Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hilton and Moncrief 2

PuntersArePeopleToo

After last week questioning Hilton and Moncrief they both came to actually play this week. Even though Moncrief didnt start he did have a couple nice catches and didnt screw up with giving up on passes this week. Hilton on the other hand performed incredibly well in the first half and a main reason we ended up leading going into half time by so much. He also helped with some major pass interference calls against the Defense and helped open up some of the other guys. I am happy that they performed better this week than last and now can continue to build chemistry with JB

Just now, jameszeigler834 said:

More importantly we need to stop taking our foot off the gas pedal playing conservative like that was stupid.

im kind of torn on that

on one hand they wanted to protect brissett, and try to run out the clock.  thats not unusual after getting a big lead

but on the other, we suck at running out the clock and it could have lost us the game

44 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

im kind of torn on that

on one hand they wanted to protect brissett, and try to run out the clock.  thats not unusual after getting a big lead

but on the other, we suck at running out the clock and it could have lost us the game

you cant just sit on that lead though cause no lead is safe when you are not stopping the other team.

59 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

im kind of torn on that

I know what you mean hey I am all for running a majority of the second half well that is if we averaged more than a yard and did not have to fight just to get back to the line of scrimmage.

TY showed up but I feel like Brissett had more timing with him and knows he is dependable.  Moncrief had some big catches on 3rd and long.  Aiken was not bad and unfortunately had the concussion. Bray had a big catch as well in the middle.  I would say the WR's played better and we slacked off in the 2nd half.  Brissett has shown he can play in this league.  You can say it was the Browns all you want but the NFL shows you every week that any team can put a * whooping on someone.  Jags vs Ravens 44-7, Bills vs Broncos 26-16, Jets vs Dolphins 20-6, and Bears vs Steelers 23-17.  That is just this week!

9 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

you cant just sit on that lead though cause no lead is safe when you are not stopping the other team.

Man come on the Browns had the ball with a chance to tie/win for all of 25 seconds pinned inside their 10. Yeah we got conservative with a 2nd year QB who hasn't been with the team long enough to have the whole play book. We got the W

If Doyle doesn't cough the ball up or we catch the ball on 3rd down things are different. We ice the game without the hold by Mewhort.  It wasn't the play calling that gave Cleveland their 25 seconds of hope. 

We won the game and were never in jeapordy of losing it. Cleveland ran 2 plays with no time outs. They were deep in their end even if they got the 50+ yard play for a fg. Can they get the kicker out on the field? 

The board is making this much closer and a much bigger deal than it was. If you want to criticize the coaches it's as easy as looking at our 11 penalties. 

10 minutes ago, akcolt said:

Man come on the Browns had the ball with a chance to tie/win for all of 25 seconds pinned inside their 10. Yeah we got conservative with a 2nd year QB who hasn't been with the team long enough to have the whole play book. We got the W

If Doyle doesn't cough the ball up or we catch the ball on 3rd down things are different. We ice the game without the hold by Mewhort.  It wasn't the play calling that gave Cleveland their 25 seconds of hope. 

We won the game and were never in jeapordy of losing it. Cleveland ran 2 plays with no time outs. They were deep in their end even if they got the 50+ yard play for a fg. Can they get the kicker out on the field? 

The board is making this much closer and a much bigger deal than it was. If you want to criticize the coaches it's as easy as looking at our 11 penalties. 

Yup the 11 penalties are the real key.    Along with giving up catches when the Browns should have been sent to 4th down to punt.   Clean up those two things and I'm quite sure we win 31-14 easy.

1 hour ago, lollygagger8 said:

Better than last week, which wasn't hard. 

TY disappeared in the 2nd half after getting safety help, so someone else needs to step up in that instance. 

I'm still wondering if Moncrief is still playing half *. 

If that's actually true then TY played no better than any other game.   He shines quite well when his man doesn't receive S help, and not so well when he does.

10 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

The play calling was protecting the new QB. Last week he threw a pick that cost a chance at winning a game. We had a good lead so why risk losing the game with a turnover? 

Even when we win a game you find something to be negative about.

2 hours ago, colts2dasuperbowl said:

We won because JB didn't have to throw a lot. Browns lost because they let Kizer throw for 44 times, he had 3 INTs. We could've had a little better running plans instead of just pounding middle, but I'm fine with this type of W. 

I agree about the better running. Why do we not go outside at all? It doesnt help always going inside when they know that is the plan

1 hour ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

I agree about the better running. Why do we not go outside at all? It doesnt help always going inside when they know that is the plan

Based on what we have for personnel they are almost forced to go inside. Poor Wrs for run blocking (Hilton is small, Moncrief puts 0 effort into it), poor tackle play as of late, Gore/Turbin arent exactly suited for outside runs (they dont really have the speed for it). It sucks but you have to work with what you have. We saw a couple off tackle runs when Mack was in, but without his speed we cant really make it work. 1 yd gains up the middle are better than losing 2-3 while losing the race to get the edge. 

18 hours ago, aaron11 said:

im kind of torn on that

Yeah I understand the concept but when you know your own team (the colts) you know you suck at maintaining the lead. So don't take your foot off the pedal. Put them away. When you can put a team away then you can ease into the concept of being conservative. There is a time and place for everything and it wasn't the time or place for that. 

I don't know why so many on so high on Moncrief like he is a proven elite reciever. Hes had a terrible first 3 games and could still have his best season yet lol. Maybe you guys forget Moncrief best season is 733 yards receiving, which is 46 yards a game. He had 50, then 18, then 44. Moncrief is still very unproven at WR. When Luck comes back will give a better idea on Moncrief. Brissett had very little time to get used to Moncrief as well.