Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Cap

UndecidedFrog

I apologize if this has already been answered, but from what I gather, you still have to be under the cap even when you go into camp with your 80 man roster no?

I don't see how that works. There's a pretty large amount of guys that are going to be cut, at the very least close to $10 mil worth, with all 27 guys being paid a minimal salary at $350,000.

Actually, the answer is more complicated. Forgive me if I get too technical here.

According to the CBA, the team cap is calculated 2 ways. depending on the period of time we are in.

1) Between the beginning of the league year and the start of the regular season, the team cap is calculated as (article 13, sections 5 and 6) everything for the top 51 contracted players, and only some aspects of a players compensation for the remaining players on roster.

https://images.nflpl...les/2011CBA.pdf

2) After the first day of the regular season, the team cap is calculated as everything for all contracted players on the roster.

Since we are clearly in the first category, and clearly I do not have perfect information on all the contracts of the current contracted players on roster, I would trust the cap space remaining as reported by nfl.com. However, readers should realize that this is calculating the cap space according to category 1. The Colts FO will keep tabs on how to get to category 2 calculations by doing the analysis similar to mine above.

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope until Freeney gets cut or restructured were up against the cap now,just enough room to sign draft picks:(

We don't have to sign draft picks for several months. As of right now we do have enough cap space to sign another player or two, but come July we'll have to make room for our draft picks. That's obviously playing with fire, and could either cost us some good players or some money, or both, so it's not advisable. But if we wanted to make a play for Asante Samuel (I don't think we should, by the way), we could.

We don't have to sign draft picks for several months. As of right now we do have enough cap space to sign another player or two, but come July we'll have to make room for our draft picks. That's obviously playing with fire, and could either cost us some good players or some money, or both, so it's not advisable. But if we wanted to make a play for Asante Samuel (I don't think we should, by the way), we could.

Yes, we do have cap space (about $10.6MM) to sign more players, because the cap is calculated as (1) the top 51 contracts from the beginning of the LY to the first day of the regular season. When the first day of the regular season starts, the cap is calculated as (2) all the contracted players. If we calculate the cap now with method (2), we have cap space of $8.2MM. If you budget for the rookies we intend to draft and sign, we would already be in a slightly negative situation by about $0.5MM, which wouldn't count until method (2) is used at the beginning of the regular season.

Yes, we do have cap space (about $10.6MM) to sign more players, because the cap is calculated as (1) the top 51 contracts from the beginning of the LY to the first day of the regular season. When the first day of the regular season starts, the cap is calculated as (2) all the contracted players. If we calculate the cap now with method (2), we have cap space of $8.2MM. If you budget for the rookies we intend to draft and sign, we would already be in a slightly negative situation by about $0.5MM, which wouldn't count until method (2) is used at the beginning of the regular season.

The cap master has spoken ty Frog.Still would dump Freeney for a vet CB and NT to help transition defIMO

It does appear to be very tight capwise. I find it hard to believe we will be able to get below the cap after signing all our draft picks and filling out the roster along with keeping Freeney...but if Pittsburg is going to get below the cap surely our FO can figure it out.

2012 cap

updated to reflect K. Hayden and J. McClendon carryover cap hits

updated to reflect updates to the contracts data base spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/cap-hit/

updated to relect the positive carryover from 2011 http://profootballta...-space-by-team/

updated to reflect the Redskins/Cowboys penalty http://espn.go.com/n...lions-cap-space

updated to include Justice Adam Caplan@caplannfl

updated to include an estimate of Wayne $17.5MM; 3 years; $7.5MM upfront; 2.5,3.5,4 salaries

updated to include an estimate of Redding $10.5MM; 3 years; $5.25MM upfront; 1.25,1.5,2.5 salaries

updated to include an estimate of McGlynn at vet minimum $0.7MM

updated to include an esimate of Zbikowski at $5.5MM; 3 years; $1MM upfront; 0.75,1.25, 2.5 salaries http://profootball.s...d=5471436&fhn=1

updated to include signing all 9 draft picks (including compensatory picks)

updated to include an estimate of Satele at $10.8MM; 3 years; $3.2MM upfront; 0.7, 2.7, 4.2 salaries http://www.spotrac.c.../samson-satele/

updated to include Stanton at $0.75MM; 1 year http://www.nj.com/je...stanton_to.html

updated to include estimates for the contracts of Vittatoe; Overton; Miller, all at rookie minimum

(all $ in MM)

62 players under contract = $81.40

Dead cap space = $36.46

Total current 2012 cap hit = $117.86

Salary Cap = $120.6

Add 2011 cap rollover = $2.5

Add cap space awarded by league (Cowboys/Redskins penalty) = $1.6

New Salary Cap = $124.7

Budgeting for draft picks

Luck = $4.20

9 additional draft picks (to reflect the remainder of our draft picks including compensatory picks) at rookie minimum= $3.51

Premiums for picks #34 and #64 = $1.5

Total budgeted cap hits for draft picks = $9.21

Cap space calculation method 1: From beginning of LY to first day of regular season: top 51 contracts

Available Cap Space w/o budget for draft picks = $11.13

Available Cap Space w/budget for draft picks = $1.92

Cap space calculation method 2: From first day of regular season to end of LY: All contracts

Available Cap Space w/o budget for draft picks = $6.84

Available Cap Space w/budget for draft picks =($2.37)

2.37 million is very tight considering we have a lot of holes on the defense. I know draft picks will fill some of those but that is just 9 picks and some may be back ups. Not a lot of room left for resigning or picking up guys except at the minimum. Unlocking that 14 million for Freeney would sure be nice. Give us breathing room and I pray bring a late 2nd or 3rd round pick...something we could turn into a NT or DB help. That said if we didn't get a 2nd round pick I would probably keep Freeney too and see how he transitions....at least until the trade deadline.

