Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

New England-Miami

crazycolt1

Well they sure looked horrible last night, on both sides of the ball. Not having Edelman hurts if Gronk is also out. They will need the big guy to stay healthy for the rest of the season and playoffs if they have any shot. Without having to account for him, teams will do what Miami did (lock down on the WRs and make the Patriots try to beat you with their RBs). 

Brady's first INT, you have to just credit the player... I forget the DB's name but he closed on the ball beautifully. Cooks had two steps on him when the pass was thrown. The second pick was more of a boneheaded throw into tight coverage. This is the type of game I think of whenever someone says that Brady's success is all coaching and that he's easily replaceable. He wasn't sharp, and they lost pretty badly. Regardless of any other factors (coaching, preparation, etc) you still need your players to execute. 

1 hour ago, gspdx said:

Are you a Patriots fan?

He has no identity. He has endured years of pummeling by the Patriots that he expects the worst when it comes to rooting against the Patriots, so much that he tries reverse jinxing, jinxing, everything either hoping it comes true or does not, thus confusing himself and the others. :) 

He could do himself a favor and just let things play out and not let the Patriots' existence/success occupy his brain so much, but he won't, apparently. :)  Some Colts fans here are like that too, being honest here.

Just let it be. Bad guys win in life too (if that is how you view the Patriots), it happens, makes it more special when they do not. :thmup:

3 hours ago, GoPats said:

Well they sure looked horrible last night, on both sides of the ball. Not having Edelman hurts if Gronk is also out. They will need the big guy to stay healthy for the rest of the season and playoffs if they have any shot. Without having to account for him, teams will do what Miami did (lock down on the WRs and make the Patriots try to beat you with their RBs). 

Brady's first INT, you have to just credit the player... I forget the DB's name but he closed on the ball beautifully. Cooks had two steps on him when the pass was thrown. The second pick was more of a boneheaded throw into tight coverage. This is the type of game I think of whenever someone says that Brady's success is all coaching and that he's easily replaceable. He wasn't sharp, and they lost pretty badly. Regardless of any other factors (coaching, preparation, etc) you still need your players to execute. 

The most surprising thing to me was the Pats couldn't execute a 3rd down play. That is something they have always been pretty good at especially with the RBs out of the backfield.

16 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

The most surprising thing to me was the Pats couldn't execute a 3rd down play. That is something they have always been pretty good at especially with the RBs out of the backfield.

They didn't get James White involved till it was too late, IMO. I was really surprised they did not try using Philip Dorsett. Amendola in the slot was not Edelman and they don't run many comeback timing routes on the outside like Peyton used to do with Harrison and Wayne, IMO. Brady did that in the SB when he had to make that comeback.

The WRs on the outside (Cooks and Hogan) were not on the same page, it seems like. You would see Marvin and Reggie just break off what they are running and the ball would already be on its way, I have seen Brady execute that enough times but they don't do that as much in NE (probably because if the CB gets a jump on it, it is a pick six).

4 hours ago, GoPats said:

Yeah, Brady was definitely OFF last night.  I don't know what it is with Miami, but they always seem to rattle him.

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

That was crazy. I think they ended up 0-for-11 on 3rd downs. First game without a converted third down since 1991. 

1 hour ago, Gramz said:

Yeah, Brady was definitely OFF last night.  I don't know what it is with Miami, but they always seem to rattle him.

A lot of his early throws were poor or off target, for sure. I guess in some way it's good to get a "total stinker" like this one out of the way before the playoffs start! (Or hopefully, lol...) 

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

They didn't get James White involved till it was too late, IMO. I was really surprised they did not try using Philip Dorsett. Amendola in the slot was not Edelman and they don't run many comeback timing routes on the outside like Peyton used to do with Harrison and Wayne, IMO. Brady did that in the SB when he had to make that comeback.

