Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Cap

UndecidedFrog

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, he'll want a lot of money up front, but I'm not sure he's worth 25/30 million up front.

I don't know what he is worth, but no one to date has suggested an upfront bonus of 25-30MM.

From 2 different mock caps I did with different posters, I have seen extension deals for him with either a $4MM bonus ($36MM deal, 4 years) or a $15MM bonus ($55MM deal, 4years).

This previous poster suggested a $14MM bonus $30.5MM deal, 3 years.

I don't know what he is worth, but no one to date has suggested an upfront bonus of 25-30MM.

From 2 different mock caps I did with different posters, I have seen extension deals for him with either a $4MM bonus ($36MM deal, 4 years) or a $15MM bonus ($55MM deal, 4years).

This previous poster suggested a $14MM bonus $30.5MM deal, 3 years.

I've seen 30 thrown out somewhere... I can't remember where at this point. A 15 bonus would still be high to me at this point.

• 3 weeks later...

Revised cap

Most of my contract information comes from here: http://www.spotrac.c...dwight-freeney/

So far I have calculated the projected Colts team cap for 2012 from the above data source to be:

38 players (excludes Collins, whom I removed, but not his 2012 cap hit, which I kept) that are responsible for $96.32MM.

This includes cutting Manning, and resigning Mathis.

This also includes Draft pick #1 at $4.2MM

This also includes an aggregated premium above rookie minimum of $1.5MM for draft picks #34 and #65.

1) We have 17 FAs that do not have contracts in 2012, and therefore not included in the 38 players above. They are:

Anderson, Brayton, S.Brown, Diem, Edds, Foster, Gonzales, Lacey, Muir, Orlovsky, Pollak, Richard, Saturday, Simms, Toudouze, Wayne, Wheeler.

2) I am projecting the 2012 team salary cap to be $119MM (1MM decrease from the 2011 total team salary cap) due to some speculation that the 47% owed assigned for player benefits according to the new CBA anticipates larger than expected health care costs, which will reduce the salary cap to force fit into that 47% of defined revenues.

3) This leaves the team with 15 empty roster spots (to arrive at a 53 man roster), which I will now assume will be at rookie minimums. This brings the total team cap to $102.17M

4) Doing simple subtraction, this leaves about $17MM to spend in FA.

Of your list I see us being players for Garcon, Wheeler, Orvlosky, Lacey, Muir, Pollak, and Foster. Don't see us resigning the others unless basically minimums. Even some of those being very basic contracts just above minimums. Garcon being the only one that will eat up decent cap space.

Of your list I see us being players for Garcon, Wheeler, Orvlosky, Lacey, Muir, Pollak, and Foster. Don't see us resigning the others unless basically minimums. Even some of those being very basic contracts just above minimums. Garcon being the only one that will eat up decent cap space.

Yes, I agree that of your list, Garcon is the significant contract.

Here are the 2011cap hits of each of the players on your list from their last contract:

Garcon: $0.578MM

Wheeler: $0.716MM

Orlovsky: $0.579MM

Lacey: $0.813MM

Muir: $1.85MM

Pollak: $0.9175MM

Foster: $1.2MM

Given Garcon's performance overall, he is due for a large increase.

I don't know what others think but signing Garcon to a contract for any more than $6 million is not a plan as we have seen what it has done in the past when we pay our marginal emerging talent to keep them we have suffered. Honestly anything over $4 million is too much but I'm sure he will get more. The rest would see marginal increases I imagine and we stay under the cap easily. If we move Freeney than we would have a lot of cap space. Probably look at bringing in people on d to fit our new scheme I imagine. Honestly...can you project our cap space in future years. With Peyton and Dwight coming off the books next year...there has to be HUGE room correct???

I don't know what others think but signing Garcon to a contract for any more than $6 million is not a plan as we have seen what it has done in the past when we pay our marginal emerging talent to keep them we have suffered. Honestly anything over $4 million is too much but I'm sure he will get more. The rest would see marginal increases I imagine and we stay under the cap easily. If we move Freeney than we would have a lot of cap space. Probably look at bringing in people on d to fit our new scheme I imagine. Honestly...can you project our cap space in future years. With Peyton and Dwight coming off the books next year...there has to be HUGE room correct???

I agree that Garcon is not worth $6MM or $7MM avg annual compensation. For that money we can get a quality FA WR1.

Freeney will be off the books in 2013 anyway since this is the last year of his contract, unless the team extends him.

It is difficult to project out the cap for 2013 and 2014 since I don't know the full roster for 2012 and the contracts that would be entered into to arrive at that roster.

But generally speaking, cutting Manning, opens up $18, $19, and $20MM in cap space alone for 2013, 2014 and 2015, respectively.

