Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Indy dome team stereotype

Chrisaaron1023

I just got done talking to a Bills fan. We were discussing the game, when he brought up the Colts playing in buffalo in December. And I began to think, is this still even a thing? 10 years ago all we heard was "Peyton can't play in the cold." "The Colts can't play outside the dome" "We need the fast track" 

Do these things still apply?

3 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

I just got done talking to a Bills fan. We were discussing the game, when he brought up the Colts playing in buffalo in December. And I began to think, is this still even a thing? 10 years ago all we heard was "Peyton can't play in the cold." "The Colts can't play outside the dome" "We need the fast track" 

They probably still apply, but that's the least of our worries anymore. LOL!

1 hour ago, NannyMcafee said:

People stopped using the "dome team" excuse ever since we won the SB in Tampa in the rain. Pretty much for any dome team. 

Remember that Cincy game where heavy snow was expected it dominated sports talk that week not so sure that stigma is gone 

Although I can't prove it, but I believe there is a small bit of softness in teams that play indoors.

Not sure why, but teams like the Colts, Lions, Falcons seem to have trouble playing in colder weather. Not always obviously, but I specifically remember games over the years where we struggled against teams like the Bills/Browns, who in theory should be cakewalks. I wonder if the playing conditions/weather play a role in that.

7 minutes ago, IinD said:

Although I can't prove it, but I believe there is a small bit of softness in teams that play indoors.

Not sure why, but teams like the Colts, Lions, Falcons seem to have trouble playing in colder weather. Not always obviously, but I specifically remember games over the years where we struggled against teams like the Bills/Browns, who in theory should be cakewalks. I wonder if the playing conditions/weather play a role in that.

teams build their roster and scheme to play in the conditions of their stadium a lot of times

the bills get a lot of bad weather, so its not coincide they are usually a good rushing team.  

I can't ind a more recent article, but this one from 2014 shows that there is (was) truth to the indoor teams playing outdoors phenomenon.  And there are older references I found, which go back even further.  The last three seasons probably haven't impacted the below that drastically...  So I do think there is something about teams used to playing in 72 degree windless environments when they have to go outside...   

http://www.footballinsiders.com/why-are-dome-teams-struggling-outdoors/

7 hours ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Yes, but not for the reasons that most people imply. Peyton was just fine in Denver, so it wasn't the weather that effected his game. Basically what it comes down to is that playing on the road in the NFL is significantly more difficult than playing at home. Adding snow/rain to the equation, along with the crowd noise, only adds to the difficulty. Even Tom Brady has a losing road playoff record.

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

teams build their roster and scheme to play in the conditions of their stadium a lot of times

the bills get a lot of bad weather, so its not coincide they are usually a good rushing team.  

Yep..

So there definitely is some correlation. The so called tougher D's are usually outdoor teams, (ne, Pitt, sea, Baltimore).

The good O's seem to be indoors as well (atl, ind, no). Give or take a few teams of course.

1 hour ago, Dirty Mudflaps said:

I can't ind a more recent article, but this one from 2014 shows that there is (was) truth to the indoor teams playing outdoors phenomenon.  And there are older references I found, which go back even further.  The last three seasons probably haven't impacted the below that drastically...  So I do think there is something about teams used to playing in 72 degree windless environments when they have to go outside...   

http://www.footballinsiders.com/why-are-dome-teams-struggling-outdoors/

December and January are when "special teams" seem to rise...playing in a dome negates that unless you get the first round bye.  I have never been a fan of the dome or its turf....

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We were the one exception but we had Peyton. We also won at Baltimore in the 2006 Playoffs where the temps were around 40 outdoors with drizzle at times.

That was actually a very "tough" good win. 2006 was just very special. Stopped Larry Johnson wildcard, out toughed the Ravens on the road, epic comeback against the pats, and the only rainy super bowl.

25 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

That was actually a very "tough" good win. 2006 was just very special. Stopped Larry Johnson wildcard, out toughed the Ravens on the road, epic comeback against the pats, and the only rainy super bowl.

I look back at all the SB runs by different teams and we perhaps had the one of toughest of all-time. We had to face a Herm Edwards led Coach team with Larry Johnson who led the league in Rushing 1st. Everyone in the media was saying he would plow over us. Then we had to go to Baltimore and face Ray Lewis/Ed Reed/Steve McNair/Jamal Lewis and their 13-3 record on a cold drizzly day! Then we had to go through the greatest duo in this generation of Tom/BB just get to the SB. Because we beat a team that was led by Rex Grossman in the SB, the butthurt haters try to overlook what we actually accomplish. Pretty sad! That Bears team had the #1 Defense and #1 SpTeams in the league and also was 13-3 by the way - Brian Urlacher will be a HOFamer. That same Rex Grossman pounded the Saints and Drew Brees 39-14 in the NFC Title Game and were on fire going into the SB. I would debate with anyone, the 2006 Colts played unreal competition during that SB run. We earned that and we didn't cheat or have REF help to do so.

