Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Quick questions.

AKB

Why do we keep throwing screen passes to Gore?

Why do we only run four verticals the entire game?

Why do we run HB dive on every first down?

Why do we only get one yard on first down?

Why do we throw on second down, take a sack and then throw on 3rd and long like every drive?

At what point are we going to stop blaming quarterback play and question the decision making of Chud? Andrew is a good enough passer to run four verticals all game, but is that the reason he takes so many big hits? Are we running an extreme amount of deep patterns? Why are we taking full 7 step drops as often as we are?

I'm confused, because these coaches are paid a lot of money. And it looks like my little brother is picking plays on Madden. 

AK

In a recent column on ESPN.com about top coordinators of the past 25 years, Chud was listed as the 5th best.

Now, there was some unusual criteria, but the point remains that Chud has been successful everywhere he's been, and he's highly regarded around the league.

The amount of of sheer stupidity and nonsense about Chud thrown around here is simply staggering.

Some criticism is warranted.    But at some point it reaches levels that are ridiculous.    And this thread is just the latest.  

Responses telling me I'm wrong start in 3....  2....    1....            :peek:

1 hour ago, AustinnKaine said:

Why do we throw on second down, take a sack and then throw on 3rd and long like every drive?

At what point are we going to stop blaming quarterback play and question the decision making of Chud? Andrew is a good enough passer to run four verticals all game, but is that the reason he takes so many big hits? Are we running an extreme amount of deep patterns? Why are we taking full 7 step drops as often as we are?

I'm confused, because these coaches are paid a lot of money. And it looks like my little brother is picking plays on Madden. 

AK

Cause chuds been playing too much Madden in the easiest setting?

32 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

In a recent column on ESPN.com about top coordinators of the past 25 years, Chud was listed as the 5th best.

Now, there was some unusual criteria, but the point remains that Chud has been successful everywhere he's been, and he's highly regarded around the league.

The amount of of sheer stupidity and nonsense about Chud thrown around here is simply staggering.

Some criticism is warranted.    But at some point it reaches levels that are ridiculous.    And this thread is just the latest.  

So then it's Chuck?

51 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

that cant be right

everyone knows espn hates the colts! :headspin:

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Chud as the 5th best OC of the past 25 years?  Now that is sheer stupidity.

52 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Cause chuds been playing too much Madden in the easiest setting?

His playbook is very effective in Madden.

Unless you have injuries turned ON.

Then you'll be trying to throw passes to your 3rd string FB (What?) in the slot, using your 3rd string QB (What again?) and getting both injured on the same play because you for whatever friggin reason think the middle of the field is all sunshine and rainbows for offensive players...

1 hour ago, BOTT said:

Chud as the 5th best OC of the past 25 years?  Now that is sheer stupidity.

Hey,  I don't agree with it either.....

But he's been successful everywhere he's been.    And he's been an OC in a number of places and did well at each stop.

The story had strange criteria,  but it didn't include someone who I think highly of and I suspect people here do too....

Tom Moore,  the Colts OC during the best Manning years.       Isn't Moore highly regarded and not just by Colts fans?

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Hey,  I don't agree with it either.....

But he's been successful everywhere he's been.    And he's been an OC in a number of places and did well at each stop.

The story had strange criteria,  but it didn't include someone who I think highly of and I suspect people here do too....

Tom Moore,  the Colts OC during the best Manning years.       Isn't Moore highly regarded and not just by Colts fans?

If the HOF had an assistant coach in it Tom Moore would certainly be one of first

The play calling got conservative but isn't that what you'd expect with a back up QB? The Browns had the ball with a chance to take the lead for a whole 25 seconds in the second half. 

We had 7 second half possessions. We got a fg then had drives end on a fumble by Doyle a dropped pass by Turbin and a huge holding penalty on Mewhort. The Mewhort penalty wiped out a big run by Brissett that would've put us in position to ice the game.

That's 4/7 possessions that play calling had nothing to do with the drive ending. Unless someone thought we were throwing it on the last possession make it 5/7. For the record I would have given serious thought to taking a shot on 1st down knowing the 2 min warning was going to stop the clock on the last drive.

i am not saying the coaching is good we know it isn't.  We had 11 penalties. That's an unexceptional amount. We continue to have vets make dumb mistakes  Mewhort  and Butler had bad penalties. Doyle had a fumble and dropped balls not like him. I think those mistakes had more to do with the Browns making it look close then the play calling. 

