Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Cap

UndecidedFrog

Some contracts are fully guaranteed at the beginning of the league year, no? For instance, I was just reading the specifics of Chris Johnson's contract, and his salary for each year becomes guaranteed on the fifth day of the league year.

That's obviously not the case for camp fodder like future reserves or UDFAs, so it's a moot point.

Yes, each contract may have different clauses. Without the details, we can only assume.

For the majority of the camp fodder, I have noticed that they all get $390K for the 2012 season. I do not expect that all of them will get that, since some/most of them will be cut before the season begins. In the meantime, I am sure there is some payment made to them to get them to camp.

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 2012 salary cap issued by the league is $120.6 million, or $300,000 more than last year's salary cap.

I do not project the 2013 salary cap to be anything close to $200 million, because that is crazy talk.

I project a very modest growth of 1.00%, a little larger than this year's growth of 0.25%

So here are my projections for the salary caps in the future:

2013: $121.81

2014: $133.98 (TV revenues hit here)

2015: $136.66

2016: $139.40

I don't agree with BP on much, and this is another case. I do not see the cap increasing by $30 million in any year. Analysts generally agree that the cap will increase significantly when the additional TV revenues hit in 2014. I expect about a 10% increase when that happens. Some people, like BP, have confused 2014 for 2013.

Yeah, those numbers BP gave out seemed pretty high IMO. Thanks for the quick response!

2012 cap

updated to reflect K. Hayden and J. McClendon carryover cap hits

updated to reflect updates to the contracts data base spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/cap-hit/

updated to relect the positive carryover from 2011 http://profootballta...-space-by-team/

updated to reflect the Redskins/Cowboys penalty http://espn.go.com/n...lions-cap-space

updated to include Justice Adam Caplan@caplannfl

updated to include an estimate of Wayne $17.5MM; 3 years; $7.5MM upfront; 2.5,3.5,4 salaries

updated to include an estimate of Redding $10.5MM; 3 years; $5.25MM upfront; 1.25,1.5,2.5 salaries

updated to include an estimate of McGlynn at vet minimum $0.7MM

updated to include an esimate of Zbikowski at $5.5MM; 3 years; $1MM upfront; 0.75,1.25, 2.5 salaries http://profootball.s...d=5471436&fhn=1

updated to include signing all 9 draft picks (including compensatory picks)

updated to include an estimate of Satele at $10.8MM; 3 years; $3.2MM upfront; 0.7, 2.7, 4.2 salaries http://www.spotrac.c.../samson-satele/

updated to include the contracts of the remainder of the roster except Vittatoe.

updated to include Stanton at $0.75MM; 1 year http://www.nj.com/je...stanton_to.html

(all $ in MM)

58 players under contract = $79.92

Dead cap space = $36.46

Total current 2012 cap hit = $116.38

Salary Cap = $120.6

Add 2011 cap rollover = $2.5

Add cap space awarded by league (Cowboys/Redskins penalty) = $1.6

New Salary Cap = $124.7

Budgeting for draft picks

Luck = $4.20

8 additional draft picks (to reflect the remainder of our draft picks including compensatory picks) at rookie minimum= $3.12

Premiums for picks #34 and #65 = $1.5

Total budgeted cap hits for draft picks = $8.82

Available Cap Space w/o budget for draft picks = $8.32

Available Cap Space w/budget for draft picks = ($0.50)

Obviously, the team expects not to fulfill many of the camp fodder contracts at rookie minimum to get the cap space # back being in the black.

Alternatively, the resolution of the Freeney contract must be near.

Yes, each contract may have different clauses. Without the details, we can only assume.

For the majority of the camp fodder, I have noticed that they all get $390K for the 2012 season. I do not expect that all of them will get that, since some/most of them will be cut before the season begins. In the meantime, I am sure there is some payment made to them to get them to camp.

Historically, we've given between $1K and $5K as a signing bonus to 'camp fodder'. It's just never reported.

2012 cap

updated to reflect updates to the contracts data base spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/cap-hit/

updated to relect the positive carryover from 2011 http://profootballta...-space-by-team/

updated to reflect the Redskins/Cowboys penalty http://espn.go.com/n...lions-cap-space

updated to include an estimate of Wayne $17.5MM; 3 years; $7.5MM upfront; 2.5,3.5,4 salaries

updated to include an estimate of Redding $10.5MM; 3 years; $5.25MM upfront; 1.25,1.5,2.5 salaries

updated to include an esimate of Zbikowski at $5.5MM; 3 years; $1MM upfront; 0.75,1.25, 2.5 salaries http://profootball.s...d=5471436&fhn=1

updated to include an estimate of Satele at $10.8MM; 3 years; $3.2MM upfront; 0.7, 2.7, 4.2 salaries http://www.spotrac.c.../samson-satele/

updated to include the contracts of the remainder of the roster except Vittatoe.

updated to include Stanton at $0.75MM; 1 year http://www.nj.com/je...stanton_to.html

(all $ in MM)

Dead cap space = $36.46

Salary Cap = $120.6

New Salary Cap = $124.7

Luck = $4.20

8 additional draft picks (to reflect the remainder of our draft picks including compensatory picks) at rookie minimum= $3.12

Obviously, the team expects not to fulfill many of the camp fodder contracts at rookie minimum to get the cap space # back being in the black.