The WRs on the outside (Cooks and Hogan) were not on the same page, it seems like. You would see Marvin and Reggie just break off what they are running and the ball would already be on its way, I have seen Brady execute that enough times but they don't do that as much in NE (probably because if the CB gets a jump on it, it is a pick six).

I'd love to see a breakdown (and am sure I can find it later) of the amount of time Miami was in man, vs. zone. Seemed like they played a lot of man coverage and the Patriots receivers weren't getting a lot of separation. Some bad throws on top of that. 

They also had a lot of success blitzing Brady, which is usually not a good idea. 

1 minute ago, GoPats said:

That was crazy. I think they ended up 0-for-11 on 3rd downs. First game without a converted third down since 1991. 

A lot of his early throws were poor or off target, for sure. I guess in some way it's good to get a "total stinker" like this one out of the way before the playoffs start! (Or hopefully, lol...) 

Pittsburgh, in Pittsburgh could be another tough one. But then again, it all depends on which Brady and which Big Ben show up.  You just never know.

2 minutes ago, Gramz said:

Pittsburgh, in Pittsburgh could be another tough one. But then again, it all depends on which Brady and which Big Ben show up.  You just never know.

Well that's the silver lining, I guess... despite the loss, they're still in control of their own destiny seeding-wise. They have the Steelers next week, then finish up with the Bills and Jets at home. Win all three and they're the #1 seed. I like their chances against Pittsburgh, especially coming off a loss. 

30 minutes ago, GoPats said:

I'd love to see a breakdown (and am sure I can find it later) of the amount of time Miami was in man, vs. zone. Seemed like they played a lot of man coverage and the Patriots receivers weren't getting a lot of separation. Some bad throws on top of that. 

They also had a lot of success blitzing Brady, which is usually not a good idea. 

It was the four man rush that helped them. But then, there were several times Brady had the time but couldn't find someone open. Ultimately, the Dolphins' O playing ahead changed the offensive game plan and the Patriots were not patient with the run, IMO. Sometimes, you have to stick to it, especially if their pass rush is teeing off with a lead early on. That contributed to a lot of 3 and outs. Not enough RB screens were called, or draw plays that used to be called more during the Freeney/Mathis hey days against the Colts, were called either. 

24 minutes ago, GoPats said:

Well that's the silver lining, I guess... despite the loss, they're still in control of their own destiny seeding-wise. They have the Steelers next week, then finish up with the Bills and Jets at home. Win all three and they're the #1 seed. I like their chances against Pittsburgh, especially coming off a loss. 

The thing with the Steelers is if you don't get on them quick and you let them hang around close the Steelers will steal the game. They been doing it all season.

33 minutes ago, GoPats said:

The last time they lost 2 in a row was to the Steelers and Giants in 2011 too but made the SB because they had enough of a cushion in the AFC standings. I think the 2009 case would apply if they lost to the Steelers this time when they ended up the #3 seed after losing to the Saints and Dolphins. 

I wonder when the last time was that they lost 2 straight besides that fluke stuff in2015? The 9-7 season in like 2002 or 2003? They're also better coached than the Steelers who whine and cry when they lose (granted they rarely lose). The Steelers are also getting big headed it seems. I'm not predicting it but I say a 56 point Pats win wouldn't be the world's biggest upset.

5 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

I wonder when the last time was that they lost 2 straight besides that fluke stuff in2015? The 9-7 season in like 2002 or 2003? They're also better coached than the Steelers who whine and cry when they lose (granted they rarely lose). The Steelers are also getting big headed it seems. I'm not predicting it but I say a 56 point Pats win wouldn't be the world's biggest upset.

In 2015 they actually lost 2 in a row twice (Broncos/Eagles and then Jets/Dolphins).

2012 they lost to the Cardinals and Ravens back to back.

I THINK in 2011 they lost two in a row to the Giants and Steelers.

2006 they lost 2 in a row to the Colts/Jets (both games at home too).

