulb

Kush: Too braunish

Infante:  A good OC, that was his ceiling

Caldwell:  Not sure what he contributed.  Maybe that's the problem.

Venturi:  A good DC, that was his ceiling.

Pagano: Simply overmatched by opposing HCs

Mora: Good HC, I'd like him again.

Meyer:  The HC that put Indy on the football map.  A pretty smart guy.

Arians:  The right guy at the right time

Marchibroda: A great HC that I'd like to have again

Dungy:  Probably overrated, but still the best HC the Colts have had.

Actually not a Bad list,

-From worst to best I would say:

11. Dowhower - I agree he was the worst!

10. Venturi - I do like him as a Colts analyst  but as a Coach he was Bad!

9. Kush - lmao 

8. Infante

7. Mora

6. Arians - Only 12 games but went 9-3. Would be higher but only Coached 12 games.

5. Caldwell - I give Peyton most of the credit but we made the SB with him.

4. Pagano - I give him the nod over Arians and Caldwell here because of longevity

3. Meyer - Loved him, 1987 was such a fun season.

2. Marchibroda - 1995!

1. Dungy - He made the HOFame so I guess that would classify him as Great. I don't think without Peyton he wins a SB but he's the best Coach we have ever had. Anywhere else he may have been just Good to Very Good like in Tampa.

-I have Chuck 4th on this list which seems crazy but compared to what we have had, I think 4 is accurate.

2 hours ago, IndyD4U said:

The question is will Pagano make it until tomorrow or will he be fired immediately after the game? 

Footnote: love the guy and I wish him the best. He won't have a problem getting another coaching job of some sort 

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

My guess is Tuesday, win or loose.

^^^  I Concur  ^^^

1 hour ago, life long said:

I have seen raven fans who would not oppose that idea. I am on the side that wants Pags gone, but i can admit some guys make better Coordinators than HC's... I wish him well, but i thought he said previously after this job he is done....

He could well be done.  Remember, he signed a 4 year extension... head coach pay ( I estimate is between 4 and 5  million per year) that is guaranteed.  He will get paid that even when let go for the next 2 years.  If he takes another football job of any kind, then the amount the Colts have to pay of his contract is probably lessened by the amount of his new contract (say 1.5 million to be head coordinator of the Cleveland Browns Cheer leading squad), then the left over difference between what the Colts contract was minus the Cleveland pay is the difference Irsay will still have to pay Chuck (offset language in the contract, which is likely).  So Pagano will get paid for 2 more years (HC type money, too) whether he gets another job, or not.

13 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Actually not a Bad list,

-From worst to best I would say:

11. Dowhower - I agree he was the worst!

10. Venturi - I do like him as a Colts analyst  but as a Coach he was Bad!

9. Kush - lmao 

8. Infante

7. Mora

6. Arians - Only 12 games but went 9-3. Would be higher but only Coached 12 games.

5. Caldwell - I give Peyton most of the credit but we made the SB with him.

4. Pagano - I give him the nod over Arians and Caldwell here because of longevity

3. Meyer - Loved him, 1987 was such a fun season.

2. Marchibroda - 1995!

1. Dungy - He made the HOFame so I guess that would classify him as Great. I don't think without Peyton he wins a SB but he's the best Coach we have ever had. Anywhere else he may have been just Good to Very Good like in Tampa.

-I have Chuck 4th on this list which seems crazy but compared to what we have had, I think 4 is accurate.

I see your point.  But as far as the more narrow issues like game-planning against opposing coaches, managing the game, and making in-game strategic decisions; I'd take Arians and Mora over Pagano in a second.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Finally a good to the point post about McDaniels.

I'd hope to get a coach like Tom Cable than a whiny ankle biter like McDaniels.

Do you want a wife beater whose supposedly an offensive line coach but hasn’t put a good line on the field in years vs a coordinator who has only put good offenses on the field his entire time as a coordinator and when he was in Denver he had zero talent.  SMART!! 