Alternatively, the resolution of the Freeney contract must be near.

wow I can't believe we only have 500k left, thought we had more than that..yea the clock is ticking on Freeney's time as a Colt..no way we can sign more than one undrafted rookie with that cap space...even though most of them will be cut by the end of training camp.

wow I can't believe we only have 500k left, thought we had more than that..yea the clock is ticking on Freeney's time as a Colt..no way we can sign more than one undrafted rookie with that cap space...even though most of them will be cut by the end of training camp.

Actually, we are $500K in the red, according to my estimates. However, my estimates may be wrong, since I do not have the perfect information that the Colts FO does.

Suffice it to say that they are at their cap capacity, including their 9 draft picks, until some rearrangement of contracts are made. Specifically, and most dramatically will be the resolution of the Freeney contract.

i would expect that just because we are against the cap now, doesn't mean we are out of the FA market

i'm assuming all teams go into camp over, knowing lots of cuts are to come

Your expectation would be correct. The team will manage the cap situation tightly, as it must. I think there is still room to do one or maybe two more smallish FA signings, knowing that after TC, we can recoup some cap room going forward.

Could someone give me a number on how much space we have next year. I heard 60M and my math says in the 60s. Im not good at using the correct numbers, but I have good math...

From my information, the 2013 cap room the Colts have to work under is $62.45 million, assuming Luck/RG3 as a contracted player.

But keep in mind, there is another bumper crop of 30+ FAs in 2013:

Caldwell, Collie, Cosby, Edds, Evans, Fayson, Freeney, Gronkowski, Harvey, Hickman, AJohnson, King, Kirkpatrick, Linkenbach, McAfee, Moala, Murphy, Ogbu, Olsen Peguese, Powers, Reitz, Ross, Shipley, Snow, Tepper, Vittatoe, White, Justice, Stanton, Avery (?).

Hence there are a lot of holes to fill.

From my information, the 2013 cap room the Colts have to work under is $62.45 million, assuming Luck/RG3 as a contracted player.

But keep in mind, there is another bumper crop of 30+ FAs in 2013:

Caldwell, Collie, Cosby, Edds, Evans, Fayson, Freeney, Gronkowski, Harvey, Hickman, AJohnson, King, Kirkpatrick, Linkenbach, McAfee, Moala, Murphy, Ogbu, Olsen Peguese, Powers, Reitz, Ross, Shipley, Snow, Tepper, Vittatoe, White, Justice, Stanton, Avery (?).

Hence there are a lot of holes to fill.

Keep in mind that guys like Vittatoe, Peguese, Cosby, Gonkowski, Harvey, and some other guys won't be kept. I'm looking at low 20's in free agents. I say after the signings, we'll have about 30M in cap space to spend on FAs.

i would expect that just because we are against the cap now, doesn't mean we are out of the FA market

i'm assuming all teams go into camp over, knowing lots of cuts are to come

No, it's a hard cap in the NFL.

To manage large rosters, the NFL has (or at least used to have) the Rule of 51 where the top 51 cap hits for that season count towards the cap. Then, once final cuts are made the remaining 53 salaries count. As some players who were included in the top-51 cap hits are undoubtedly cut, some cap space is usually created and the team is able to absorb not just the other two players, but also some in-season injury replacements (though not fully). However, since players on IR still count against the cap, as do their replacements, you typically carry an extra $3M-$5M to be able to sign those replacement players.

You cannot be over the cap for a league year during that league year, ever.

2012 cap

(all $ in MM)

Dead cap space = $36.46

Salary Cap = $120.6

New Salary Cap = $124.7

Luck = $4.20

We are still under the cap give the rule of 51 right now.

We will still be under the cap after the draft if my budget for draftees is accurate given the rule of 51.

Colts GM Ryan Grigson was adamant at the Owners Meetings on Monday that the team will not be trading RE Dwight Freeney.

It sounds like the Colts are willing to swallow Freeney's $19 million cap number in order to field a competitive defense. "I'm looking forward to Dwight Freeney being part of the Colts' defense in 2012," Grigson said. "He will be a Colt." Freeney could play the Terrell Suggs right-end role with Robert Mathis ticketed for Jarret Johnson duties in Chuck Pagano's Ravens-like defense.