10 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

Why do we keep throwing screen passes to Gore?  We tried one to Doyle he dropped it, plus Mack was hurt and Gore has great hands... should do some WR bubble screens though

Why do we only run four verticals the entire game?  We don't, and TY had two great plays as well as Aiken before the concussion that were great routes

Why do we run HB dive on every first down?  This is still baffling to me as well

Why do we only get one yard on first down?  Because of above and the D knows the play before the QB does.

Why do we throw on second down, take a sack and then throw on 3rd and long like every drive?  This does happen and again most of the time I feel the D knows what we are doing, we do not typically run quick routes, and our o-line still has some poor moments.

AK

Responses are above in bold...

1 hour ago, akcolt said:

The play calling got conservative but isn't that what you'd expect with a back up QB? The Browns had the ball with a chance to take the lead for a whole 25 seconds in the second half. 

We had 7 second half possessions. We got a fg then had drives end on a fumble by Doyle a dropped pass by Turbin and a huge holding penalty on Mewhort. The Mewhort penalty wiped out a big run by Brissett that would've put us in position to ice the game.

That's 4/7 possessions that play calling had nothing to do with the drive ending. Unless someone thought we were throwing it on the last possession make it 5/7. For the record I would have given serious thought to taking a shot on 1st down knowing the 2 min warning was going to stop the clock on the last drive.

i am not saying the coaching is good we know it isn't.  We had 11 penalties. That's an unexceptional amount. We continue to have vets make dumb mistakes  Mewhort  and Butler had bad penalties. Doyle had a fumble and dropped balls not like him. I think those mistakes had more to do with the Browns making it look close then the play calling. 

I didn't get a chance to see the game, but heard that Brissett ran for two TDs and apparently had another big run.  

I'm sure his ESPN QBR was high, but excluding runs do we know what his real QB rating was in this game?

56 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I didn't get a chance to see the game, but heard that Brissett ran for two TDs and apparently had another big run.  

I'm sure his ESPN QBR was high, but excluding runs do we know what his real QB rating was in this game?

he only ran for 14 yards, but had another called back by a hold that would have doubled that

his 120 rating is not misleading, he played a great game.  completed 70% of his passes and his TD runs were impressive, as was the throw on ty's catch and run for a 60 yard TD

dont just throw out the rushing TDs, he made a hell of a move on one of them

2 hours ago, VaAllDay757 said:

This happens with luck starting too

I would like to see a stat on how many times a Colt QB audibles out of a play.  I don't believe one exists, but all this talk about Chud's play calling is mostly speculation becausebwe don't know how often it happens.  I don't know if the Biskett is allowed to change plays, but I am pretty sure Luck is.

If Luck see the box stacked and he doesn't change the run play why doesn't that fall on him and not Chud?

12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I wasn't aware the offense has been a serious problem.

By the nature of the Chud threads,  between our terrible offense and even worse defense,  one would think this team was 2-14 the last few years......

So we are going to pretend that our offense in the fourth quarter has been acceptable?

While we've held leads...?

5 hours ago, akcolt said:

Thank you. It's nice to see reason.

3 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

So we are going to pretend that our offense in the fourth quarter has been acceptable?

While we've held leads...?

The offense has taken the approach taht it has because we have a brand new QB who is still learning the playbook and learning his teammates.

We're asking Brissett NOT to lose games rather than win games.

Yesterday,  Brissett only attempted 24 passes,  12 in each half.    We're being conservative for a reason.    I'm not happy that the running game is going no where.     But with a 21 point lead (28-7) we made a calculated risk assessment that when the game was over,  we'd still have more points than the Browns would.    And we did.

Indy beat Cleveland.     And yet judging by the threads,  people are upset because we didn't win more convincingly without a large nubmer of key players.      

I'm just glad the Colts won.....

Just now, Superman said:

The screen pass to Doyle was actually a well run play for a change. And of course, he drops it. We are simply not allowed to run effective screen passes, I guess.

That play would have gone for big yards too.   He had blockers out  front.   Everything  was perfect except for the catch

22 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

AK

That's far more than one quick question

22 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

How people looking with blind eyes.