Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Twitter Action on TY

IndyD4U

Just now, shastamasta said:

Those teams have good offenses ans have absolutely invested in their pass catchers and/or their offense overall.

NE is typically an outlier because of their system that features pick plays. But even they just traded away assets for two 1st round WRs. Not to mention they have Gronk. And they are an offense that heavily features RBs in the passing game.

SEA has Baldwin (who is a top 15 WR and who they gave WR1 money to), Lockett (3rd round pick) and Richardson (2nd round pick). They also traded a 1st round pick for Graham.

NO spent a 1st round pick on Thomas and  gave big money to Fleener in FA. On top of that, they have a 1st round RB and a 2nd round RB, who are featured in the passing game.

WAS doesn't have as good of a group, but they did spend a 1st round pick on Doctson and sign Pryor in FA.

KC is sort of the outlier, but they hit HRs bob Kelce, Hill and Hunt. That's tough to duplicate.

I think the Colts could be successful without Hilton, but it's going to take some serious resources to do it. 

TY led the NFL in receiving last season.  How'd that translate to team success?  How about his numbers this season?  The point is, if the Colts are looking to trade pieces, I'm grateful it's in places where finding replacements isn't as hard as others.  TY was a third round pick for goodness sake, so this whole notion that he is someone untouchable is crazy to me. 

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, akcolt said:

Tyrek Hill should be a name everyone knows by now. You are wrong about the teams you listed. They all have WR's TY is listed about the same size as Hill but that's not what the eye test says. Every team you listed not only has a WR selected in the first 3 rounds like TY only NO and Washington doesn't have a WR that's been to the pro bowl. Thomas of NO a second year 2nd round pick from OSU probably goes this year. Take a look at the TE's Gronk Kelce Reed Graham those are four of the best pass catching TE's and all pro bowlers. The Saints only have Fleener

I don't think we trade our only play maker the only guy our opponents D has to account for. That doesn't seem smart to me considering he's still young and under contract. He's also our QB's favorite target. You are wrong to think a QB can turn anyone into a good WR.  That position is like most others the best players are drafted early. Antonio Brown(6th round) is an exception not the rule the top WR's Julio Hopkins Green Cooks Evans Fitz are 1st round picks or day 2 like TY.  Landry Allen Tate Thomas etc. 

Other than Cooks, those teams don't have a WR in the top 10 in receiving stats is the point.  They collectively produce, and find balance offensively.  The point of naming those teams is, they are all top 8 passing offenses without a top tier statistical WR.  Those teams were exactly the right ones to name.  They're doing it by committee, with a lot of pieces, not just one.  And for all his "greatness", the Colts will miss the playoffs for the third straight year.  If they are selling, he is a logical piece to move to get value back.   And, the Colts got TY in the third, another point that needs to be considered - there is skill position depth in many places.  Not so much when you're talking about LT, edge rushers, QBs, corners, etc.  If the Colts are sellers, it will be to find offensive balance, and to finally protect Luck.  TY is a great piece to dangle to that end.  One of only a few pieces of any value.  And one easily replaced.  Maybe by more than one player, but easily replaced. 

10 minutes ago, Dirty Mudflaps said:

TY led the NFL in receiving last season.  How'd that translate to team success?  How about his numbers this season?  The point is, if the Colts are looking to trade pieces, I'm grateful it's in places where finding replacements isn't as hard as others.  TY was a third round pick for goodness sake, so this whole notion that he is someone untouchable is crazy to me. 

You'll be wishing he was back when the lead WR averages 50 yards a game and is never a threat to score.

Go ahead and throw out 'oh but this year'...yeah with the qb who's been here 8 weeks and is a backup.

12 minutes ago, Dirty Mudflaps said:

TY led the NFL in receiving last season.  How'd that translate to team success?  How about his numbers this season?  T

he is on pace for a thousand yards this year, what makes you think we will do any  better with a second round pick?  its a huge risk

we might end  with somebody like quincey wilson, rather than a pro bowler

Just now, IinD said:

You'll be wishing he was back when the lead WR averages 50 yards a game and is never a threat to score.

Go ahead and throw out 'oh but this year'...yeah with the qb who's been here 8 weeks and is a backup.