I'd prefer to keep him at a better cap number, but it sounds like Grigson is trying to get a better offer for him.

Even still, if we do keep him, there's nothing in that short quote above that suggests that we're willing to keep him at $19 million for 2012. In fact, based on our cap figures as estimated above, we absolutely must do something with Freeney's contract.

You cant force him to redo a contract.

Could we force Manning to lower his bonus?

No, we can't force anyone to do anything. But I'm assuming that keeping him at $19 million isn't really an option. We'd either trade him for a pick, or release him.

I'll also state that Manning's bonus was much more complicated than Freeney's base salary.

Its not really complicated.. Manning didn't want to restructure his contract.. and I really doubt Freeney will want to since he saw what happened to Manning.

Manning's bonus couldn't be restructured, given the date it was due and the way it was affected by league rules. And at the end of the day, it was Irsay who decided he wanted to move on.

As for Freeney, his base salary is not guaranteed. We can cut him now and he gets nothing. Or, we can extend his contract, pay him his base salary as an upfront bonus, and give him another three years on his deal. It's in his best interests to agree to a new contract, and even if we cut him in training camp, he'll be better off.

Like I said, it's two completely different situations, and you're missing a lot of the fine print.

No trust me I understand everything, but his agent is Peyton's agent. Im sure he could make more money elsewhere and hes not willing to renegotiate otherwise it would of already happened.

Not sure this is true. I'd imagine the free agent market (including former Colts) is a higher priority than working out a restructured deal or a trade of someone already under contract. My guess is that beyond discussing options, very little has been done to finalize plans for Freeney yet. I still won't be surprised if, as others have said, this is a way to try to build his trade value, and something big happens during draft weekend.

No trust me I understand everything, but his agent is Peyton's agent. Im sure he could make more money elsewhere and hes not willing to renegotiate otherwise it would of already happened.

That's completely irrelevant, but no big. My point is just that it makes no sense to carry him at $19 million this season.

Tom Brady and many other Steelers/Raiders players have restructured their contracts to free up money for their teams to sign FAs.. why would we wait to restructure his where we could get 14 million dollars to sign more people?

Tom Brady restructured his contract by essentially deferring his cap hit for 2012 into later years. He actually converted his salary into a bonus, got his money upfront and guaranteed, and dropped his base salary. Same money, just due at a different time, and it alows the team to adjust the cap hit. Same thing with other players who have restructured their contracts. There are no later years to defer Freeney's salary into.

What you can do, however, is extend his contract. Give him a total of $50 million over four years (including 2012), convert his 2012 base salary of $14 million into a signing bonus, give him a roster bonus of $2 million a season for 2012-2015, and lower his 2012 base salary to $1 million. He'd make a total of $17 million in 2012 (instead of the $14 million he's set to make), and his new contract cap hit for 2012 would be $6.5 million + the $5 million dead hit for his previous signing bonus = $11.5 million. That's better for him right now, and it's better for him in the future, and it's better for the team.

Why it hasn't happened yet is a valid question. It may be that Freeney doesn't want to play in Pagano's team, and would rather force a release than be traded. That way, he can hit the free agent market and get a new signing bonus. Whatever he wants, it's pretty obvious that he expects something to happen in short order, otherwise he wouldn't have hired an agent after being without one for over a year.

Tom Brady and many other Steelers/Raiders players have restructured their contracts to free up money for their teams to sign FAs.. why would we wait to restructure his where we could get 14 million dollars to sign more people?

Because the Steelers and Raiders have more than the last year to work with their respective players to restructure their contracts.

Freeney is in his last year of contract. There are no future years to restructure unless he agrees to extend. It is not the same situation.

why would we wait to restructure his where we could get 14 million dollars to sign more people?

I'll also note that, pending signing any draft picks, we still have over $8 million in cap space, per Frog's breakdown. We don't need to do something with Freeney's contract in order to sign more players. We will, after the draft. But right now, we're fine.

Everything that Gridson and Pagano have been doing so far has been BRILIANT! BUT, why in the heck are we bringing back Freeney? I don't understand this move even a little! Dwight doesnt fit into a Pagano style D at all. The only thing I can figure is that Dwight must be willing to redo his contract to be preformance oriented! Dwight is way to small to play one of the 3 DL and not athletic enough to play LB.

Everything that Gridson and Pagano have been doing so far has been BRILIANT! BUT, why in the heck are we bringing back Freeney? I don't understand this move even a little! Dwight doesnt fit into a Pagano style D at all. The only thing I can figure is that Dwight must be willing to redo his contract to be preformance oriented! Dwight is way to small to play one of the 3 DL and not athletic enough to play LB.