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I see your point.  But as far as the more narrow issues like game-planning against opposing coaches, managing the game, and making in-game strategic decisions; I'd take Arians and Mora over Pagano in a second.

I felt the same way about Arians for a couple of years but after watching how he Coached in Arizona I didn't see anything special. A lot of Steelers fans didn't like him either when he was OC there because his play calling was getting Ben beat up.

3 minutes ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

Do you want a wife beater whose supposedly an offensive line coach but hasn’t put a good line on the field in years vs a coordinator who has only put good offenses on the field his entire time as a coordinator and when he was in Denver he had zero talent.  SMART!! 

While we are at why dont we just hire toms ball boy too?

18 minutes ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

From a professional perspective, I don't care that someone would call him a wife beater because people throw out popular terms using different standards, so I have no way of processing that label in terms of NFL Head Coach.

As far as oline coach, I think Cable is more of a power Oline guy, in the old Raiders oline mold.  I'm not sure that the system in Seattle with Wilson at QB and no Marshon Lynch is a good fit, but I'm sure Pete Carroll thinks so.

McDaniels has had problems interacting with just about everybody outside of the NE organization, especially when he was HC for Denver.  Although he has not been physically violent with one of his antagonists, he's a bigger jerk than Cable, IMO.

Simply by what I've read, more people in the NFL think less of McDaniels than Cable.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

From a professional perspective, I don't care that someone would call him a wife beater because people throw out popular terms using different standards, so I have no way of processing that label in terms of NFL Head Coach.

As far as oline coach, I think Cable is more of a power Oline guy, in the old Raiders oline mold.  I'm not sure that the system in Seattle with Wilson at QB and no Marshon Lynch is a good fit, but I'm sure Pete Carroll thinks so.

McDaniels has had problems interacting with just about everybody outside of the NE organization, especially when he was HC for Denver.  Although he has not been physically violent to one of his antagonists, he's a bigger jerk than Cable, IMO.

I really don't want McDaniels either. At this point if we hired Nagy or Toub I would be willing to roll with it. McDaniels was awful in Denver and has rode Tom and BB for years.

Josh McDaniels - the Lane Kiffin of the NFL. The offensive Eric Mangini. His name is even Josh. Josh isn't even a name. It's what you call a 10 year old boy lol!

Tom Cable - not the guy. It wasn't all his fault in Seattle but he doesn't belong behind the biggest clipboard guys.

Bruce Arians - I know everybody loves the guy but Carson Palmer has took it worse than Ben ever did, which is a shame because he carried that team alot when they were good. He throws players under the bus, refuses to adjust and looks like he's been living in Don Coryell's basement sometimes. 

Anyway 1 quick bit about defense. There are more proven DCs available right now than ever before. If they manage to not pick 1...ugh.

Pagano crying on the sidelines during pre-game warmups should be confirmation enough that he's already aware that he's out....

Good dude and a cancer survivor, just not a good head coach. I'm sure this will becan emotional day for him and the players.

I wish him well wherever his journey takes him.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I really don't want McDaniels either. At this point if we hired Nagy or Toub I would be willing to roll with it. McDaniels was awful in Denver and has rode Tom and BB for years.

I don't think it's coincidence Brady became a better and more consistent QB when McDaniels became OC.  BB might be the greatest ever, but he still allows his coaches to coach.

1 minute ago, BloodyChamp said:

Josh McDaniels - the Lane Kiffin of the NFL. The offensive Eric Mangini. His name is even Josh. Josh isn't even a name. It's what you call a 10 year old boy lol!

Tom Cable - not the guy. It wasn't all his fault in Seattle but he doesn't belong behind the biggest clipboard guys.

Bruce Arians - I know everybody loves the guy but Carson Palmer has took it worse than Ben ever did, which is a shame because he carried that team alot when they were good. He throws players under the bus, refuses to adjust and looks like he's been living in Don Coryell's basement sometimes. 

