Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

SI Report: Peyton Had 4 Procedures, not 3 [Merge]

If you support such an idea, you are not a Colts fan.

Bingo you won the prize.... I watched Manning at UT.... I followed him to the Colts, I though Colts was a respectible team, and as Mannings career took off started making me like the Colts.... Well with all this PR moves makes me feel maybe the Owners of the Colts aren't a respectible team anymore, and now that my favorite player is being SHOVED out of town after all he did, what makes me want to support a team that the only reason I knew anything about them was due to following Mannings career into the pros. Does that make me a lesser person don't think so... A lesser Colts fan... yes...But as of right now Manning is barely a Colts member so I am interested in the Colts forum...

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are mistaken.

Another poster claimed that Peyton said that he was willing to accept an incentive based contract, which turned out to be untrue.

I, on the other hand, have not claimed that Peyton said anything about a 4th surgery.

You are free to believe or not believe if a 4th surgical procedure has taken place.

That is not what I typed in my 2nd response. You can try again if you like but I don't really care.

That is weird, but do you think Polian would lie about something like that? For what reason?

It is easier to discover the lie than to discover the motivation that impelled the lie.

I have no idea why Polian would lie. I can only speculate:

a) He is now part of the media, and the lie serves the purposes of his storyline

b) He wants to take revenge on the person who fired him last.

c) He has some misplaced loyalty to PM, and thinks this is a good way to serve him.

d) something entirely different.

It is easier to discover the lie than to discover the motivation that impelled the lie.

I have no idea why Polian would lie. I can only speculate:

a) He is now part of the media, and the lie serves the purposes of his storyline

b) He wants to take revenge on the person who fired him last.

c) He has some misplaced loyalty to PM, and thinks this is a good way to serve him.

d) something entirely different.

Or maybe the SI article is wrong like many other "sources"...just saying

Where is it said that he will not sign an incentive based contract?

http://forums.colts.com/index.php?/topic/5387-irsays-breaking-newswants-peyton-back-if-merged/page__st__280__p__140159#entry140159

Post #305 by bayone explains it quite nicely.

PM did not say he was willing to a performance contract. He did not say he was not willing.

However, when he was asked about it, he laughed, and provided an interesting comment about sources not always being accurate.

If not true my fingers are crossed this is a PR move on Irsay and traceable

Why would SI push Irsay's agenda? And I would assume that for doctors to lie or leak info would require some sort of bribe on Irsay's part, because same question, why would they push Irsay's agenda? And why would they risk being barred from ever practicing medicine again if found out for breaking their oaths and laws? Eventually the truth always comes out in the end, and if all this is a PR move it will be revealed as such in due time. IMO the fall out would be too large for this to be some great conspiracy conjured up by Irsay.

Why would SI push Irsay's agenda? And I would assume that for doctors to lie or leak info would require some sort of bribe on Irsay's part, because same question, why would they push Irsay's agenda? And why would they risk being barred from ever practicing medicine again if found out for breaking their oaths and laws? Eventually the truth always comes out in the end, and if all this is a PR move it will be revealed as such in due time. IMO the fall out would be too large for this to be some great conspiracy conjured up by Irsay.

Hospital is already in trouble if Manning didn't sign paper to let ANYONE know of a seperate surgery...

The ax is definitely gonna fall and heads will roll, I just don't know why you're so quick for it to be Irsay's head

Only because the PROVEN PR moves Irsay has done so far, who knows the strings the puppeteer may have done PR wise behind closed doors... Sorry I have not heard any from Manning PR moves yet.

SI is not going to push an agenda for Irsay, that's just silly talk.

Unless this is some big hoax by "league sources", eventually where there is smoke there has to be some grains of truth to the whole -- he's not 100% healthy and may never be back to form.

Nobody here on this site knows the whole story, but it's becoming less and less likely that Manning will be here this summer and almost a 100% chance that the option will not be picked up.

Hospital is already in trouble if Manning didn't sign paper to let ANYONE know of a seperate surgery...

HIPAA guidelines don't exactly apply to NFL players. People have thrown that around a lot on this board, and it doesn't always fit. The NFL uses HIPAA only when they want to, but on a weekly basis must, by league rule, disclose injuries which include the probability of a player playing that week. Under the old CBA, players could only access their own medical records twice during a year, and never during the season. That is the opposite of what HIPAA was created to do - allow records to be private for the use of the patient, not insurance companies, not accessible to employers, etc. Plus, if the source for SI is a team trainer, or personal security person for PM, or parking lot attendant at the hospital, who simply told them that PM was at a Chicago hospital for six hours, that is enough to say there may have been a fourth procedure. Especially if his appointment was with the same neck surgeon. Procedure can mean anything, including removing staples or stitches, getting an xray, or testing flexibility.

HIPAA guidelines don't exactly apply to NFL players. People have thrown that around a lot on this board, and it doesn't always fit. The NFL uses HIPAA only when they want to, but on a weekly basis must, by league rule, disclose injuries which include the probability of a player playing that week. Under the old CBA, players could only access their own medical records twice during a year, and never during the season. That is the opposite of what HIPAA was created to do - allow records to be private for the use of the patient, not insurance companies, not accessible to employers, etc. Plus, if the source for SI is a team trainer, or personal security person for PM, or parking lot attendant at the hospital, who simply told them that PM was at a Chicago hospital for six hours, that is enough to say there may have been a fourth procedure. Especially if his appointment was with the same neck surgeon. Procedure can mean anything, including removing staples or stitches, getting an xray, or testing flexibility.

