Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Cap

UndecidedFrog

I was thinking the same thing as you guys, but then began to wonder about why the player would be enticed into a deal in which he wouldn't receive any bonuses or guaranteed money up front. Say we structure a contract where his cap his and real monies is very minimal in his 1st year on the deal, but heavy starting years 2 and beyond. What if the player under performs, and is subsequently cut after the first year with minimal real monies paid to him? I'm not sure any player would agree to a deal like that, unless there is some sort of clause they can put in there which guarantees him a roster spot on the 2013 roster.

If we guarantee a contract for injury and performance.

Say Mario WIlliams for example.

Base salary 750k

Roster bonus of 30 million fully guaranteed for injury/performance/

base salary 1 million

If at some point he gains 100 lbs, starts running 5.6 40's. gets hurt, does anything but out right quits.. We would owe him the money.

With guaranteed money, some aren't as concerned with the roster spot as they are with getting paid.

It's risky, but it is a way to attempt to attract free agents this year.

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we guarantee a contract for injury and performance.

Say Mario WIlliams for example.

Base salary 750k

Roster bonus of 30 million fully guaranteed for injury/performance/

base salary 1 million

If at some point he gains 100 lbs, starts running 5.6 40's. gets hurt, does anything but out right quits.. We would owe him the money.

With guaranteed money, some aren't as concerned with the roster spot as they are with getting paid.

It's risky, but it is a way to attempt to attract free agents this year.

But if we cut him after 2012, would we not be responsible for his future bonuses on the cap?

If the money is guaranteed in the contract, It will accelerate into the cap when cut.

I suppose they would have to weigh the risk of putting bigger bonuses into the latter part of the contract and thus a bigger accelerated cap hit if he is cut if they were considering structuring a deal or multiple deals like that.

I suppose they would have to weigh the risk of putting bigger bonuses into the latter part of the contract and thus a bigger accelerated cap hit if he is cut if they were considering structuring a deal or multiple deals like that.

They would. The player would have to be willing/in position to take it in year 2. But it could be done.

Big concern I got is holding onto someone who underperforms, or is always injured, is Gonzalez still om the team? I heard a rumor he wasnt

His contract is up and there was a report yesterdy that the Colts have informed him they will not be offering him a new contract.

Listed below: Salary cap numbers for all 32 NFL teams, as of 12:01 ET Tuesday, according to league source.

(Note: This does not include any cap penalties against Dallas or Washington and does not account for releases and restructurings completed Monday. Those numbers will be figured in Tuesday, along with additional cuts and contracts.)

Arizona: -$13.7 million (they’re over)

Atlanta: $7M

Baltimore: $13M

Buffalo: $23M

Carolina: $1.3M

Chicago: $23.5M

Cincinnati: $39M

Cleveland: $15M

Dallas: -$2.7M (they’re over)

Denver: $42.3M

Detroit: -$7.3M (they’re over)

Green Bay: $5.6M

Houston: $615,000

Indianapolis: $13.1M

Jacksonville: $34.5M

Kansas City: $22.3M

Miami: $9.8M

Minnesota: $24M

New England: $15.5M

New Orleans: $6M

New York Giants: $1.6M

New York Jets: $13M

Oakland: $640,000

Philadelphia: $13.9M

Pittsburgh: $1.8M

San Diego: $16.3M

Seattle: $27.7M

San Francisco: $20.7M

St. Louis: $9.8M

Tampa Bay: $44.9M

Tennessee: $25.1M

Washington: $16.4M

I am still confused about the cap. I thought it was suppose to be the salaries of the team's top 51 players plus the dead cap space. It seems the Colts did not resign their 18 UFAs so do they count against the cap or not? Maybe the Colts have cap space to replace those 18 players. Cory Redding may be the replacement for Jamaal Anderson. Help!

I am still confused about the cap. I thought it was suppose to be the salaries of the team's top 51 players plus the dead cap space. It seems the Colts did not resign their 18 UFAs so do they count against the cap or not? Maybe the Colts have cap space to replace those 18 players. Cory Redding may be the replacement for Jamaal Anderson. Help!

FAs don't count to the cap unless you sign or re-sign them.