Yes..and if Freeney is off the books that is probably another 15-20 million we wont be paying. Basically we will have no major contracts on the team is what I am saying. We should...should baring bringing in a giant contract be looking at somewhere between 30-40 million under the cap...especially with the new TV contracts and the cap set to increase in the coming years.

Yes..and if Freeney is off the books that is probably another 15-20 million we wont be paying. Basically we will have no major contracts on the team is what I am saying. We should...should baring bringing in a giant contract be looking at somewhere between 30-40 million under the cap...especially with the new TV contracts and the cap set to increase in the coming years.

If we cut Freeney now, it will be a cap savings of $14.035MM.

Other major contracts still exist with Brackett, Clark, and now Mathis.

In addition, we have many holes to fill with many of our FAs leaving, especially at WR.

If we cut Freeney now, it will be a cap savings of $14.035MM.

Other major contracts still exist with Brackett, Clark, and now Mathis.

In addition, we have many holes to fill with many of our FAs leaving, especially at WR.

Is there a difference if we cut Brackett or Clark instead of trading them or vice versa? Whichever works better for the team is what im implying in asking..

Is there a difference if we cut Brackett or Clark instead of trading them or vice versa? Whichever works better for the team is what im implying in asking..

It is always better for the team to trade than to cut, because theoretically, the team receives something of benefit by sending away these players.

Cutting them only achieves relief in the cap. Trading also achieves that relief, but you get something back.

If Chap's tweet is accurate, the Colts have now cut Addai, Brackett, Bullitt, Clark and Painter.

So here is my revised team salary cap that takes all the above into account:

1) 32 contracted players with a 2012 cap hit of $86.01MM

2) Add Luck: 33 contracted players with a 2012 cap hit of $90.21MM

3) Add the premium above rookie minimums for picks #34 and #65 of $1.5MM and we have cap at $91.71MM

4) Add 20 remaining players to bring the roster up to a 53, all at rookie minimum salary and we have a total team cap at $99.51MM

5) Assuming the 2012 cap will be $119MM, this means we now have about $19.5MM in cap space to spend on FAs.

I feel very very very bad for season ticket holders this year! Makes my previous post of us locked into a top 5 pick next year look all but certain! I understand the qbs and addai but clark and bullitt! Wow we have wholes to fill!

yea im guessing they are taking #1 WR for luck next year . Maybe if they dont get their NT for a 34 next year?

Hopefully Free's expected departure can give us some more latitude in regards to money and a high selection. Hopefully.

If you assume Freeney is cut or traded, you can add $14.035MM to the $19.5MM in cap space for 2012 = $33.535MM for the FO to spend in cap space in FA.

I read on twitter that all these moves (including Peyton) cleared 51 million in cap space for the up coming season. That is before Freeney's contract is addressed which is going to be one way or another. That came from Jason La Canfora if you want a source.

I am projecting the 2012 team salary cap to be $119MM (1MM decrease from the 2011 total team salary cap) due to some speculation that the 47% owed assigned for player benefits according to the new CBA anticipates larger than expected health care costs, which will reduce the salary cap to force fit into that 47% of defined revenues.

I heard Mortensen speculating either $123 or $125 mil. for the 2012 salary cap. Is that not true?

I feel very very very bad for season ticket holders this year! Makes my previous post of us locked into a top 5 pick next year look all but certain! I understand the qbs and addai but clark and bullitt! Wow we have wholes to fill!

Addai, Clark and Bullitt haven't contributed in two years, including the 2010 playoff appearance. How does cutting players that weren't even playing the past two years make us worse?

If anything, these moves allow us to get better at positions that we need help at (offensive line, safety, defensive tackle, etc.)

For those interested, with the recent cuts, the 2013 roster now has 18 contracted players, and a total cap hit of $35MM, well below the anticipated total team cap of $120MM.

Someone check my math...

Add in the dead space and we're roughly looking at $65,842,750.00. Then add in Andrew Luck's expected hit of $5,000.000.00

So that is $70,842,750.00 in commitments for the 2012 season. Leaving us $49,157,250.00 to spend on 34 remaining roster spots (53 players - 18 players currently under contract = 34 roster spots (assuming Luck) left to fill.) assuming $120,000.000.00 cap.

That averages out to $1,445,801.47 per remaining roster spot.

I heard Mortensen speculating either $123 or $125 mil. for the 2012 salary cap. Is that not true?

I have heard projections from $118-$123.

Right now, I am giving more credence to the reports that state that Healthcare costs are eating away at the total players' revenue share per CBA, such that the salary cap will be hit.

If you assume Freeney is cut or traded, you can add $14.035MM to the $19.5MM in cap space for 2012 = $33.535MM for the FO to spend in cap space in FA.

UF, I heard on the radio that teams did not have to be under the cap until the 2013 season. If that is true then can teams spend above the cap this year as long as they are under the cap for 2013?