Really????? WOW... So Froggy, and other LFCMS was wrong stating the ONLY way the news of Manning being cleared for football during superbowl was at the hand of Manning giving the okay to leak that... Cool glad you confirmed that it is possible Manning has YET to do any proven PR moves.

Really????? WOW... So Froggy, and other LFCMS was wrong stating the ONLY way the news of Manning being cleared for football during superbowl was at the hand of Manning giving the okay to leak that... Cool glad you confirmed that it is possible Manning has YET to do any proven PR moves.

I am not a lawyer, but I do not believe any NFL team is a 'covered entity' by HIPAA. One could argue players, team doctors, sideline EMTs, and others directly involved in procedures are covered entites, but then I would suggest at least some of those entites have signed HIPAA waivers, or else we'd never see doctors discussing conditions (concussed McCoy after the Steelers game, for example), Tom Brady left shoulder probable on every weekly injury report, etc. We see medical information openly discussed about players every day. Either players as part of the CBA, or individual contract sign waivers, or HIPAA doesn't apply period. More to the point, when a team cuts a player after an injury that would be announcing to the world he can't play due to a health circumstance. If Walmart fired someone after announcing an employee had HIV, for example, that now ex-employee would own a lot of land in Arkansas previously owned by the Walton family....

Don't look now but wthr is reporting Peyton will need a 5th surgery on his neck...

That was what the SI article said was a possibility. Again, this is why I think Irsay has spent a lot of time taling about PM living life outside of football, while so many others dismissed the neck issue completely. I think Irsay has had this info for some time. The possibility of required future surgeries and more fusions....

That was what the SI article said was a possibility. Again, this is why I think Irsay has spent a lot of time taling about PM living life outside of football, while so many others dismissed the neck issue completely. I think Irsay has had this info for some time. The possibility of required future surgeries and more fusions....

All which point to the total unsuitability of the $28MM guaranteed payment to keep him on the team for 4 more years.

Yeah that's it.... Manning decided he is just wanting to retire, so he signed a medical release to have this leaked out so he can walk away... God knows it would be against HIPPA if it leaked some other way right.... Cause no way Manning being cleared for football leaked out during superbowl without Mannings approval, so this has to be under Mannings signed okay to DUE TO HIPPA

The statement during superbowl week came straight from his dr. So i'm not sure why you keep repeating this stuff like you have a point. A DR. does not release a statement without consent, otherwise he is violating HIPPA. To my knowledge, there is no actual statement from a dr in this report.

The statement during superbowl week came straight from his dr. So i'm not sure why you keep repeating this stuff like you have a point. A DR. does not release a statement without consent, otherwise he is violating HIPPA. To my knowledge, there is no actual statement from a dr in this report.

Do you understand now?

TY indy1888 for your clear response. I think it is better that he hears it from others. He won't believe it if it came from me.

Do you understand now?

TY indy1888 for your clear response. I think it is better that he hears it from others. He won't believe it if it came from me.

More to the point in this example, PM's doctor was not connected to the Colts at all. He is an independent entity, and therefore would absolutely fall under the covered entity HIPAA guidelines. If he was employed by the Colts, it might be a different story. HIPAA doesn't cover NFL players or teams like it does the rest of us.

More to the point in this example, PM's doctor was not connected to the Colts at all. He is an independent entity, and therefore would absolutely fall under the covered entity HIPAA guidelines. If he was employed by the Colts, it might be a different story. HIPAA doesn't cover NFL players or teams like it does the rest of us.

TY NorCalColt for reinforcing the point.

That really isn't that bad at all in comparison to previous surgeries he has had in his life. In a way you can sort of compare a procedure like that to having your knee cleaned out (In terms of time unable to do anything)

It doesn't have to be bad. What it does bring into light for other teams that might be considering signing PM as a FA later on, is that there will need to be full medical disclosure for team doctors to evaluate. It is an interesting gambit, if it is part of a play.

http://sportsillustr...l#ixzz1mTp9ON4e

"SI.com has learned from NFL sources that Manning actually underwent a fourth, unreported, medical procedure in the past two years, not three as has been widely known."

"

In addition, league sources say Manning's neck has potentially developed bone spurs just above the point where his latest fusion surgery took place in early September, and the Colts organization is under the belief that it is nearly inevitable Manning will at some point require further surgery, and possibly another fusion procedure, even if he does successfully return to the field in 2012."

The article also goes on to provide information that Polian knew that PM could not throw more than 20-25 yds last December, contrary to what Polian now claims.

wonder if all the fans who are emotionaly hooked on manning have changed their minds now....or maybe not lol. wonder if irsay knew about this, and if not its time to send manning on his way. if he did not inform the colts of this procedure then he lied, he has already lied to us fans by saying he only had 3. and polian knew last december? could that be the real reason why he got fired? maybe with held this info from irsay?

wonder if all the fans who are emotionaly hooked on manning have changed their minds now....or maybe not lol. wonder if irsay knew about this, and if not its time to send manning on his way. if he did not inform the colts of this procedure then he lied, he has already lied to us fans by saying he only had 3. and polian knew last december? could that be the real reason why he got fired? maybe with held this info from irsay?

That is all speculation. Perhaps we will never know until one of them decides to write their memoir.

It doesn't have to be bad. What it does bring into light for other teams that might be considering signing PM as a FA later on, is that there will need to be full medical disclosure for team doctors to evaluate. It is an interesting gambit, if it is part of a play.

Well bone spurs is never a good thing haha. I don't think it will be a part of play at all. Only time that would ever come in play is if it was during the season he got bone spurs then that might present a problem, but even then players play through bone spurs.