It seemed in the discussions on this topic they were included making our cap situation show a smaller margin. So maybe we do have more space than we thought.

In this thread, FAs do not impact the cap, since they have no base salary, or unamortized bonus prorations for 2012, and they were not included in the calculation of the cap.

Any word yet on how Wayne's contract will hit the cap? Sounds like it's $7.5 million signing bonus over three years, so the prorated bonus should be $2.5 million. Don't know about the base though.

I have no facts, but I would think they did something similar to what they did with Mathis where they had a lower cap hit in the first year. With 10 million over 3 years in base salary (from what I have heard) it will probably be a small number the first year, since they pay him 7.5 million in signing bonus (again only what I have heard) that year anyway. It would make sense both in real money and cap hit.

Any word yet on how Wayne's contract will hit the cap? Sounds like it's $7.5 million signing bonus over three years, so the prorated bonus should be $2.5 million. Don't know about the base though.

I have no facts, but I would think they did something similar to what they did with Mathis where they had a lower cap hit in the first year. With 10 million over 3 years in base salary (from what I have heard) it will probably be a small number the first year, since they pay him 7.5 million in signing bonus (again only what I have heard) that year anyway. It would make sense both in real money and cap hit.

I am missing 2 pieces: 2012 salary and 2013 salary

I have:

a) 3 years

b) $7.5MM upfront bonus

c) 2015 salary = $4MM

d) total deal = $17.5MM

I am missing 2 pieces: 2012 salary and 2013 salary

I have:

a) 3 years

b) $7.5MM upfront bonus

c) 2015 salary = $4MM

d) total deal = $17.5MM

If it's a three year deal, why is there a 2015 salary? Do you mean 2014? If so, that would leave a remainder of $6 million in salary to be divided up in 2012 and 2013. And because Reggie had an off year by his standards, we can work some good incentives into this contract for him (80 catches, 1000 yards, 8 touchdowns, etc.)

If it's a three year deal, why is there a 2015 salary? Do you mean 2014? If so, that would leave a remainder of $6 million in salary to be divided up in 2012 and 2013. And because Reggie had an off year by his standards, we can work some good incentives into this contract for him (80 catches, 1000 yards, 8 touchdowns, etc.)

Sorry, I meant 2014.

Can someone give me a number on how much cap space we have, after the signing of Cory Redding and the resigning of Reggie Wayne. I'm terrible with salary cap numbers, but somehow I have a degree in Commerce :dunno:

Can someone give me a number on how much cap space we have, after the signing of Cory Redding and the resigning of Reggie Wayne. I'm terrible with salary cap numbers, but somehow I have a degree in Commerce :dunno:

I don't have the details of either Wayne's or Redding's contract.

Without the details, I cannot calculate the hit on the cap.

This is only an assumption, but Wayne, Redding and Justice would probably add up to around 9M towards the cap this year. again, I don't know the precise amounts to wayne and redding's contracts, but if they're equal amounts per year plus the salary of Justice that we would also accumulate, that would add up to around 9M.

I believe that UndecidedFrog had come up with the Colts having over $15M in cap space before FA started. I wonder if the Colts are done in FA or if they go after 1 or 2 more ???

This is only an assumption, but Wayne, Redding and Justice would probably add up to around 9M towards the cap this year. again, I don't know the precise amounts to wayne and redding's contracts, but if they're equal amounts per year plus the salary of Justice that we would also accumulate, that would add up to around 9M.

I believe that UndecidedFrog had come up with the Colts having over $15M in cap space before FA started. I wonder if the Colts are done in FA or if they go after 1 or 2 more ???

Yes, without Wayne, Redding and Justice, the cap space in 2012 is estimated at $15.83MM (inlcudes the Redskins/Cowboys penalty and carryover from last year).

Wayne: has at least $3.43MM hit (prorated signing bonus (7.5/3) of $2.5 + vet min of $0.93 (11 years)

Redding: 3 years for $10.5MM. I don't have the salary break out, nor the guaranteed upfront bonus amount.

Justice: has $3.225 MM hit (base salary)

You can make your own assumptions, but without more information, I cannot be sure.