I think all will become clear in about a month's time.

I'll also note that, pending signing any draft picks, we still have over $8 million in cap space, per Frog's breakdown. We don't need to do something with Freeney's contract in order to sign more players. We will, after the draft. But right now, we're fine.

I agree but been saying over and over let Freeney go.I know it takes time to rebuild a team but, why wait til later to get started? I dont even like a restructured contract anymore being a Freeney fan its hard to let go. Then again we got rid of Peyton we knew that day would happen sometime just caught us a lil earlier than expected.Who really believes wholeheartedly that Freeney is worth another 14 mil against a cap year that we have 38 mil in dead money?Seriously lets all move on build the best we can this year get a bunch of rookies some playtime.Then next year finish off our needs in Fa and draft and become AFC champs again.You heard it here first i have much faith in HC get on board and stay on not going to take 3 or 4 or 5 years to beat the Texans.Might be a long season for us but we lived thru last under Collins Painter and ovls cant be worse.

We paid Hayden 43M over five years!??!

Gee thanks Polian for more holes to dig ourselves out of. Geesh!

We also need to let Freeney walk. He has had his hand in the dirt for his entire career, and now we are going to ask him to stand up?? Not too optimistic about that.

We better draft a stud TE too. Letting Tamme walk was a huge mistake. Clark was on his last leg, but Tamme was more than a suitable replacement! Especially when Luck utilizes his TE's! <- just like Manning

I agree but been saying over and over let Freeney go.I know it takes time to rebuild a team but, why wait til later to get started? I dont even like a restructured contract anymore being a Freeney fan its hard to let go. Then again we got rid of Peyton we knew that day would happen sometime just caught us a lil earlier than expected.Who really believes wholeheartedly that Freeney is worth another 14 mil against a cap year that we have 38 mil in dead money?Seriously lets all move on build the best we can this year get a bunch of rookies some playtime.Then next year finish off our needs in Fa and draft and become AFC champs again.You heard it here first i have much faith in HC get on board and stay on not going to take 3 or 4 or 5 years to beat the Texans.Might be a long season for us but we lived thru last under Collins Painter and ovls cant be worse.

I don't mind a new contract for Freeney, because he's still a good player. But if it comes down to keeping him at $19 million or cutting him (or trading him for a low pick), I'm pretty sure we won't keep him at $19 million. Again, the numbers don't work, not as they currently stand.

Like you, I don't think it's going to take very long to be back in the mix in our division. The Texans could easily fall below .500 this year, given the players they've lost. They were only 10-6 last year, not a Goliath at all. And they have a head coach who was facing the firing squad last offseason. Everyone's pumping them up to be infallible, but to me, they're still a mediocre team with mediocre leadership. I like what Wade Phillips did with the defense, but historically, his defense falls off in Year 2.

That was going rate for a starting corner in 2009. Not a good contract, given how much he produced for us, but it's not exactly like everyone was itching to let Hayden walk back then. He was our best corner, and we paid him market value.

We also need to let Freeney walk. He has had his hand in the dirt for his entire career, and now we are going to ask him to stand up?? Not too optimistic about that.

We better draft a stud TE too. Letting Tamme walk was a huge mistake. Clark was on his last leg, but Tamme was more than a suitable replacement! Especially when Luck utilizes his TE's! <- just like Manning

I totally agree on Tamme Lolly. I saw on Colts.com the article on the TEs???? Brody freaking Eldridge???? Anthony Hill? WOW!!!!

The apparent discrepancy is due to counting only the top 51 contracts before the regular season begins.

In my calculations I am calculating the entire roster's worth of contracts, currently 60 players.

If we assume the bottom 9 contracts at rookie minimum ($390K), my 51-contract cap space will be increased by $3.51 million.

51 contract cap space = current cap space $8.32MM + $3.51MM = $11.83MM

versus what NFL.com is reporting at $10.62MM

I am not that far off.

The apparent discrepancy is due to counting only the top 51 contracts before the regular season begins.

In my calculations I am calculating the entire roster's worth of contracts, currently 60 players.

If we assume the bottom 9 contracts at rookie minimum ($390K), my 51-contract cap space will be increased by $3.51 million.

51 contract cap space = current cap space $8.32MM + $3.51MM = $11.83MM

versus what NFL.com is reporting at $10.62MM

I am not that far off.

The question is, whos right?

I apologize if this has already been answered, but from what I gather, you still have to be under the cap even when you go into camp with your 80 man roster no?

I don't see how that works. There's a pretty large amount of guys that are going to be cut, at the very least close to $10 mil worth, with all 27 guys being paid a minimal salary at $350,000.