2.37 million is very tight considering we have a lot of holes on the defense. I know draft picks will fill some of those but that is just 9 picks and some may be back ups. Not a lot of room left for resigning or picking up guys except at the minimum. Unlocking that 14 million for Freeney would sure be nice. Give us breathing room and I pray bring a late 2nd or 3rd round pick...something we could turn into a NT or DB help. That said if we didn't get a 2nd round pick I would probably keep Freeney too and see how he transitions....at least until the trade deadline.

We are already in the red per method 2 calculation. Obviously we will need to do some cutting before the first day of the regular season.

We may even have to do some rearrangements of existing contracts before then to make enough room for FAs that command more than league minimum.

Keep in mind the Colts have about 60M in cap space at the beginning of FA next year.

I don't think they are shooting for a SB victory this season anyway. Next year will be good once we free up a big chunk of that dead cap space. I think we just need to sit tight and let this year play out. It can't be any worse than last year and if we have a lousy record we still draft high and have some cash to pick up an impact FA or two.

We are already in the red per method 2 calculation. Obviously we will need to do some cutting before the first day of the regular season.

We may even have to do some rearrangements of existing contracts before then to make enough room for FAs that command more than league minimum.

Sorry. I saw that as left. Definately need some restructuring. Freeney has to be delt with one way or another. Can't keep him at his current salary without extending it or trading/cutting. Probably why he got an agent.

Keep in mind the Colts have about 60M in cap space at the beginning of FA next year.

Yes but we have some key players we will want to resign...many we will want to resign this year probably to lock them in before they hit the market and their price goes up. Austin Collie is one for sure. Out in FA he will get far more than if we restructure him now. Powers, McAfee, and even Freeney possibly will be our FA next year that we probably will like to resign before they become FA. I imagine Freeney will try FA since he could get a lot of money likely. That means restructuring him here will be difficult because of the pay day he would likely be passing up. Still I would rather resign Collie now and extend him (to do that likely would be a hit to our cap this year). We need that money from Freeney.

Yes but we have some key players we will want to resign...many we will want to resign this year probably to lock them in before they hit the market and their price goes up. Austin Collie is one for sure. Out in FA he will get far more than if we restructure him now. Powers, McAfee, and even Freeney possibly will be our FA next year that we probably will like to resign before they become FA. I imagine Freeney will try FA since he could get a lot of money likely. That means restructuring him here will be difficult because of the pay day he would likely be passing up. Still I would rather resign Collie now and extend him (to do that likely would be a hit to our cap this year). We need that money from Freeney.

Use to like the idea of restructuring Freeney but seriously dg how many NTs CBs and a OLB can u sign for that?Just makes no sense to gamble nearly 1 mill a game in cap space for a trial run.Drop Freeney like a hot tater we got rid of Peyton can we not get rid of 1 more for sole purpose of bettering team.I also like Dwight followed his whole career but ole man time catches us all would u drop 14 mill in Vegas on REd ?

Use to like the idea of restructuring Freeney but seriously dg how many NTs CBs and a OLB can u sign for that?Just makes no sense to gamble nearly 1 mill a game in cap space for a trial run.Drop Freeney like a hot tater we got rid of Peyton can we not get rid of 1 more for sole purpose of bettering team.I also like Dwight followed his whole career but ole man time catches us all would u drop 14 mill in Vegas on REd ?

Well I prefer us trading him. I do believe he has a market. After the draft we see a lot of teams miss on their targeted players. Also, every year we see some important players go down from injury on playoff contention teams or teams expecting to go. That said we have until Week 6 to move him or if they pass the trade deadline changes then til Week 8. If that holds we can try him out...if we like what he gives us extend him or if we don't trade him to someone that needs a pass rusher....and thats like half the league. He is a pro bowler..his contract makes him hard to trade but if we allow his agent to negotiate with other teams so that it is a sign and trade then suddenly he is definately worth a 2nd rounder. I agree. We need upgrades in so many locations it isn't logical to keep that contract in place.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted · Hidden by Peytongirl, May 19, 2012 - OT discussion about frog
Hidden by Peytongirl, May 19, 2012 - OT discussion about frog

What happened to Undecidedfrog? I was on vacation and missed whatever happened. Can't find anything through search. I enjoyed this cap thread.

What happened to Undecidedfrog? I was on vacation and missed whatever happened. Can't find anything through search. I enjoyed this cap thread.

We're not sure. We had a thread on it a few weeks back and the mods said it was "not up for discussion". I still think it was a Frogger related accident!

Says Banned on his name so Im not sure either, he was a huge help and a good guy to at least I thought anyway

• 4 weeks later...