Is Luck a once in a lifetime QB or not?  I think he is.  But he can't do it on IR, or on his read end, or on the bench because the D can't get off the field on third downs.  This team needs pieces, lots of pieces.  You can't get without giving.  If they're selling, TY is the perfect piece to move.  Value, signed for years at a decent price, and he might translate into a starting LT for the next 12 years.  Or the edge rusher.  WR is replaceable.  He was a third rounder.  They can do that again. 

1 minute ago, aaron11 said:

he is on pace for a thousand yards this year, what makes you think we will do any  better with a second round pick?  its a huge risk

Apparently it's easy. Every team has a 1k receiver.

2 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

to be fair, we don't know what we have with Wilson, Pagano wont let him see the field and the games he did play, he looked above average.

5 minutes ago, IinD said:

For the people saying TY'S salary goes up the next three years, you ever stop to think the salary cap keeps going up, he will be average price by then. 

Can't use that one.

It's gone up each season the past few years, but that doesn't necessarily mean that trend will continue. Even with an increase each year, $14.5mil for one season of a 30 year old TY is pretty spendy.

2 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

Exactly!  He's on pace for another decent personal season.  And the Colts will go 3-13?  4-12?  Hoorah TY! 

If the Colts have the QB we all think they have, they can find another TY, or a combination of people to make up for TY's numbers, if they can also block, run, tackle, sack, and protect a QB.  All things which cost picks or money too. 

Just now, Steamboat_Shaun said:

It's gone up each season the past few years, but that doesn't necessarily mean that trend will continue. Even with an increase each year, $14.5mil for one season of a 30 year old TY is pretty spendy.

especially with the ratings decline the league is suffering from

Lets not forget what Chris Ballard said in pretty much his first press conference . This team has not any ONE person is not available including LUCK. And also that there may be moves the FANS dont approve of but its not going to stop them from making those moves. 

I would hate to see T.Y  go but im not attached to anybody on the colts.  

4 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

Not every cornerback that gets drafted cracks the starting lineup and starts a lot there rookie season.

It's not really the idea of trading TY that bothers me, it's the timing. Hey, if you can get a late first/early second for a WR, that's pretty good, especially since WR and RB are the easiest positions on offense to fill (especially if Andrew Luck is your QB).

HOWEVER. TY is our star receiver. Besides him, there's no one. Moncrief has been underwhelming, Aiken has disappointed and Chester Rogers keeps getting hurt.

Plus, we'd be lucky if that 2nd round pick turned into a TY type player, which even if he does, what would be the point of trading TY in the first place? 

Just now, NorthernBlue said:

It's not really the idea of trading TY that bothers me, it's the timing.

Timing is very important to consider with the TY situation.  He could have been on the trade block since the season started if they knew back then that they were willing to trade him.  However, he didn't become "available for trade" until the week after he called out the OL.  it's not that big of a mystery to me...this has more to do with his attitude behind closed doors than it does with his production, or lack thereof.  

Just now, J@son said:

Timing is very important to consider with the TY situation.  He could have been on the trade block since the season started if they knew back then that they were willing to trade him.  However, he didn't become "available for trade" until the week after he called out the OL.  it's not that big of a mystery to me...this has more to do with his attitude behind closed doors than it does with his production, or lack thereof.  

But the thing is, from what I've read, TY is regarded pretty highly by his team mates. They do like the guy, and he's put his money where his mouth is numerous times (like against CLE this year or SD last year).

Yeah he slipped up, but they had just come off a blow out loss. And he did apologize. 

Now if the locker room really doesn't like him, than I'll be damned. But as far as I think (and granted it's just speculation), TY isn't hated in the locker room.

21 minutes ago, Dirty Mudflaps said:

He's not untouchable. The previous GM failed to bring in good skill position players for the most part. Ballard hopefully won't...and will be able to hit on more guys in those early rounds.

I have long thought that you should build your offense around 2nd and 3rd round picks (outside of QB). Obviously there are exceptions (like Zeke, Julio Jones, AJ Green and OBJ)...but for the most part, if you have the QB, you can build a top offense with WRs, TEs and RBs from that pick 33-100 group. GB did a great job at this. Then you have an OL that is a mix of drafted talent and established vets. 

