Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts on pace to give up 100 sacks in the last TWO years

RockThatBlue

This is a product of more than just the O-line. Overall, this is exactly what you should expect when the offensive scheme is to go for the long ball as often as we do.

Also, both Luck and Brisett hold onto the ball too long. I think this is a combination of the offensive scheme, receivers not getting open, and the QBs just knowing that they can't give up on plays because a) the defense will not hold; b) they must make plays because no one else will. 

8 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

This is a product of more than just the O-line. Overall, this is exactly what you should expect when the offensive scheme is to go for the long ball as often as we do.

Also, both Luck and Brisett hold onto the ball too long. I think this is a combination of the offensive scheme, receivers not getting open, and the QBs just knowing that they can't give up on plays because a) the defense will not hold; b) they must make plays because no one else will. 

All of that, plus really bad line play.

13 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

I don't even really blame Luck or Brissett for holding the ball too long sometimes. Its a huge product of the play calling from Chud. 

12 minutes ago, dodsworth said:

Chud's system has no concept of moving the chains. Run the ball twice for two yards per, pass an incomplete long ball then punt. Rinse and repeat.

They are all dead men walking and they know it. 

It felt like we didn't want to do anything different, even when we were down. No safety in the box to stop the run and it felt like they had resigned themselves to the "the offense is going to suck anyways" line of thinking. At least that is the vibe I got while watching the game and play calling on both sides.

Well they tend to hold the ball long based on the fact the routes ran are long..and if the entire staff knows we don’t have the line for it maybe we need to go heavy online so that maybe we can BUILD a line for it..I’d honestly rather go the short passing route but if not we better draft better linemen who can hold a block for 5 seconds if our next Oc doesn’t have the common sense to devise a short passing system to protect luck 

49 minutes ago, will426 said:

Well they tend to hold the ball long based on the fact the routes ran are long..and if the entire staff knows we don’t have the line for it maybe we need to go heavy online so that maybe we can BUILD a line for it..I’d honestly rather go the short passing route but if not we better draft better linemen who can hold a block for 5 seconds if our next Oc doesn’t have the common sense to devise a short passing system to protect luck 

Yup. The QBs will always hold the ball too long when there's a severe lack of a short passing game. I think even Peyton and Tom Brady would 'hold the ball too long' in this type of system. There's not much the QB can do about it.

4 hours ago, Flash7 said:

Agreed...still need O'Line help though.

1 hour ago, RockThatBlue said:

Yup. The QBs will always hold the ball too long when there's a severe lack of a short passing game. I think even Peyton and Tom Brady would 'hold the ball too long' in this type of system. There's not much the QB can do about it.

Not sure if you caught the pregame with Reggie, but he even said he's surprised the offensive play calling isn't more creative lately, especially since we have nothing to play for.

I think a guy as football smart as RW clearly sees we have no direction or creativity on offense.

But I agree with you, Chud hasn't done anything to make Jacoby's life any easier. I'd bet this O would look almost identically inept even if AL was back there. Only difference is he'd probably get us a win or two more by being superman.

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 7:04 PM, IinD said:

Not sure if you caught the pregame with Reggie, but he even said he's surprised the offensive play calling isn't more creative lately, especially since we have nothing to play for.

I think a guy as football smart as RW clearly sees we have no direction or creativity on offense.

But I agree with you, Chud hasn't done anything to make Jacoby's life any easier. I'd bet this O would look almost identically inept even if AL was back there. Only difference is he'd probably get us a win or two more by being superman.

Sorgi has been critical of the play calling as well. He said before the Bills game that the play calling is not helping Brissett enough and is not creative enough, I was surprised to hear him say it as hes hardly ever critical.

Grigson did TRY to build a line, but the guys he brought in were either injury prone or just not good players. He drafted Mewhort in the second and Kelly in the first. He brought in Donald Thomas and Gosder Cherilus and that blew up in his face.

I dunno. I'm not an expert on offensive lineman and the different kind of schemes these players fit. I'm plan on sitting back and waiting to see who Ballard brings in during the off-season.

I fell in love with Connor Williams though! He's the type of player I would want protecting my franchise QB, especially playing in a division with the Texans and Jaguars.

On 12/15/2017 at 7:04 PM, IinD said:

7 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

Sorgi has been critical of the play calling as well. He said before the Bills game that the play calling is not helping Brissett enough and is not creative enough, I was surprised to hear him say it as hes hardly ever critical.

I mean, what would the guy that Peyton threw to or the guy that he taught how to play quarterback know about play calling? It’s not like they’re experts or anything when we’ve got people on the board that say the coaches bear no responsibility in offensive scheme. Chud is great, Pep was great, and Bruce Arians scheme had zero faults that contributed to taught Luck to play like Roethlesberger and stand in the pocket for ten minutes every pass play. 

These threads are annoying. Most of the blame both years is on the qb’s. As Irsay said last Spring: The offensive line is fixed. Trust in Jimmy. (He has also assured us Luck is fine, except for the four inches between his ears.) Go Colts! It’s all about the ‘Shoe, baby!!