I didn't get to watch any tv last night so I caught up on some highlights today. Not a total shocker to me, Pats can struggle with Miami once a year it seems and they were kinda due to lose again IMO. And no Gronk was going to be a problem, it's why they NEED to keep Gronk healthy if they have any shot to win it all again this year.

It all comes down to this big whopping Pats/Steelers game. If Pittsburgh has any real shot to win it all this year they have to avoid going to Foxboro in January.

Honestly, the Pats should win........and especially with Gronk back. And they have the Steelers number. But I can't count out the Steelers this year either, they just seem very hungry to me. And it's tough to repeat in the NFL. 

If the Steelers can do it this year it would complete the final time Manning/Brady/Big Ben made the SB in consecutive seasons. However, the pattern could do it again if Eli joined an AFC team and made the big one! :) 

1 hour ago, Jules said:

I didn't get to watch any tv last night so I caught up on some highlights today. Not a total shocker to me, Pats can struggle with Miami once a year it seems and they were kinda due to lose again IMO. And no Gronk was going to be a problem, it's why they NEED to keep Gronk healthy if they have any shot to win it all again this year.

It all comes down to this big whopping Pats/Steelers game. If Pittsburgh has any real shot to win it all this year they have to avoid going to Foxboro in January.

Honestly, the Pats should win........and especially with Gronk back. And they have the Steelers number. But I can't count out the Steelers this year either, they just seem very hungry to me. And it's tough to repeat in the NFL. 

If the Steelers can do it this year it would complete the final time Manning/Brady/Big Ben made the SB in consecutive seasons. However, the pattern could do it again if Eli joined an AFC team and made the big one! :) 

Pats will go into Pittsburgh and win by 10 is my prediction. Both have great Offenses so I see it being high scoring. Since the game is at Pitt, it wont be a blow out but after the Pats losing last night I see Pats 34-24 with Gronk back. They own Pitt.

55 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Pats will go into Pittsburgh and win by 10 is my prediction. Both have great Offenses so I see it being high scoring. Since the game is at Pitt, it wont be a blow out but after the Pats losing last night I see Pats 34-24 with Gronk back. They own Pitt.

Yeah the Pats own the Steelers, but one time they owned us too. And we finally got by them. Can they do it or is too little too late for the Steelers? Peyton was still in his prime when we got by the Pats.

I don't know. I favor the Pats but I am really curious to see what happens if they meet up in the playoffs regardless of location since eventually I do think the Steelers might honestly become "due" if they are hungry enough this season for it. Defensively I don't love how Pittsburgh looks but they have had these ways lately of sneaking out wins........

Offensively right now though the Steelers are superior to the Patriots.

17 hours ago, buffalo34 said:

In 2015 they actually lost 2 in a row twice (Broncos/Eagles and then Jets/Dolphins).

2012 they lost to the Cardinals and Ravens back to back.

I THINK in 2011 they lost two in a row to the Giants and Steelers.

2006 they lost 2 in a row to the Colts/Jets (both games at home too).

In other words, they have never won a SB the last 10 years when they have lost back-to-back. 

11 hours ago, Jules said:

Yeah the Pats own the Steelers, but one time they owned us too. And we finally got by them. Can they do it or is too little too late for the Steelers? Peyton was still in his prime when we got by the Pats.

I don't know. I favor the Pats but I am really curious to see what happens if they meet up in the playoffs regardless of location since eventually I do think the Steelers might honestly become "due" if they are hungry enough this season for it. Defensively I don't love how Pittsburgh looks but they have had these ways lately of sneaking out wins........

Offensively right now though the Steelers are superior to the Patriots.

Joe Haden, who made the Steelers play more man coverage early on and be good at it, was back at practice. That was a big part in the first 10 games of the season when the Steelers' D was good against the pass.

12 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

Cutler before he was injury ridden was pretty good. He was on alot of bad teams but people used up all their excuses on Aaron Rodgers and Tony Romo the pretty boys.

Come on BC you are on a Colts forum. Golden white boy QBs is what makes our world go round and always has. haha