For defense, it should be 1st round picks and developmental middle-late round picks. That's not to say you wouldn't grab defensive talent in rounds 2-3 if the value is there though.

It's not that simple obviously...that's just how I look at it. 

9 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

But the thing is, from what I've read,

I rarely put much stock into what's said or "reported".  Actions speak louder than words.  There were the OL comments last week and then walking out on reporters this week. Doesn't strike me as very professional actions.  Not necessarily saying that those 2 things are enough to want to get rid of him, but we have no idea what's happened behind closed doors the past couple of weeks to go along with those 2 public incidents.  

5 minutes ago, IinD said:

So LESS than one per team. 

Got it.

Less than one per team is still pretty good considering there are only 15-20 QBs in this league worth a damn. TYs average game production would be easily replaced. Would his random out bursts be reproduced? Who knows.. look at all the WRs drafted in later rounds killing defenses today.. Antonio Brown, Diggs, plenty more that I don't care to look up.. Is TY Hilton replaceable? YES. very much so. Do I think we should trade him? No. Would I be mad if we traded him? No. 

1 minute ago, Mick12Maher said:

Less than one per team is still pretty good considering there are only 15-20 QBs in this league worth a damn. TYs average game production would be easily replaced. Would his random out bursts be reproduced? Who knows.. look at all the WRs drafted in later rounds killing defenses today.. Antonio Brown, Diggs, plenty more that I don't care to look up.. Is TY Hilton replaceable? YES. very much so. Do I think we should trade him? No. Would I be mad if we traded him? No. 

Everyone in the nfl is replaceable honestly. Doesn't mean it's a smart move.

If it's so easy to replace his production, why would anyone trade for him?

Just now, IinD said:

Because they believe they are one player away from winning now, this season.  It happens in every sport every year. 

Just now, IinD said:

Because if I'm a team on the outside looking in, he lead the league in receiving yards last year. That screams NO.1 WR to me. But on the inside looking out, Colts fans know his inconsistencies. Inconsistent players are not worth keeping around. 

1 minute ago, Mick12Maher said:

Because if I'm a team on the outside looking in, he lead the league in receiving yards last year. That screams NO.1 WR to me. But on the inside looking out, Colts fans know his inconsistencies. Inconsistent players are not worth keeping around. 

So we will have zero wr's with experience next year? Honest question?

Moncrief and I think Aiken are FA's.

We're gonna roll with 3 or 4 new WR's next year?

Just now, IinD said:

This isn't basketball, 1 of 50+ isn't winning you a SB.

So you don't think adding Booger McFarland at the trade deadline was an enormous part the Colts one and only title since moving to Indy?  I strongly disagree.  NFL trade deadline moves are less common, and usually have far less impact than those in other sports.  But in a year like this one in the NFL, without a clear favorite, if I thought a productive WR could make a difference on my team, I'd make a move.  It's what every GM should be doing, or they're failing at their jobs. 

2 minutes ago, IinD said:

So we will have zero wr's with experience next year? Honest question?

Moncrief and I think Aiken are FA's.

We're gonna roll with 3 or 4 new WR's next year?

If I were in charge of making those moves, keep Rogers, Krishawn Hogan, Sign Landry in FA and draft a top 10 WR.

Is what I would do. What were doing now is not working. 

20 hours ago, IndyScribe said:

Sounds like nonsense. Why would the Colts trade away the only good that's a threat. There's no depth behind him either. I have no idea who that Jeremy guy is but he sounds unreliable. Seems like writers are making stuff up. 

because WRs aren't really hard to come by. We elite QBs like Brady, Rodgers, Luck, etc..., you really don't need Borderline grade A/B+ WRs. I like TY, don't get me wrong, but we basically need to rebuild the whole team around Luck again and trading TY for 2nd and up would be a great start.

3 minutes ago, colts2dasuperbowl said:

nah, this guy is lazy. some of the brissett's int was this guy's fault.

I agree with you here I think I was typing and not thinking. There is no real good solution to our WR issue. We just need to get some damn CONSISTENCY!