-Hence the name = 2006bestever. I would put that team up against any kind of opponent because we were able to adapt that season to even playing outdoors in the rain or cold, we beat Ray and Tom/BB, etc.. We were 10-0 at home as well, Great Teams don't lose at home - we protected homefield. We lost in 2009 but we didn't have Marvin, Bob, Adam, or Dungy - 4 gigantic pieces to what we had in 2006. Adam was injured that season and we didn't have Freeney either in the 2nd Half of that SB.

Horse Hockey. 10 below and 2 feet of snow are 10 below and 2 feet of snow no matter who you are. Bad weather affects all teams negatively with almost no measurable difference. How many players on indoor NFL teams played college ball outside, all of them?

4 hours ago, WERC82 said:

Horse Hockey. 10 below and 2 feet of snow are 10 below and 2 feet of snow no matter who you are. Bad weather affects all teams negatively with almost no measurable difference. How many players on indoor NFL teams played college ball outside, all of them?

I've often thought about this.. Arron Rodgers, cal plays in Lambou, Brady, a California guy, plays in New England.. Purdue is cold right? That's where Brees was..

Just not sure how this "dome team can't play outside" thing came from

On 12/7/2017 at 10:21 AM, NannyMcafee said:

People stopped using the "dome team" excuse ever since we won the SB in Tampa in the rain. Pretty much for any dome team. 

Tampa is not freezing cold in the winter though. I am sure the Colts had played in heavy rain before Super Bowl 41.

The idea that Indy can't win in the cold stems from Peyton Manning's struggles to win outdoor games in December. He was still losing games in cold weather as a Bronco, including some at home, so changing teams did not help.

7 hours ago, JaguarsWoman said:

Tampa is not freezing cold in the winter though. I am sure the Colts had played in heavy rain before Super Bowl 41.

The idea that Indy can't win in the cold stems from Peyton Manning's struggles to win outdoor games in December. He was still losing games in cold weather as a Bronco, including some at home, so changing teams did not help.

Every Team has issues playing in cold weather. Have you ever been outside with freezing hands and then tried to do something with those hands?  Obviously someone who does it in practice is going to learn ways the make it easier on themselves. But I was still a fan during the time that people said we couldn't win in the elements. It wasn't just from the cold or winter months. It was ANY bad weather, we were a dome team so of course they said we would have issues. 

You might remember a certain Colts team beating a certain broncos team in the middle of a blizzard. 

Sorry but he didnt build the reputation you speak of for the reasons you think. It was more likely hard to win come winter because it was playoff time and the teams were better, along with the fact that Peyton had to be a one man show in order to win games. Much like Andrew Luck today. Too bad we didn't learn from our mistakes. 

7 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

Every Team has issues playing in cold weather. Have you ever been outside with freezing hands and then tried to do something with those hands?  Obviously someone who does it in practice is going to learn ways the make it easier on themselves. But I was still a fan during the time that people said we couldn't win in the elements. It wasn't just from the cold or winter months. It was ANY bad weather, we were a dome team so of course they said we would have issues. 

You might remember a certain Colts team beating a certain broncos team in the middle of a blizzard. 

Sorry but he didnt build the reputation you speak of for the reasons you think. It was more likely hard to win come winter because it was playoff time and the teams were better, along with the fact that Peyton had to be a one man show in order to win games. Much like Andrew Luck today. Too bad we didn't learn from our mistakes. 

Peyton Manning had Reggie Wayne, Marvin Harrison, and Dallas Clark.  Manning also had Edgerin James.  Colts were an offensive powerhouse. Not truly a "one man show".

18 minutes ago, Roger said:

Peyton Manning had Reggie Wayne, Marvin Harrison, and Dallas Clark.  Manning also had Edgerin James.  Colts were an offensive powerhouse. Not truly a "one man show".

Reggie Wayne, Marvin Harrison, Dallas Clark, didn't do much after they left. Peyton brought everyone up around him. After what happened in Denver taking them to 2 SBs should tell you a lot. And with two different head coaches. % he took both Dungy and Caldwell to the SB. What QB does that? He had absolutely no defense while he was in Indy; and the Special teams unit continually sucked for many of his years here.

i agree that the supporting cast had some good players, and I shouldn't have used the words "one man show". But we leaned too much on his talents and amazing work ethic. 

1 minute ago, NannyMcafee said:

Reggie Wayne, Marvin Harrison, Dallas Clark, didn't do much after they left. Peyton brought everyone up around him. After what happened in Denver taking them to 2 SBs should tell you a lot. And with two different head coaches. % he took both Dungy and Caldwell to the SB. What QB does that? He had absolutely no defense while he was in Indy; and the Special teams unit continually sucked for many of his years here.

i agree that the supporting cast had some good players, and I shouldn't have used the words "one man show". But we leaned too much on his talents and amazing work ethic. 

reggie and marv never played a snap anywhere else

clark had an ok year in tampa, he was old by then and was never meant to be their first option 

the defense was really good the two years we went to the super bowl too.  bob was dpoty 

15 hours ago, JaguarsWoman said:

Peyton broke a lot of his single season records in Denver so I don't by into your comment.