Anyway 1 quick bit about defense. There are more proven DCs available right now than ever before. If they manage to not pick 1...ugh.

I wouldn't touch any of 3 with a 10 foot pole lmao 

2 minutes ago, BOTT said:

I don't think it's coincidence Brady became a better and more consistent QB when McDaniels became OC.  BB might be the greatest ever, but he still allows his coaches to coach.

Ok maybe I am being to rough regarding McDaniels because we could do worse, like Cable or Arians. If we hire McDaniels it wont be the end of the world IMO but I still don't want him.

1 minute ago, Scott Pennock said:

Pagano crying on the sidelines during pre-game warmups should be confirmation enough that he's already aware that he's out....

Good dude and a cancer survivor, just not a good head coach. I'm sure this will becan emotional day for him and the players.

Crying on the sideline?  Listen, Chuck is not stupid. He already knows he won't be coming back.

He has already said he wanted to be the coach of the Colts but this is nothing compared to what he has been through in his life. Is it really necessary to degrade him?

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

As of today, Nagy would be my 1st choice because he would bring with him the kind of offense that I think would be good for Luck.  I'd think Toub would have to find an OC other than Nagy, and that would be a concern.

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Crying on the sideline?  Listen, Chuck is not stupid. He already knows he won't be coming back.

He has already said he wanted to be the coach of the Colts but this is nothing compared to what he has been through in his life. Is it really necessary to degrade him?

If you look at my list of all-time Indianapolis Coaches, I have Chuck 4th so that should make you happy. He has been here a long time and has a winning record. He isn't a Great Coach but has had some Good years here.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Ok maybe I am being to rough regarding McDaniels because we could do worse, like Cable or Arians. If we hire McDaniels it wont be the end of the world IMO but I still don't want him.

I was down on him simply because he thought Tebow was a first round draft pick.  He also made some horrible trades that set the team back.  

But he adimits he was a pompous * and didn’t listen to his coordinators.  He claims he learned from it.  

I wouldnt be opposed to him, he’d get the most out of the offense.  

10 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

I don't have a feed.... is he really crying?

4 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Good grief. Fire him now!!!  :peek:

Although I would not like either reaction, I'd have more respect for the HC who threw his clipboard and headphones from anger management issues than a HC who would cry in public upon knowing he was losing his job. 

JM warped O.

16 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Although I would not like either reaction, I'd have more respect for the HC who threw his clipboard and headphones from anger management issues than a HC who would cry in public upon knowing he was losing his job. 

JM warped O.

Such an assumption. Does anyone know why he is crying? Could it be that he loves these men and their effort and he is releasing emotion over an extremely tiring year and the thought that this is his last time to lead these men?

3 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Such an assumption. Does anyone know why he is crying? Could it be that he loves these men and their effort and he is releasing emotion over an extremely tiring year and the thought that this is his last time to lead these men?

Yea and it’s not like he was on the sideline with his headset on during the game. It was well before the game and looked to me like he was with family or friends or both. I’m sure it is emotional.

6 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

But he's a professional and doing it in a stadium that seats 60,000 people....with even some filled today. 

Its okay.  I like Chuck as a person from what I've heard.

2 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Are you saying crying is unprofessional? Just curious. 

Such an assumption about what I'm saying.

Losing your coaching job is part of being a professional in the NFL.

The info presented in this thread did not suggest he was huddling with friends and family in the corner of the stadium.  It implied that he was on the sidelines in pre game warmup crying with sufficient intensity to be captured on camera.

If there is mitigating information, its fine with me.

6 minutes ago, DougDew said:

But he's a professional and doing it in a stadium that seats 60,000 people....with even some filled today. 

Its okay.  I like Chuck as a person from what I've heard.

Did you even see it or just running your mouth because you want to? He was standing with family/friends. Get over yourself, it’s OK for him to be emotional today. The man gave us everything he had for the last 6 years, that’s all you can ask for from a man. People like to make fun of his “Paganoisms” but you can tell he believes everything he says.