8 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

Having a great QB increases a teams chances of winning but there has never been a QB that has been a one man show as you say. The QB can't do anything without the other team mates to make it happen. This nonsense of the QB getting all the praise and credit is horse dung. There are no games in the NFL that is ever won be a QB by themselves.

44 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

Manning took the Broncos to one Super Bowl.  The defense brought him along for the ring in SB 50.

8 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Peyton broke a lot of his single season records in Denver so I don't by into your comment.

They are regular season records, not for all 19 games. However, the idea that he lost in the wimter because of playoff opponents is ridiculous. Peyton Manning beat the Patriots at New England before, right? He swept them in Denver.

I actually got tickets to the Bears game last week, you know, the one they lost to SF by 5 field goals.  It occurs to me that they play outside, all the time, and they completely suck.  Personally, if I am going watch a team totally suck, I'd rather watch it in the comfort of a dome.

I don't think it really matters where you play the game, dome or not.

On 12/7/2017 at 3:26 PM, IinD said:

Not sure why, but teams like the Colts, Lions, Falcons seem to have trouble playing in colder weather.

On 12/7/2017 at 5:07 PM, IinD said:

So there definitely is some correlation. The so called tougher D's are usually outdoor teams, (ne, Pitt, sea, Baltimore).

The good O's seem to be indoors as well (atl, ind, no). Give or take a few teams of course.

On 12/7/2017 at 4:07 PM, Dirty Mudflaps said:

So I do think there is something about teams used to playing in 72 degree windless environments when they have to go outside...  

I have a theory.  :lecture:

Some of the owners of small-market teams without a rich history of winning (Det, Atl, Indy Colts in the 80s and 90s) want the same fan-following as big-market winners.  And they want it NOW; they don't have time to win multiple SBs first.  So they need to attract lots of band-wagon fans, who like what?  Correct, lots of scoring.  So instead of building a regular stadium around an actual field, these owners build an Indoor Track Stadium so that both teams score tons of points every game.  Then they go out and get an Elite QB and an Olympic Track Team to surround him to try and score even more points and make it even more exciting for the band-wagoners.  (And let's change the rules of the game to reflect this agenda even more, while we're at it...)

The problem is that while "speed kills" in an indoor stadium, it's not as lethal when it counts, when it's 30 degrees with 15 mph winds and the wind chill makes it feel like -20.  The game is just slower in bad weather, which plays into the hands of a slower, more physical team.  When everyone is slower and less agile because of the weather, then pure talent is less of a factor, while technique and physicality win the day.  I also think "outdoor" teams have a mental edge before the game even starts because they're like the dog in the yard just wishing the pampered indoor poodle would come outside...

:hat:

The squad gets credit from me. They played tough in some crap weather.

What a bad game to have a short week on. I would think they'll look terrible Thursday, especially after probably needing one day just to defrost and get back to normal.

On 12/10/2017 at 9:43 AM, dudeski said:

absolutely the colts are soft.  but that has more to do with the coach and lack of leadership.

colts fans are soft as well.  complaining about the roof being open when it is 50 degrees outside was embarrassing

During one of our games, only one side of the roof was open. Why not the whole thing? And why have a root that can open if it is closed over 99% of the time?

I have read numerous complaints about Lucas Oill Stadium having piped in noise. Nobody said that about the Texans, Titans, or Jaguars stadiums, and those teams are not the best ticket sellers either. Is that a dome thing?

On 12/8/2017 at 10:05 AM, WERC82 said:

Only thing I would add is to consider where teams practice.  You are what you practice, and the environment you Practice in.  Some teams have the advantage of practicing in inclement weather, thus more experience.

Take an Indiana driver, and a Florida driver.  Drop them both off in Saskatoon, Canada at the end of January on icy/snowy roads in rental cars.  Who is more likely to survive driving  a week without a crash?  The conditions effect everybody, but those exposed to it more often can usually cope better, IMHO.

4 hours ago, JaguarsWoman said:

During one of our games, only one side of the roof was open. Why not the whole thing? And why have a root that can open if it is closed over 99% of the time?

I have read numerous complaints about Lucas Oill Stadium having piped in noise. Nobody said that about the Texans, Titans, or Jaguars stadiums, and those teams are not the best ticket sellers either. Is that a dome thing?

no you haven't

there have been no complaints about lucas oil having piped in noise.  that place is quiet as a mouse

2 hours ago, a06cc said:

If we had an open field stadium Green Bay has the best setup. However a study done in 2010 states artificial grass/turf is safer to play on. Injuries are cut in half. 

I prefer Field Turf because players don't mess it up between the 20-yard lines, get paint all over their jerseys, or have to pick up handfuls of grass if the rain is really bad. Players also are more likely to lose their footing on real grass IMO but I am not aware of any reports about that actually happening.